• Published 12th Jun 2012
  • 3,069 Views, 41 Comments

The Tale of the Opal Serpent - LunarEclipse77



A young man gets sent to Equestria, and his soul is placed in a gigantic opal amphiptere - or snake with wings. Another installment in the Chess Game of the Gods universe.

  • ...
2
 41
 3,069

(2) A New Addition

The Tale of the Opal Serpent

By: LunarEclipse77


I do not own My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, or any characters contained within. My Little Pony: FiM is copyright of Hasbro and Lauren Faust. I do, however, retain copyright of my own characters.


Chapter 2: A New Addition



I woke up slowly and quietly, savoring my state of half-awakeness like a fine wine. Wait. I didn’t even drink, I was too young. I savored my state of half-awakeness like a gourmet meal. Reluctantly acknowledging that my pleasurable half sleep had ended with that little bout of deciding how I savored it, I threw open my eyes and embraced the dawn.

Did I say dawn? I meant midnight. Having completely opaque eyelids doesn’t help you discern the brightness of the outside world as much as one would think. Sighing, I curled back into a comfortable coil, trying to go back to sleep and failing miserably. Resigned to my fate, I instead chose to reflect on the events that had landed me here.

On a walk to escape a shouting match between my aunt and uncle while they were drunk to the point that I probably should have called the hospital, I had met a man who, after a short conversation, had sent me to Equestria. Or near it, anyways. I had woken up as a snake thing with wings, and apparently no longer have any organs at all. How I am alive remains a question whose only answer is finicky and unreliable at best: magic.

Now, with the one who sent me here comfortable residing in my head, I was determined to…What was I going to do here, exactly? I had no idea. Meeting the Mane Six was too manestream (See what I did there?), so that was out. Nah, who am I kidding, that was a must. I figured after that, travel? I could see the world better than almost anybody, considering that I could fly and didn’t have to worry about annoying things, like eating and breathing.

So, Mane Six, then travel. But how was I going to get to Ponyville? I’d never seen anybody like me in the show, so I had no idea what would happen to me. Nothing good, I supposed. And where was I going to travel? The bottom of the ocean sounded cool, so I was definitely out. I had seen way too many movies about sea monsters to want to go there.

What about space? I was a perfect candidate for Equestria’s space program, if they even had one. Yet another thing I need to know. I could just try to fly into space. Nah, that sounded ridiculous. Definitely doing it.

Suddenly, the cloud beneath me was ripped apart by an explosion. In the suddenness, I forgot that I had wings and plummeted straight into the ground. Fortunately, my body was unbreakable (Or so Sapphire said) and I couldn’t feel any pain, so it wasn’t exactly a painful landing. Right as I got used to being on the ground again, a net was thrown at me.

I blinked a little confusedly at my captors. They were standing on two legs, but I couldn’t see much more than that in the darkness. Strangely enough, as they dragged me across the ground, a word came to me, and I spoke it as quietly as possible.

“Conspectuss.” My snake-like lisp/rasp at the end took me a bit by surprise, but then, I was a snake. As soon as I spoke it, I could see as if it were...about sundown. Not entirely dark, but not super-bright out either.

It turned out that my captors were Diamond Dogs. One of them had a belt with several different vials, full of liquids that I didn’t have the faintest idea what they did, and held a sack that appeared to be kicking at him, and I heard a few muffled yells coming from it. The others were dressed in tattered leather tunics, and held badly made stone swords. I was no swordsman (Swords-snake?) and even I could tell that they had no idea what to do with them.

I looked at the net as they used it to drag me across the ground. The threads themselves weren’t very strong looking, but they weren’t spaced far enough apart for me to slither through, unfortunately. I seem to be saying that a lot of things are unfortunate lately. That’s because they are.

Just bite through them.’ Sapphire said. Sensing my skepticism, he continued. ‘You yourself said that the thread isn’t very strong. You merely need to bite through them, and you shall be free.

I dubiously bit through one strand. It was ridiculously easy, considering my dragon teeth. Did I not mention those? Sorry, I have them. Just as I bit through the second strand, a couple of claws ripped through a few inches of the leather bag the one with the vials was carrying. Instantly, he curled a paw into a fist and slammed it into the bag. The flailing in it stopped instantly.

My rage rose like a leviathan off of the sea floor the second he did that, and I snapped my wings open, tearing the net holding me to shreds. “You shouldn’t have done that.” I hissed (Har har) menacingly.

It took a few seconds for them to react. The first one to do so was the leader, and he threw a vial filled with some green liquid at me. I covered my face with a wing, and it shattered, spewing some sickly green gas. It didn’t do anything else, so I just ignored it and dove through it at the nearest dog, impaled him with my fangs in his chest and lifted him off of the ground like a ragdoll. While I wanted to let go, some instinct took over, and suddenly I was pumping some sort of venom into him. Based on the way he thrashed and howled, it hurt like the devil, but my iron jaws (Okay, opal jaws. Happy?) held him in place.

The next dog brought down a stone sword onto my head, though the weak blade shattered, leaving him standing there, astonished at the fact that my head wasn’t sliced in half. I snorted and dispatched him like I had the first one.

As if a blade of weak stone could cut through Spirit Opal.’ Sapphire said annoyingly, causing me to be hit again by a dog.

Not helping.’ I told him as I tail-whipped the dog who had hit me, sending him flying with a sickening crunch.

I dove forwards at the leader, simultaneously extending my wings. A dog was unfortunate enough to be standing to one side while I did so, and thusly my wing cut him in half.

The last dog, the leader stood there with a spear (Where’d that come from?) pointed directly at the bag. “Wouldn’t dare.” He said. I merely spat my venom like a cobra straight into his face, and he fell down screaming.

I took this opportunity to survey my handiw-wait…What I had done (Confound my lack of hands!). One has on the ground, staring blankly at the sky with several bones punched through his chest. Another was on the ground, bleeding out slowly from the waist and crying for his mother. The leader was on the ground, and, despite the gruesomeness of the others, he made me recoil, because he had no face. It was melted off of him. Where the first two had been were puddles of silvery goo. I slithered over to look at them a bit closer and two spheres about the size of marbles shot out of the pools and straight into where my wings connected with my body. I was thankful that I couldn’t feel pain, because it probably hurt. A lot.

I slithered over to the one who I had cut in half, and he whispered to me. I leaned down closer to hear it as he repeated it. “Re…lease…me…” Feeling an immense amount of pity well up from out of nowhere, I lightly tapped his head so that he was unconscious, and then bit him on the arm. This time I watched as he melted His fur slowly turned to shining silver, slowly turning into large clumps whenever they touched each other. The rest of him slowly shrank like a balloon losing its air. It eventually formed another silver puddle. Strangely enough, his lower body did too, even though it had no connection to the upper half. The sphere flew into me as I turned away, in between the other ones.

Then I turned to the leader. Or, more specifically, the bag he was holding. I went over and bit through the leather, causing the bag’s occupant to squeak with fear. I jerked back my head suddenly, ripping open the bag.

Inside, there was a…griffin? It didn’t look like a normal griffin to me, but I guess it could’ve been normal. It’s Equestria, who knows? Anyways, the griffin in question had what looked like the front end of a red-tailed hawk (Look it up, if you don’t know) and the back end of what appeared to be a Siamese cat. He was about as big as one, too.

“Done gawking yet?” He asked with mild irritation. I could tell that it was a he because of the voice, which was surprisingly deep for one so small.

Another shocker was that his mildly deep voice for a youngster held no candle to my own unnaturally deep bass voice. “Sure. Just what kind of griffin are you? I mean, I’ve never seen one like you before.”

He flinched, almost as startled as I was by my voice. “I don’t know. There aren’t that many griffins like me. Brown feathers, maybe, but not like this. And none of them have the back end of a kitten!” He said, mildly defensive.

“I know. Sorry if I came across as rude. And how old are you, exactly? And what’s your name? Wha-”

“My name is Raze, and I’m about thirteen.” He said, cutting off my questions. “And before you ask, I don’t know why I’m so small. I was told that most griffins had a growth spurt at about ten, and reach full adult size by twelve. I never hit it, though.”

“Okay. Wow, thank you, that was pretty informative. What you to lack in size, you make up for in brains. You remind me of a certain thirteen year old that I know…” I said, surprised at the wordiness of his answer. And age.

“Who?”

“Would you believe that that would be me? Because I am. I was, ah, forced to look like this.” I said.

Hey! Technically, you asked for it!

Rolling my eyes at Sapphire, even if he was right, I asked Raze something. “Since I am rather lacking in appendages with the ability to grab anything, could you please collect the bags that the dogs were carrying and bring them to me.” He did as I asked, dragging the five bags out in front of me. “And, could you open them? Please?” He opened them, then stood back as I slithered over and stuck my head into the first bag.

Inside were gems of pretty high quality. I pulled my head and looked at the others, finding more of the same, as well as a few pieces of beautifully carved wood. The fifth, however, had other things. In it were about three dozen different vials, every dozen with a different colored liquid. One kind I recognized as the green gas, another was some amber color, and the last was purple.

I withdrew and nosed through the straps of each in turn, then rose up, causing them to slide down and rest between my shoulders. I felt a bit of extra weight than the bags should have been and sighed, immediately suspecting something. “Raze, get off.”

He probably shook his head, but the gesture was lost on me, as I couldn’t see it. “No. I’m coming with you.” He said stubbornly.

I immediately got a mildly trollish grin, but I quelled it quickly. “Go back, Sam! I’m going to Mordor alone!”

He looked at me, well and truly confused. “W-what? Where’s Mordor? And who is this ‘Sam’?”

“You just…ruined it. You suck. Anyways, if you want to come, get a knife or something.” He complied, running off to the dogs that I had slaughtered and grabbing a crude knife with a…was that a diamond?! Yes, it had a diamond blade. Cool.

With the thought of adventure in mind, I flew off.

---

As I leveled off, flying towards the forest-y looking line of black that I saw on the edge of the horizon, it hit me that I had just killed something. Not just one something, but several somethings. And you know what really scared me? What really, truly scared me, deep down inside, on a level only matched by spiders? I felt very little – if any – remorse.

I had never killed anything before in my life (Not counting a certain kind of eight-legged menace), much less sentient creatures! Sure they had tried to do…whatever to me, but I had reacted with lethal force! And according to Sapphire, I had also stolen their souls. Yes, those little marbles are souls. Don’t ask me how, because that was something that I really didn’t want to think about.

“Hey, uh, mister?” My passenger asked.

“Yeah?’

“Do you know where we’re going?”

“Uhh…” I said. I had actually planned on settling down in the trees I had seen. Looking down, I saw that they were right under us. “Yeah. Can you fly?”

He sounded a little apprehensive. “No, but I can hover. Why do you ask?”

I grinned evilly. “When I tell you to jump, do it and hover. Okay?” Not waiting for an answer, I immediately dove straight down. I waited a few seconds, then shouted “JUMP!” I felt the weight on my back lesson a bit. I just powered forwards, yelling some Latin word. Seriously, where the heck were they coming from? It was beginning to sound like something that’d turn into a deus ex machinima. Getting a little too genre savvy there. Probably shouldn’t…Oh look, the ground. And with that, I slammed into the ground.

It was actually interesting, feeling the force of something without the pain. It was actually more of a gentle pressure all over. I picked my head up and looked around. I had landed on a massive, flat boulder that was perhaps twenty feet across that had been split into several smaller pieces, probably to demonstrate the force with which I had landed by the auth–whoa there, getting into dangerous territory.

I felt something (Presumably Raze) lightly settle on to my back. Looking around some more, I saw a thin stream running through the small clearing we were in. The dirt was covered with thin, scraggly grass and the trees were gnarly and bent from trying to live off of the devastated land. I slowly slid off of the boulder, being careful not to unseat Raze. It seemed that two particularly large pieces of the boulder had cracked in such a way as to create a small cave big enough for Raze to lay in comfortably. I wasn’t quite as scared for my safety, as the fight with the Diamond Dogs and smashing into the ground had confirmed my thoughts that this form was almost, if not completely, invulnerable.

“Whelp, this is as good a place as any. Go to sleep, Raze.” I said, going off to gather some firewood. It was actually kinda fun to do so, seeing as how I basically just tailwhipped a few trees over. After I dragged them, trunks and all over, to form a kind of huge campfire, I ignised them ablaze and crawled into the middle of the fire, using it as my own cave, and fell asleep.

Opal is getting a little Genre Savvy here, and also demonstrates his invulnerability. I just liked Raze too much to let him go, so here he is. I added a little bit of thought to murder, so yay. Probably not as much as I should, so I might have more on that later. This has me back into writing, so I may post some more within a few days. No promises, though.

Author's Note:

Opal is getting a little Genre Savvy here, and also demonstrates his invulnerability. I just liked Raze too much to let him go, so here he is. I added a little bit of thought to murder, so yay. Probably not as much as I should, so I might have more on that later. This has me back into writing, so I may post some more within a few days. No promises, though.