• Published 12th Dec 2015
  • 3,599 Views, 89 Comments

Daughter of the Phoenix - Solstice Shimmer



What if the pony you thought you were turned out to be a lie?

  • ...
12
 89
 3,599

Completing a Task

I snapped out of my second sight and returned to the cave I was in.
Well that's just great! Now Sunset is in Equestria!
What was I going to do? With those two in Equestria how in the world was I going to hide?
Somehow I will, I can't let them find me. If they do...no I can't think of that.

I turned into my mist form as quickly as I could and zoomed out of the cave. I flew through the air looking for some place to hide. There were a number of places I could go to in Equestria, but I wanted to stay close here for a bit. Then I could easily gather intel and know when it would be a good time to run.

I flew for some time, searching madly through the forest. Hopefully I could find something, anything.
Then I came across a strange castle. It was mostly a ruin, but it seemed a bit cleaner than a ruin would be. As I examined it I realized it was Princess Celestia and Luna’s old castle.

Hmm. I flew into the castle, curious whether it may be a good place to hide or not. I changed into my pony form as I entered the main hall.
The hall was rather beautiful for being as old as it was.
This was too exposed though, I should find a safer place to stay. I trotted through the castle, looking for a secret room or someplace to hide in.

After some looking I found a secret room that was filled with old books and a large carpet that had some old pillows on it and a blanket. It seemed to be a resting area of a sort.
As I tried to settle down I felt a presence enter the room. I looked around madly, charging my magic defensively.
A dark mist entered the room and it formed into a pony.

I sighed when I saw it was just Raven. She looked practically the same as a pony, she even was still wearing her black cloak.
Her dark green eyes seemed to be gleaming with approval as she walked towards me.

“Well, Solstice. I am rather impressed. You have taken this new power much better than I expected.” Her soft voice purred.

I puffed my chest out a little with pride.
“Well of course I did. No magic is too much for me.”

Raven laughed musically.
“Do not get too cocky now, sweet girl. There is magic in this world that even you cannot control.”

I scoffed. “I would like to see that!”

Raven tossed her dark blood red mane over her shoulder as she chuckled again.
“As would I.”

Raven took some books with her magic and overlooked them briefly.
“What do you wish to do?” She asked.

“Run. We need to keep moving. If we stay here too long they will probably find us.” I said.

Raven kept her eyes on the books as she spoke to me.
“Where shall we go?”

I shrugged.
“We can't go to Canterlot. Princess Celestia knows me too well so she would probably be able to detect my magic. We could just keep exploring the Everfree forest, but I'm pretty sure Twilight could find me. No we need to go farther.”

Raven looked up at me.
“Shall I make a suggestion?”

I gave her a hard look.
“Fine.”

“Why do we not go to Saddle Arabia for a bit?” She asked.

I shook my head.
“Princess Celestia told me some time ago that Princess Luna was there on Royal business. I don't want to risk her possibly finding me.”

Raven shrugged.
“Then why not just stay by the border? I know an old house we could hide out in for a time.”

I glared at her.
“I am not going to stay in some dirty shack.”

Raven’s eyes seemed to harden on me. She breathed slowly as if she was controlling herself. Then she slowly smiled.

“Maybe you are ready.” Her voice sounded so familiar when she said that, but I couldn't quite put my hoof on it.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

She put down the book then walked slowly around me.
“The gifts of a spirit comes at a price like anything in this world, so there are some things you must know. One thing is that there are tasks you must do in order to keep your magic at full power. It is, let us call it the “duty” of being a spirit.
One is haunting an area, which not many choose to do, but it can be enjoyable if you do it right. Another is being able to create nightmares, which is my personal favorite.” She chuckled lightly.

Then why the crap did she supposedly “keep nightmares away from me” if she enjoyed giving them so much?

“The last thing that a spirit does and is, unfortunately required to do every once in a while is a bit...oh how shall I put it?” She thought for a second. “A bit disturbing.”

I raised an eyebrow.
“Disturbing how?”

She waved her hoof dismissively.
“No need to worry about it now. We’ll get you through the first parts of harnessing your spirit magic, then the last task shall be revealed.”

I nodded.
“And what shall happen once these tasks are completed?” I asked.

Raven smiled.
“You will be sure to keep this power I have given to you. Then you can surely gain revenge on Sunset and possibly even more who have done you wrong.”

“But, I already have done that. I've run away. Isn't that enough?”

Raven laughed her musical laugh. She was confusing me so.
“Oh, Solstice. You cannot be so soft. This is surely not all you wish to do? Do you not want more? Do you not wish to actually inflict pain on the one who started it all?”

I shrugged.
“Um….Why would I want to do that?”

Raven walked towards me keeping her emerald eyes locked on my own.
“Would it not give you so much pleasure to know that the one pony that hurt you more than any other was at your mercy? Wouldn't it be satisfying to know that she would be in soo much more pain than you ever were? That she would finally know how it felt to be hurt as much as you were?”

Hmm. I hadn't thought of this that much. All I had honestly planned for was to keep running my whole life and just avoid anypony.
But she did have a point, if I did confront them then I wouldn't have to hide at all. That actually sounds like a better plan honestly.

“Yes. It definitely would be a pleasure to see her in pain. To make her pay for all she's done to me.” I snarled softly.

Raven smiled as she turned to her mist form.
“Come. Let us begin, shall we?”

I looked up at her then leaned my head towards the window.

“Um, it's broad daylight outside soo... much better chance of being seen.” I said in a slightly sarcastic tone.

“That is why we go to where it is night.” She said.

I had no idea what she meant, but I just shrugged and turned into my other form as well.

“Where are we headed?” I asked.

“Oh, you'll see.” Raven said then slowly pushed her magic out of her, wrapping it around us both.

She teleported us to a dark alley. It was a bit cold from new fallen snow in this area. I shifted to my pony form and shivered as I examined my surroundings.
I stepped out of the alley and saw that we were in a dark little town. The houses were broken down, very dirty and some of their roofs were falling in, but by the sounds of it ponies were living in them.

I looked up and saw that in the distance was a more light part of town. It seemed to be in much better shape than this one. Must be where the rich folk live. As for in the part we were in it was depressed and lonely. All you heard was the sound of crickets, babies crying, and muffled screams in a few of the houses.

Raven tapped my shoulder then beckoned at me to follow her. So I turned to mist again and followed her.
She led me to the very edge of the town and entered a window on the top floor of a small house. I followed her then turned into a pony.
She put her hoof to her lips and pointed to something.

I looked to where she was pointing and saw that it was a young sleeping filly.
Her room was soo small, it was honestly more like a closet than a room, but this filly made do. Her bed took up most of the space, but she had enough floor to keep a little side table. She had a few Wonderbolt posters on her wall and one of Princess Twilight that was over her bed.

I grimced a little when I saw her face on the poster. She looked so noble and majestic, the kindness in her eyes seemed to be peering right at me. I mentally replaced the kindness with anger and I glared at the poster.

Don't look at me like that. It's your fault.” I thought as if the poster were real and it could hear my thoughts.

Raven put her lips to my ear and whispered softly.
“Do you see this filly?”

“Yeah.” Did she think I was stupid or something? Of course I saw the filly.

“I want you to give her a nightmare.”

I froze. Give this little filly a nightmare? I couldn't do that!

“Don't be so weak, Solstice.” Raven softly growled. “I can explain the simple spell. Just know time is of the essense.”

I looked over my shoulder and glared at her.
“What if I refuse?”

Her emerald eyes glowed sending a shiver up my spine.
“You wouldn't dare.”

I lowered my ears a bit in submission to her then slowly walked towards the filly’s bed.

She was sleeping soundly, her magenta mane sticking in all directions as she cuddled under her quilt. I gazed down at her with a small smile on my face. She was so cute, so innocent…..how could I do something like this to her?
I heard a soft warning behind me so I quickly cast the spell that sent me into the dream world.

It was so bright. I shook my mane as I tried to get the feel of this strange new magic off of me. I heard a tiny laugh then I saw the filly running through a field of wild flowers, giggling as she did so.
I smiled as I watched her play. She was so happy in this world it made me pity her. She had so much in this dream unlike the real world. If only there was some way this poor filly could have as much in reality than to go to a dream to find happiness.

Her bright eyes looked away from the bunny she was chasing and met mine. She giggled and started to run to me.
Oh crap. What was I going to do?
I madly tried to get out of the dream, but something was keeping me in here, forcing me to continue what I was meant to do.

I took one last look at the sweet girl then sighed in defeat.

“I'm sorry, little one.” I whispered then summoned a dragon to appear.

The filly saw the animal and fear filled her eyes. She galloped away from it as quickly as she could. The dragon roaring a mighty roar as it flew in air and landed in her path, forcing her to stop.
She shrieked in fear and tried to run the other way, but it blocked her with its tail.

The dragon stared at her with it horrible eyes then roared again as it breathed fire around her.
She screamed as she tried to avoid the flames, but it was useless. The flames reached her and started burning her. She screamed even louder as the flames ate at her tiny hooves and beautiful mane.

The dragon swished its tail sending the poor filly flying through the air. She smashed into a tree and crumpled to the ground in a helpless little pile.
The dragon roared at it flew into the air once again, looking as if it was going to breathe fire on her again.

That's when Raven pulled me out of the dream leaving me sitting on the floor, hyperventilating as I tried to get the horrible events out of my head.
I looked at the filly and saw her squirming in her bed, moaning softly. She clutched her stuffed bear harder and harder as the dream got worse.

“Let's go.” Raven said in a dead voice as she changed form and flew out the window.

I got up to follow her, but a feeling of guilt built up in me as I was about to change my form.
I looked back at the filly who was now crying in her sleep.

I have to do something. I have to!

I quickly looked out the window seeing if I could see Raven. When I didn't see her I used my second sight to see where she was. Ok. She's headed back to the Everfree forest. She didn't teleport so that'll give me more time! I should have a few minutes. That's all it'll take!

I charged my magic and entered the filly’s dream again as quickly as I could.

She was now on the ground, bleeding and burned from being beat mercilessly. She was crying as she lifted her head a little looking up at the beast.
Anger filled in me as I teleported and stood between her and the dragon.

He tried to push me out of the way, but I shot him with a laser beam of magic. He roared in pain as he swiped his claw at the ground, in an attempt to hit me.
I just dodged his claw then used a spell to make him disappear as I had made him appear.

I looked over my shoulder at the filly then ran to her side.
She lifted her head weakly as she looked at me with those sweet eyes.

“You saved me.” She whispered.

I wrapped her in my magic and healed her wounds. It was all a dream anyway, it wasn't like actual wounds so the spells were easy.

She wrapped her hooves around my neck and gave me an unexpected hug.

“Awe you my big sister?” She asked in a sweet little voice. “Mama say that even though you died you would come back when I needed you.”

My heart broke for her when she asked me this. Poor girl thinks I'm her sister……
All I could do was force a smile and nod.

“Yes, sweetie. I am.”

She ran her hoof through my golden mane and smiled.
“You’re weally pwetty sissy. I wish you could come back.”

I held back tears as I bit my lip and nodded again.
“Me too. But you need to rest now, okay?”

She grimced at held me tighter.
“Wa if the dragon comes back?”

I hesitantly wrapped my hoof around her and held her in a comforting way.
“Don't worry. I won't let him come back.”

She looked up at me with those sweet little eyes.
“Pwomise?”

I smiled and made the beautiful field return to all its glory, producing a thousand butterflies to comfort her. She smiled brightly as she admired the creatures surrounding us.

“Promise.” I whispered then left her dream.

I quickly teleported back to the old castle and breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that Raven wasn't back yet.
I knew that she would definitely not aproove of what I just did. But I couldn't just leave her in the state she was in! I may not be a softie, but I'm not cruel either.

What in the world would she say if she found out? No. She won't find out! What am I so worried about?
It's not like she's going to kill me for taking away a nightmare she told me to give right? Right?
I need to take my mind off this!

Before I could move or do anything Raven appeared.
I tried to act cool, but I was too surprised by her sudden apperence so my guilt was still slapped on my face.

She gave me a hard look as she shook her head.

“Solstice. You will never succeed if you keep acting soft.” She said in a cool voice.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

Raven glared at me even harder, making me cringe in fear.

“Sweet girl, don't play stupid with me. As I said before, I know you all to well.”

I glared back at her.
“So what? You gonna take your magic back now and tell me to get the hell out of here?”

“If you rather be Sunset’s pathetic toy then yes.” She cooed.

“I would never!!” I yelled.

“If you give up then you will.”

“I won't!!”

Raven stood a bit taller as she continued to speak.
“Then we shall try this again. But next time I will keep better watch of you. You shall not leave my sight. Understood?”

“Fine whatever!” I kicked at the wall out of frustration then stormed off.

All my anger and frustration came out as I ran down the hallways trying to blow off some steam.

I would not let Sunset dare control me or Twilight!! That's probably why I got soft back there! It was because of that stupid poster! It reminded me of that stupid little wrench! Well, that's not going to happen again.
Oh no. I will bring the most horrible nightmares I can then I shall gain the full power of this magic and I will have revenge.

As Celestia as my witness I shall have revenge.

Author's Note:

Sorry that it's taken a bit for this chapter:twilightblush:
I hope you enjoyed it!
❤️ my faithful readers! I do this for you!:pinkiehappy: