• Published 10th Feb 2016
  • 1,772 Views, 13 Comments

The Rejected's Recognition - Golden Flare



Soon after waking up, Spike finds himself within the basement floors of Castle Oblivion and each floor makes him relive his memories, he has the chance to do things right, but little does he know that he's a pawn for a much bigger scheme...

  • ...
3
 13
 1,772

Prologue

After finishing up a long day of paperwork, Spike sluggishly shuffles his feet to his room for some well deserved sleep as Princess Cadence follows.

"I'm so sorry that you had to help with my paperwork, Spike," she apologizes, "a princess's work is never done, you know?"

Spike yawns, "It's fine, it's all part of the job. I gotta stay on the ball if I'm gonna be Twilight's #1 assistant."

Cadence hesitates, but then asks, "Don't you think of yourself as more than just an assistant, Spike?"

"Sometimes. Twilight IS my first friend and my family."

"You didn't answer my question. Do YOU, nopony else, think of yourself as more than an assistant?"

Spike visibly flinches, "I guess...I don't know." Cadence adopted a look of surprise, "Sometimes...I really mess up, and nearly cost myself the friendships that I've made...there are times that I wish I could start over, and fix what I've done..."

Cadence then looks at the little dragon with sympathy, "Spike, I understand how you feel; I've made my share of mistakes, too. But, even with magic, you can't undo what you've done. You can only learn from your mistakes, that's what life is."

Spike sighed, "Yeah, I guess." he stopped in front of a door, "Well, this is my room, I'll see you and Shining Armor in the morning."

"Good night, Spike, and try to sleep off your worries, okay?"

"Okay. Good night."

Spike enters the room as Cadence turns and walks away. He shuffles over to his bed and hops onto it, passing out almost immediately. The last thing on his mind before sleep claim him is all the mistakes he's made in the past...


Spike began to wake up, only to find himself on a white floor instead of his bed with a light blue card in his claw. Naturally, he begins to panic.

"What the!? Where am I!?"

Don't be afraid.

"Huh!? Who's there!?"

You are within the basement floors of Castle Oblivion.

"Castle...Oblivion?"

Here, you will meet those you have already met, deep within your memories.

"My memories...?"

The card in your claw will open the door before you; a door to the one of the many days of your past.

"My...past?"

Step forth, and open the door with that card...or return to sleep, and be returned to the comfort of your bed in the Crystal Castle.

Spike started to weigh his options; either relive his past and see everyone within his memories, or go back to sleep and find himself back in his bed.

Remember, if you choose to step forth, there is no returning to the comfort of sleep. Will you still go?

He began to think that this could be the opportunity of a lifetime, he could relive his memories and correct the mistakes he made. Even if he wouldn't be able to return home, this was an opportunity he couldn't pass up. With his path set, he said one sentence to put it in motion:

"This seemed like a boring place to take a nap anyway."

That was very well said...Spike the Dragon.

The voice fell silent.

Spike then took a good look at the card he possessed, "A door to my past, huh?"

Author's Note:

I apologize if this seemed a little rushed