• Published 8th Jun 2012
  • 654 Views, 17 Comments

Velvet Kiss: A Fledgling's Trail - Velvet Kiss



When a vampress' fledgling disappears, she must rescue her, armed with her wit, and cryptic clues.

  • ...
 17
 654

Chapter 1

Chapter 1




It was over a week since Sparkling ran out of the cafe that evening. Velvet had had it. The numbers her fledgling spoke to her were echoing in her mind as she tried to make sense of them. Her table was littered with notes, and books, to no avail finding anything to do with the numbers. Velvet muttered to herself.

"83198...What the HELL could that mean?"

She wiped out the papers and books from her desk, staring up at the wall. Her eyes were growing dark, she had failed to feed in a while. Velvet needed to go out. She needed to refresh herself before coming back to the search, whether she liked it or not.

With a grunt, she picked up her saddlebags, and brushed down her mane halfheartedly, trotting out the door. She headed out to the local bar, "The Poison Dancer". Velvet took a seat at the bar, ordering her favorite drink, a fine, Johnny Walker Black on the rocks. Everything around her was a blur. The dancers were simply moving to her, the lights were obnoxious, and the stallions staring at her were simply annoying. Velvet was generally lively, she loved the club, and all its chaos. But she was drained. Her search for her fledgling left her beaten and battered emotionally.

She finished her drink, and sighed. She felt even more tired, even more broken down. The world slowed around her as her vision began to daze. Velvet's head slowly dropped to the bar, her vision fading.

"Fuck....."



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Velvet woke up, strapped to a chair. She rattled her hooves in a futile attempt to break the rope. As she came to, she observed her surroundings. She found herself in a empty room, what seemed to be an abandoned warehouse of sorts.

Heh...How cliche....

A group of stallions approached her. They were masked Earth ponies, each had a knife strapped to them some place or another. The front stallion came up to Velvet, grabbing her by the mane, shoving a mobile phone into her face.

"What is it?"

"What?"

The stallion looked annoyed, and smacked Velvet across the face. He meant business.

"The code. What's the code?"

Oh, shit!

These must have been the ponies that scared Sparky off that time ago. And that series of numbers had been a code to open a file of some sort on this mobile. Velvet smiled. This is what she needed today, some action. Velvet was not a killer, but she was far from a pacifist, and she would do anything to get Sparkling back. Plus, her immense blood lust was clouding her judgement.

Velvet looked the stallion in the eyes, feigning horror. "Alright...Just..My head... I can't think straight.. I need a glass of water..."

The thugs looked at each other quizzically, eventually deciding they would provide her with her water. It was apparent they didn't see her as a threat. They weren't working independently. No, someone willing to go this far for something, whatever it is, would do their research first. No, these thugs had no idea what they were in for.

They brought Velvet her glass of water, freeing one of her hooves to allow her a drink, quickly securing the other. She took a sip of her water while she could, as she didn't intend on keeping it long.

"Now. You've got your water. Now give us the c-"

Velvet chose then to strike. She threw the water in the foremost stallion's face, and he recoiled for a moment. For that moment, one of the other stallions rushed for her, and she smashed the glass onto his head, knocking him out. The foremost stallion took out his knife, lifting it up to slash at Velvet, who spun her chair around. She was surprised at her timing, her predatory instincts kicking in, grown in strength with her blood lust. The stallion slashed the rope, and Velvet broke free, quickly pushing out of the binds in her hind legs.

The second stallion rushed at Velvet, as the one who so kindly broke her of her bonds recoiled from his mistake. Velvet ducked, sweeping the charging pony off of his hooves, and letting him fall onto the floor. As much as Velvet hated to kick one while they were down, she took great joy in the powerful buck to his jaw that put him out cold.

And that left the first stallion, the apparent leader of the pack of thugs. He rushed at her, quickly taking her off the ground and onto her back. He wrapped his massive hooves around Velvet's neck, beginning to choke her. She was left powerless to push him off, not even her predatory abilities capable of saving her.

But sometimes, it takes a stallion choking the soul out of you to let you find the will to live.

Velvet thought quickly, looking around, when she saw it. Right beside her, the unconscious stallion from just moments ago lay on his back, the knife strapped just to his shoulder. She just had to reach it. Velvet strained to reach the knife, her assailant was too full of rage to notice her attempts at survival. Velvet kept straining herself as her vision began to fade once more, her face turning to a sickly blue.

And then, a miracle. The stallion tumbled to the side-apparently having fallen in a way that put his body out of balance- to face her. Velvet quickly grabbed the knife, stabbing it into the stallion's side, making him cringe in pain, releasing her. She quickly caught her breath, and grabbed the thug by the neck, smashing him into the wall repeatedly. The musclebound attacker's strength lost, Velvet saw her chance to kill two birds with one stone. She lifted him up as far as she could, and bit into his neck, her fangs digging into him. As he let out a bit of a moan, she grunted slightly, annoyed..

Really wish they didn't ALWAYS enjoy this...Damn venom...

Velvet kept feeding. The beaten thug's soft moaning slowly turned into silence, his movements slowing with his heartbeat. She normally would have stopped a minute back, but Velvet needed his blood, and she didn't intend to let him live. She drained him of all his liquid essence, until his heart stopped. As Velvet released her victim, he fell to the ground, limp. Velvet wiped some of the blood from her muzzle, grinning.

"Well...At least I got a good drink in the end..."

Velvet took the mobile from the stallion's pocket, entering the code told to her by Sparky at the cafe. 8-3-1-9-8. The phone flashed green as it accepted the code, opening up to a folder full of all sorts of information.

Maps, contacts, thermal readings, terrain reports, a census. All from what it seemed to her was some variety of island. Marked in the most important bit, she found something special. The thing she'd been looking for all this time.

Coordinates.

Velvet trotted out of the building, breathing in the fresh air that she had so nearly been deprived of. Her recent feeding had her feeling rejuvenated. Ready for anything, Velvet looked out onto the horizon, and on to the rising sun.



Hold tight, Sparky. I'm coming for you.