• Published 15th Jan 2016
  • 446 Views, 80 Comments

Lutscintorb - Mary Sue



A wandering unicorn teams up with a treasure hunter to uncover a legendary artifact, an object that can clear the tumultuous storm separating the world.

  • ...
1
 80
 446

Treachery

Whiskey flicked his hat out of his eyes. “What?”

Sharp Tack was busy removing himself from his harness, but in his hurry his hooves were fumbling. “That damn filly just took off!”

Whiskey jumped in seat, rolling off and landing hard on the driver box floor in a failed attempt to stand. He threw his hooves over the side and repeated, “What?!”

“She just teleported away!” Sharp Tack declared, finally freeing himself.

“Where?!”

“To Tartarus if I know!”

Whiskey turned and frantically scanned his eyes all over the landscape. A flash of pink appeared well over a hundred feet from them and he pointed. “There!” he shouted, just to spy Sparkler’s distant form disappear in another flash of light. An instant later she reappeared, and much further away. “No, there!”

Sharp Tack yelled and took off running. “I’m going to break that horn of hers!” he cried, his voice fading into the wind.

Whiskey muttered something under his breath and hopped off the stagecoach. There was no way he’d be able to keep pace with his friend, especially not with his leg. And even if they were able to catch her again, what was he to do? He couldn’t just bind her in a telekinesis spell for the next couple of days. No, their only hope of catching her now was Sharp Tack’s ability to smooth talking.

Unless, maybe, he threatened her with his machete or knocked her out. In which case, they’d need a plan B. And as much as he didn’t like it, there was only one Plan B he could think of.

He walked up to the stagecoach doorway and fumbled his way inside. After a minute of sifting through boxes and debris, he at last found what he was after: a dirty, banged up metal box. He sat down on an overturned bucket and popped open the tiny latches that held it down.

Whiskey pulled the two horn caps out and stared at them, running them over with his hooves. Each one held a little crystal bead at their tips, one blue and the other purple. Neither one was shining like a light, but they were full of bright color regardless. Brilliant.

He glared at them, raising the tips to his eyes. He could just barely make out tiny black splotches inside the crystals, hidden by the swirling colors of their respective gems. He figured that either one would last until they reached Portsmouth, but after what happened last time, he really didn’t want to chance it.

A sigh escaped him and he slowly placed the horn caps back inside the lock box, but his thought process was quickly cut short when the horn caps clattered nosily against the box’s floor. He stared down at it, perplexed, and pushed the standing papers to one side. The stack was thinner than he thought it should be.

Whiskey rummaged briefly through them until he realized one was missing, and he frowned.