• Published 18th Jan 2016
  • 720 Views, 50 Comments

The Manehatten Project - Ddraigtanto



After the accidental death of much loved Manehatten Mayor Paver Goldstreets, Otto Cratic stands in as her successor, but his intentions quickly become suspect, due to a long standing disenchantment with the Canterlot Princesses...

  • ...
4
 50
 720

Chapter Seven: Make it Work.

Otto spent another night with Starlight after the meeting with his underlings. Starlight was currently homeless, so Otto had settled on letting her live in his old home, at least until she was ready to move in with him proper. He'd settled on staying with her for that night, the pair making the bold move of sharing the house's only bed: Nothing came of them sleeping together, but it was as much a trust exercise as anything else. She certainly seemed grateful for the fact he made breakfast the morning after. He did like her: He admired her strength and her cunning, but despite his best efforts, he couldn't deny that she was indeed a pretty pony. He couldn't know for certain, but her mannerisms at least seemed softer around him, like she wasn't giving him the full barrels of her commanding personality.

His minions had been working through the night to hunt down the unicorn named Trixie, so he could speak with her. Until then, all he could do was wait: He wanted to spend that time trying to build a bond with his new companion.

"So. Tell me about yourself." He asked the unicorn mare over breakfast. "I want to know as much about you as I can."

"Do you really?" She responded. "Well, fair enough... You remember when Janine was talking about still not having her cutie mark despite being 16?" He nodded. "I didn't get mine until I was 25."

Otto nearly spat out his tea at that, choking slightly. "What? That late?!"

"I know, I know. And people never stopped rubbing my face in it." she snorted, unable however to hide her hurt. "So I got a job as a prison guard, as I was always pretty good with magic, and I'm quite strong for a unicorn... I think I get it from my father."

"Your father?"

"Sollus Glimmer. An earth pony. Good with his hooves. Good at pushing ponies around. Good at breaking the law and robbing ponies. He was a bastard, and my mother hated him." She looked away for a moment, but only to take another sip of tea. "Don't try getting soppy with me about it. I had a much better relationship with my step-father. And I'm at peace with it all..." She sighed. "He helped my get my cutie mark, after all."

"Oh?"

"Yes, yes he did. You see, when I first got my magic, the power to take away cutie marks... His was the first."

Otto frowned. "You equalized your own father?"

"I'm not proud of that fact." she defended. "But he deserved it. It's not like I have a brother and a rich family of Manehattenite oligarchs."

"Oh, please." Otto frowned. "My father was Pluto Cratic, he was Manehatten's longest serving mayor, and the chairpony of Filliburton. All he did as mayor was fiddle the tax system for our family and his rich friends, and wanted Princess Celestia to invade Yakyakistan." He snorted. "He was about as good a father as you'd expect a psychopathic, corrupt pig of a pony to be. I hated him, even when I was his favourite, I still hated him. My methods are questionable, yes. But I do what I do for the good of the people of Manehatten. He only served himself."

"Hm. So, we both had the misfortune to be brought up with bad fathers?"

"Pretty much. My mother was Polly Tickle, but she died when I was young. Theo still remembers her though, that's probably why..." He sighed. "Why he's so sceptical of my methods. Apparently she was a good pony, I always wished I had more memories of her. Theo always told me she looked tired, like the reality of living with suck an unlovable pony as Pluto was slowly crushing her." he faltered, sighing, and taking a long drink of tea. "...Chalk it up as another reason I hate my father."

"I'm sorry. I'm not always the most sympathetic of ponies, but I understand how that feels."

"Forget it." He replied. "We ought to open up if we're going to make this thing work. So, that involves us sharing the good and the bad."

She turned to look at him. "And you trust me with all that? You know me, and everything I do, and yet you still trust me?"

"It's a risk, I know. But, if I trust you, maybe you'll trust me."

She looked down. "You really are trying to make this happen, aren't you?"

"I don't just want to get into a relationship for politics." He took some time to come to this answer. "...I, I want more than that." He winced. "Right, you know what? I think I need a proper drink, tea isn't going to cut it." He stood up. "This place has the mixed fortunes to be situated right next to a pub. Fancy joining me?"

A look of mild relief crept across Starlight's face. "I'd love to."

The pub in question, Marengo's Folly, was right next door to Otto's row house, and was quite a nice place, a little quiet now, but really, that wasn't exactly a bad thing. It was built with creamy standstone blocks and darker corners, which stood in contrast with the grey bricks of Otto's home. It was a cosy place, its walls lined with various shields and pictures, in memory of a long deceased war veteran of a conflict of the distant past.

Otto was a known regular to this place, so the staff had no qualms about allow him and his companion to the upstairs seats behind the bar: It was something of a VIP area reserved for people the staff liked. It gave the two unicorns a bit of quiet and privacy, as it was starting to reach the point where the main seating areas were getting a little noisier.

"By the way." Otto spoke, relaxing enough to start trying to be witty. "I'm counting this as date number two."

"Well aren't you ambitious?" Starlight remarked as she joined him.

"I have the resources to be ambitious, and something quite important to be ambitious for." he quipped. They were then joined by one of the bar staff, who had brought a small tray of drink to their table.

"I'll put it on your tab, sir." He spoke, and Otto bowed, causing the pony to leave them be. The unicorn smiled, taking a bottle of cider from the tray and crack it open with his horn's magic, he poured himself a cup, and offered Starlight the same.

"Is this really a good idea?" Starlight gave him a not unwilling look as she took the cup he offered, her tone betraying only a slight hind of nerves, but she was too strong a pony to let that stop her.

"Oh, contraire." he smirked. "I think it's a very good idea. Unless you'd like to do something else?"

She took a sip of drink. "Such as?"

"It's Manehatten. We've got everything here! And not to mention that we've got some of the best theatre in Equestria, right here."

"You know, having lived in a town with very little variety for as long as I did, suddenly being presented with all the choice in the world isn't exactly easy to process." Starlight said, a ponderous look to her face. "Anything you'd recommend?"

"Well, Lynx is always a popular musical, as is The Musical Hills and The Song of Angry Mares. That last one is about a revolution, you might like it."

She tapped her chin with her hoof before another downing of cider. "Well, I have always had a bit of a fondness for war and politics films."

"Oh?" Otto smirked. "Well, why don't we just go see one then? We've still got plenty of time."

"don't you have work to do? You ARE the mayor?"

"I told you, I've got time. I'll catch up on the workload later, but between that, and our plans, we're at risk of not having enough time to actually get to know one another better... That is if you want to?"

She went quiet, taking her drink with her magic and finishing it, setting the bottle down, and sighing. "Is that you offering? Because I'm not exactly rolling in bits right now. It's almost like you're trying to show off."

"Show off?" Otto chuckled. "Really. Show off? No. Impress you? ...Hm. Maybe. But in any case, I would be paying."

"Hmpf..." She went a little quiet. "Well, sure. Thank you."

"Not a problem." He replied as he got up. "Shall we go?"

So, in essence, they ditched that joint, and Otto took them in search of a local cinema. In all honesty, it matter not where they went, or even what they saw: The importance lay in the two spending time with one another, and in truth: There can be as much fun in slamming an awful movie, as there can be in enjoying a good one.

"Well, that was a waste of time." Starlight snorted as they left the theatre. "You'd think a film with a name like The Treasurer would be a serious film. But what do we get? A comedy about a half-wit idiot wasting Equestria's money."

"Indeed." Otto snorted. "What a stupid, unlikable protagonist." They trotted out, shoving an empty tub of popcorn into a bin, watching as equally unimpressed ponies also shuffled out of the screen room. "There WAS some nice shots of the Canterlot skyline though."

Starlight scoffed. "Is that you trying to defend the film?" she asked.

"Well, that, or justify its existence in the first place. Robb Trottingson has NO place in a political film. Come on, Otto."

He struggled to keep a straight face: He failed. "Okay, fine. That was a hilariously stupid choice of casting."

She nodded. "Hmmm, I suppose the popcorn was nice though."

"Yeah, and honestly, I was quite enjoying the company as well."

"Heh." She scoffed, not quite resisting as Otto brushed up closer to her side. "It's almost as if staying at the pub was the best idea. I know I'd certainly like for us to go get some drinks after that mess."

"hehe... Us now?"

"Oh, don't give me that. I like you. A lot." She watch his grin, and she fought off a blush. "But don't milk it!"

"Fine, I won't milk it. Let's just go drink off that terrible film."

And so, in a strange circularity to their day, they returned to Marengo's Folly, going on the logic that, if they were to drink the night away, it was probably safest to do so in the pub right next to Otto's own home.

The cider, beer and wine flowed quite liberally between the two ponies as the sun descended and the night arose. This night felt different to Otto, and he had far fewer inhibitions when it came to how much he drunk, and what he said as he did it. Indeed, it seemed to be a mutually agreed plan, and it certainly gave... Interesting debate.

"So..." Starlight slurred. "So... So what would yer' rather do? Marry Princess Celestia and become King of Equestria... OR... Or you overthrow the monarchy, make a republic and name yourself president, but you can only rule for eight years, tops."

"Oh, silly filly." Otto teased. "Both options are excellent if you know how to play the system... But, I don't want to marry Princess Celestia. I don't love the princess, and..." He wobbled about on his seat, beaming slightly. "...And, you know what, I don't WANT the princess. Not a bit! So, gimme the presidency. I, I can do a LOT, a WHOLE LOT, in eight years."

Starlight snickered, taking a wine bottle in her magic, which fizzled and shook as she fought to keep her horn alight in her drunken state; she poured yet more of the rich red into Otto's glass. "That, is the right answer." Again, she slumped up against his shoulder, sinking slightly into his white fur: A habit she'd gotten into in their time drinking. "So, now for question two... You, you said you didn't wanna marry the princess, you didn't want her. Hm? Why not?"

"Oooh, you don't know?" He chuckled.

"I have... Theories, but, but but I wanna hear it right from ShieldButt's mouth."

"What? ShieldButt?!" Otto laughed. "Just, jus' this once, I'm gonna let you get away with that..." He gently poked her chest with his hoof, slowly making circular motions in her fur. "...But sure! Let's pretend you dunno..." He blushed. "I want you. You, you are the most wonderful, prettiest little pony I've EVER had the good fortune to meet!" He slumped a little, the two ponies practically hanging off one another. "And, heh, I love you so much right now..."

She seemed to flicker for a moment, as if having a flare of doubt for a second, before she slumped deeper into his side, snuggling up a little. "Hmmm..." She breathed out somewhat. "I love you too."

"Ahaha, yes. Oh, this is good." Otto grinned. "So? How about we go?"

"Go?"

"Yeah, just, go."

"Go where?"

"Where'd you think?"

She looked up a little, no matter how drunk she was, she had a careful look in her eyes: She was letting her guard down, and the booze helped a lot in that regard, however, one could tell she was still out to be careful in taking a plunge. "I think you mean we go back to yours?"

"You'd be thinking right. What'd you say?" He asked.

"Hmmm..." She continued to torture him. "I suppose your bed IS awfully cosy..."

Otto leaned in, nuzzling her mane. "It's about to get even cosier..."

And that was that: Adding their drinks to his tab, Otto and Starlight shuffled out of the pub and back to his home. She was wobbly on her hooves, but then again, so was Otto: He was buzzing with excitement as well as alcohol. As he escorted his date to his bed, he concluded that, all in all, this had been a VERY good night, and for him, it wasn't quite over yet...