• Published 16th Sep 2016
  • 299 Views, 0 Comments

Distant Ties - Golden Paw



Coming of age is a big thing for a bat pony, but when Star Oak has to return to his roots he finds that his distant relatives are far less accepting of a bat pony with a earth pony mother.

  • ...
 0
 299

Chapter One

I knew this day would come, the day when ma oldest would have to leave the nest. I just didn’t think it would come so soon. It seems like no time at all since I held little ‘Star Oak’ in ma hooves, his new eyes looking at the world around him with wonder n innocence.

I know it ain’t permanent or nothin. It’s only fer a little while that he’ll be gone but that don’t make it easier ter bare n as I stand there wavin good bye I can’t help but worry. He’s still young, he don’t know much about the world outside Ponyville n though I know he’ll be with family I can’t help but sniffle.

As if reading ma thoughts ‘Shadow Guard’ holds me a little tighter n I can see the same worry in his blue eyes even through his eye protectors. Shadow nuzzles me gently, his tufted ears tickling ma nose as he nibbles ma ear with affection. I can feel his concern, muscles tense under his matt grey coat n the way his dark leathery wings are tucked tightly at his sides. I smile bravely back at him with gratitude, and take a moment to brush his ebony mane from out of my eyes.

I know he feels right proud of our colt, just as I do, n looking ter ma other young’uns I see their resigned pride too. ‘Evening Glade’ tries to look tough n strong, towering over the rest of us, yet I know by the tremble in his lip that he’s gonna miss ‘Star’ possibly even more than me. His large black coated body shakin even as he fights not to let his yellow slitted eyes tear up.

I smile as ma youngest, ma dear ‘Sky Petal’, lays her comfortin hoof on Evening’s heavy set shoulder, her happy-sad smile just visible under the waterfall of bleached blond mane. Ghostly grey with little white speckles n slight of build, she looks so small compared to Evening n yet keeps her composure far better than her older, more sturdy brother.

I can’t stop ma own tears as ‘Sky’ rubs her head reassuringly along the crook of Evening’s neck, barely able to reach his square chin. She puts one of her bat wings out to steady Evening who now looks like he’s going to stumble as he finally fails to hold back the sobs.

Sky catches me watchin and I see mutual understanding in her green, round eyes which gives me courage. She’s an ‘Apple’ n we Apple mares are made of tougher stuff, always have been n always will be. We don’t go ter piece’s when things get rough….

I look back ter the train which Star Oak boarded only moments before n I already miss him. The way he smiles, his chestnut coat n sandy blond mane just like ma own n a face so like his father’s that I see Shadow every time I look at him.

Takin a deep breath I squash down the rising ache n look for the tell tale of shpae bat wings among the bustlin passengers on the train. Just when I think I’ll miss a final chance to wave Star goodbye I see his turquoise, cat like eyes and sharp toothed smile watching from further down the line of carriages.

I feel the pride resurface as he sits, far more composed than we all are, n gives a confident wave before the train’s whistle blows ter announce that time’s almost up. Only the supportive hoof of Shadow on ma shoulder keeps me from galloping after the train as it speeds up n with a final shrill whistle pulls out of the station and takes ma Star Oak away.


Star Oak waved eagerly as the Ponyville train station disappeared around the bend and let his thoughts play out what was ahead of him. Sure he was going to miss home, but the idea of spending a few months with his distant relatives near ‘Smokey Mountain’ swallowed those feelings in excitement.

He studied the invitation held in his hooves, written on simple paper was the request that he would come and visit Shadow’s home ‘colony’ for his ‘coming of age’ ceremony. After hearing all the stories dad had told him about ‘Raven’s Rest’ Star was fidgeting with barely contained enthusiasm. He longed to see the ‘Shining Caves’, the ‘High Roosts’ and even the Forbidden Crevasse’; in short all the places Shadow had grown up in.

Then there was grandmare ‘Starsight’, his grandstallion ‘Cloudy-Knight’, all his cousins, aunts and uncles. Distant figures who Star could hardly wait to get to know better, family that Star only really knew from letters and photos.

Settling into his seat, Star let the gently rocking carriage speed him along and couldn’t help but smile as the trees and low hills surrounding Ponyville zipped by. The train was picking up speed now and Star took a chance to look around at the other passengers.

Ponies, Buffalo, Zebra along with many others were settling in for the journey and Star didn’t give the cosmopolitan assembly a second glance. The Ponyville that Applejack described had long since expanded and evolved during Star’s childhood. The days of an almost exclusively pony society were a distant memory and as he continued to watch the other travellers Star liked what he saw.

A zebra mare was sitting a few seats down, gently singing a lullaby to her foals in her native tongue while across the aisle from Star he saw a well dressed Buffalo in suit and tie chatting amicably to a similarly attired pegasus. Further along Star even saw a dragon, too young for his wings to have developed, trying to squeeze himself onto the seat only just big enough for his crimson scaled bulk.

It made Star feel safe, knowing that he wasn’t the only different person on the train. Though the locals were as accepting as ever, growing up as the only bat ponies native to Ponyville made for an interesting time for Star and his family.

That had changed as time wore on of course, but being the only bat pony in his nursery, the only one at his school had made Star the centre of much unwanted attention. It had been easier when Evening and Sky had come along, the three of them moving through the layers of childhood together with Star leading the way. Not sad times as such, but just different.

By the time Star had finished school, the lay of the land was far removed, ‘Princess Twilight’s’ academy having drawn peoples from the lands roundabout to the town and then ‘city of the future’. Everything was changing these days and Star felt proud to be a witness to it all.

‘Magical Technology’, that was the name of the game recently and as Star looked about the carriage he saw plenty of evidence for it: Magical lights, communicators and even ‘auto-magic’ windows. Everywhere there were signs of the progress being championed by Twilight and her ‘Centre for Academic Progression.’

As the train continued to speed along Star saw the landscape outside change too, they were leaving ‘Old Ponyville’ and heading out into the more modern districts. Shiny houses, bristling with the latest ‘conveniences’, lined the tracks and no one could fail to notice the towering spire that was the academy proper.

The sky was full of airships, flying citizens and other more exotic creations. The laboratories and research stations drifted among the clouds that they were disguised to mimic, their impressive ‘Chameleon’ spells allowing even sunlight to pass straight through them so that they didn’t cast shadows on the ground below.

That was what was most impressive about all of this Star mused, every effort had been made to hold on to the ‘authentic’ style of Ponyville’s past. With every new construction, with every new tower or factory the spells to preserve the ‘feel’ of a simple town had increased in complexity.

You could look out across the whole of Ponyville and still believe you were in a humble little village. It wasn’t perfectlyt true, the sheer size of the settlement could never be hidden now but Ponyville didn’t have the same atmosphere as of the huge metropolises that Manehatten or Baltimare had become over the years. It clung to the ‘quiet life’ for the most part with tenacious hooves.

Everyone was coming to Equestria now, pony lands fast becoming the core of a grand multi-cultural society that offered peace and protection. Many of the old terrors or evils had been cast out or even in some cases reformed to work in harmony with others.

The future was bright, hopeful and Equestria didn’t have any reason to think things wouldn’t continue. The reign of the four Princesses had gone from strength to strength and though there were times of hardship, Equestria not only endured but prospered.

Star chuckled to himself and brought his musing back to the more sensible and mundane. For him and the Apple family life was far simpler. No matter how impressive technology got, the world still relied on the ‘natural touch’ that earth ponies could bring to agriculture.

Oh many efforts had been made to replicate the quality of their produce through the burgeoning ‘mage-tech’, but none had ever stood the test of time. Small ‘enhancements’ had crept into farming of course but none of the fancy machines ever beat a ‘natural grown earth pony crop’, as Applejack took every opportunity to tell folks.

Star felt the first real stirrings of homesickness as he thought about his mother. He smiled as, reaching down, Star felt the reassuring corners of the care package Applejack had given him, still safe and secure under his seat. The excitement he’d first felt simmered down as the train continued its journey, quickly replaced by the everyday thoughts of practicality.

Star went through a mental checklist, ensuring that all his belongings and necessities were accounted for. As always mum had been efficient; all his clothes, books along with odds and ends stored away for the trip.

Star double checked his ticket and that he had the right address for when he got to ‘Misty Heights’, the small town nestled among the mountains west of Ponyville. It was situated near the base of ‘Smokey Mountain’, just at the snowline and the final stop this train had to make. Confident that there was no way he could possibly miss his stop, Star settled down to watch the buildings and trees fly by.

As time passed the view outside the window became far more wild, the city’s soaring towers gave way to open fields before the distant outskirts of forest could be seen drawing closer by the second. Star’s heart leapt as the looming silhouette of mountains rose up beyond the trees and he even fancied he could make out the massive bulk of Smokey Mountain itself, separated from its fellow peaks by a gully that the train wound towards.

There had been several stops along the way, the train filling and emptying as various travelers continued to embark or alight. The train was nearly empty now, few passengers needing to travel so far from the centre of pony lands.

Star was even excited to see a few bat ponies among the other passengers and smiled eagerly at them wondering if they could be distant relatives, but to his dismay they didn’t give him a second glance or quickly turned away if they noticed him looking at them. One particular dark blue stallion had even treated him to a raised eyebrow, his disapproval clear despite the dark protective goggles he wore.

Suddenly feeling apprehensive, Star turned his attention back to the view and saw the mountains abruptly curtailed as they entered a forest. All Star could now see were the blur of hundreds of trees passing beyond the window.

Trying to ignore the sudden melancholy that had settled upon him, Star opened his care package and took heart at the comforting smells from within. The lovingly prepared sandwiches and juicy apples rekindled some of his spirits and soon he forgot all about the odd behaviour of the other bat ponies.

Star was going to stay with family and they would no doubt be happy to see him, what were a few odd looks from strangers compared to that? Feeling much better about things, Star swallowed the last of his lunch while trying to catch sight of the approaching mountains.


The first thing that struck Star Oak about Misty Heights was the chill in the air. It caught in his throat and filled his lungs with bracing cold. The second thing was just how somber the atmosphere seemed.

The whole place felt like stepping back in time; the lamps held real candles in them, the squat cabins were crafted out of interlacing logs, the bark still attached and the whole effect drew Star’s memories to the earliest pictures of Ponyville he seen. Misty Heights just screamed ‘frontier’ at him.

Whereas Ponyville was full of vibrant colours and cheery faces this place was grey and pale. Like a frozen ideal of the past, how a village would have been before new inventions had swept across Equestria. Still that didn’t mean Misty Heights was entirely drab, there were efforts to make the place more welcoming, but they seemed halfhearted at best to Star who saw the inhabitants weren’t much better.

They were a grim looking bunch, wrapped up in heavy woolen overcoats and trudging their ways through the slush and half melted snow. As they wound their ways around the heavier drifts and icy puddles Star realised what had struck him as strange; they were all earth ponies. After the mixed and vibrant streets of Ponyville the idea of an exclusively earth pony settlement just felt plain weird.

This close to Raven’s Rest Star expected to see at least some bat ponies staying here, yet as he cast his eyes about the dreary place Star saw only wingless, gruff looking ponies almost lost in the thick clothes they wore.

Glancing back at the train in confusion, Star saw the last of the passengers disembarking were of the same ilk. All quickly throwing on heavy overcoats before joining the sparse inhabitants here. The few bat ponies that had come this far didn’t linger, but took off almost as soon as they left the train, heading up towards the mountains beyond.

Hefting his luggage onto his back, Star set his face in an expression of determination before advancing towards the street beyond the platform. Calling it a street was giving it too much credit Star realised, the slushy dirt path only lead to a huddle of the stout wooden buildings, built close together as if to keep each other warm.

It was a great surprise when he suddenly caught the sound of cheerful music carried on the wind. Perhaps there is some life in this place after all? The tune was foreign to him, far more jagged than the likes of Ponyville and his home. Nor could he place the instrument, a harsh almost grating sound that reminded Star of a violin but with far deeper resonances.

His curiosity peaked, he trotted towards the sound and saw it came from what no doubt passed for the local inn. Like its fellows the inn was a squat, snow topped wooden block and as Star approached he saw warm light behind the frosted windows. He drew closer and was about to knock on the sturdy door when it was opened suddenly.

There before him was a shockingly small filly, all bundled up and who stared up at Star with a look of surprise that mirrored Star’s own. Her little mint green face screwed up in an expression of confusion and before Star could say a single word she bellowed back into the room beyond, “Otets’, there’s some bat freak at the door!”

She had an amazingly loud voice for one so small and Star leaned back as a much because of shock as a far larger shadow loomed up behind the filly, “What’s that ‘Mistletoe’?” Star leaned further back as the hulking shadow stooped and Star caught sight of a pair of brilliant orange eyes watching him from under a heavy hood.

“Looks like a bat pony, but he’s a funny colour otets,” Mistletoe announced in her harsh accent and Star felt his own ears droop as this otets (who ever he was) squeezed himself through the doorway and Star had an impression of a lime green face and hooves under the heavy woolen coat that all the ponies here seemed to wear.

“Yes, I can see he’s a bat pony ‘Mistle’ but as for him being a ‘freak’? No he’s just not from around here by the looks of him,” The hearty chuckle caused Star’s bones to rattle and he tried to speak only for a muted whisper to come out.

Swallowing before his second attempt Star finally managed a squeaky, “Hi Mr Otets, My name is Star Oak and I’m…..” His timid explanation was cut off as booming laughter shook the wooden house and even caused some snow to tumble from the nearby trees.

“Oh no. I think you must be confused there, I’m certainly not your otets!,” The heavy set green face was split by a huge smile, “My wife would have me whipped out of Misty Heights if she heard you talking like that Mr Oak.”

Star could only blink as Mistletoe giggled from behind the not otets’s legs, “You silly colt, ‘otets’ means dad. His name’s ‘Stoic-Branch’ stupid,” Mistle continued to snigger and Star cringed as Stoic gently patted her.

“Oh, I, er, sorry….” Star began again before Stoic waved his attempt to apologise away.

“So son, what can we be doing for you this fine afternoon?” Stoic asked between his chuckles, “By the looks of things you’ll be looking for shelter yes?”

Star blinked a few times before his mind caught up, “I er no, thanks but I’m looking for the fastest way to Raven’s Rest.”

For the first time since Stoic had appeared his face fell, “Ah….so you’re heading up to ‘Vor-ron Ord-ar’?” Star’s ears pricked up as he heard Shadow’s name for Raven’s Rest and the excitement must have shown on his face as Stoic nodded in a resigned fashion, “Should have guessed, you being a bat pony and all.”

“There’s nothing wrong with that is there?” Star asked, the previous unease he’d felt on the train welling up again in the face of Stoic’s dower frown.

A little of the leviety returned to Stoic’s voice, “For you? With your wings it should be an easy flight, I just wouldn’t expect a terribly warm welcome looking as you do.”

Star froze, ”The way I look?”

Stoic’s expression became almost pitying, “Not from a colony are you? Grew up with normal ponies I’m guessing?”

Star didn’t see what that had to do with anything, “My dad was from Raven’s Rest, I have family there who I’m going to visit. They invited me.”

If Star had expected this news to change Stoic’s expression he was sorely disappointed. Stoic simply shook his head sadly and gave a knowing look to Mistletoe who for her part simply stuck her tongue out at Star and blew a raspberry. “I wish you luck Mr Oak, but you’re not the first ‘outsider’ to come here and well let’s just say they were more than a little let down by what they found.”

Star couldn’t believe what he was hearing, they were his family up there and here was this stranger warning him about them. Star thought back to all the kind and encouraging letters he’d gotten from them over the years and simply couldn’t match up the massive gap between the two ideas about Shadow’s colony.

Stoic reached out a hoof and laid it companionably on Star’s shoulder, “Well my young friend I certainly hope you are right and I’m wrong. I’ve been around enough to know the world hasn’t run out of surprises for us yet.”

Still smiling he looked down to Mistletoe again, “And as for you my little ‘ne-priyat-nost’’, say you are sorry to Mr Oak for your rude words.”

It looked like Mistle wouldn’t comply but finally she sat on her haunches, folded her hooves and mumbled something that vaguely resembled an apology. With this done she trotted out into the snow, nimbly stepping between Star’s hooves. She headed off with further muttering and unintelligible grumblings.

As her tiny form became lost in the drifts Star looked back to stoic who gave him a condescending smile, “What she lacks in size, my ‘ne-priyat’ makes up for in spirit.” Giving a huge sigh Stoic put a supportive hoof about Star’s shoulders, “Now you simply must let me make up for her manners. Come have a drink and warm yourself by the fire!”

Star tried to protest, “I can’t, I’m meant to be meeting…..” but it was no use as Stoic ushered him into the humid darkness within the house.


High above the small little hamlet a lone bat pony watched the unfolding scene below with an unreadable expression. His blue coat, almost dark black was stark against the nearby snow while his greying mane whipped in the wind as he stared at the disappearing shape of Star Oak down below.

Seemingly oblivious to the cold, he raised an eyebrow at this unexpected turn of events before grinning to himself in a not entirely pleasant manner. He stood for a while longer, his body steady and composed despite the worsening weather that was descending. With a sudden flourish he spread his wings in a dramatic manner and leaned back.

After a short skipping jump he soared out into the growing blizzard and deftly wove his way around the windswept pines and rocky outcrops that covered the mountainside. Circling a few times he allowed the wind to carry him closer to Misty Heights before he dove down, a silent wraith in the building storm.

Nopony saw him land, nor did they notice as he made his cautious way to Stoic’s little hut. With a quietness that would have bypassed even the most vigilant guard, the bat pony clambered onto the roof. Not a single creaking beam or even a shifting of the roof’s cover of snow marked his passage and with an almost casual air he pressed his tufted ear against the thach and listened intently.

The sounds of hearty conversation filtered through the layers between himself and the ponies within and as he listened the grin on the stallion’s face only grew wider. It seemed that Star Oak was being treated to the boisterous hospitality of the local earth ponies, “Good, he could do with some bolstering.”

The bat pony’s accent was akin to the loud voices below but had a much quieter, silky, quality to it. If Stoic was a hammer then this pony’s voice was a stiletto blade, both tools made of the same metal yet so different you could hardly compare them.

The intruder settled down on the roof and didn’t even bother to shake oof the gathering snow that was piling up on his wings or back. His cold expression moved from alternate smiles and frowns as he picked up on the warm chatter below. Many things that the hefty Stoic said were indeed true, but others were so far off the mark that they almost made the eavesdropper laugh at their absurdity. Smiling to himself before nodding, “Interesting...”