• Published 12th Dec 2015
  • 3,598 Views, 89 Comments

Daughter of the Phoenix - Solstice Shimmer



What if the pony you thought you were turned out to be a lie?

  • ...
12
 89
 3,598

Sunset Shimmer's Explanation

The three girls lived in a small house, but it seemed decent enough.
Fluttershy wasn't home when we got there, but it was obvious she was there before us. We smelled chocolate chip cookies in the kitchen and we saw that she had left us some sandwiches along with a few other snacks.
Rainbow ran to the kitchen and grabbed as much food as she could.

"Rainbow!" Twilight scolded her when she saw what she did.


"You don't live here so you have no say!" Rainbow said, her mouth full.

"But I do." Sunset said as she walked into the house. "So Rainbow, don't stuff your face. Save some for us."

"Ugh fine!" Rainbow said and put down half of the food she grabbed.

I giggled.
Sunset looked over her shoulder at me and smiled.
Twilight grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the kitchen so we could get some food before Rainbow took it all.
My emotions were slightly in better control then they were earlier, but there was still lingering tears that could spill at any second. I mean I had barley been in this new world for about two hours and they have been the best ones of my whole life.
We went to their living room as Rainbow went to her room to play video games.
I suppose she was leaving us alone to be polite.
Before I could sit down on the couch Twilight pulled me aside.

"Do you want me to stay with you two? I can go with Rainbow if you want to be alone."

I honestly wasn't really sure. I mean I didn't really know Sunset very well, but I trusted her. Still.....maybe it would be better if Twilight stayed. She knew everything anyway so it's not like she'd be taken by surprise by anything.
But.....I'm pretty sure Sunset would want to be alone with me. I mean this is the first time in years since we've seen each other so it would be a bit weird if Twilight were here.

"I think it be best if we be alone. We need to talk about a lot of things." I said.

Twilight nodded, respecting my decision.
She walked out of the room and went to join Rainbow Dash, leaving Sunset and me alone.
We sat there for a second, not really knowing what to say.

"I wish this could have happened sooner, Solstice." Sunset whispered.

I looked up from my plate and set it down on the coffee table in the middle of the room.

"Better now then never." I said.

She nodded.

"Well...where to begin?" She asked, chuckling nervously.

"I would say the beginning." I said, trying to not sound sarcastic.

Sunset looked up at me, smiling.

"It was such a long time ago, but it feels like it was just yesterday." She sighed.
"Back in Equestria when I was Princess Celestia's student lets just say I was a bit naive and careless. All I wanted was to impress my teacher and prove to her that I was worthy of the power I desired. That was my main goal in life. Nothing else mattered to me. But one day changed my life forever.
I was walking home from the library, exhausted from studying all day. It was the middle of the night so I was alone on the streets. I passed by a bar and three drunk ponies stumbled out of it. I tried to avoid them, but one of them noticed me and smiled at me. I avoided eye contact with him and kept walking, but later down the road I realized he was following me. I tried to get away, but he was much faster than I took him credit for. He teleported and entrapped me in his magic. I tried to fight him off, but he somehow drugged me so I quickly passed out after a while. The rest I don't really remember honestly, I just remember waking up in some nasty alley covered in blood and dirt."

"I knew what he did to me and I was scared. I didn't know how Princess Celestia would react to her student being....pregnant. And at my age!
To make matters worse, the pony who raped me started to harass me. He kept sending me notes that if he ever found me or my child that he would take you away from me.
I told him that if he ever hurt my child that I would tell Princess Celestia what he did to me. But then he said if I ever did tell Princess Celestia then it would guarantee your death.
So I hide. I never told anyone and I tried to avoid being in public for the whole time. It was difficult, yes, but I was able to do it. Giving birth to you was not easy. Thankfully I bribed a nurse to come over and help. I was surprised she kept quiet, but I suppose after I explained my situation she was more willing to help.
After you were born, I didn't know what to do. I loved you instantly. I thought you were the most beautiful filly I had ever seen. But I worried about what was going to happen to you. I couldn't tell Princess Celestia and I couldn't tell anyone about you. I didn't want to risk him finding out and taking you.
So I did the what I felt what the right thing to do. It was the hardest thing I've ever done.." Sunset bite her lip and blinked away tears. "I asked the nurse to put you up for adoption.
She tried to talk me out of it, but I knew that I couldn't give you the life you deserved. I didn't want you to live in constant fear of wondering if your father was going to take you from me.
So I gave you....to her and that was the last time I saw you."

Sunset was trying not to cry, but it was getting harder for her. Heck it was getting hard for me too.

"After that I buried myself in my studies trying to numb the pain of letting you go. All my regret and anger turned me into such an awful pony. So when Celestia refused to give me what I wanted I ran away. I was so angry, and so tired I just wanted to get away from everything.
It got worse when I came into this world. Soon I decided if no one would help me then I would just help myself. Who knew that all my anger at the world and myself would turn me into a power raging demon."

I didn't get what she meant by that, but I let it go.

"Twilight told me that after I left Princess Celestia found out about you. She somehow found your father and got rid of him so he would never hurt you. Then she changed your name and gave you my last name. It was sort of out of respect for me I guess."

Wow....that's why she took such an interest in me. It's because she knew more about me than I knew about myself. That and she....honestly cared about me. I mean she had told off a few bullies when she caught them picking on me and she also insisted that I could stay in the castle and visit her whenever I was lonely at my house.

"After all this I really wish I had gone to her in the first place. I was so stupid for letting you go! I wish that I went back to Equestria to look for you! But I was worried that you had started a new life and I just didn't want to ruin it. But I know now that I should have gone after you! I should have kept you! I-" Sunset was sobbing before she could even finish.

I rose from the couch I was sitting on and sat down next to Sunset. I hugged her and ran my hand through her hair.
She pulled me into her arms and hugged me tightly.

"I'm sorry, baby. I'm sorry I let you down." She sobbed.

"No. You didn't let me down, Sunset. You did what you thought was right. I understand."

"But I should have been there for you. I've missed so much." She whimpered.

Tears ran down my face as I pulled back and looked into her cyan eyes.

"You're here now. And so am I. We'll figure this out."

We sat there for a second as Sunset looked into my eyes then took a deep breath and sighed.

"Um...I don't mean to interrupt." A soft voice said breaking the silence.

We both looked in the kitchen door and saw Fluttershy standing there awkwardly.
She smiled shyly.

Sunset quickly wiped her tears.

"It's okay, Fluttershy. What's up?" She said.

"Well, I just wanted to ask if you still plan on coming with us to go see Rarity."

Sunset groaned

"Oh I completely forgot!"

"It's fine if we don't go. I'm sure she would understand." She said softly.

Sunset looked at me.

"Yeah we should go." I insisted. "I'm okay."

"Ok." Sunset said.

Fluttershy looked at me and smiled.

"You must be Solstice." She said.

I nodded.

"I'm so glad your here. Sunset just couldn't wait for you to come! She loves you so much Solstice. I can tell she does every time she talks about you."

Sunset blushed a little as she looked at me.
I smiled. It was nice to know that someone was proud of me and loved me so much that they actually talked about me to other people.

"Hey Sunset! Let's go!" Rainbow said. "You can mother daughter bond at Rarity's place too you know!"

"Rainbow Dash!" Fluttershy scolded.

"What?" She asked trying to sound innocent.

"This is serious. They haven't been together for years. Let them have their space."

"Alright alright. Geez." Rainbow sighed.

"Well if we're ready to go then let's go." Sunset said.

Twilight emerged from Rainbow's room and looked at me.

"Are you sure you want to go, Solstice?" She asked.

"Yes, Twilight." I said.

"Off we go then!" Rainbow said and she ran out the door.
Sunset rolled her eyes as she looked over her shoulder at me.

"Want to ride with me?" She asked.

I nodded eagerly. "Definitely!"

She chuckled as we walked out the door following an impatient Rainbow Dash who had taken Twilight's shoes and Twilight who was running after her barefoot demanding that Rainbow give them back.

Author's Note:

If your wondering when this takes place it's a few years after they graduate, but Sunset is a young adult. And Solstice is in her mid teens. She's graduating early in Equestria because she's so dedicated to her studies just like her mother so she's been able to skip a few grades.