• Published 12th Dec 2015
  • 3,598 Views, 89 Comments

Daughter of the Phoenix - Solstice Shimmer



What if the pony you thought you were turned out to be a lie?

  • ...
12
 89
 3,598

Just Another Day

RING!!! RING!!! RING!!!! RING!!!



I snapped my head up as my annoying alarm clock awakened me. It had startled me pretty badly so my heart felt like it was thumping a little. I groaned in annoyance as I grabbed the clock with my magic and threw it across the room. When I heard the satisfying sound of it hitting the wall and breaking I slammed my face back in my pillow and sighed.
I really didn't want to get out of bed, but there was school today unfortunately. Knowing I had not much of a choice I reluctantly dragged myself out of bed and walked over to my dresser. I levitated my hairbrush off it and started brushing my mane as I glanced at myself in the mirror to see how horrifying I looked.
My cyan eyes looked duller than they should be which was probably from depravation of sleep and my dark golden blonde mane looked tangled and messy. The light pink highlights I had dyed about a year ago were now just on the tips of my mane so I looked like I had just dipped it in pink paint and left it to dry. I hated it, but my friends insisted that it looked good so I let it be.

Once my mane seemed presentable enough to be seen in public I trotted down the stairs of my house and grabbed my saddle bag from the large piles of books I had been reading earlier.
I looked over my living room a bit, lost in thought. My parents were never really home and I mostly had the house to myself which I didn't mind as much now since I'm used to it, but it seems kind of odd for a pony my age to be left alone so much.
Oh well. It doesn't matter. I had my friends to keep me company and they were as good as any family. Who knows maybe even better.
A huge grandfather clock struck and started chiming snapping me out of my thoughts and bringing me back to reality.
Oh crap!! It's already 8:00 a.m?!!
I ran out of my house as quickly as possible and ran off to school. Thankfully I only lived about a block away, but I still didn't want to risk being late.

It was barley even 8:23 when I finally made it to The School for Gifted Unicorns got into my classroom and screeched to a stop. I was tired and out of breath, but I had made it and had two minutes to spare!
The professed glared at me, obviously annoyed by my entrance. I didn't care though. This was my last year here anyway, might as well get away with what I can.
I sat at my desk next to Cookie Dough and took out all my textbooks from my saddle bag.
Cookie Dough smiled at me and giggled.

"Did you seriously read all of those?" She asked.

I simply nodded in response to her, not really wanting to talk.

"You know that there's more to life then studying right?" She asked.

I pulled out a piece of parchment and a quill from my bag then glanced at her from the corner of my eye.
She knew I wasn't in the mood for her chatter, but she just kept on going.

"Come on Solstice! You need to take a break for once in your life! I mean look at me! I never read more than I have to and I'm not failing at life."

I smirked softly and pulled out a test she had thrown away the other day that I had grabbed just knowing that I would need it for evidence one day.

"You sure about that Cookie?" I asked.

Her dark eyes saw the grade on the paper and she glared at me.

I chuckled and started to scribble down notes as the professor starting droning on about multiple magical theories I had already read about but still wrote anyway just to be respectful and also so I wouldn't drop dead asleep on my desk like I really wanted to.
Minutes went by so slowly as he continued his boring lecture. I kept on writing almost every word he said, but soon I lost attention in the lesson and let my mind wander.

It was a cloudy day in Canterlot which added some sort of dullness to my mood. Not that I ever really needed help with stuff like that, I'm normally always a bit irritable.
Heck, I'm pretty sure it's a genetic thing. Not that I would honestly know since my so called parents are never home and they try to avoid me as much as possible. I remember when I was a filly and the minute I was of age they sent me here to Celestia's school and abandoned me here only visiting once a year to pay for my boarding and give me a sum of money to use for myself.
Princess Celestia had once found me crying in one of my classrooms because I was so confused why my parents hated me so much. It was really embarrassing, but she was very kind to me. She had wiped my tears and told me if I ever needed somepony to talk to she would be there for me. Ever since then we've been close. I wouldn't call us friends though. She's much too regal for that.
That's how I came to know Princess Twilight Sparkle, of course she wasn't a Princess yet so we had more in common then we do now.
We still talk every once in a while, but with her duties becoming more and more strenuous she and I saw less of each other. I tried to not let it bother me, but when my other unicorn friends would ignore me then it bummed me out to not have a friend who actually cared.
Which made me wonder.....why did Princess Celestia care about me when I was a filly? I mean I was just like anyone of her students wasn't I? I didn't have great power like Twilight did nor was I related to her. Hmmmm. I don't know. Maybe I was over thinking it. I tend to do that a lot. Stupid me.

"Solstice Shimmer!" My professor yelled at me.

I withdrew from my thoughts and looked at him.

"Yes, Professor?" I asked.

"The Princess wishes to see you in her office." He said.

Everypony in the classroom stared in my direction and spoke to each other in hushed whispers.
I ignored their gossip and looked back at the professor.

"Princess Celestia wishes to speak with me, sir?"

He shook his head.
"No. Princess Twlight Sparkle."

Huh. How ironic.
I rose from my desk and grabbed my saddle bag. Without another word I walked out of the classroom and headed down the hall towards Princess Celestia's office.

Author's Note:

Hope you enjoyed my first chapter! It's going to get better as we continue. I promise