• ...
1
 26
 1,369

Chapter 1 - Falling without Grace

The Tardis was burning. Fire was everywhere and the Doctor was dancing around the controls like a mad-man, well more like a mad-time-traveling-alien-with-two-hearts-and-whom-had-saved-the-universe-multiple-times-instead-of-man, but he was definitely mad. He grabbed a hammer from a nearby rack and smashed it against the side of the console, "Work will you please?!" he half urged and half shouted as he checked over his shoulder. The remains of a Dalek was sat to one side, its armour smoking and its electronics sparking. It was out for now but the Doctor knew it would be repaired before long.

The Doctor exchanged his hammer for a polymoprhic telthus four... in other words a spanner and nipped below decks. Undoing some bolts he threw the spanner to one side and pulled out his sonic screwdriver, he changed the setting of his trusty tool and thrust it down into the depths of the ship activating it near a series of light bulbs attached to a piece of dull piece of steel covered in wires and pipes. The screwdriver whirred and activated some hidden piston and the bulbs started to flash. To the untrained eye it would look like a piece of junk, but to the Doctor it was a thingamebob or a wotzit, whatever it was he needed it now to save himself and the Tardis.

The Doctor wrenched the working device from its resting place and climbed back up to the console. He connected the two together with a random assortment of multicolored wires, which would again appear to an outsider to be at random, but to the Doctor was exactly what was needed. He hoped.

Behind him the Dalek's weapons started to move and it emitted a low hiss as its systems rebooted. At a frenzy he danced around the console hitting switches and pulling levels like lightning, throwing in the occasional smack with a hammer for good measure.

Just as the Darlek's eye lit up and it started to move towards the Doctor, he hit a final switch. Before it could finish the word exterminate it was evicted from the Tardis in a large flash of light. Sighing, the mad man took a moments rest before realizing something was still wrong, the Tardis was still on fire and had begun shaking.

"No! No no no no no." he shouted turning a screen to look. The Tardis was falling towards the Medusa Cascade, this was not good, not good at all. Rapidly he returned to flicking various dials, switches, leavers and whatever he could before jumping back and giving the console a good kick.

He looked around in grim horror, the controls weren't working, the Tardis was in free fall and he was doomed. As the Tardis shook harder and harder, he closed his eyes and awaited his fate. Eventually there was a large crash and the Doctor was thrown around like a rag doll.

Once the ship was still the Doctor stood up and checked the screen again, it was blank. Looking around he realized everything was blank. Apart from a few safety lights, the Tardis was dead. Poor girl would need a long time to repair after this. Looking down and noticing he still existed, he made sure the Tardis was completely still and approached the doors. Fires still raged around him but that didn't matter right now. What mattered was that he existed. He was sure he had flown into the Cascade, and by all sense of laws of physics, existing is something he shouldn't be doing.

Opening the doors he was hit by a wall of grey, smoke being emitted from a large crater in the ground. So there was ground then, good. He took a couple of steps before falling over, he tried to stand back up but to his alarm realized his legs weren't obeying him. Next there was a pain in his chest, putting a hand there he came back with blood. Not good, really not good.

Looking down he saw the wrench embedded in his chest, right next to his two hearts. The last thing he remembered seeing was a dash of rainbow, before passing out and his body erupted into light.