• Published 30th Jan 2016
  • 912 Views, 12 Comments

The Count - DumandRando



When Count Monte Cristo moves to Canterlot, old secrets shall be revealed to Twilight and her friends.

  • ...
1
 12
 912

Chapter 1: Infestation

Parasprites were very annoying. They were also destructive. Enough to the point that an entire nest of them could destroy an entire town, if left unchecked. Good thing that there wasn’t one big enough any where near Canterlot.

Even a small horde, however, is enough to destroy almost every room in the castle at Canterlot. Especially the Dancing hall. The one that is used to house the guest of the Grand Galloping Gala.

Indeed, no matter where anypony stepped or looked, there was a parasprite to be found. Even Celestia found it hard to avoid them as she flew around the room looking for the source of the Infestation. She looked high and low for twenty minutes but she could not find a nest or any sign of their entry point. After ten more minutes, the princess finally gave up her search and flew out of the dancing hall so pest control could take over.

“Any luck, sister?” asked Luna, who had been waiting outside of the dancing hall due to her irrational fear of parasprites. Luna was even hesitant on moving closer to her sister, who was standing in the entryway to the dancing hall.

“No. I couldn’t find anything. Hopefully the exterminators will have more luck.” At this moment, one of the pest control members walked over to the princess. “Have you found anything?”

Lowering his head, the exterminator replied rather hesitantly. “We may have found the source of the infestation. However, It will take a while before we can get rid of all the parasprites. Until then, we have to close down this entire section of the castle, to ensure the infestation does not spread.”

“For how long?”

“Thankfully, it is a pretty small nest. But still, it should take about two weeks to get rid of them all.”

Celestia was shocked to hear this. “Two weeks? But the Gala is this saturday!”

“I know princess, but due to this development, I think ponies would understand,” was the exterminators response.

The princess wished to argue, hoping that maybe with enough pleading the exterminators will solve their problems faster. She knew the world didn’t work that way, though, and consented to the logical option of closing down the dancing hall and any other rooms where the infestation could of spread to. This happened to be about a quarter of the entire castle.

Annoyed and tired from the whole ordeal, Celestia hoped that continuing her royal duties would somehow help her relax. She also had to tell Royal Script, her scribe, to write letters to everyone who was Invited to the Gala that it had been cancelled.

Before she could get the chance, Royal Script reminded Celestia that she had an appointment with a new noble in town, and he had been waiting for her to receive him. Considering everything, she really did not want to see any pony. After hearing that he had been waiting for her, though, Celestia decided it would be rude not to meet with him. She promptly went to the throne room to meet her guest.

Entering, Celestia saw the noble waiting patiently. He was a stallion Pegasus with a dark grey coat, a black mane, and emerald green eyes. She could not see his cutie mark, as he was wearing a red suit that covered his flank.

Celestia had to admit, this stallion gave most of the nobles in Canterlot a run for their money when it came to looks.

“Greetings, Your majesty,” The noble said as he bowed his head. “I am Count Monte Cristo. It is a pleasure to finally meet with you.”

Though the princess was no stranger to manners, this Count Monte Cristo spoke with such respect, she felt she should be the one bowing instead of him.

“The pleasure is mine, Count Cristo.” Celestia walked to her throne and sat down. “How can I help you?”

At this the Count arched his eyebrow in confusion. “I’m sorry, did you not receive my card? I thought I sent one ahead of time.”

Celestia was just as confused as The Count. At this, Royal Script came over and gave Celestia a small card that had an embroidered MC upon it. “You looked at this yesterday, princess. The reason Count Monte Cristo is here is to simply introduce himself. You made sure I left this time open so you can have tea with him.”

The princess could only rub her head, as she suddenly remembered the Griffon that brought the card about five days ago, announcing the arrival of his master. “I’m sorry I forgot, Count Cristo. I had an emergency to take care of and it slipped my mind. Royal Script, go and ask the kitchen to prepare some cake and put a kettle on for some tea. This will only take a second Count Cristo.”

The Count lifted his hoof in protest. “Please, Princess, do not trouble yourself. If this emergency is important, we can reschedule for another day.”

“No, it's alright. I have some ponies already taking care of the problem. I just wished it could be solved faster.”

“If you do not mind me asking, your highness, what exactly is the matter?” The Count gasped as a thought enter his head. “Is there trouble brewing in Equestria again?”

“Only the trouble of canceling the Grand Galloping Gala,” Celestia said, remembering her tiresome failure earlier today. She could only sigh at both the memory and the task that lie ahead

“What?” The Count asked, obviously shocked by the news. “Why must the Gala be cancelled?”

Celestia decided to tell The Count everything. From waking up to the sound of a terrified Luna, who should've been asleep at that time of the day, to looking all over the Dance Hall, trying to find the reason for the recent gathering of parasprites in the castle.

By the time she was finished, Royal Script had returned with a kettle and two small cakes, one slightly bigger than the other. The bigger one was for Celestia, as she instantly took it as soon as the cart was close to her. She remarked it being her favorite flavor, chocolate.

The Count was not bothered by this. He took the smaller piece and nibbled it very slowly. He seemed to prefer the discussion over the tea or cake.

“This must be stressful for you, considering the Gala was supposed to be six days from now. Is there anyway I can help?”

Celestia chuckled. “Unless you have a building big enough to house all the royalty and nobility in Canterlot, and can be easily decorated on a small budget. But, i’m pretty sure such a place does not exist.”

At this, The Count raised his hoof to his chin in thought. “Well, it's not a building, but my estate might be big enough.”

The princess raised her head in question. “Your… estate? How big is it?”

“The house is only a small mansion and it is not yet presentable to anypony, but the front and back lawn could be used instead. I believe it to be about twice the size of that one farm from the town of Ponyville. What’s it called again, Sweet Apple Acres?”

“Twice?!” The princess asked with shock in her voice. “Just where is your estate located?”

“Outside of Canterlot. Do you know of the former estate of the Iron family?”

“Of course, almost everypony knows about it. It hasn’t been touched since Cold Iron died.”

“Well, that is my Estate. I purchased it about two days ago.”

Celestia could not believe her ears. The Count had bought a large plot of land valued at a little more than six hundred thousand bits, and was talking about it as if it was a small purchase. The princess questioned exactly how rich The Count was.

“And you’ll lend this to us? to use for the Gala?” Celestia asked.

“Of course,” The count said, taking a sip of his tea soon after. “I love to help ponies in need. And it seems like you could use some relief, especially after the day you had.”

This news instantly had an effect on Celestia. She sighed again, but this time with hope. “Thank you, Count Cristo. You have no idea how much this helps me.” The princess called Royal Script over to her and told him to write out a loan for fifty thousand bits.

“What is that for?” The Count asked.

“To help pay for the decorations and your services,” Celestia responded.

The count lifted his hoof, again in protest. “Please, do not worry about it. I will take care of everything.”

Shock was now on both Celestia's’ and Royal Scripts’ face. “Are you sure?” Celestia asked.

“Certainly. As you said, you need a small budget. I have certain connections that can help in this situation. All I will need from you is a party organizer, an excellent cook, and some form of entertainment.”

Thinking for a good few minutes, Celestia smiled with happiness. “I know just the ponies who can help.”

Author's Note:

This is my first story. I do ask for and expect criticism. I'd prefer constructive criticism, but please do not hold back. And please, no hate in the comment section.