• Published 20th Dec 2015
  • 2,222 Views, 19 Comments

The Fire Within - Black Hailstorm



Zuko desires nothing but redemption. His scar haunts him every night, everyday and he can't take it anymore. His uncle suggests he visit a man that can help him reach the thing he desires most. That man, albeit leads Zuko down a different road.

  • ...
7
 19
 2,222

Chapter 6

Pyre

Five minutes. That’s all it took for everything to go sour. Five measly minutes and now marked for the second time Zuko could hear a roar from one of the teenage dragons that had confronted them and him upon their arrival in this secluded part of Fillydelphia.

Back when Zuko was younger, his uncle Iroh often told him dragons were wise yet dangerous creatures. Ones that would offer their help to you forever if you were able prove to them just how worthy of it you were. And then there were other dragons that were easily angered, would destroy anything and everything in their sight, and could be just as merciless as the Fire Nation when they felt threatened or crossed.

Sadly, Zuko and his traveling companions had had the unfortunate chance of meeting the latter.

A jet of flames shot at them but only did minimal damage against Twilight’s force field.

Spike, the poor brave kid had tried to talk some sense into his own species, but now lay unconscious in Rarity’s lap, a large mark on his cheek showing where one of the dragons had smacked him, whether unintentional or not, with their tail.

Rarity was currently fanning Spike with a hand, casting worried glances at her friend who was still unconscious and had been so for the past five minutes they were being pinned down.

Pinkie Pie was now pacing fervently, doing everything in her control to listen to what Twilight had said and try her best not to go all Pinkie on the dragons that had so irregardlessly hit her friend.

And that’s how everything started. When Spike got hit.


There had been a moment where after Spike had gotten smacked and sent a good four inches into the air, everybody froze.

Zuko froze, Spike twitched in mid air doing a small cartwheel as gravity did it’s job and brought him down. Twilight’s eyes widened greatly, her bangs being lifted up in the process as she watched almost in slow motion the stinging pain in Spike’s eyes. Rarity gasped and placed a hand to her chest, shocked and disgusted by such atrocious behavior.

And Pinkie. Pinkie’s hair deflated when Spike finally landed on the ground with a groan, holding his face, before twitching one more time and passing out.

One of the teenage dragons who hadn’t even noticed Spike because he was so tall didn’t even take not of the 5 foot tall kid on the ground now passed out.

The dragons of Dragon City and the ponies (and Zuko) stared at each other for a long time. Spike’s friends more looking at his unconscious form than the dragons.

A few seconds of stony silence passed on the mortar streets that lead down to the town’s main hall where more residences could be found. But before one of the dragons could repeat his previous question of why these ponies and that minotaur or whatever it was, were here, another teenage dragon tapped the leader’s shoulder and whispered something in his ear.

“I did what?” the dragon said with a cocked brow.

The female dragon beside him merely pointed six inches down, northwest. There was Spike laying on the ground.

For a while everyone was staring at Spike. And for a while Spike just lay there unconscious with his tongue sticking out in a comedic manner that no one really wanted to address right now.

Then all of a sudden Pinkie screamed. A scream that pierced the heavens itself, and thoroughly shocked Zuko by its suddenness that he nearly stumbled and fell.

“YOU!” she snarled at the dragon, taking a step forward her eyes narrowed and for a second to the others it looked like her eyes were radiating fire. “YOU HURT SPIKE!” she yelled with a stomp of her hoof.

All four teenage dragons looked at each other in confusion, the one female of the group who was actually smart enough to understand what was going on shook her head and directed her friends attention to the unconscious drake.

“Ohh” the four males said in unison slowly.

They shrugged. “He shouldn’t have been standing in the way.”

“Wha- How dare you?!” Rarity stated her horn glowing and levitating Spike towards her. “He was just trying to calm you down you uncouth barbarians!”

The dragon who’s red spikes covered a part of his left eye shrugged. “Like Crusher said, he shouldn’t have been in the way. We would’ve noticed him if he weren’t such a pipsqueak.”

“Why you” Twilight began, her horn beginning to glow out of anger. Zuko also quite surprised out how disrespectful these dragons were also began to scowl in their direction.

Just as he was about to open his mouth and speak, something...unexpected happen.

A pink and blue blur soared by him and the others right in the dragons direction. And in a matter of seconds everyone heard the sound of a cannon firing.

The dragon titled Crusher, stared with indifference as Pinkie came charging at full speed, sitting atop her party cannon that she had somehow managed to pull out of thin air. Her allies still looking shocked by her sudden take of action didn’t notice the confident grin on her face as she rushed on, her cannon pointed directly at Crusher; the dragon that hit Spike.

Crusher looked to his companions with a raised brow and cocky smile, all of them laughing and grinning. “What’s she trying to pull with that little thing?” one of the dragons behind him asked between laughs.

“AHEM!” Pinkie said loudly. Crusher looked down at her and grinned.

Pinkie was also smiling. She patted her trusty party cannon for good measure as the six foot seven inch tall dragon knelt down and brought his face right in the line of fire.

“And what do you plan on doing with that little play thing? Huh Element of Laughter?” The dragon said with a snicker.

Pinkie didn’t say anything. She merely kept her smile, tugged on the string and watched as her cannon fired a roaring blast of red powder into the dragon’s face, completely engulfing it in the process.

A second later the dragon lifted his head up from the red powder, and blinked. His comrades blinked also.

“Um Pinkie I think you should get back” Twilight advised, her horn beginning to glow.

But Pinkie didn’t budge. “Wait for it.” Was the only response anyone got out of her as she watched with expectant eyes as the dragon's nostrils flared, then snorted out a cloud of smoke mixed with the red powder.

“HA!” Crusher said with a grin. “That did nothing! What was that supposed to be a-” he froze mid sentence.

Everyone froze after he froze. Crusher’s eye twitched, his nostrils flared once more and then all of a sudden he fell to the ground in front of Pinkie with a loud thud. His breathing slow, but everything else steady.

For a good minute, no one said a single word as all eyes were slowly drawn to Pinkie smiling warmly at the unconscious dragon in front of her. Normally Pinkie’s smiles were warm, friendly, and cute. But even Zuko had to admit, given the current situation they were in, this had just gotten just a smidgen dark.

“What did you do to him?” Zuko found himself saying with the dragon’s friends.

“Hm?” Pinkie said as if now realizing there were others with her. “Oh! I just used some powder I had Zecora help me make for a prank I had originally planned on using it to get rid of a bunch of pesky animals that had been bothering Fluttershy’s critter friends when we got back from this mission is all” Pinkie said with a smile.

Zuko’s eyes narrowed at that statement. “Pinkie, what was in that powder.”

But that was soon proven to be unnecessary after Pinkie’s next sentence.

“Just sleeping powder” she said sweetly. “Zecora told me to be careful in the amount of doses I use because this one paralyzes the nerves in the body during sleep and makes it difficult for someone to move their muscles more fluently than usual.”

Zuko had started rubbing a temple at this point. “So what you’re saying is, you made a paralyzing substance and just shot a load of it into a dragon’s face.”


Pinkie nodded glad Zuko understood what she was saying, “Yup yup yup! It’s what he gets for hurting Spike like that and then behaving so crudely” she said with a cross of her arms.

“Pinkie” Twilight said with concern.

“Yes?”

“Behind you” Rarity said quietly.

Slowly turning Pinkie came face to face with one of Crusher’s friends. She smiled sheepishly and the dragons smiled in unison.

“Hey Twilight” Zuko said as he pulled out his swords, slowly inching towards Pinkie.

“Yes” she said with a slight nervous twitch of her tail.

“You can cast shields with your magic right?”

Twilight caught on instantly to what he was saying.

And ever since that force field had been cast, they hadn’t moved since. So here they were currently pinned down by four dragons and a unconscious one lying on the sidelines.

Pinkie kept pacing, doing her best to stay calm. Torn between her concerns for Spike and how angry she was with the dragons and how she had just caused a fight that just possibly could have been avoided.

Zuko kept his eyes on the female circling them above and then switched to the three males breathing either flames or swinging their tails into Twilight's shield. They were getting pushed back in the worst possible way.

Every hit caused the shield to shake and that in turn caused Twilight to wince. The amount of effort and concentration she was using to keep the shield stable and prevent it from breaking like glass was putting a strain on her, and she wasn’t sure how long she would last.

A tail from Spark the dragon with spikes covering his eye slammed right into the forcefield, a hit that would have proven to be fatal to Zuko had Twilight’s shield not held.

But it didn’t last long. A second after Spark moved his tail after making contact, a crack formed on the shield and began to spread.

“Twilight” Zuko heard behind him.

A glance over his shoulder and he saw Pinkie helping a seriously drained looking Twilight stand while Rarity supported a slowly waking Spike who now held his slightly swollen cheek just around the jawline.

“Your little magic won’t help you when your alicorn friend loses concentration” the female called from above. “And when it breaks you’re going to regret crossing into dragon territory. Ponies haven’t been allowed to cross this side for years and you just broke our number one rule.”

“We don’t want to fight we just want to talk” Zuko called, but his words were drowned when the force field was struck with another deafening blow that caused multiple cracks to form.

“It’s breaking, we’re almost through!” One of the dragons called with glee.

Zuko scowled. This place world was more trouble than the Avatar. His arrival here had resulted him getting attacked by animals by the likes of which he’d never even seen before. Then his scar berated, followed by the disapproving eyes of these ponies. Now he was about to fight dragons.

Dragons who he wasn’t even sure if his firebending would even do anything against, but when he looked over his shoulder and saw how Twilight was straining to keep her concentration the prince let out a groan before closing his eyes and exhaling to calm himself.

“Rarity” he called taking a position. “When the shield breaks use that moment to teleport yourself and the others out of here.”

“What?! But Zuko, dear what about you? We can’t just leave you especially since you haven’t fully healed since your last incident with the timberwolves.”

Another loud crack traveled through Twilight’s force field, causing her to wince with a slight yelp of pain.

“There’s no time just get ready!” He shouted before turning his attention back to the dragons.

Rarity frowned, and looked at Spike who was still too woozy to stand on his own. She looked at Pinkie to help in a protest but the pink mare understood what Zuko was saying and said “Rarity he’ll be fine. He can control fire for pete’s sake, and I don’t think Twilight’s magic is going to hold any longer.” And exactly on cue just as she said this, a giant piece of mana tumbled off the shield and crashed to the ground before dispersing into smaller particles.

“I can do it, Zuko you don’t need to do this” Twilight protested but was cut off as her concentration began slipping. Exhaustion beginning to take it’s toll she strained herself to maintain the force field, and for a second the cracks subsided as more strikes were delivered but ultimately it did nothing as her horn began to grow warm.

Then finally just as Zuko predicted the force field shattered.

Mana rained down upon them as Twilight’s concentration shattered and the dragons seeing their opportunity descended to confront their trespassers.

But before the dragons could land, Zuko took a deep breath exhaled, then leapt forward thrusting both his blades forward and shooting flames from the tips of either blade.

The jets of flames as he had guessed were ineffective, but they did prove effective in something else he had hoped for.

Shock.

All four dragons stalled. Spectra the female dragon had a slack jaw just as her companions did. The flames had done nothing, dragons were fireproof Zuko noted. But it was the fact he resembled a ‘minotaur’ and had been able to shoot flames from swords nonetheless that had taken them off guard.

Pinkie, Twilight, and Rarity all stopped movement as well, still mesmerized by how Zuko was able to do it, forgetting they were in danger for a brief second.

Zuko glanced back and caught sight of the others checking to see they were still there. They were, and that alone caused the pit of anger in him to burn like a furnace.

“Leave!” He shouted as he spun towards them.

Rarity snapped out of her trance and recalled their situation, propping Spike up with her shoulder she looked up just in time to see Spectra snap out of her shocked state of mind and rush towards them, but she didn’t make it far when a burst of flames came out of Zuko’s hand in her direction once again slightly stunning her with how he did it.

Taking the opportunity Zuko had given them, Rarity’s horn glowed, her aura encompassed her and the others except Zuko then in a flash of light they were gone.

Zuko glanced to their spot and down the road to make sure they were truly gone. When he saw they were he simply slid the blades he had been holding into their sheaths and relaxed his fighting position.

If they were gone then that’s all that mattered. He reasoned.

A minute passed and soon he heard the flap of wings, before a gentle thud on the ground. Opening his eyes he stared at Spectra then glanced over to the other three teenage dragons that were helping their lout of a friend that had attacked Spike inches away from her.

Spectra who now studied Zuko said nothing for a long time while her friends behind her kept trying to wake Crusher up, Zuko in turn didn’t say anything either.

Both were experiencing their first times right now. Zuko seeing a intelligent dragon aside from Spike, and Spectra meeting her first human.

After a full minute had passed Spectra glanced back to the others and noticed how they were having trouble, but curiosity had a stronger hold on her than anything else.

“How did you do that?” She asked.

“Do what?” Zuko retorted. He knew what she was prying at, but he wouldn’t say. Twilight and the others still didn’t have a full understanding of how his bending worked, just the basics. But considering these dragons were a good two feet taller than him, and he had none of his trained pets to help him travel staying silent was the best option he had.

Fire won’t work on me either if I’m was careful, but physical attacks -he took a step back as Spectra took a step towards him interest in her eyes- those could do serious damage.

“You know what I’m talking about you, you--” she paused now being able to take a clear look at him. “What are you?”

“Human” Zuko replied simply. “And it looks like out of your friends you’re the smart one.” Spectra smirked at the statement, taking it as a compliment.

“Thanks, but you still haven’t answered my question. How’d you do it. Those flames. You’re not a dragon and I’ve studied magic under Pyre, you’re not using any. Those were natural flames, real ones not the ones unicorns conjure up with their magic. So I’m asking you again” she stated taking another step closer, which Zuko only replicated by taking one back.

“How’d you do it?” She asked again.

“Hey Spectra we gotta get Crusher back to town he’s not waking up!” Spark called. Beside him two of his friends were smacking Crusher’s face repeatedly to no avail.

Spectra sighed and turned to reply. “One second!” She looked back at Zuko with a small smile.

“You and your friends have guts. I always thought half the things said about the elements of harmony were a load of hogwash till the Tirek incident and it seems they've proved me wrong again. But since we can’t play anymore, I’m going to have to get my answer quickly.”

Zuko’s good eye narrowed. “How do you plan on doing that?”

“Like this”, taking in a deep breath Spectra just barely opened her mouth and breathed. A rush of blue flames came out and for a second Zuko froze.

Azula he thought as the flames grew closer. Quickly snapping out of his trance as he felt the heat getting closer, Zuko took a stance once more. Both palms faced the flame and when it was close enough he quickly stepped forward and bended it behind him, parting the flames in the middle.

When the flames were parted and the smoke cleared Spectra still stood there, watching him in awe.

“Interesting” she said with a grin. “Hey guys leave Crusher for a sec and come here. I want to test something.” Her eyes never once leaving where Zuko stood.

Spark, Ray, and Magma came forward. Ray dropping Crusher who groaned when his head connected with the ground and Magma’s tail smacked him right in the face for good measure.

“What’s up?” Spark asked.

Spectra pointed at Zuko. “This guy can control fire. I wanna test how good he’s at it. Help me with an experiment will ya?”

All three male dragons grinned. If this was a way to get payback for their friend while not meaning to, they would take it.

“Sure” the moss green dragon, Magma said. “Surround him.”

Zuko’s eyes widened. Without wasting a second, he turned and took tail. But given the dragon’s size and speed, they surrounded him within a matter of seconds.

“Don’t worry” Spectra said still smiling wickedly. “This won’t hurt a bit.”


Out of the frying pan and into the oven isn’t that right uncle? Zuko mused sarcastically as he found himself quite literally the center of attention.

Spectra, Magma, Spark and Ray had him on all sides and Zuko was beginning to find some understanding in why the ponies of this town didn’t like dragons. So far these ones had been a thorn in his side.

“Ready guys?” Spectra asked.

“Ready” the other three called in unison with delight. “Remember we’re not trying to kill him” Spectra added as an afterthought, a statement which caught her friends of guard.

She noticed but ignored it. “3, 2, 1” all took in a deep breath ready to release a stream of fire upon Zuko that he was sure he wouldn’t be able to completely fend off without getting burned.

For a split second the image of his father flashed into his mind, his scar began to tingle in strange sensations and then in an instant it was gone as a shadow flew over them.

All four dragons stopped their pursuit as they looked to the skies and noticed the dot hovering above them that was slowly coming closer.

In an instant Spectra’s eyes widened when she realized who it was approaching them and from Zuko’s perspective the other three knew who it was also.

Quickly making a line and standing behind their fallen comrade who had stopped moaning quite some time ago the four stood just like the soldiers of his home had back in the Fire Nation had, staunchly.

Looking up as well Zuko saw him.

A silver dragon, 9 feet tall wearing a cloak and jeans emerged, huge in both size and the power he radiated as he descended. When the large dragon with spikes and beard as white as snow landed, Zuko knew right then and there if he tried to fight this one, he would most certainly meet his end.

The silver dragon with eyes as red as fire itself looked at the young ones frowned, then shook his head. “Children, what have I told you about coming out here to the town’s outskirts? You know I have told you and the other whelps of this generation many times to not come out here have I not?” The dragon said gently.

Spectra and the others bowed their head and kneeled. “Apologies Elder. We....we saw this...’human’ and his friends, ponies trespassing on dragon territory and decided to intervene.”

The silver dragon who now noticed Zuko looked at him and saw the mark, the prince’s scar and frowned.

Zuko noticing this backed up and unable to fight it any longer, scowled.

The silver dragon said nothing to Zuko’s scowl, already understanding the situation just judging from the unconscious dragon on the ground.

After a few seconds of awkward silence and staring the silver dragon looked at Spectra and spoke. “Who were these ponies Spectral Bliss?”

Spectra cringed when her full name was used. The tone of the elder was still gentle but there was a hint of authority to it that Zuko had not forgotten in his own father’s voice back when he was a child, nor the one he had used often when he still had a ship.

“There was a party planner, a fashionista, a younger drake with them possibly around the age of 10 and a young alicorn sir.”

A loud sigh came from the elder. “You attacked the elemental bearer of harmony magic. Oh little ones” he morosely said, shaking his head with disappointment. “Take Crusher back to town and see to it he is care for. I will remain with our guest.”

“Yes but Elder there is something you must know about-” Spark began only for the silver dragon to raise a questioning brow at the dragon.

“Ah er...nothing Elder. We will leave” Spectra said casting one more glance at Zuko before her and the other picked up Crusher and took off back towards town.

Zuko was left alone with the silver dragon now giving him his full attention.


“Forgive them boy. They are still children, if they did harm to you in anyway” the dragon began only for Zuko to raise a hand in silence. One the elder respected.

“Crusher knocked out one of my friends. It was unintentional, but Pinkie didn’t take it too well.”

The dragon cocked a brow and actually let out a smile. “The element of laughter did that to Crusher? Hm...interesting. I suppose I should be glad Crusher did not insight her true wrath yes?” He said with a friendly smile.

Zuko did not smile back, he merely agreed with a slightly awkward glance back in the direction he and the others had came.

The dragon followed his gaze. “You worry for your friends?” He asked.

The question threw Zuko off guard. “Friends?” Zuko repeated the word as if it were foreign.

“Yes” he said with his smile returning. “Friends. Surely a brave warrior like you must have them?” He asked but when Zuko said nothing and continued to stare with a different look in his eyes the dragon ceased any further statements on the matter.

Once again awkwardness settled.

“Ah yes, forgive me. My name is Pyre. I am the remaining Elder of this town” he stated with as light bow.

Zuko nodded and bowed as well. “I’m Zuko, thank you for coming when you did. It wouldn’t have ended well if you had.”

“I’m sure. It would have been quite bad for the young ones if they ended up putting you in a tight spot, isn’t that right young prince?”

Zuko’s eyes slightly widened at the statement and his throat suddenly felt dry. “I...I- I’m not a prince.”

“You may say that but the way you carry yourself says otherwise Prince Zuko. Why do you reject your title Prin-”

“Please” Zuko said loudly. “Please. Just call me Zuko, I haven’t earned that title back yet.”

Pyre went silent for a moment at this statement before speaking again. “I see. Apologies Zuko. Now then, your friends are not too far away. From here I can see them off in the distance. Come we can get them and I will escort you to the town’s center where we may talk. I’m sure you and your friends have come here for a reason, especially if the Princess of Harmony has joined you on your journey.”

Zuko nodded. “Thank you Elder” he said with a bow. “I’d appreciate it if you can shed some light on what’s going on around here.”

Pyre nodded and led the way back towards the others. As Zuko followed behind the large dragon he couldn’t help but wonder, How did he know?

Author's Note:

Been awhile but I finally got something down. Gonna start updating this a bit more over the next few days.

Enjoy.