• Published 5th Dec 2015
  • 734 Views, 9 Comments

Unfinished Business - 1Bit



Twilight may be back home, but her mind is not at ease...

  • ...
0
 9
 734

Chapter 4 - Downtown

Manehattan's streets were nothing like what Twilight could have possibly ever imagined. Sweat visibly dripped from every pour on her face with every step she took further into the city centre, the fear of death feeling very real in her mind. The more of Manehattan they trekked through, the more it became difficult to see what lay in front of them. The city was shrouded in smoke and the muggy air latched onto every surface and damp spots showered every wall and sidewalk. Starlight stuck to Twilight like glue and her face was contorted with horror at what she saw. Barely a word was said between the two as they witnessed ponies in large groups staring at them; the dim light from street lamps shone upon their various tattoos and scars. They even saw ponies being visibly tormented or abused in the streets and yet nopony batted an eyelid in their direction. Manehattan's ponies were known for often being cold, but never anything like this.

Twilight's mind was reeling with panic and it wasn't long before every trot became a canter, every canter became a gallop. The smog cover made it hard to distinguish any road signs or directions towards the fashion district; the only location imaginable for Rarity to be in this mess of a city. Twilight solemnly gazed up at the billboards and advertisements they passed by. A theatre showing My Fair Filly came into view. However, the front of the building was missing an F and the two L's, as well as having all manner of foul words spray-painted over the once grand entrance. Right next to it, a small corner shop lay in ruins with papers littering the sidewalk in front of it as well as the shutter digging deep into the wooden framing of the stall. Twilight could barely contain her tears.

However, Starlight snapped her head back to reality, pointing out a single signpost up ahead which clearly spelt out towards their destination; finally.

"I don't mean to rush you Twilight, but it would be great if we could hurry things along? This city..." Starlight shivered, cutting off mid-sentence.

"I know what you mean." Twilight agreed. Her head flicked to the left and right before the duo headed directly down towards the fashion district. The scenery cleared ever so slightly as the district came into view, with vandalism declining and more colour splattered on the buildings. But it was all still entombed in the eternal smog that smothered the landscape. "If my assumptions are correct, we'll be looking for some form of clothing factory, similar to what Sweet Apple Acres has become. I think that's the best chance we have at finding Rarity."

"Twilight? Do you mean like-" Her extended hoof pointed towards a long line of ponies in dingy uniforms, all of which looked like they had seen death itself and had every inch of their soul sucked out of them. Rows upon rows of these ponies, all funnelling into a large, brick red building down the street. "-that?"

The two ponies exchanged glances before beginning their journey down the line. The building only became more intimidating as it dominated more of their vision. Despite all the lines, it was surprisingly easy to gain access to the factory. Nopony blinked an eye as they cut to the front of the line and slid through the rusting steel doors. Upon entry, they found their senses being invaded by the stink of sweat and burning machinery, all of which being completely nauseating and Twilight retched multiple times before being able to even think.

All Twilight and Starlight could hear was the low hum of sewing machines furiously working across hundreds of workstations, each looking to be rotting with decay; despite the factory's constant use, it was clear there was no thought being put into health, safety or care, something Twilight struggled to comprehend. Each workstation was also occupied by one or two ponies, although, their identity would be difficult to work out. Everypony wore the same uniform, had the same dirt and sweat marks, did the same job creating the same work outfits.

"This is ridiculous!" Twilight's sudden outburst caught the attention of a few ponies, but they swiftly returned to their work with their heads right down and focusing on the machines. "How are we supposed to find Rarity in all of this?" She turned to Starlight seeking an answer, but the unicorn was already gone, trotting down each row of workstations asking each pony in turn about Rarity. Twilight rolled her eyes and sighed. "Well...seems like it's our best shot for now..."