• Published 12th Feb 2016
  • 1,011 Views, 80 Comments

Shades Of The Past - Bluecatcinema



Shine goes to a small town to investigate a bandit leader... and learns more than he bargained for.

  • ...
3
 80
 1,011

Lineage

Flashback...

After their big kiss, Black and Belle had found themselves closer than ever. They had gone out for picnics at the edge of town, snuggled together on the couch, and shared more romantic dinners. Black had been sure to give Belle more tokens of his love, and Belle had repaid him in countless kisses. Some nights, they would talk all evening. Belle would speak of her past, as did Black (though he intentionally left out the more unsavory details), and the more they learned of each other, the stronger their love grew. However, as close as they were, they weren't quite as close as Black hoped...

One evening, Belle was preparing for bed. Black walked into her room, smiling.

"Hey there, pretty lady." He smiled.

"Ah, Black." Belle grinned. "Come to give me a goodnight kiss?"

"Actually, I was hoping for a little... more tonight." Black admitted.

"More?" Belle frowned.

"Maybe I could... join you in bed tonight." Black offered. "Only without so much sleeping, if you know what I mean..."

"I... Oh!" Belle gasped, blushing fiercely. "Black, I... I couldn't..."

"Why not?" Black frowned. "Don't you... want to?"

"Well, it would be nice..." Belle admitted.

"Then what's the problem?" Black asked.

"Well, my mother always said that two ponies... laying together before marriage wasn't proper." Belle admitted.

"Proper?" Black snorted. "I think you'll find it sometimes isn't 'proper' even after marriage."

"You know what I mean." Belle declared. "If word got out that I laid with a stallion I wasn't married to..."

"So what?" Black shrugged. "Who cares what other ponies think?"

"I do." Belle retorted. "I'm a teacher. A molder of young minds. Imagine what the parents would think if I went through with this?"

"What, are you planning on telling them?" Black asked. "Because I'm sure not going to spread this around."

"Well, no..." Belle blushed. "But it's... it's not proper."

"Who cares about proper?" Black asked. "What happens here will be just between us. And there won't be anything so terrible about it. It'll be just the two of us, expressing our feelings for each other... physically."

"I don't know..." Belle bowed her head.

"Look, I'm not going to force you." Black sighed. "But think about the two of us, together, as close as two ponies can be. The simple symphony of love. You can't tell me you don't want to experience that."

"I... I do." Belle smiled.

"And then there's the best part." Black smiled. "Holding each other afterwards, just laying in each others' hooves, drifting off to sleep together... Call me a softie, but I've always liked that part."

"Black..." Belle sighed. "I really would like that, but the truth is... I've never actually been with a stallion before now."

"You haven't?" Black gaped. "But you're so sweet, and beautiful..."

"So you keep saying." Belle smiled. "But I've never actually dated a stallion. All of this has been wonderful, but it's all so new. And I'm not sure if I have it in me for such a big step..."

"I understand." Black sighed.

"I'm sorry." Belle bowed her head.

"Don't apologise." Black told her. "It's my fault for not taking your feelings into account. I would never want you to do anything you're not comfortable with. I care for you too much."

"Oh, Black..." Belle smiled weakly.

"Like I said, I won't force you if you don't to." Black turned around. "Guess I'll just head to bed now..."

"Wait." Belle stopped him. "I'll do it."

"You will?" Black smiled. "You don't have to..."

"I know." Belle nodded. "But I want to. I love you, Black."

"...I love you too, Belle." Black declared.

"And I want to experience the full expression of our love for each other." Belle told him. "Right here, right now. And you're right about it being nopony else's business. It's our private moments, and I shouldn't let fear stop me."

"So... shall we?" Black smiled.

"After you." Belle grinned.

The couple climbed into Belle's bed, snuggling together under the sheets. Little did either of them realise just what would become of their liaison...

The present...

The next morning, Shade woke up, once again awakened by the glancing sunlight.

"If I didn't know better, I'd say Princess Sunbutt was doing this on purpose..." He growled. "Maybe I should ask Dusty if I can borrow of her hubby's eyemasks..."

Shade washed up, then emerged from the room.

'And now it's time for more awkward dining room talk with that haughty wife of Shine's.' Shade thought. 'Somepony just kill me now...'

However, to Shade's surprise, Celestia wasn't present at the table, nor was Constell.

"Hey, where is everypony?" Shade asked. "Not that's it's a big downer for Celestia to be absent, but where's that Constell gal?"

"Oh, she was just staying here while her husband, Luxury was out of town on an important business trip." Luna declared.

"As for Celestia, she had her breakfast already." Shine declared. "She has some... important work to take care of today."

"Good." Shade snorted. "Maybe I can finally eat something at this table in peace, without that stuck-up wife of yours giving me the business..."

"You know, just because she isn't here, doesn't mean you can get away with insulting her." Shine frowned. "She's still my wife, you know."

"And my sister." Luna added with a glare. "So watch your tongue."

"Okay, relax." Shade scowled. "I was just saying..."

"Let's just enjoy our breakfast." Dusty suggested. "Today we're having Belgyum waffles with Haygyptian honey."

"Yummy..." Shade said non-commitedly.

They all started eating their breakfast. Shine couldn't say it out loud, but he was appreciative of the lack of conflict. But he knew it was only a brief respite. He was well aware that Shade and Celestia's feud would spark up again the second they once more crossed paths.

'I gotta figure out some way to get those two to, if not like, than at least tolerate each other.' He thought. 'Yeah, right. I'd have better luck trying to make a Manticore and an Orthros be best friends...'

Shade, having finished the pancakes, stood up.

"Okay, I'm out." He said bluntly. "Catch ya later."

"Hold up." Shine stood up also. "Mind if we take a walk?"

"Sure, why not?" Shade shrugged. "It's your castle, ain't it?"

"I'll take that as a 'yes'." Shine shrugged, catching up to Shade.

Out in the corridor, the cousins walked silently for a moment.

"So... how are you feeling today?" Shine asked hopefully. "Starting to warm up to life around here?"

"Honestly, no." Shade shrugged. "Sure, maybe everypony in this town isn't a complete snob, but this place is just too ritzy for me. I'm a simple stallion with simple tastes. I don't really care for all this 'lap of luxury' stuff."

"Neither did I." Shine admitted. "When I first came to stay here, I was a little overwhelmed by all the fancy stuff. Couldn't understand why it was needed."

"Exactly." Shade scowled. "It's way too much. Totally pointless."

"Just because we don't understand it doesn't mean it's bad." Shine retorted. "And besides, we royals put a lot of work into keeping Equestria stable. So we're actually due a few perks every now and then.

"Yeah, right." Shade snorted. "You don't do that much..."

"Now let's not start that again." Shine frowned. "I just told you earlier that Celestia has some important work to do. Stuff like that can take days at a time to pull together. And she doesn't do it for her sake, but for the sake of her subjects. That's what being a royal really means."

"Okay, okay." Shade groaned. "I get it. You don't have to keep going on about it."

"Good to see I'm finally getting through to you." Shine grinned.

They walked in silence for a little while. Then...

"Hey, Shine?" Shade spoke up.

"Yeah?" Shine asked.

"You... knew my dad, right?" Shade inquired.

"Well, I didn't meet him face to face until a while back, and we weren't exactly close... but yeah, I did know him." Shine nodded.

"I've been meaning to ask... what was he like?" Shade asked.

"Oh." Shine froze up. He had been dreading this moment, for he was unsure how to describe Black. As far as Shade knew, Black was just a stallion who left a mare he might have loved at one point who was pregnant with his foal... Shine wasn't sure how he would take learning that his father was a terrorist who razed an entire village, led a one-stallion charge to assassinate his wife, and nearly brought about the end of Equestria with that "Crystal Sun" incident.

If the way Shade had been living his life was any indication, saying the truth could undo everything he had tried to do since bringing him here.

"Well, Black... was a very driven stallion." Shine declared, sticking to half-truths. "He held onto his beliefs tightly. He wanted to make Equestria a better place, and heavens be damned, he wouldn't let anypony stand in his way."

"Whoa..." Shade lit up. "Sounds like a bad-flank."

"...That's one way of putting it." Shine stifled a cringe, as all of the beatdown Black gave him back then came to mind. "He certainly knew his way around fighting, that's one thing for certain."

"Huh..." Shine could see the idolization in his eyes, as Shade suddenly asked. "...Do you possibly know where I can find him?"

"...What?" Shine's eyes widened. He did not expect that question.

"Shine, Black left my mom all those years ago, and neither me or her ever found out why." Shade explained. "You seem to know him well. If you could tell me where I could find him, maybe I can finally confront him and ask him myself..."

Shine felt his heart break.

"I'm afraid that won't be possible." Shine admitted sadly.

"What are you talking about?" Shade frowned.

"...I'm afraid he's... no longer with us." Shine declared, his eyes growing misty. "Black... died a few years back."

To Shine's dismay, Shade took the news more badly than he had imagined. His face fell as shock and despair and dashed hopes pulled every muscle downwards. Shade was heartbroken, that much was plain to see. Shine hated that he had caused his cousin such pain. The guilt tore away at his very soul.

'Sorry, Shade.' He thought sadly. 'But I guess you had a right to know...'

"No... no..." Shade murmured, seemingly on the verge of tears. "How... how can he be dead? What happened?"

"It's... complicated." Shine explained. "Your father died, trying to pursue his goals. He strongly believed what he was doing was right, to a point that it ended up being his undoing. I found his body and had him buried at our adoptive father's homestead back in Dodge Junction. I could show you it sometime..."

"How did he die?" Shade demanded, "What killed him?" He then snarled. "Who killed him?"

"Does it matter?" Shine frowned, aware that Caboose was the "who" in question and Shade would surely go and hunt him down.

"Of course it does." Shade snarled. "If it was a 'who', then I'll find that scumbag and kill him with my bare hooves."

"That wouldn't bring your father back, you know." Shine countered, eager to dissuade him from the path of revenge.

"No, but it would make me feel better." Shade scowled.

"Would it?" Shine asked. "Or would it just leave you with nopony to focus your anger on anymore?"

"Guess we won't know until it happens." Shade growled. "But even if it was some freak accident that took him, it left me without any chance of ever seeing my father face-to-face. Of getting the truth of why he left me and mom, right from the horse's mouth." He then sighed in frustration, "It would had given me and mom closure."

"I know it hurts, not knowing." Shine admitted. "But sometimes, ignorance is better than knowledge. You may not have liked the truth if you heard it."

"Yeah, maybe..." Shade frowned.

"Look on the bright side." Shade smiled. "You still have your mother. And you still have me. We're family, and I swear I'll always be there for you, cousin."

"...Thanks, Shine." Shade smiled. "That actually means a lot to me. Aside from mom, I've never really had much in the way of family. Sure, my gang have always been good to me, but it just wasn't the same."

"Well, all that's changed now." Shine declared. "Family sticks together, and always has each others' back."

"Yeah..." Shade frowned, recalling his plan. "Sure..." He turned towards the garden. "Mind if I take a quick solo walk? I got a lot to think about."

"Sure." Shine nodded. "But you know where to find me."

"Sure do." Shade nodded.

Shade wandered out into the gardens.

'So, he's dead...' He thought. 'My father's really dead. Mom's not going to like that... But at least I've got some idea of the kind of stallion he was. For all the good that does me...'

As he continued his walk, Shade came upon Dull Blade, who was practicing with his spear, but not very well.

"Oh, it's you again." Shade frowned.

"Oh... hi." Dull smiled, lowering his spear. "I was... in the middle of training."

"Is that what you call it?" Shade snorted. "Because your technique is all sloppy. You've got to grip the shaft more tightly. Be a little more precise with your swings. Let me show you..."

Shade grabbed the spear, and performed some flawless swings, spins and jabs.

"Just like that." He declared, handing the spear back to Dull.

"Okay..." Dull tried to repeat the moves, but wound up dropping the spear. "Whoops..."

"No offense, but why are you even still here?" Shade asked. "You're not exactly the most skilled Guard I've ever seen."

"I know." Dull sighed. "But I want to be. I want to be able to make a difference. To help ponies. That's all I've ever wanted."

"...Really?" Shade frowned.

"Yeah. I come from a big family of Royal Guardponies." Dull explained. "And the ones who weren't in the Royal Guard did their part to support them by donating to their annual fund, forging armor, and all that. They all did so much for the Guard... and look at me." He sighed. "The only thing I do for the Guard is embarass it..."

"Hey, don't talk like that." Shade glared. "Just because buckholes like that Call Duty said you're no good doesn't mean anything. I haven't known you that known, but I can tell you're a really decent guy. If you ask me, the Guard could use ponies with your kind of personality."

"But Call is right." Dull frowned. "I mean, you saw how he beat me in training. How can some sad stallion like me be as good as my family before me?"

"Now you listen, Dull." Shade said firmly, gripping his shoulder. "I'm not gonna sugarcoat it, you're pretty terrible at fighting. But you have something else."

"Excellent boot polishing technique?" Dull suggested.

"Determination." Shade clarified. "You may not be good. You could be the worst Guard out there. But if you stay determined, that's all you really need. Just hang onto that 'determination' and one day, when it comes down to it, you will be a hero, just like the others. You read me?"

"Yeah, I... read you." Dull nodded, smiling. "Thanks, Black. You know, you're a pretty decent guy yourself."

"Glad somepony noticed." Black joked.

"Not everypony would help out a guy like me." Dull admitted. "But I'm glad that pony was you."

"It's up to you now." Shade urged. "You just keep pushing forward, and don't let anypony bring you down."

"I can promise you that." Dull nodded. "And when a Blade makes a promise, he keeps it."

"Integrity." Shade grinned, impressed. "One more thing you've got goin' for ya."

"Well, I should get back to the others." Dull shrugged. "The trials are still going on, and even though I definitely won't be getting the big position, I have to at least finish."

"Yeah, good luck with that." Shade nodded.

"Thanks." Dull smiled.

Dull rushed back to the barracks, leaving Shade to dwell on things, although a bit cheered up by Dull's smile. He returned to the castle in time for lunch.

"How was the walk?" Shine asked.

"It was... interesting." Shade admitted. "Gave me something to think about."

"Glad to hear it." Shine smiled, confused, yet glad that Shade was feeling better.

After lunch, the Guards continued their efforts. They were mostly performing stealth and infiltration maneuvers, though Caboose, Fletcher and Call did so with greater numbers of "sentries" (played by volunteer Guards).

Fletcher slipped artfully through the shadows, ducking and weaving until he reached the goal.

"Well done, Captain." Elite smiled. "Lieutenant, you're next."

"Watch me move." Caboose chuckled.

As he'd promised Fletcher, Caboose tried to rein in his performance, but he tripped on one of the obstacles, and rolled over to the goal, achieving the same time as Fletcher.

"A little... unorthodox." Elite admitted. "But effective. Call?"

"Watch and learn." Call smirked.

Call put on an impressive show, but his age once again slowed him down, costing him valuable seconds.

"Not too bad. Not the best, but it was excellent for a stallion of your age." Elite noted. "I'll factor that in to your score."

"Thank you, sir." Call restrained his annoyance.

"Next, we move on to some hostage rescue scenarios." Elite revealed. "Please line up..."

As Call waited for his turn, he spotted Midnight Blossom, one of the Night Guard, walking through the area.

"Well, what's this?" He mused. "A little early for you, don't you think, batty?"

"I don't see how that's any of your business... sir." Midnight frowned. "We Thestrals may prefer the night, but that doesn't mean we can't stand the day."

"So I see." Call noted. "I had thought that was the reason none of you had taken part in the trials. Do Thestrals have an aversion to serving their country?"

"Well, I can't speak for the others, but for me, the prospect of a promotion doesn't mean much." Midnight shrugged. "I'm happy just where I am. Not going to some hot and sandy place to fight a bunch of desert rats."

"Please. What's the real reason, leatherwings?" Call sneered. "Don't have the initiative? Or are you just aware how totally outclassed you are by me?"

"As if." Midnight scoffed. "I may not be the most motivated Guard, but I think I could still fly circles around you, old timer."

"Oh, I doubt that." Call rolled his eyes, "Unlike us hard-working guardsponies, all you do is go down to some random cave to be a bodyguard to some 'hermit' shacking it up in there. By the way, who the buck is this 'hobo' that the royals are willing to let him stay there?"

"Oh, just some poor fellow, in need of a place to stay." Midnight lied.

"If you ask me, Celestia shouldn't be wasting Guards on whoever's in there." Call sneered. "Then again, perhaps it's a good thing, if it keeps visionless Guards like you out of the way."

"Not this again..." Midnight rolled her eyes.

"What, does the truth hurt?" Call smirked. "Well, you can enjoy your times in those cold dark caves while I'm going up in the world. Maybe then you'll see what a waste of a Guard you really ar-"

Call suddenly felt a pain in his chest.

"Gah..." Call groaned, clutching his chest.

"What's wrong?" Midnight frowned.

"I dunno... I suddenly feel this ache in my chest." Call panted. "I must had been running too hard back there..."

Suddenly, walking by, was a black and brown furred Griffon with rather soul-piercing purple eyes. He stood a bit taller than Call, and for some reason, on top of the pain in his chest, he felt a chill up his spine, even more so as the Griffon was glaring fiercely at him.

"Is everything alright, darling?" The Griffon asked Midnight. "Is this 'old' stallion giving you any problems?"

"Nothing I can't deal with, big O." Midnight patted his shoulder. "But thanks for caring."

"My pleasure." The Griffon nuzzled her.

"I would just ignore him. He's not worth it anyway." Midnight declared.

"I suppose you're right." The Griffon nodded, as he gave a 'nod'.

Suddenly, the pain in Call's chest disappeared.

"Hoo..." Call rubbed his chest tenderly. "It passed..." He glanced at the Griffon, uncertain and fearful. "H-hello."

"I trust you weren't giving Midnight any trouble?" The Griffon snarled.

"O-of course not." Call cringed. "Just some friendly ribbing between fellow Guards, that's all."

"It didn't look so friendly to me." The Griffon shot Call a look that seemed to go right through him."

"Come on, big O." Midnight urged. "I told you, he's not worth it."

"I'd be a fool not to trust your judgment, my dear..." The Griffon smiled tenderly. "Now, how about we use your dinner break to stop by that diner you like, and share a milkshake?"

"Ooh, you old romantic..." Midnight grinned.

"It's easy to be romantic with a mare like you." The Griffon beamed, as he and Midnight walked down the path.

"Lucky for me, huh?" Midnight giggled.

As Call glared after them, Caboose suddenly joined him.

"Yeah, you should probably not try to make fun of Midnight in the future." Caboose advised. "I heard her 'boyfriend' is quite the... undertaker. And I'm not talking about the wrestler..."

"No kidding." Call frowned, for once agreeing with him. "I mean, why is it that every time that bloody Griffon comes onto the training grounds, the room gets colder?"

"Maybe he's just really cool." Caboose shrugged.

"That's what I get for expecting a straight answer from you..." Call snorted, as he walked away.

"Buck you, doodie." Caboose scoffed. "That was comedy gold."

Dismissing Call's attitude, Caboose returned to the trials.

At the end of the day, Elite gathered the Guards.

"The trials are almost over." He announced. "And I have almost made my decision. But no matter who I choose, know that you are all marvelous Guards, and it has been my honor to work with you. Until tomorrow, my friends."

"Yes, tomorrow." Call growled, as the Guards dispersed for their homes. "The moment of truth."

"You mean Fletcher's moment of truth." Caboose grinned. "We all know he's gonna win it."

"I can only hope, Lieutenant." Fletcher smiled.

"Hope is all you can do." Call snarled. "I'm gonna win this."

"Based on what?" Caboose snorted. "You've been behind me and Fletcher this whole time. It'll take a miracle for you to pull ahead now."

"The Lieutenant makes a good point." Fletcher nodded. "You may not have what it takes for the position after all, Duty."

"We'll see." Call scowled as he walked away. "We'll see..."

"We all will." Fletcher nodded. "Tomorrow."

"You're gonna do great, pal." Caboose assured him. "I know it. And even if things don't quite go that way, we still have the contingency plan. I won't let you pass up this chance."

"Thank you, Caboose." Fletcher smiled. "You're a true friend."

"I know." Caboose beamed. "Say 'hi' to Dove for me."

"Oh, I will." Fletcher nodded, as he and Caboose went their separate ways.

Fletcher returned to the home he shared with Dove.

"Welcome home, darling." Dove smiled, greeting him with a kiss. "How were the trials?"

"I think they went quite well." Fletcher smiled.

"Looks like you'll be getting that fancy new position, alright." Dove chuckled.

"But it's not quite a sure thing yet." Fletcher sighed. "Caboose, Faust bless him, is trying his best not to upstage me, but I might not be able to outpace him in the end."

"I'm sure you'll win." Dove smiled. "And let's face it. That extra money will come in useful when our little project finally comes to fruition."

"Speaking of which... any luck today?" Fletcher asked.

"Sorry, honey." Dove sighed. "Still negative."

"Oh, that's too bad." Fletcher sighed.

"We just have to keep trying." Dove smiled sadly, "I know if we try hard enough, you be able to put a bun in this oven." She rubbed her stomach.

"Here's hoping, right?" Fletcher shrugged.

"Oh yes." Dove sighed. "There's nothing I'd love more than for the two of us to be parents, to raise a foal together. I bet you'll be a great dad..."

"Yeah..." Fletcher agreed, though he trailed off for a bit, before adding "And I know you'll be a wonderful mother."

"Aw, Fletchy..." Dove cooed.

The two kissed deeply.

"We'll get there." Fletcher declared. "I know we will."

"And in the meantime, we can have a lot of fun trying." Dove purred.

"We sure will." Fletcher chuckled.

"Just until after dinner." Dove grinned. "We can have some serious fun."

"Not too much, though." Fletcher replied. "Remember, I need to keep my strength up for the trials."

"More's the pity." Dove smirked. "But we can still have an early night..."

"With pleasure." Fletcher nodded.

Though he put on a confident facade, Fletcher carried a lot of uncertainty, both to his potential job, and to the possibility of being a father.

'I just hope I have what it takes.' He thought. 'For both positions...'

Meanwhile, in another part of town, a fuming Call Duty was storming down the backstreets.

"Unbelievable." Call snarled, as he kicked a can far down the streets. "How could I be losing to some damn pretty boy, and a dimwitted ex-con? I'm the one who deserves that position! Me! I'm the best damn soldier in Canterlot! I have been serving the Royal Guard for over twenty years! And I swear to Faust, I will be damned f I let Elite choose one of them over me..." He let out a deep breath. "I just need some kind of chance to show him how good I really am..."

"You don't say?"

"What?" Call turned around.

From out of the shadows of a dark alley, Solomon emerged.

"Who are you?" Call snarled.

"Call me... a friend." Solomon remarked.

"Were you eavesdropping... friend?" Call scowled. "I could have you thrown into a cell for spying on a senior member of the Royal Guard, you know."

"I know who you are, Call Duty." Solomon smiled. "Veteran Royal Guardspony. Nearly a thousand arrests to your name. Survivor of countless skirmishes, including the Changeling siege of Canterlot. Not to mention a well-respected role model."

"Or at least, I should be." Call growled.

"I heard that this 'Elite Everest' has been holding trials to choose a new general for the Royal Defense Legion." Solomon declared. "With your skills, you should be a shoo-in."

"You'd think so, wouldn't you?" Call spat. "But no, I've been getting shown up by a couple of young upstarts. They're been taking all of Everest's attention, leaving me with no room to show how good I am!"

"Is that a fact?" Solomon asked.

"You got that right." Call scowled. "I am ten times the Royal Guard both of those punks are combined! If only that damn Director would just see that...if I can just show him..."

"In that case, I think I might be able to help you." Solomon smiled.

"Help me?" Call sneered. "How?"

"By giving you what you need to do what neither of those young upstarts possibly could: Apprehend the Western Shade's pack of criminals." Solomon declared.

"What?" Call asked.

"I know where they're hiding." Solomon grinned. "And I know the secret word required to enter their hideout. And I will tell you all of it."

"Really?" Call smiled, elated. "If I brought those clowns in, it would make my rep forever. It'd show everypony once and for all who's the best Guard in Canterlot."

"That it would." Solomon nodded.

"Wait, what's the catch?" Call frowned. "You wouldn't drop an opportunity like this in my lap unless you wanted something in return."

"Oh, I want nothing in return." Solomon shook his head. "I'm just a concerned citizen who wants those rogues taken down. Of course, if you don't want to hear it, I could find some other Guards who might. The Captain and the Lieutenant, for instance. If they were the ones who imprisoned that gang, it would make them even better candidates for the position of General..."

"Not a chance." Call snarled. "I won't let those two take what's rightfully mine. What I deserve. Go ahead, tell me everything."

"I'm glad to see good sense prevailed." Solomon grinned.

"Just spill it." Call demanded.

"Very well. The Western Shade's little gang hides in a cavern, located five miles south-west of Prairieville." Solomon revealed. "When you reach the tallest cliff face of a rocky peak, walk right up to it, and say 'open sesame'."

"And that's all there is to it, huh?" Call declared.

"Oh, yes." Solomon nodded. "Now, I have it on good authority that the Western Shade is not among his lackies at the moment, and won't be for the next few days. All the same, I'd advise caution. Bring as many of your fellow Guards as you can, because I promise you, it won't be an easy fight."

"We'll see about that." Call smirked. "Thanks for the intel, pal. Rest assured, I won't forget this..."

"Just doing what I can to make Equestria a safer place." Solomon shrugged. "Good luck."

"Thanks, but I won't be needing it." Call sneered. "See ya... friend."

"I should be the one thanking you... you arrogant fool." Solomon smirked, as Call walked away. "Thanks to your petty desires for greatness, I'll be killing two birds with one stone on this trip..."