• Published 26th Jan 2016
  • 1,142 Views, 14 Comments

The Eyes of the Beholder - BrinnyTheBrave



Barbara has a crush on Elusive, and it's a secret to nobrony. But will she confess her secret and can the mane 6's friendships survive through this newfound relationship?

  • ...
6
 14
 1,142

Chapter 8

It was fairly busy at Sugarcube Corner on this fine day. Bubble Berry bustled back and forth between cupcakes and customers. Unlike everybrony else, he had no time to think about who he was going to take with him to the dance. His mind was on a certain mare, but he hadn't seen her since the last time she visited Ponyville. Berry wasn't as concerned. If he had a date, it would be amazing, but he was fine all the same if he didn't have one for the dance. Sometimes he thought love was silly, anyways. It made his Bubble senses tingle and then he got all worked up only to get his heart broken in the end. He didn't need romance to be a happy pony, he had amazing friends, and making his friends happy was good enough. As he was lost in thought, familiar faces walking through the door pulled him back to his senses.

"Dusk! Barbara!" He squeaked, bouncing over to them. "What can I do for you today?"

"Hey Berry! We'll take a hay smoothie and a sapphire gem cupcake for here please." The alicorn stallion said.

"Sure thing!" The bouncy pink pony hopped to the back to prepare their orders. Dusk and Barbara found a table near the window.

"The place sure is busy today," Dusk mused.

"That'll be great for their business!" Barbara noted. "So." She grinned.

"So, what?"

"You still haven't told me."

"Told you what?"

"Who're YOU taking?"

"Ah, you know I'm too busy doing royal paperwork and spell research assignments to think about love, Barbs." He chuckled.

"Maybe. But I know everyone has a crush, and I know who YOU have a crush on…" she grinned.

"Y-you do?" Dusk laughed nervously. 'That's impossible. How could she know?' his thoughts echoed.

"It's kind of obvious you've got it bad for that new mare in the royal guards." She teased. A heavy blush coated Dusk's face.

"W-what?! No I don't! Barbara, don't be ridiculous."

"Hmm. What was her name again? Flaring War or whatever?" The dragoness fished. She wanted him to say it for himself.

"Flare Warden! And I don't 'got it bad' for her, as you so bluntly put it." Dusk grunted, embarrassed now, only further evidence that Barbara was right.

"Awe, c'mon Dusk. Why don't you go and ask her? The worst that can happen is that she says no!" Barbara encouraged.

"Barbs. I can't just--" Dusk got cut off by Berry bouncing up to them.

"One hay smoothie and a sapphire gem cupcake!" The pink stallion placed the tray on their table. Dusk was about to take out five bits, when Berry stopped him.

"Don't worry Dusk, this one's on me." Berry said.

"Oh, you don't have to, Berry." Dusk said, wanting to pay.

"Ah c'mon, you guys come here all the time! I think you've earned a free one!" Berry beamed.

"Wow. Thanks."

"Don't sweat it!" The party brony replied. Just then a tan mare with a curly brown mane and tail walking through the door caught Berry's attention. His jaw dropped. He never thought he would see her again!

"Uh… Berry?" Dusk asked, noticing his friend started acting off.

"Huh? Oh, sorry Dusk… I uh…"

Dusk followed his gaze towards the attractive mare that just walked in.

"Heh. Well, there's a familiar face!" Dusk commented.

"Uh, uh-huh… " Suddenly Berry could have sworn he turned into Butterscotch for a second. Is this how the poor pegasus felt everyday?

"Aaaaawe! You should so go and ask her out, Berry!" Barbara squealed.

"What? Oh no, I couldn't do that!"

"Sure ya could!" Dusk encouraged. "If anypony could, it would be you!"

"Dusk!! Don't you remember who she is? She's Equestria's best party planner! Not even MY parties can top her! I could never talk to her, not after what happened with Rainbow Blitz's birthday last year!"

"Of course you can talk to her! Look, you don't have to ask her out. You just have to say hi." Dusk encouraged. How could the most outgoing stallion in all of Ponyville be AFRAID to talk to a mare?

"I-I don't think s--" Berry started, but Dusk wasn't going to take no for an answer. Berry had helped him so many times, he owed it to him to help him this time. Berry glowed with Dusk's lavender magic, and he threw his stubborn friend across the floor, Berry skidding right up until he was face to face with the earth pony mare. She looked him in the eyes, and the realization hit.

"Ohmigosh! Bubble Berry!!!!" She pulled him in for a tight hug. "I have been looking everywhere for you since I came back to Ponyville!!!!" She squeaked.

"Y-you have?" Berry asked. "Wait, when and why did you come back to Ponyville?" Berry asked.

"A couple weeks ago. Turns out Ponyville is where the party business is more likely to be, and ever since I got here I just couldn't stop thinking about you! You're my hero after all!" Berry blushed. He knew Panini looked up to him, but her HERO?

"H-hey, Panini. I was just thinking. Since you're in Ponyville now, did you wanna, um, well…" 'come on Berry, you can DO this!' he thought. "Did you wanna go to the Hearth's Warming Prance with me?" At first, there was a chilling silence. But then Panini's eyes lit up.

"Are you kidding? YES!!!" She squeaked. Berry couldn't believe it! He turned around and mouthed a 'thank you' to Dusk, who smiled back at him, only to be turned around again by the party mare. Her tan-yellow muzzle met his for a kiss, and his mane and tail poofed up like they usually did whenever he was super-duper excited. The room that had been watching the commotion cheered loudly.

Author's Note:

Because "Berrini" :pinkiehappy::heart: