• ...
 13
 744

Chapter 1: Clockwork Dominion

A.N. - In this opening chapter I mention that Steammechs, but don’t really go into much detail on their appearances. If you want to visualize them, imagine the Big Daddy from Bioshock if he was a steam powered robotic earth pony larger then a regular pony


The engine let out a burst of steam as it sped down the track towards the large gates that sealed the entrance to the Clockwork Dominion. The gears of the door turned and clanked as the opened to allow the engine into the sprawling city. The first thing that is noticed in the city as you enter the largely mechanical city is the large clock tower in the center. The royal blue unicorn poked his head out as the city came more and more into view. Gears turned everywhere and steam bellowed out of pipes left and right. His eyes gazed on the ponies he saw out the windows, all Earth Ponies dressed in dominion outfits. All were variations of the default of golden shoulder plates with a strap across their chests that attaches to them, a variation of either a black fedora, top hat, or wide brimmed hat, several of which having cogs and pipes attached to them. Each of them had their own personalization such as golden face mask, goggles, and steam power equipment. The unicorns own attire, a brown trench coat ,his goggles, and his steam powered noise mufflers around his neck stuck out a lot. Under his coat you could see his cutie mark, a group of cogs surrounded by a magical aura.

As the engine came to a stop, the unicorn picked up his satchel and got up to leave.

“Gadget, we’re here.” The Unicorn said

With a puff of steam from the seat, a long mechanical snake came slivering out. It lashed out its tongue and slivered into the unicorn’s satchel, letting its head lay just outside the bag. The doors opened wide and the unicorn stepped out of the engine. The unicorn walked up to the customs office that stood between him and the town. He walked up to the full face visor wearing pony who was there. He looked up at the unicorn walking up to him.

“A unicorn? Not often we see one of you anymore” He said with a rather indignant tone “State you name and profession”

“My name is Syn Thysis and I am an Alchemist-in-Training” The Unicorn said to the earth pony

“It seems that with your magic, you took such a dead profession with you” The customs officer said pick up a form “For what purpose does a unicorn have in Clockwork”

“Personal interest, I want to see the biggest city in the earth pony faction” Syn said looking at the door out

“Alright, follow the Steammechs out” The earth pony said, pointing to the large steam powered robotic guards “ And a word of warning, with how rare it is to see unicorns, many ponies do not trust them”

Steam burst from the pony like Steammechs as the pushed the large door to Clockwork. As Syn stepped out he heard many voices as the ponies around him started to take notice that he was a unicorn. He pulled down his goggles and put his noise mufflers over his ears.

Syn glanced around at the large mechanical city. Despite what he told the customs worker, he was actually there for a reason. During his travels he had been stopped by a earth pony claiming that he was a Dominion council member. He stopped him to tell him that his leader had been looking for someone to help with a problem, specifically a unicorn. He wouldn’t give details as to what it was or why they wanted a unicorn specifically, he just said to come by if he wanted to know more.

Syn had decided to first decided to look around the town before he headed to the capital building, the center clock tower. He took of his noise mufflers so that he could hear what was going on around him. E noticed that down here on the lower part of the city was much grimmer then the upper areas. From a nearby alley he heard several gun shots and saw no one looking anyone in the eye. There seemed to be a lot of animosity towards him, as he had been warned. Everyone was keeping their distance and there were many whispers among the crowd.

“It seems like this part of town is in a state of distress” Syn said to Gadget, who hissed back

Thinking for his own good he should stay down here to long, Syn walked over to the elevator to the upper sections of the city. With a low hiss the pistons began to move and the elevator climbed upwards. Syn ducked as he heard a gunshot wiz by him like on of the ponies from down below had shot at him. As he reached the upper level, he saw that the city was much more hospitable then down below. The Steammechs guarding the elevator watched him as he passed. The ponies up here seemed to have more steam powered accessories then the ponies below. The ponies below clearly with the low class of the dominion and steam power objects aren’t just sold to anyone. They seemed to pay much less attention to him then the low class ponies, but the presence of a unicorn still turned a few heads.

Syn walked up to the foot of the clock tower and push the door open with his magic. The hall was lined with Steammechs that lead up to the inner door to the council room. Syn preceded forward with the Steammechs following his movements. When he reached the door, he gave a knock and with the sound of turning gears the door came open. Inside Syn saw a group of earth ponies clad in similar attire to that of the ponies in the street. The only on that stood out was the one at the front of the group, and earth pony that looked like he was wearing a full suit of machinery over his normal body. Several steam exhaust pipes were sticking out of him to release the steam powering his suit. The only part of his actual body was his scarlet eyes that looked directly at the young unicorn.

“Ah, the Unicorn has arrived” The one in the mechanical suit said “ Please step forward”