• Published 14th Jan 2016
  • 749 Views, 6 Comments

The swordsman in white, and the red mage - Joseph_Tanner



Altamir spent most his life in the arena, but soon with the growing though of knowing anyone he would consider a friend, would end up fighting for their live against him, and with the help of another Human he breakes free and starts a new life.

  • ...
2
 6
 749

Chapter 4: Tests to be taken

The following morning Extos made sure Mortis (get used to it, it’s Altamir’s actual name if you forgot.) gets up in the right time, so she went to retrieve him. “Rise and shine, we have a lot to do…” She exclaimed.

“Just… Just five minutes…” He muttered still half asleep.

*Sigh* “You’ll learn… In time…” She muttered to herself, then elbowed him in the crotch, surely waking him.

*Grunt* “Okay… Okay… Ow… I’m up!” He replied.

“Get dressed, then come with me…” The exclaimed, then left the room leaving him some privacy. Of course, just minutes later he rejoined her.

“I’m good…”

“About time.” She replied and lead the way back to the lobby, where three other robed ones awaited them. “Mortis, they will be your teachers… They will help you master the ways of our order… They each will teach you different things, of course…” She informed him.

“Right, anything else I need to know?” He wondered.

“Yeah… Uhm… You see the thing on their lower arms?” She asked him, pointing at her own.

“What the? What is that?” He asked, as he saw their lower arms fully enveloped by some sort of dark crystal.

“It’s a universal tool, in a way… But you have to earn it, and you can NEVER take it off… Unless you don’t need one of your arms anymore…” She replied.

“Well, what is it good for?” He wondered.

“Well, if you end up losing your weapons, you got a replacement…” She replied, and soon the crystal gauntlet began to grow into a sword, which separated from the source and landed in her hand. “You can also shoot crystal shards, like throwing knives… But I won’t demonstrate that in here…” She continued, then turned at one of them. “Primer, would you be the first to take him?”

“Sure…” He replied, then closed his arm around Mortis’s shoulder. “This way,” They promptly left, leaving the three by themselves.

“Are you sure he’s who you think he is?” Secunder wondered.

“He will be…” She assured him.

“Why haven’t you told him about these being just prototypes?” Tercier threw in.

“Would YOU want one, if you were told that they might kill you one day?” She threw back. Tercier remained silent. “Besides, at least him getting one will show some dedication to the order…” She continued.

“He’s got much to learn, just because you surpassed the expectations against you doesn’t mean he will do the same…” Secunder exclaimed.

“Maybe, but we’re already 19, we both did things like this for 8 years straight, most the time only relying on each other’s skills and trust, if I could do it, so can he,” She replied.

“And what do you intend with him? After he learned what he need to, that is,” Tercier asked.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean… About that woman in Canterlot, Cosmos, Galaxia, their royal guard…”

“What should I? He will have an option to return there and be our ear and eye, or stay here with us. None the less, after getting a Crystal Gauntlet he will have no option but to follow the order’s priorities and laws…” Extos explained.

“And what if… What did you say? What was her name?”

“Itrix?” Extos wondered.

“What if she gets in our, or his way? They are close, would you have him kill her still?”

“Let’s hope it won’t come to that. Besides, if he won’t, someone else will.” She replied.

[Meanwhile a few meters away…]

“All right, now, where shall we begin? An introduction perhaps?” Primer asked.

“You already know my name though, so do I know yours, Primer.” Mortis replied.

“Well then, what weapon class do you prefer? Maces, flails, muskets, pistols, daggers, bows, crossbows, knives, swords…”

Mortis took some time to reply. “I’m not sure, so far I’ve used throwing knives and a longsword…”

“Well, let us see which suits you the most…” Primer replied.

“Uh, sure… Where, when and how?”

“Just follow me…” They left the hideout during daylight, and made their way toward the castle, where they met Walgarus talking to a patrol group.

“Altamir? Back already?” Walgarus wondered.

“Yes, well… Turned out my name is actually Mortis,” He replied.

“Mortis it is, and your friend?”

“He’s Primer, he’s the reason we’re here,”

“Oh?” Walgarus replied, raising an eyebrow.

“Yes, well, we’re here to see the list of wanted criminals,” He exclaimed.

“Hmm… Go to the dungeons and ask the warden, she’s the mare you’re looking for…” Walgarus replied.

“Thanks,” Primer replied, and headed for said mare.

“How did you even know the way? Have you been here before?” Mortis asked.

“You have lots to learn,” He replied, then approached the mare. “Excuse me, ma’am…” He exclaimed.

“Hey, I know you… You’re one of those guys who helped us… What can I do for you?” She replied.

“Walgarus told us you’re who we need to talk to about the list of wanted criminals,” Mortis replied.

“Doing some bounty collecting, or just plain practice? Sure, come and look…” She replied and showed them to a wall, covered in portraits of criminals. “Here they all, let me know if you found a target…” She continued.

Mortis and Primer talked for a few minutes deciding who to hunt, until they decided. “That guy it is? Well then, what would you try using?” Primer wondered.

“I was hoping you would recommend one…” He replied.

“Well then, how about this fine two handed razor sharp blade?” Primer inquired while handing him a Katana, which was made from his C.G in no time.

“Sure, should we go now?” Mortis wondered.

“We? Huh, what do I have to do with this?”

“What? You’re not coming with me?”

“Why would I? Your blade, your target, your reward,”

“But, aren’t you my teacher? Shouldn’t you come and tell me how to do stuff?”

“If I were to tell you what to do, what would be left for you to learn?”

*Sigh* “Good one, I’ll be going then,” Mortis muttered, and walked away.

“Good luck!” Yelled the warden, then turned to Primer. “Are you sure he can do it?”

“How would I know? I barely met him hours ago… He could make it, or not, it’s all up to him,” He replied.

“You talk like my trainer did, anyway, there will still be a few should he make it back,” She informed him.

[*Buzz Buzz Buzz*]

“Yes?” Itrix wondered.

<Hey, it’s me again, then again, who else would it be, huh? Anyway, if you want to see Altamir, you can catch a glimpse of him at the North gate if you hurry,> The caller replied, then hung up.

She wasted no time and teleported to said gate, almost appearing in the same spot as one of the guards stood. “Easy there, Itrix. You know what happened last time,” One of the exclaimed, then seconds later Mortis approached blade in hand, lowered though, since he lacked a hilt.

“What are you on about?” Asked a guard.

“Nothing you should worry of,” He replied. “Itrix, what a coincidence,” He continued.

“Yeah, we can say that,” Come on Snowball, are you making things happen, or just trying to help me out? “What are you doing with that Katana?” She asked.

“Bounty-hunting,” He replied and walked past her.

“When will you come back though?”

“To Canterlot, or to the castle?”

“To us,”

“As soon as I’m done with the order,” He replied, and walked off.

“Don’t you want to go, help him?”

“No, he’ll be fine,” She replied.

Mortis wandered restlessly for hours, until dusk came upon all those beneath, when he met a group of merchants, who greeted him fairly well, given then never saw any of his kind before. “Greetings, swordsman,” One of them exclaimed, the oldest.

“To you as well, merchants,” He replied. “Have you headed for Canterlot?”

“Indeed we have, where have you headed?” The colt replied.

“I have a life to take in Ponyville, given I recognize the target…” He informed him.

“You pity death dealer!” A mare yelled from behind.

“You condemn what you do not understand, it is a criminal I seek to kill,” Mortis assured her.

“It is the same still, their life for your money, shameful,” She blamed on.

Mortis visibly tightened his grasp on the blade’s hilt. “Right, we should part ways, we mean no harm after all, do we?” He replied, and walked on, until he came across a mare lying on the ground, resting her back against a tree. At first, he thought nothing of it, other than a tired traveller, but when he got closer she turned to look at him. Well, what had remained of her anyway. As soon as he saw the other half of her face blood froze in his veins, she was seemed to be in the middle of being consumed by some sort of crystal vein. “What the fuck is this…”

“Help… Me…” The mare exclaimed, still clinging on to what she had left.

Mortis did his best to break her free, and in the end managed to part her from the chunk of mineral which partially ate her, and left her lower body with thinned skin, some parts even missing, and rib cage exposed. “Are you all right?” Mortis asked with concern.

“Thank you,” She said quietly, then rested her head against his thigh.

Mortis carefully picked her up and took her away from the shards he broke off, and leaned her against another tree, then sat down in the same position next to her. “You need help, but we can’t go while it’s dark… I will help you back to Canterlot, a friend of mine can surely help you,” He assured her, and pulled her away from the side of the road to a safe distance, where those passing by won’t notice.

[Meanwhile in Canterlot, hours passed.]
“So, where are you from again?” Asked the warden.

“A long story,” Primer replied. “Trust me, it is,”

“And what is that thing on your… Limb?” She wondered.

“Arm, it’s my arm. And the thing is something we call Crystal Gauntlet,” He explained.

“And what is it for? A piece of armor perhaps?”

“Partially, yes, but also a weapon, I might show you how it works, should it come to combat,”

“I’ll look forw-” She was cut short by a prisoner.

“Hey! Come on baby! Let me out, and make love!”

The warden looked at Primer in disbelief at the prisoner. “I’ll be here,” He assured her, and under a second she silenced said prisoner with a moderate sized rock.

“Where were we?”

“Waiting for him to get back,”

“Right,” She agreed, and soon Mortis barged in.

“About time, how did it go?” Primer wondered.

“Not the best, I found a damaged mare and brought her in for Itrix to fix,” Mortis explained.

“You did what?” Primer asked.

“I-”

“WHO TOLD YOU TO GET BACK?!” Primer yelled, followed by a slap on the back of Mortis’s head.

“Bu-”

“WHO ALLOWED YOU TO RETURN!?” Came next was another hit.

“I-”

“GET THE FUCK OUT THERE, AND COME BACK WITH YOUR TARGET’S HEAD, OR STAY DEAD!” He yelled so loud as he could. Mortis simply nodded, and walked away muttering something like ‘Dáyna avruk…’

“Gee, that was uncalled for,” The warden threw in.

“For you, yes, for him, maybe, for me? Not so much,” He assured her.

“How so?”

“Our order has a few rules he yet has to learn, “

“And which one would this treatment enforce?”

“Don’t change your mind, if you set out to kill, do so, don’t return without killing,” He explained.

“Remind me not to join any time soon, which order is it anyway?” At this point she busted a grin. “The order of the menacing hood?”

“It seems it’s better I leave now, before anything regrettable would happen,” He informed her and left.

Hours passed until Mortis returned.

This asshole didn’t give, hah, too bad, I took it myself… Mortis through to himself, while carried the target’s head in his hand, sword in the other. “Good day guys,” He greeted the guards, who immediately stopped him.

“What are we to make of this sight, human?” One of them asked.

“Ease up, it was a criminal with bounty on her head,” He explained.

“If so, you may pass, but for the sake of others, hide the head,” He hid said body part behind his back, and followed by a facehoof, the guard replied. “You know what? Never mind, *sigh* just go,”

He happily walked down the roads, until he came to the warden’s door. “Open up!” He yelled, and soon the mare opened the door.

“That was quick, I see you got her,” She replied, and in the exchange of the head, she gave him a bag of currency. “Fancy another target?”

“Later, maybe,” He replied, and bid farewell, as he headed back to the cellar to rejoin Extos and the trio.

“You made it?” Extos wondered.

“I’m alive, she’s not…” He exclaimed.

“Good, Secunder, your turn,” Extos exclaimed.

“Sure…” She replied, and promptly left.

“Why can’t I even catch a breath…” Mortis muttered under his breath, and followed behind.

“You may be wondering what I will teach you,” She said after.

“Can we just get over it? I’m sort of ti-”

“WRONG!” She yelled, and hit him.

“Oh, so you will be the close combat teacher? Well then,” He replied while recovering, and readied his fists.

“Let’s see how long you last!” Secunder replied with a grin, and they got at each other. In the end, Mortis quickly passed the test, and defeated Secunder. “You learned quick, good, I have nothing to do left,” She exclaimed while dusting herself off. “Now go, you’re far from done,”

Mortis did just that. “Back already?”

“Why else would I be here?”

“You’re starting to impress me, good, you will know when you’re needed, you may go,” Extos assured him.

“Okay,” He said farewells to the trio inside, and to Secunder on his way. Needless to say, since the attack, Humans appeared more frequently in the streets during daytime as well, instead of living under the night as they did before. Strangely, those whose hoods were off weren’t quite avoided by ponies passing by. Maybe because their exposed face shows trust? Even less need to say, the first thing he did was see Itrix.

“Ah, Altamir, good to see you back,” Walgarus greeted him.

“My words are exact, General. Have I missed anything?”

“Not much, though Queen Galaxia hasn’t been feeling well recently,” The General noted.

“And how are your days?” Mortis wondered.

“I can’t complain, food is decent, equipment well kept, soldiers ready and loyal,”

“And what of Itrix?”

“Ah, you care for her, do you not?” The General asked with a grin.

“We one each other our lives, it’s the least,” He replied with a blank face, instead of the blush Walgarus expected.

“She’s been busy in the library, heck, if you ask me, I would say she’s possessed…”

“How so?”

“She and Moonlight had locked themselves in, barely do they even accept food carried by servants,”

“Why?”

“I haven’t had much success in talking to her ever since, perhaps you will,” He assured Mortis.

“I’ll see what I can do, I must waste no time, though,” They parted ways, and soon Mortis was at the library.

“Hello sir, you’re lucky, we were given orders to only let you, Itrix, and Moonlight through, except the servants with food and such,” One of the soldiers informed him.

“Why me?” He wondered.

“Beyond me,” The soldier replied.

“I’ll see what they’re up to then,” Mortis replied and stepped through the door, only to see a mess. Books, scrolls, parchments littered everywhere. Not torn, sure, but it was a mess, none the less… See? I can rhyme too, eat your heart out, Zecora!

<Don’t make me come over there, read the story correctly, or else I’ll go back to editing…>

Sure, sure, fine… Ahem, the library was a mess, the only thing other than the pieces of paper were Itrix and Moonlight sleeping on the ground.

Have they slept even? He walked over carefully, and checked them. Yeah, they’re sleeping… He quietly left the room, and asked the guards to help him take them to their rooms. They agreed to help him, and the two were put to bed. Now to see Galaxia and Cosmos. He made his way over to them as well, but were nowhere to be found. “Huh…”

[End of Chapter 4]