• Published 8th Jun 2012
  • 654 Views, 17 Comments

Velvet Kiss: A Fledgling's Trail - Velvet Kiss



When a vampress' fledgling disappears, she must rescue her, armed with her wit, and cryptic clues.

  • ...
 17
 654

Prologue

Prologue


Velvet lay in the bed of her hotel room for a while. She felt bored. And if there was anything that she hated, it was boredom. Velvet stood taller than most other mares, especially other pegasi. She had a brown coat, and a red mane, with pink highlights. She got up out of her bed, and went to the mirror to inspect herself.

Of course, Velvet’s routine was the same as always. She spread out her wings, to inspect them, making sure nothing had ruffled. She brushed back her mane as well as she could, and began brushing her teeth, being extra careful with her fangs.

Velvet was, in fact, a vampress. She was not frightening; she was indeed very beautiful, found in high regard by her peers. Mostly stallion peers, but peers nonetheless. She fed every once in a while, generally with ponies who found it to be a gift, as her ‘venom’ caused a significant amount of pleasure to the prey, as to make sure they didn’t escape. She led a fairly average life, if not a bit mundane for her tastes. Velvet needed something to do with her time. Something exciting, and life threatening, if possible.

She was about to get it.

Velvet was on her way to a local café, to meet Sparkling Spoon, her fledgling. A fledgling is a term describing one who was recently turned into a vampire, however could still be used at a further age, in a way similar to the use of the word ‘child’.

In this way, Sparky was very much Velvet’s daughter in their relationship. Velvet cared for Sparky in a way that she had never before felt, a deep maternal passion, with all of the protective instinct. She put on her saddlebag, a black bag with red straps, filled with her books, bit sack, and various other materials she felt she would need when out on the town, a sort of “big-town emergency kit”.

She made her way out of her hotel room, leaving for the café. She smiled, taking in the warm August breeze. She loved living in a hotel. She lived in the top suite, more high class than some homes. Velvet came from the political families of Trottingham, born into wealth.

She made her way into the café, and found Sparkling Spoon sitting in a booth by the window, waiting for her. Their visits to the café were often, generally twice a week on no particular days. She sat across from Sparky.

Sparkling spoon was a pink Pegasus, with a bright, cyan mane. Her eyes gleamed emerald, and her fangs were barely visible.

Velvet greeted her Fledgling with a hardy “Hello, darling!”

“Wonderful to see you again, mistress.” She said in a monotone. Her head was hung slightly, she had bags under her eyes.

Velvet smiled at her fledgling, but she soon gave her a puzzled look. Sparkling Spoon was generally an upbeat, happy mare. To see her so drained was new for Velvet, and she was curious.

“Sparky, love.. Are you feeling alright?” Velvet asked with a legitimate concern.

She stayed silent for a moment.

“Sparky.”

“I’ve found something, mistress.”

Velvet looked at her quizzically, and puts down her menu on the table, ordering an ice water from the waitress that was droning about the café.

“Found what, darling? Is everything alright?”

Sparkling began to say something, when she got a look of suppressed horror on her face, just as she saw a carriage parking out front of the café. She looked to Velvet with panic in her eyes, leaning in close.

“83198, mistress. 8-3-1-9-8.”


With that, Sparkling Spoon galloped out the back door, nearly sending the waitress carrying their waters tumbling over. Velvet was left alone at the booth, staring down into her drink, and to the empty seat in front of her. She thought the number her fledgling spoke of in her head.

83198…. 83198…