• Published 11th Oct 2016
  • 1,419 Views, 96 Comments

The Guild of Equestrian Railwaymen: Dual bands of steel through the hills - bucking bronco 1968



Railway life is dangerous, busy, and stressful, and the machines used on it are unforgiving and deserve respect. But when a railway's employees, and especially the owners, lose that respect, death and disaster can almost be guaranteed.

  • ...
2
 96
 1,419

Chapter 6: The Run Of A Lifetime

It was five days before I went back to work. It was also five days before I could bring myself to leave my bunk.

I’d spent those days barely eating, barely sleeping, and listening to the radio as every critic that I had picked up from the #3800 incident tore into me with both barrels. I couldn’t go from one radio station to another without the music being cut out within ten minutes by another pony going on a rant about how I should be fired, or jailed, or exiled, or all three.

Eventually, Coal Dust showed up at my door at 5:00 A.M. that fifth day after the wreck. “Stokes, you awake?” He called in. Of course I was, but I’m sure he knew that. I dragged myself out of bed, and trudged over to the door. I opened it to find Coal Dust dressed in his fire pony denims, “What’re you up to Dusty?” “I’m going back to work, and so are you.” He said in a tone that was supposed to leave to room to argue.

I, however, wasn’t so sure, “I don’t know Coal. I don’t know if I’m ready to go back.” The look on Coal Dust’s face would have been priceless in any other context. “Not ready, to go back to work? Who are you and what the hell have you done to Fire Stoker?” “Coal Dust this is serious! My actions basically closed down half the railway! My-my actions got..” The end of my sentence was cut off as Coal Dust slapped me with the back of his hoof, hard.

Really hard.

I stumbled back into my bunk, before turning my head back to Coal Dust, “Dusty what the hell!” “What, you needed it.” “How did I need a slap to the face?!?”

Coal Dust walked into my bunk before shutting the door behind him, “Because you aren’t acting like yourself. Did what happened a week ago hurt the railway, yes. Was that wreck a tragedy, absolutely. Could we have died in the mess, without a doubt. But, despite all of that, you aren’t acting like you. What happened to that pony who kept his cool during that whole shit show with #3800 enough to work an entire shit shift? What happened to that pony back at Wood Reefer’s place last week that walked into dispatch with his head held high despite the quote “mudslinging” done by ponies who don’t know what they are talking about? And the thing is Stokes, nothing that happened last week with #97 was your fault. Yeah you were the one on the hoof-plate, in the engineer’s seat of the engine that wrecked to start with, but that doesn’t mean anything that happened is your fault. You should know better than almost anypony that accidents on this line are hardly ever the fault of the hoof-plate crew, and usually are caused by some outside obstacle. If you want an extreme example, one I know you’re gonna hate me for bringing up, is your dad’s wreck. Stuck running through the fog, and he ends up running into the back of a stalled coal drag that the signal pony couldn't see. Was it really anypony’s fault? Not really, but that signal pony felt like he was the reason why the wreck happened, and why you lost your dad. He felt so bad he was going to quit the railway But what did you do, you walked up to him two days after the wreck and told him it wasn't his fault, and said that he shouldn't quit doing what he loves. Now Semaphore is the Vanhoover yard master, all because you got him to understand what you already knew.”

Coal Dust then looked me dead in the eyes, “So, what the hell happened to that Fire Stoker?” To say I was caught off guard by Coal’s speech would be an understatement. Coal Dust was usually a colt of few words, with those words usually being some mix of swears. To hear him speak so, unlike himself, was actually exactly what I needed, surprisingly.

“Damn Coal, when did you become the motivational speaker?” Dusty cracked a small grin, “Ash Pan helped actually. I told him about how you've been acting like the last few days, and he said and I quote, 'Go talk some senses into that over thinking, thoughtful, idiotic, thickheaded, big hearted steam cowboy’.”

That got a laugh out of me, making me feel better than I had in days. “Well, I guess Ash isn't feeling too bad then, he's at least acting like his old self.” Coal Dust nodded, “Yeah, he's hanging in there. I'll catch you up on everything on the way over to Wood Reefer's.” For the first time in days, I fully smiled, “Well, lead the way then.” Coal Dust, happy that I was at least partly back to myself, nodded and lead the way down to the Cafe.

As we walked over, Dusty filled me in on Ash Pan's condition. Though he had taken a battering in the wreck, coming out of it with six broken ribs, a cracked skull and concussion, sprained rear legs, and dislocated shoulder, he was making a fast recovery, and was back to acting like himself.

By the time we got to Wood Reefer’s cafe, I was feeling more like myself than I had been for the last few days. We walked into Reefer's Cafe to find many of the other first shift workers were already packing the place as they started their day. Many turned when they heard the door open for us, and we found ourselves greeted by raised coffees, smiles, and inquiries as to how we were holding up. I smiled, it was good to be back with my railroad family.

We took up a seat at the counter top, and Wood Reefer looked over to us with a smile, “Boys, it's good to see you two again. And by the looks of it, you're heading back to the railway.” My smile grew and we both nodded, “Yeah, we are. Coal finally got me to see sense, so we're heading back to work.” Reefer's smile grew, “Good to hear. This place hasn't been the same without you.”

He then walked over to me and laid a hoof on my shoulder, “I'll bet my pension and what's left of my denims that I know what you've been saying to yourself the last few days. I've seen it happen before. Just know this Stokes, none of us here think less of you for what happened. We all know what the job entails, and I know you do too, almost more than anyone here.”

He then let a smile grace his face, “Don’t let this get to you too much Stokes, you’ve got all of us watching your back no matter what they say about you in the papers.” I smiled, “Thanks Reefer, that’s definitely one of the things I needed today.” Reefer laughed, “Don’t worry you two, the usual is coming up.” “Thanks Reefer!” Coal and I called as the stallion walked away to make our coffees.

A couple minutes later, the two of us were chatting away with some of the other engine and shop crews as we slowly drank our coffee. We weren’t in too much of a rush, as we guessed dispatch still wasn’t expecting us to come in, and we wanted to catch up with some of our friends. Wood Reefer was still behind the counter, cleaning a coffee cup as the radio above him played out the classic country songs that it always did.

For that moment, I finally felt like I once had when I started doing this after I graduated high school.

It was then that the radio went to static for a quick second, before a voice that was not singing songs cut through the coffee shop. ”Good morning ponies of Equestria, this is Hot Scoop with a special report. Since the tragic events that took place on the Smokey Mountain region of the Celestial Pacific Railroad nearly a week ago, many ponies have been placing fault for the accident at the hooves of the runaway’s crew. More aptly, it’s engineer Fire Stoker. This is the same Fire Stoker that made headlines just a week before when the locomotive in his command was badly damaged, nearly leading to the death of his fire pony Coal Dust, who also happened to be working with Fire Stoker during this latest incident.”

I groaned and laid my head down on the counter top, “Faust dammit, here we go again.” I grumbled to no pony in particular.

The coffee shop fell completely silent as the reporter continued, ”That however, is only one side of the opinions in regards to Fire Stoker. I’m currently at Tall Tale roundhouse with Blow Torch, the chief mechanical engineer of the Tall Tale engine shops, and a long time friend of Fire Stoker. I’ve been told you were working the night shift last night Blow Torch, so I would first like to apologize for keeping you up.”

A deep laugh came through the radio’s speaker, ”It’s not a problem at all Mr. Scoop. I’ve got today and tomorrow off, so I’ve got plenty of time to catch up on my sleep.”

”Ah, good to hear. Now, you said you’ve been a close friend to Fire Stoker for a number of years now?”

”That I have. Known Fire Stoker since our school days. Us railroad brats were a tight knit group back in school, we were all good friends. But Stokes, Stokes was special.”

”How so?”

”I don’t think I’ve ever seen a colt get dealt as bad a hoof as he was, and still end up coming out on top.”

”If I may ask, what do you mean by, bad hoof?”

”Stokes has had it rough in life. Lost his Grandad at 8. Hotbox was basically a second father to Stokes. Then he lost his Dad at 13 in a wreck, bad weather and a signal mix up, never saw it coming. But he pushed through it all. And I’ll tell you what, he is one of the hardest workers I’ve ever seen. Took a full day of advanced classes his senior year, then he’d go to hoofball practice for three hours, then he’d pull a late night shift at the roundhouse. Got home at around one ever morning. He graduated with straight A’s at the top of the class and a healing ACL, then went straight to work for the railroad.”

”Wow, that’s quite impressive. But that does make a perfect segway into my next question. What’s Fire Stoker like when it comes to being a railroad employee?”

”Oh he’s one of the best around. Great to talk with and easy going, and an amazing driver. He was made an engineer at the age of 20, put at the beck and call of an HG-10, the most powerful engine built for the line. He’s been one of the most reliable engineers on the railroad since he started driving.”

”Now you say that he is one of the best and most reliable, so what’s your opinion on the last two weeks?”

”I was wondering when you were gonna ask about that, I knew you were going to. Well it just so happens that you’re asking the best pony you could find.”

”What do you mean?”

”Like you said earlier, I’m the chief engineer for the Tall Tale roundhouse back shops, which means it’s my job to know every part of every engine that runs on this line, and know how and why they break, and then how to fix them. Over the years I’ve developed an ability to just look at an engine and be able to tell whether or not it’s worthy to head out on a train, it’s kinda my job. Now I only got a few brief glances at #3800 before Stokes and Dusty took her out for their run, but I didn’t need to study it for half an hour to know that #3800 was not fit to leave the roundhouse. To be honest, I’m surprised she got as far as she did before she threw a shoe, and Stokes would have noticed the problems with the shoes too.”

”So that brings up a new question. If Fire Stoker would have noticed these mechanical issues, why would he still choose to take the engine?”

”Because he didn’t have a choice. The way we’re forced to do things now, the engineer’s are given an engine with their orders. Whatever engine is on that sheet, is the one you take. This isn’t too much of a change, except for the fact that engineer’s used to just be permanently assigned to an engine, but the problem is the engineers can’t change engines if something is wrong with the one they’re given. Sure, there is a way to get your engine switched out for a different one, but the process takes so long now that you get a write-up for being late in the end. Most engineers now just take what they’re given and run their train, or crash trying.”

”Is that what you think happened with #97?”

”I couldn’t tell you, I didn't get a chance to see #97 before her wreck. But it honestly wouldn’t surprise me, I’ve seen things like that happen far too often.”

”Is, is that sort of situation a common issue?”

”Unfortunately, it’s become one. One that’s stolen many a friend from me.”

”Is that so?”

”Well, let me put it like this, out of the 117 ponies that I graduated school with, 81 went to work on the railway. Out of that 81, 48 became hoofplate workers. Out of them, only 25 still work for the railway, and only 7 quit.”

The radio went silent, and so did the cafe. We all knew this already, but that still didn’t make it any easier to hear.

”I’m sorry to hear that Blow Torch, but I have to say, you’ve given me and the rest of Equestria a lot to think about. But I’m sorry to say, we’re out of time. Thank you very much for your point of view on the matter Blow Torch.”

”Not a problem. But, can I say one last thing before ya leave?”

”Of course”

”To all you out there judging Fire Stoker, know this. On a railway, an accident is rarely ever solely the fault of the hoofplate crew. Sometimes you gotta look up the chain of command to find the cause.”

The cafe broke out in cheers and shouts of agreement as Blow Torch said that. Even Wood Reefer was voicing his opinion with the others. They were so rowdy we barely heard the reporter come back.

”Ah, thank you very much Blow Torch. Well there you have it Equestria, straight from a Tall Tale railworker’s mouth. Have we been too quick to place judgement upon a pony just trying to do his job? Or is this pony biased from knowing Fire Stoker for so long. No offense Blow Torch.”

”None taken.”

”So there it is everypony, now the decision is yours. This is Hot Scoop reporting from Tall Tale yards.”

The radio then switched back to the music it had been playing before the report had come on. By the time the music came back, the other railponies around us still hadn’t completely calmed down. As the music came back properly, Wood Reefer walked back over to us, “Ya see what I mean Stokes, the rest of us got your back. We’re family out here, and families stick together through everything.” I couldn’t help but smile, and give the older stallion a quick hug, “Thanks Reefer.”

We hung around for a few more minutes, chatting with the ponies who hadn’t left for the yards yet about whatever came up. But eventually, the time came and we all had to make our way down to dispatch for our orders, or the shops for our wrenches. We lead the ponies who were still in Reefer's Cafe out into the street that went towards the yard. We looked like a small mob, just like we always did went leaving the cafe after our first shift wake up cup.

As the rails of the yard grew near, our group split in two as ponies made their way over to the roundhouses. I walked into dispatch at the head of the engine crew group. I looked around the inside of the familiar building with a smile, it felt good to be back. The group then fell apart as ponies moved around to the different desks of dispatch.

Though no pony was assigned to a specific dispatcher when it came to receiving their orders for the day, but it always seemed like the orders worked their way into the hooves of the same stallion or mare they dealt with the day before. And the week before that. And the month before that. And the yea, alright I think you get the picture.

Just like I had done hundreds of times before, I made a beeline for Files’ desk with Coal Dust in tow. It always amazed me that Files always seemed to know exactly when me and Dusty would be walking into dispatch, because he always seemed to be conveniently walking out at the perfect time. Even though his shift ended at six in the morning, he always stuck around until 7 when me and Dusty came in for our shift.

I didn’t expect to find him at his desk, as it was now nearly nine, and I presumed he would have thought that Dusty and I weren’t coming in again and I’d be greeted by the appearance of his first shift replacement Paper Clip.

Is it just me or do ponies who work in office buildings or with paperwork seem to always have the most boring and cliche names? Whatever back to the story.

So it was a surprise when I came around the corner where Files desk was to see him sitting there going through paperwork three hours after he should have went home, with Paper Clip nowhere in sight. “Oh hey Files, wasn’t expecting to see you still here.” I said as we walked up.

Files whipped his head around to face us so fast that I swear he must have pulled something. “Stokes, Dusty, am I glad to see you two again.” He said with what almost equated to a look of relief come across his face.

I smiled, “Yeah, Coal Dust dragged me out of bed finally, so it’s back to the grind.” “Well, it’s good to see you two back at it, I wasn’t expecting to see either of you until at least next week.” “Yeah, well we’re here now, and that’s all that matters. So, you got a train for us?”

Files looked back to the papers on his desk, “No, unfortunately. I just sent Coal Chute and Gold Spike out with the train that we had scheduled you two to take. We didn’t really know when the two of you were gonna make it back in, so we’ve been making copies of the orders for trains we wanted you guys to take, and then we just get rid of the sets that have your names on it when you don’t show.”

Files then sifted through a few more papers on his desk, before his face lit up, “Hold on a sec, I actually do have something for you two.” The quick turnaround got me and Coal curious, “Oh? Where’s it going?” Files turned to us with a big smile on his face, “Well, it’s going to Ponyville, but..”

“Wait, Ponyville, no way!” Coal Dust said with the kind of elation that I had never seen the stallion express. Both myself and Files were caught completely off guard, “Woah, you alright Coal?” I asked. “I’m great Stokes, why wouldn’t I be?” “What’s with all of, this.” I said, waving a hoof at him. Coal gave me a look, but it wasn’t able to betray his joy, “Stokes, I grew up in Ponyville. It was where I lived before we moved so my dad could work for the railway. I finally get to go see all my old friends.”

Before I could say anything, Files stepped in again, “Well, this run is gonna be even better for you two.” He then hooved me the order forms, “Read the assigned motive power.” I took the paperwork and looked down to where the locomotive numbers were listed. “Wait a second, #9413 and #9414? What are two TT8’s doing out of retirement?”

“Manehatten Central got in contact with us about a month ago asking if they could barrow two of our TT8’s to run trials with to see if they would be a viable option for their new express run. So we pulled two those two out off the dead line and brought them back to working condition. Finished them up two days ago and we’re sending them off today. Chute and Spike were supposed to be the second crew for the train, but they were needed to take yours. I thought we were just gonna have to send the Manehatten crew that came in last night out on their own, but now you two are here!”

It was my turn to give somepony a look, this time it was directed towards Files, “Hold on, you were gonna send out a crew from Manehatten in charge of two of the most power passenger locomotives ever built? A set of locomotives who’s sister class took me months to master?” A big smile grew on Files face, ”Not just any crew from Manehatten, read the second page.” I flipped over to the second page and read over the crew list.

The engineer’s name I didn’t recognize, but the firepony’s name stood out. “Holy Faust, Iron Sides!” I couldn’t believe my eyes as they read that name again and again. I hadn’t seen that name in years, since I had been a teenager. Iron Sides was my father’s firepony from the time he became an engineer, up to the day of the accident that sadly took his life. Iron Sides had stuck around in Tall Tale for a couple years before he finally chose to leave due to the memories that hit him everytime he went over the hills. He moved out to rural outskirts of Manehatten and took up a job as a firepony out there.

After what he went through in the wreck, I honestly couldn’t blame him. “Yep, when Iron Sides heard about the run, he volunteered to make the make the down trip. You better hurry though, they’re set to head out in just a few minutes.” Files didn’t have to say that twice, as we took off out the door that lead to the railyard, racing towards outbound four. It was barely a minute before we caught site of the train sitting ready on the track, the two powerful engines hooked up to a train of 33 heavy weight metal passenger cars.

We quickly sprinted to the front, finding #9414 at the head of the train, also happening to be the only engine under steam. I had been sure to lead us up the left side of the engine, the side that the firepony sate on. I had nothing against the engineer, but he really wasn’t the pony I wanted to see. I swear it was like a tv show reveal as I walked up to the firepony’s window. I couldn’t believe my eyes as I looked up to see the grey on grey pony leaning on the window sill checking over the engine’s gauges.

“Iron Sides.” The words barely left me, as I had basically been rendered speechless. But somehow, Iron Sides heard me over the sounds of the engine. His head turned and he looked down at me, nearly ten feet below him. It took him a second to realize who I was, as it had been over a decade since the last time we had talked face to face, but when realization hit his eye grew. “Fire Stoker, is that you?” I couldn’t help the smile that took over my muzzle, “Yeah Iron Sides, it’s been a while hasn’t it?”

Iron Sides didn’t say a thing, instead he flung himself out of the cab and wrapped me in a hug, “Kid it’s been years!” I laughed as he finally let me down, “Yeah it has, too many if you ask me. How are the ribs holding up?” “The broken ones or the metal ones?” Iron Sides said with a chuckle. Coal and I couldn’t help but laugh, it was then Iron Sides noticed Coal Dust. “Oh, Coal Dust, good to see you again too. Been staying out of trouble for once?” Coal laughed harder, “Not a chance, this is me we’re talking about FeSi.”

FeSi was the, honestly kinda dumb, nickname Coal had given Iron Sides, and had all but insisted on calling him every time the two talked. It was then a voice from above us cut in, “So you weren’t kidding when you said you knew The Fire Stoker.” The three of us turned to see the engineer sticking his head out over the left stairs. “Told you!” Iron Sides laughed up at the other stallion.

He then turned back to the two of us, “Coal, Stokes, this is Sand Dome, one of the ponies I regularly work with back on the MC.” Sand Dome smiled down at us, “Heard a lot about you two recently.” The once forgotten look of dread crossed my face, but before I could say anything, Sand Dome quickly dismissed my concerns, “Don’t worry you two, I’m smart enough to know that I shouldn’t believe everything I hear before all the facts come out. And if Iron Sides here is any testament to the caliper of drivers that come out of these hills, then I know there’s something more to those two wrecks that what all the radio stations are preaching.” That set my mind at ease, and I’m sure it did the same for Dusty.

Iron Sides then turned back to me, “So you two are our new head crew I take it?” I shrugged, “I just know that we’re the second crew. I don’t know what you had planned out.” Sand Dome spoke up again, “Well we were hoping to get a Tall Tale crew that knew how to handle these engines, as I’ve never touched them, a Iron Sides told me he never got the chance to while he was working up here.” “They were still rolling off the assembly line when I left. I think only like seventeen of the things were running the rails then.” “Right, so we were just gonna run as rolling stock in the other engine.”

That explained why #9413 wasn’t in steam, “So you’re gonna make us do all the work?” Iron SIdes gave me a skeptical look, “If what Red has been telling me over the years is true, none of you here have gotten to even touch one of these engines in a long time. You really think I was gonna take that away from whoever the had us run with?” “Fair point, out of my cab.” Coal said as he walked over the the ladder.

All four of us laughed, and we quickly traded places. For me and Dusty, it was just like old times again as we settled into the cab of #9414. She might have been slightly taller and a lot faster than her freight hauling cousins, 9414 and 9336 were identical when it came to the cabs. Since Iron Sides and Sand Dome had already gotten the engine prepped for the run, there wasn’t much we had to do besides wait for the green signal that would give us the road.

A couple minutes later, I watched the signal drop from red to green, the mainline was ours. I smiled as I reached up and grabbed #9414’s regulator and slowly inched it open. Though she basically had a third of an HG-10’s tractive effort, #9414 easily brought her, basically, 34 car train into motion. We rumbled across the outgoing switch and crossed onto the Southbound main. We traveled along at 30mph, but once we were at the yard limit, I let the old girl stretch her legs.

From Tall Tale, we were bound for Hoofington, before we’d head East across the desert plans around Appaloosa, then to Ponyville. Thankfully, due to how the rail network was built, we didn’t have to travel up into Canterlot to get to the small town, but all in all, it was still going to probably be about a good 36 hour run. Coal Dust and I planned to make a stop for the night in the junction town of Applewood, where the line split to either take you further on the Eastern main to Ponyville, or down South to Dodge Junction, and then Dodge City beyond.

That still meant about 18 hours of running before we would get to have a proper rest, but I could get over that fact because I was driving #9414. We rolled through Hoofington two hours later, the “quick” part of the run going by quick. Ahead of us were the rolling hills that lead to our refueling stop in Mustangia, before we’d be let loose one the desert flats of the Midwest. #9414 ate up the tracks of the small 0.5-0.9% grades of the hills, having been built for much, much worse.

This put us into Mustangia half an hour ahead of schedule, with myself bringing the massive machine to a stop under the coal chute of the small yard at just a little past 1:30 p.m.. With just over four and a half hours of our journey down, and having spent most of that on “small” hills and flats, #9414 had only eaten through roughly a third of her coal and water supply. We took the stop in Mustangia however because our next fuel stop wouldn’t be until we got to Appaloosa, which was 12 hours away.

The fuel up there would give us plenty to make the last hour and a half journey to Applewood, where we’d finally get to have a rest at about 3 in the morning if we stuck to the line speed of 85mph. After a quick top up, we pulled back onto the mainline at 1:45 p.m. We soon made it out of the Mustangia city limits, and found ourselves pounding across the flat desert plans of the Midwest at the line’s speed limit.

Four hours later, Dusty and I were bored out of our minds. All we had to watch was flat lands of sand, and we still had eight hours of this. It was nearly 6 p.m., and sundown was still over two hours away, so we really had nothing to do but stare at the flat, strait, nothingness around us. Eventually I began to look around the cab, just to have something else to look at. Eventually, my attention was drawn to the engine’s speedometer, where the needle was sitting dead on 85. Something I had always found weird about the TT8 speedometer was how high it went before it finally topped out.

The speedometer finally topped out at 160mph, which was a lot higher than the 90 mph speedo in the HG-10’s. I always felt this was extremely wishful thinking, as the fastest locomotive of the time was, ironically, a Manehatten Central Dreyfuss Hudson that had achieved a top speed of 119 mph. Though the only time we had somewhat maxed an engine from the class out at 114 mph, and the engineer had said that the engine still had plenty of speed left in her, that was a long way from 160 mph.

As I sat there bored, I eventually came up with a slightly stupid idea. “Coal, I’m bored and I’ve got an idea.” “What sort of idea?” “We should see how fast this ol’ girl can go.” Coal sat up, “Wait are you talking about trying to max the engine out?” I shrugged, “Might as well. We've got the track, and no pony knows what the top speed of these things are. Might as well see how useful this 160 mph speedo is.”

Coal sat there for a few moments, and then cracked a grin, “Screw it, this is probably the last chance we’ll ever get at this. Open the taps Stokes!” I cracked a grin too, and did just that.

The speed quickly began to rize, first 90, then 95, then we cracked triple digits. We were already well past the fastest I had ever moved in an engine, but the speed kept rising. 105, 110, 115, then we hit 120, we were officially the fast thing on rails, ever.

Coal Dust and I were freaking out in #9414’s cab, and that only continued as the engine’s speed kept rising. 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, “Faust how high is she gonna go!” Dusty yelled over the sound of the rushing wind. I didn’t respond, my eyes were glued to the glass with that moving needle behind it.

The increase of speed started to slow, but we were still gaining as we blew into the 130’s. 133, 134, 135, 136, we really started to slow once we hit 137, but #9414 kept going.

138, 139, “Holy Shit 140!” We couldn’t believe it. We knew our engine could beat the Hudson’s 119, but we didn’t expect her to smash it like this. The needle continued to just barely move, until it finally went as high as the engine could go, 142 mph.

For over three minutes we tore down the tracks at that mind melting speed, we had done it. Without actually trying, we had smashed the Equestrian speed record for locomotives, and finally answered the decade old question of, what was the TT8’s top speed. Eventually I felt that the high speeds were probably destroying the running gear parts, I closed the regulator, and over the next half hour, let the train slow back to the line speed of 85 mph.

Because of that run at world record speeds, it put us into Appaloosa ahead of schedule, way ahead of schedule. We pulled into the freight yards of Appaloosa at 12:53 in the morning. We weren’t supposed to show until 1:45. By now, Coal Dust and I expected ourselves to barely be awake thanks to the boring scenery and long run, but the adrenaline pumping through us from the crazy speeds we had hit had us feeling like we had just chugged a cup of Wood Reefer’s special “wake the hell up” triple espresso.

We had barely began refilling the coal of the tender for when Sand Dome and Iron Sides came walking up to #9414’s cab. “What the hell was that!” Iron Sides said as they stopped next to my window. I just shot them a cocky smile, “What? We wanted to find out what the top speed of these engines was.”

Sand Dome on the other hoof, wasn’t even looking at us, he couldn’t pull his eyes away from the engine we sat in, “I can’t believe how fast you got this thing up to, with such a long train to boot.” Iron Sides turned to him, “I wasn’t joking when I said these engines were powerful.” “No, no you weren’t.” They stood there and talked with us until the tender was full of coal, then walked back to #9413 when we started to fill up on water.

At just a little past 1 A.M., we were filled up again and the road was ours once more. They’re weren’t many trains that came out this way once the sun went down, so being over an hour ahead of schedule wasn’t an issue. The hour run to Applewood was pretty uneventful, we kept it mostly under 100 mph, but I couldn’t really help myself after that record run.

It was about 2:15 in the morning when we came rolling into the small junction town. The only sheds that were built in the yard were a small set for the shunters, so we just parked the train on one of the yard’s receiving tracks and dumped the fire. The adrenaline that had been running through me earlier was finally starting to fade, and I was starting to nod off in my seat.

Once the fire had been dropped and we had blown out the boiler with the help of one of the graveyard shop crew members, myself, Coal, Iron Sides, and Sand Dome made our way over to the town hotel, where we grabbed two rooms, and crashed.

I found myself waking up at around 2:30 the next afternoon, turning to see Coal still dead to the world, sawing logs. I rolled my eyes, it was something that I had become used to at this point, having basically spent the last nine years of my life living with him in one way or another.

I walked down to the lobby to grab a cup of coffee, to fine Iron Sides was down there already. “Hey kid.” He said with a nod towards me before taking another sip from his cup. “Hey Iron Sides. I’m surprised to see you up already. I almost always beat others waking up.” The older stallion shrugged, “Just something I’ve always done.” I nodded, before grabbing my own cup and starting to make my coffee.

Iron Sides looked over to me after as I started to add cream and sugar to my coffee, “You still gotta take that shit extra sweet? I thought you would have gotten used to drinking it black when you worked in the shop, that’s what happened with me.” I laughed as I sat down next to him, “I got used to it for the five years I worked in the shops yes, but that just made me want the taste of sugar back when I started going to Wood Reefer’s place when I became an engineer.”

Iron Sides gave me a confused look, “You worked in the shops for five years? Why? I would have expected you to get out of there the second your two years was up.” I had to laugh, “I did, but I also started working in the shops before I was 18. Ditchlight let me start working as a greaser at 15, did the same for Coal Dust too. I still had to do my two years after I turned 18 though. I think I started about two weeks after you left.”

I turned back to Iron Sides to see his face fall as I said that, “I guess I missed a lot when I left didn’t I?” “Iron, it’s alright. Even back then I understood why you left, and I still don’t blame you for anything.” Iron cracked a small smile, “Thanks Stokes, that still means a lot. I guess I need a little reminding once and awhile. Oh, speaking of your parents, how’s your ma been?” I smiled, “She’s alright. Haven’t sent her a letter since this craziness started though. She’s probably tearing her mane out right now.”

We both laughed, then Iron spoke again, “That’s part of the reason I volunteered to fire the train over to Tall Tale. All of us back on the MC have been hearing the stupid stuff ponies have been saying about you. I’m sure everypony on the railway have been telling you that they’ve got your back, but I wanted to make sure you knew that there’s more than just the Smokey’s watchin out for ya.” I grinned, “That’s exactly what an engineer in the Crystal Empire told me when I was up there two weeks ago.” Iron Sides cocked his head, “What were you doing in the Crystal Empire?” My grin hit maximum smugness, “Driving a Mammoth Class.”

“Oh come on! You drove a Mammoth while I was laid up? Faust damn it!” Iron and I looked over to see Sand Dome, and now a very salty Coal Dust walking into the hotel lobby. I stood up and grinned at Dusty, “You can kill me later. Come on, let’s go wake up 14.” Dusty groaned and mumbled under his breath, yet still followed behind me as we walked out towards the railyard.

At 3:20, we had #9414 back in full steam, and Sand and Iron had retaken their place in #9413. I didn’t mind that they weren’t really doing anything, because it just let me have more fun with the big powerful engine. Now sure, should they have probably been trading off with us at least once a day, but i justified it in my mind with the perfect argument. One, they have no experience with an engine that is much, much more powerful than anything they’ve ever handled before, and two, shut up brain I’m having fun for the first time in a while.

Anyways, we set off for Ponyville at 3:30 p.m., and 17 hours later, after two more fuel stops and some hills crossed, the roofs of Ponyville started to come into view. We hit the tracks of the Ponyville branchline at around 9 a.m. the next day, and I slowly pulled the big train through the station and towards the small yard. I was actually kinda surprised that the tracks of the little branchline could hold up the weight of #9414 and her train.

As we passed through the station, I looked over to see a few colts and to my slight surprise, four fillies standing by the trackside watching me as I rolled in. I couldn’t help myself, I grabbed the cord to the whistle and sent out the call of the Guild, watching as all the foals jumped and took a few steps back. I then pushed the reverser all the way forwards and pulled open the regulator as far as it would go.

The light beats that had been drumming from #9414 as she coasted into the yard were replaced with deep loud roars as the cylinders took full steam. That sent the foals running like they had seen a monster, which they kinda did in a way. I just laughed and closed the regulator again, letting the train coast into a yard that it just barely fit in.

Once I brought the train to a final stop, I climbed down and walked back to #9413, “So what’s the plan now?” I called up to Sand Dome. He looked down to me, “We’re gonna wait for one of the lead engine inspectors to come down from Manehatten to check the two old girls over, then we’ll take them back to Manehatten and run our tests.” “Why isn’t the inspector here now?” Sand shrugged, “Cause that would have made sense.” I rolled my eyes, he had a point, “Alright, well I’m gonna dump the fire, train’s your problem now.” “Got it.”

It took about 15 minutes to drop the fire and blow out the boiler, and once that was all taken care of we left the two TT8’s in the hooves of Sand Dome and Iron Sides as Dusty and I walked our way back to Ponyville station. Even though both Coal and myself were pretty tired after the second long run in as many days, he still looked like we was wide awake, “I can’t wait to track down my old buddies, I’m sure at least Mac and Ratchet are still kicking around here. Faust knows where Mason ended up, I really didn’t get to know him for that long.”

I laughed, “I’m sure we’ll find them, but first I’m gonna get some sleep.” Coal rolled his eyes, “Of course.”

As we walked onto the station platform, a pony walked out of the office and came over to us, “Are you Fire Stoker?” I was slightly confused, but considering this was another rail employee, I didn’t think much about it, “Yep, that’s me, what can I do for you?” The other pony reached into his vest and pulled out an envelope, “Telegram for you came in for you last night from a Tall Tale dispatcher by the name of Files.” “Oh, thanks.” I said as I took the envelope, now very confused.
The other pony nodded, then walked back to his office.

“I wonder what Files wants?” Coal Dust asked. I shrugged, unsure, then opened up the envelope and pulled out the telegram.

Stokes, Dusty, I don’t know what the hell is going on, but somepony is after you. When Coal Chute and Gold Spike showed up in Vanhoover with the train you two would have taken, they got stormed by a bunch of royal guards. They were looking for you two, more importantly you Stokes. And I’m not just speculating that, they actually came out and said it. Apparently they think you’re wanted for murder because of the #97 accident, which doesn’t make any sense. But that’s not the point, Vanhoover and Tall Tale are crawling with guards looking for you. Thankfully, I didn’t fill in the orders for the Ponyville train with your names when you left, I was too tired and went straight home, which saved you guys. They have no idea where you are, but I don’t know how long they’re gonna stay here. Whatever you do, do not come back to Tall Tale!

Coal Dust and I just stared at the telegram, shocked. Someone was trying to arrest me, for something I had no control over. I didn’t know what to feel, or what to do. It seemed like somepony was trying to ruin my life for no reason.

Coal Dust looked over to me, “Stokes, what the hell is going on.” I just continued to stare at the telegram, “I don’t have a clue Dusty. But I do know one thing.”

I then turned to Coal, “We’re on the run, and we can’t go home.”

Author's Note:

Hey guys! Ok so apparently the five days that lead up to my first day of class are really boring, so I had a lot of time to sit down and write. So instead of taking a really long time like I thought it would, here's chapter 6!

Now I want to say this right here and now, yes, I obviously know that Mallard holds the world record for steam locomotives at 126 mph, a record I wouldn't mind never seeing broken. But in a universe where a locomotive like the Mammoth class exists, I think I can play around with speed records a bit. And I will say this, 9414's record will not be the end all be all for steam speed in this world, but that's a story for another day.

Also, shout out to the real Iron Sides, who runs The Guild Of Equestrian Railwaymen group here on FIM and seems to be a fan of the story. So his mention here is a thank you to him for the support, and for not getting mad at me for basically stealing the name of his group and writing a story around it. Thanks bro!

All in all, I don't think that my college attendance will mess with my chapter production too much, considering that production is already really low but anyways. I will warn, the next chapter will be a side chapter, and it will not be happy go lucky. I'm sure you'll be able to guess what it's going to be about, but I'm just throwing it out there as a fair warning for whenever that chapter does make it out.

Alright that's enough out of me. Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter and I will see you in the next one. Bats out!