• Published 2nd Dec 2015
  • 631 Views, 15 Comments

Gathering Pieces - Random_User



Teams across Equestria begin the search for the framents of Princess Amore in hopes that she can be restored. One group of adventures finds more than what they were searching for, when they discover a fragment hidden within the Everfree Forest.

  • ...
6
 15
 631

Friendly Gatherings

Pyrite looked up from his coloring book. “Spike, could you pass me a green…?” He paused and gave a full yawn.

“Whoa!” Flurry leaned forward and stared into Pyrite’s open mouth. “Your teeth are cool!”

After closing his mouth, Pyrite grinned. “Thanks.”

Bonsmara approached the foal sized table and knelt down. “Getting tired little one?”

Pyrite shook his head. “Not too much.”

“It is getting close to your bedtime.” Bonsmara rubbed Pyrite’s back using gentle circles of her hand.
“Perhaps we should head home.”

Pyrite’s ears folded down. “Can we stay a little longer, please? We haven’t gotten to play with Spike in a while, and Flurry will be leaving tomorrow.”

“I’ll come back, or you can come visit me.” Flurry grinned. “If I need to, I can have Mom write a royal invitation. That way you have to come.”

“Momma.” Pyrite looked up at Bonsmara. “You can fix anything, right?”

Bonsmara scratched one of Pyrite's ears. “Not quite, but I try to do what I can. Is something wrong?”

“Flurry’s thinking too much like Cobalt does.”

Bonsmara looked to Flurry, who would not meet her eye. “Flurry, is there something I can help with?”

Not looking up from the table, Flurry shook her head.

“Don’t lie to Mommy, she gets cross when you do that,” Labra warned.

“I’m not lying,” Flurry said, her ears pinning back. “She can’t help with my problem.”

Bonsmara sat down cross-legged at the table. “I can try. Please tell me what is bothering you.”

“I want to ask Aunt Luna something.”

“Is it about the foal?”

Flurry nodded. “It’s not important, so I shouldn’t ask.”

“If it is bothering you enough for Pyrite to pick up on it then it has significance to you.”

“Flurry, you’re going to turn into Twilight, if you keep worrying about stuff,” Spike teased.

Flurry gave Spike a look. “I’m not that bad.”

“Ask Luna, whatever it is.” Bonsmara patted Flurry on the shoulder. “I am sure she will answer you.”

“What if she gets upset?”

“If you ask in a polite way, she will respond in kind.” Bonsmara nodded toward where Luna was sitting and talking with Mosaic and Freight. “She seems in good spirits. Now would be a good time to ask.”

Flurry got up from her seat. “Thanks, Miss Bonsmara.” She took a calming breath while touching her chest with a hoof. As she exhaled, she extended her foreleg. “I’ve got this.” She nodded to herself and walked away from the table.

“I wonder what is going through her mind to trouble her so,” Bonsmara said. She looked to Spike. “Do you have any ideas?”

“I’m not sure. Cadence said something has been bothering Flurry, but she couldn’t get out of her what it was. Cadance asked me to keep an ear out for any hints about what it might be. Pyrite, how did you-” Spike glanced around. “Where did he go?”

Bonsmara looked at where Pyrite had been sitting and shook her head. “For one that can be so rowdy, he is good at not being noticed when he wants.”

“He’s following Flurry!” Labra said. She pointed. “Look, he’s going under the table close to Daddy.”

Pyrite crawled into an unoccupied chair beside Fierce. He stood up in the chair, looked over its backrest, and watched Flurry make her way to Luna.

Bonsmara sighed. “My little boy, what are you up to now?”

*****

“Hello, Flurry,” Freight greeted, as Flurry made her way to the edge of the semicircle of mares with cautious, slow steps.

“I’m sorry to interrupt, but I would like to ask Aunt Luna something.”

“You seem to bear heavy thoughts.” Luna motioned for Flurry to come closer. “Ask of me what you will.”

Flurry reached out her hoof towards Luna. When her hoof was about to touch Luna’s coat, she stopped.

“There is no chance of harm to the foal or me from a mere touch.” Luna took Flurry’s hoof with hers and put it on her stomach. “There is nothing to feel as yet, but the foal grows.”

Flurry looked up at Luna with hopeful eyes. “Will the foal be an alicorn?”

“So that has been weighing on you.” Luna stroked Flurry’s mane. “I know not what my child will be. My previous foals have been of all three tribes. I did not think bearing an alicorn foal possible, till you came to us. We shall both have to wait and see as to this one.”

“I hope it is an alicorn.” Flurry stared at Luna’s belly. “That way I won’t-” Her ears folded back and she swallowed. She looked back up at Luna, put her ears up and put on a smile. “I’m so happy for you.”

With a subtle motion, Fierce gestured to Pyrite and caught his attention. Fierce gave a few quick gestures more and a nod.

Pyrite nodded in understanding and slid from the chair and under the table.

Bonsmara raised an eyebrow as she met eyes with Fierce.

Fierce grinned and shrugged.

Luna looked over Flurry’s shoulder and smiled. “You need not sneak to join us, young one. All are welcome.”

Mosaic looked down at Pyrite, who had paused at her side, and gave a slight start. “Pyrite, what are you doing?”

“Flurry’s been thinking too much like Cobalt.” Pyrite turned his head to Mosaic and asked, “Are the rules with her the same as with him?”

One of Flurry’s ears titled with curiosity. “What rules?” she asked.

“Whenever Cobalt thinks too much and gets sad, we’re supposed to give him a hug,” Pyrite explained. “You looked like he does sometimes, when we were coloring and when you were talking with Luna.” He lowered his belly closer to the floor and his ears folded back. “I’ll give you a hug, if it would make you feel better.”

Flurry sniffed and nodded.

Pyrite’s tail wagged, as he approached Flurry.

When he was close enough, Flurry hugged Pyrite to her, wrapped him in her wings, and nuzzled the top of his head. “Thank you.”

“He a delight to hold,” Luna said. “He retains his puppy fur and smell.”

Mosaic gave Flurry an understanding smile. “Being the only alicorn your age has to be tough.”

Flurry nodded.

“I’m glad you’re our age and our size,” Pyrite told her. “Your our princess.”

Flurry rested her check on Pyrite’s head. “Thank you.”

The sound of trotting hooves drew Flurry’s eyes.

“Flurry, are you okay?” Cadance asked, with concern in her eyes.

“She’s not feeling good,” Pyrite said. “I’m trying to make her feel better.”

“Honey, what’s wrong?” Cadance put a hoof on Flurry’s shoulder. “Are you sick?”

“She feels the weight of being the only one of our kind at her age,” Luna said. “She asked if I bear another alicorn.”

“So that’s what’s been eating at you.” Cadance kissed Flurry on her head and hugged her from the side. “You should have come talked to me. I remember what it was like growing up as the youngest alicorn. I could have helped.”

“You and Dad are busy taking care of the Empire’s real problems. It wasn’t important enough to bother you with.”

“You’re supposed to talk with your friends and family about things,” Pyrite told Flurry. “If you don’t talk to anyone, you can’t get help. Mama, Mosaic, and Twilight have been telling Labra and me that for a long time.”

Flurry giggled. “You’re right. Twilight would be very disappointed with me if I didn’t follow her lessons in friendship.”

“Are you lonely, being the only princess our size?” Pyrite asked.

“No, I have wonderful ponies around me all the time. But it’s different for me at school since I have to take lessons for all three tribes, and being a princess can make things tough for making new friends. Ponies try to get close for the wrong reasons or are scared of talking with me.”

Pyrite looked up into Flurry’s eyes. “I’m your friend, right?”

“Right.”

“So’s Labra, right?”

“Right.”

“Was it hard making friends with us?”

Flurry grinned. “Nope.”

Pyrite smiled back at her. “Then we have to find more creatures and ponies like us that like you for being you rather than worrying about you being a princess.”

“I think she is feeling better,” Fierce said. “You can let her go now.”

“I have him, Mister Fierce, not the other way around.” Flurry gave Pyrite a light squeeze. “He’s so sweet and cute I don’t want to let him go.”

“If I can’t keep Windless, you can’t keep Pyrite,” Luna stated.

Labra and Spike moved to stand at the edge of the semi-circle.

“What if we borrow him and Labra both for a little bit?” Spike offered. “We could have a sleepover.”

Flurry looked to Cadance.

“We’re in somepony’s home as guests. We would have to clear it with Twilight first.” Cadance booped Flurry on the nose. “Then, you would have to get permission from Mister Fierce and Miss Bonsmara to have Labra and Pyrite over.”

“We’ve got this,” Spike assured Flurry. “Come on you guys, let’s go talk with Twilight!”

Fierce shook his head as the young foursome headed towards Twilight. “You sure you want to have those four together? Our two are about all Bonsmara and I can manage.”

“Spike is an adult, despite his size,” Cadance reminded Fierce. “Flurry is mature for her age, and compared to raising an alicorn foal that can fly and use magic instinctively your pups will be no trouble.”

“As fair warning, Pyrite does not sleep for long at a stretch unless he is in a pony pile.”

Cadance tilted her head. “Pony pile?”

*****

Windless sighed and whispered to himself, “You won’t let me sleep will you?”

He glanced over the edge of the couch, where Care and Cobalt were sleeping on the floor.

“They, on the other hoof, look like they could sleep through a hurricane.”

Without making noise, Windless got up from the couch and into the kitchen. He glanced at the clock. “It’s about time for everypony to get up.” He looked around the kitchen and grinned. “If I can’t sleep, at lease I can be productive.”

Windless put on a pot of coffee and gathered the ingredients to fix breakfast. He searched the drawers and grumbled, “Where’s the whisk?”

“Second drawer on the left from the sink,” Mosaic whispered from the kitchen door.

Windless started at her voice. “Thanks. You’re quiet.”

“You learn how to be quiet when you’re raising foals.”

“I’m sorry I woke you up.”

Mosaic tapped the side of her nose with a hoof.

“You didn’t, the coffee brewing did.”

“All the same, I’m sorry.”

“No one should apologize for making coffee, unless it’s bad coffee.”

Windless grinned. “I hope it’s up to your standards. We’ll have to wait to find out.”

“I take it you couldn’t sleep?”

Windless shook his head. “I thought I would do something productive, since I was awake.”

“ You should hold off on starting on cooking or breakfast will be cold by the time they get here.”

Windless deflated a little.

“True.”

Mosaic looked over the items that he had gotten out.

“We can have everything out and ready to go while we wait for our coffee though.”

Windless perked back up.

“That sounds good,” he told her.

Freight and Windless pulled what they needed together and did a few preparatory tasks. They finished as the coffee finished perking.

“How do you take your coffee?” Windless asked.

“We’re not having coffee right this moment.”

“Why not?”

“I think another reason I woke up is that some part of me could tell somepony needed help.”

“I’m okay. My mind won’t shut down is all that’s going on.”

“After everything that happened last night, I can understand that.” She held out her forelegs. “Come here.”

“Don’t take this the wrong way, but how can somepony with the nickname ‘Foremare’ be so warm and fuzzy?” Windless asked her.

“I’m like this most of the time. The ‘Foremare’ is a persona I put on at work to keep ponies motivated.”

“That figures. You’re the one that told Labra and Pyrite to hug anyone who was having a rough time.”

Mosaic booped Windless on the nose.

“Giving hugs helps ponies too,” she told him.

He hesitated, as he reached up. “Can I ask a favor?”

“Sure. What is it?”

“Can I give you a wing hug?”

“Of course, to be honest, I’ve been curious as to what one feels like.”

She gave an appreciative hum, after Windless wrapped her in his wings.

“Very nice, now I see what all the fuss is about.”

“Thank you for sharing Cobalt with us, for having us here, for introducing us to the pups, for letting Care and Cobalt give things between them a try.”

Windless looked down from her eyes.

“My mind’s still racing, but being here and you talking has made me feel so much better about going to the University.”

Mosaic kissed Windless’ forehead.

“I should be the one thanking you. You and Care kept my son from losing himself. This is the least my husband and I can do. You are welcome here any time. I think of you like a son of my own.”

“Which is a good thing, or else your husband might think that yet another member of our family is making a move on you,” Starless teased as he walked into the kitchen. “You two are up early.”

Mosaic let go of Windless as he let go of her and folded his wings to his sides.

“When he started the coffee, the smell woke me up,” Mosaic said. “Since he couldn’t sleep, I thought he needed a little T.L.C. and a hug.”

Starless walked over and patted Windless on the shoulder.

“You okay, Son?”

“I’m okay. Miss Mosaic helped me a lot.”

“You two sit down. I’ll get the coffee ready.” After asking Mosaic how she took hers, Starless poured and prepared three cups of coffee. “I noticed a certain pair cuddled up on the floor again,” he said as he put Mosaic’s and Windless’ cups in front of them.

Windless held up a hoof.

“That’s my fault. Cobalt started muttering things and fidgeting in his sleep. When he bunched his blanket into a ball and held it against his chest, I had to do something. I went to his room to get the Care plushie and Care caught me.”

Starless put the coffee on the table. “She asked you what you were doing, you answered, and she ended up with Cobalt on the floor again.”

Windless nodded. “That’s it in a nutshell.”

“Should we help them set a date for the wedding or should we encourage them to elope?” Starless asked Mosaic.

“It’s a bit early to think something like that,” Mosaic said. After taking a sip from her cup, she praised, “Good coffee.”

Windless drew himself up in an exaggerated show of pride. “Thank you.”

“You’re not going to get another hug out of her by puffing up like that,” Starless teased.

“You’re just jealous that I got a hug from her.”

“Don’t sass your father,” Mosaic scolded.

Windless ducked his head in mock shame. “Yes, ma’am.” Windless looked up and grinned at her. “You said that just like Mom! Is there some secret school that all moms go to learn that kind of stuff?”

“I wasn’t invited to it, if there is one. I think it comes with the territory.” Mosaic pointed a hoof at Starless, causing him to freeze. “Before you sit down,” she walked around the table and gave Starless a hug, “thanks for the coffee.”

Starless chuckled. “You’re welcome,” he told her and gave her a one foreleg hug.

Windless shook his head. “Come on, Dad. I gave her a better hug than that.”

Freight walked into the kitchen, took in the scene, and shook her head.

“Give her a real hug, Starless. Field was kind enough to let me hug him when I was feeling blue, you can give her a thank you hug.”

She sat down at the table across from Windless. “Then, if I could have whatever coffee is left I would appreciate it.”

“Yes, ma’am, Captain,” he said with a laugh. Starless hugged Mosaic with both forelegs. “Thank you for letting us stay here.”

“You’re all welcome here whenever you like,” Mosaic said.

The sound of the front door’s lock being worked and then the door opening caused everyone to pause and look toward the kitchen doorway.

“Hello?” Stone poked his head around the kitchen door’s frame. “Good morning everpony.” He tilted his head at Mosaic. “Do I want to know why you two are hugging like that?”

“He was giving me a thank you hug for letting them stay the night and I was giving him a hug for finishing the coffee for us is all.” Mosaic let Starless go. “Speaking of staying the night, did Grayson and Zecora head back already?”

“They informed us that if we didn’t visit for breakfast you would come and drag us out of the Everfree by our tails.” Grayson made his way around Stone and into the kitchen. “Hello, everypony.”

“Good morning,” Freight and Starless replied.

“I didn’t realize how big you were, when we at the castle,” Windless said looking up to Grayson in awe. “You’re huge.”

“I’m not that big, by griffin standards.”

Zecora said and stepped into the kitchen. “Griffins judge looks most often by size. Most would consider him quite the prize.”

Puca, who had joined Stone in the doorway, giggled. “Why are you so excited, Windless?”

“I realized that I will have had breakfast with all the heroes of the Nightmare Invasion, in the house of two of the hero’s, during this trip!”

Zecora smiled at Windless and shook her head. “I am no hero. What I contributed was all but zero.”

“You helped unlock Cobalt’s talent!” Cobalt pointed out. “Without you helping him, Mom and the others may not have found the Nightmares in time.”

“Speaking of Cobalt, where is he?” Grayson asked. “It seems odd he wouldn’t be here with all of you up.”

“He’s in the den cuddled up with Care on the floor,” Windless said. “We’re secondary compared to her.”

Puca’s wings hummed with fast, light flutters. “They’re on the floor again?!”

Grayson snorted. “Poor guy never had a chance did he?”

Zecora bumped shoulders with Grayson. “This I would like to see. I wonder if Cobalt is as cute with Care as Grayson is with me.”

Grayson puffed up in indignation. “I won’t deny you are my tender spot, but I am not cute!”

“I remember hearing about someone wearing a bow around his tail for days to not hurt a certain somepony’s feelings,” Mosaic teased. “When you wore the same ribbon during the celebration, that was precious.”

Grayson gave Mosaic an unamused look. “That was a unique prolonged moment of weakness due to my appreciation for those skilled in the healer’s craft.”

Zecora bumped her shoulder against Grayson’s again. “Put your feline pride aside. You have nothing to hide. We all have seen you and the pups play. You can be cute, no matter what you say.”

Puca walked up to Grayson and took his talon with a hoof. “Come on. You know you want to see too.”

Grayson muttered under his breath about his wounded dignity and allowed Puca to lead him, Stone, and Zecora out of the kitchen.

A moment later, Field walked into the kitchen looking confused. “Why is there a crowd gathered at the den doorway?”

“They are looking at Care and Cobalt, who are on the floor asleep again,” Freight said. She got up from her seat and gave Field a hug. “Good morning.”

Field looked down at her, his ears at odd angles. “Good morning to you too, though, I don’t think you’re awake yet. Your husband is over there.”

Freight told Field, “Your wife hugged my husband good morning, so I get to hug hers.”

“I guess that’s fair,” Field said.

“Hug her back,” Starless said. “If you don’t give a proper hug back, ponies around here will hold it against you.”

“Mom, you have to give him a wing hug,” Windless said. “I gave Miss Mosaic one this morning, so give one to Mister Field to make things even.”

Freight glanced at Starless.

Starless gave her a teasing smiled. “You slept with him already. A wing hug isn’t a big deal compared to that.”

Freight snorted with good humor. “You’re horrible.”

“You don’t have to give me a wing hug, if you don’t feel comfortable about it,” Field said. “This is nice enough as it is.”

“Lift your forelegs,” Freight commanded.

After Field complied, Freight wrapped her forelegs and wings around Field. “Yep, you’re a bigger version of Cobalt.”

“Quit standing there looking shocked,” Mosaic said. “Give her a good hug back.”

Field hugged Freight just as Grayson, Stone, Puca and Zecora returned.

“So you are forming a herd,” Stone teased.

“This is the first I have heard your families were considering a herd,” Zecora said, looking at the hugging pair.

“We’re not!” Field said. “This isn’t what it looks like!”

“Looks like you’re hugging a mare, who’s not your wife, with her husband and your wife sitting and having coffee in the same room,” Grayson ribbed.

Field sighed. “I can’t talk myself out of this one am I?”

“Nope, so don’t try. It would just make things worse.” Freight let go of Field and turned to Grayson. “I am glad you two took up their offer to stay the night and come over. I didn’t know if we would see you again.”

Zecora smiled. “The Everfree may be our home, but at night it is no place to roam. It is good to see you. I am sure you have much to tell.”

“Good morning everypony,” Cobalt said, as he and Care entered the kitchen. “Sorry about sleeping in.”

Zecora told Cobalt, “From where we stood at the door, you two looked cozy on the floor.”

“We never finished our negotiations on snuggling did we?” Starless said, grinning over his coffee. “While we help get breakfast ready strikes me as a good time to address that.”

Grayson chucked. “I wasn’t expecting breakfast theater. This should be good.”

*****

Windless all but pranced down the street, just ahead of Care and Cobalt.

“He’s being insufferable,” Care muttered to Cobalt. “Look at him, puffed up like a pegasus doing a plumage display and wearing that smug smile.”

“You have your tail in a knot because you lost the coin flip,” He glanced over his shoulder at Care. “You can’t stand I surprised you too, even with Cobalt being involved.”

“Take a right,” Cobalt directed. “I couldn’t give away anything. You made me wait outside the store when you made the order.”

“That was the point of you staying outside. She would have used horrible methods like snuggling you or giving you wing hugs and nuzzles to get the information out of you. As your friend, I had to ensure that you didn’t suffer such horrible things by keeping the details of my plan from you.”

Cobalt chuckled. “You’ll get your comeuppance.”

“You’re just miffed because I kept you from being interrogated.” Windless led them to Rarity’s Carousel Boutique. He checked his reflection in the shop’s door’s window.

“You look fine, you vain thing,” Care teased.

“We’re about to meet with an Element, I have to look my best.”

Care poked Windless in the shoulder. “Just open the door you goof.”

Windless opened the door, which caused the shop’s bell to ring, and led them into the boutique.

“Oh, wow.” Windless looked around the storefront.

“Why are you acting so stunned?” Care asked. “It’s not like we didn’t see it when we were foals.”

“When I little I couldn’t appreciate the work that went into this like I can now.” He walked over to a dress and touched it with a hoof. “Having studied architecture and fashions a little to better my art skills, it makes me appreciate her talent all the more.”

“That is quite the compliment.” Rarity stepped from the back of the shop. “Welcome to Carousel Boutique. How can I help you, good sir?”

“To be honest, I’m not sure.”

Rarity raised an eyebrow. “You’re not sure?”

“I’m with them.” Windless pointed a hoof towards Care and Cobalt.

Rarity glanced at Care and Cobalt. Her ears perked up in recognition and she turned back to Windless.

“Oh, it’s you, Windless!” Rarity looked him over from hoof to ear tufts and smiled. “My word, you have grown up.”

Blushing, Windless replied, “Thank you.” He watched her with an expression of confusion, as she walked around him. “Is something wrong?”

“Just checking things, darling,” Rarity said. “You’re sister was good with her descriptions of you, but I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss any details or get your build wrong. I can’t have you walk out of here with something that’s not you. Think what it would do for my reputation!”

Windless looked over at Care, who smiled at him.

After Rarity made a full circle and stopped, Windless put a hoof to his chest and gave her an apologetic bow. “Miss Rarity, I am sure I would look stunning in whatever dress you made, but I’m afraid I could not wear it with enough grace and poise for it not to be wasted on me.”

Care groaned, “Windless!”

“Are you sure?” Rarity teased. “We could take it on as a challenge. If you’re willing to work with me, I could make you the stallion of the ball or gala of your choosing.”

“If Cobalt agrees to the same and Care joins us in a suit, I’ll do it,” Windless said in an honest, shameless tone. “The three of us would be sure to get your work noticed, and I promise I would sashay my best to draw every eye in the room to your design.”

“You wouldn’t go along with that, would you?” Care asked Cobalt.

Cobalt looked to Care and grinned. “I don’t know how I’d look in a dress, but I’m game if you are.”

Care stared at Cobalt opened mouthed.

Rarity patted Windless on the shoulder. “While I appreciate your willingness to help get my designs noticed, they didn’t get you a dress.” Rarity giggled, as Windless made a show of being disappointed, and gave him a hug. “It’s good to see you again.”

After a moment spent frozen in place, Windless returned the hug. “It’s good to see you too.”

“Your coat is just as soft now as it was then.” Rarity let go of him and smiled at his blush. “I take it they didn’t give you a hint at what they came up with.”

“No, Miss Rarity, they didn’t.”

“You seem to have the same affliction as Cobalt. When you get flustered the ‘miss’ comes out.”

“In his defense, when the Element of Generosity, who we have heard stories about growing up, is giving you attention and a hug it’s hard not to get flustered,” Cobalt said.

“You’re too kind. Windless, if you wouldn’t mind staying here for a moment, I’ll get what they ordered for you.”

After Rarity left the room, Windless asked, “What have you two done?”

Care grinned. “You’ll have to wait a minute or two more to find out.”

“Would you have worn a dress to a big event?” Cobalt asked.

“Rarity is one of my heroes, and I’ll never forget her introducing me to Fluttershy. If she made me a hoof sewn dress, I’d wear it to an audience with the princesses if she asked me to.”

Rarity stepped back into the storefront holding a ribbon wrapped hat box aloft in her magic. “Be careful of what you say, dear. I wasn’t joking when I made my offer and I might hold you to your word. It would be worth it to see the princess’ faces.” She levitated the box to Windless. “Here you go.”

Windless accepted the hat box. “Thank you.” He studied the box for a moment.

“Well, go on, darling,” she urged. “Open it.”

With careful hooves, Windless undid the bow on the top of the box, folded the ribbon, and put it to the side. He lifted the top of the box and peeked in. “It’s Labra!” He took the lid off the box and stared at the Labra plushie with an amazed expression.

Care took the box’s lid. “Do you like her?”

Windless smiled like a foal on Hearths Warming. “She’s wonderful!” He picked up the Labra plushie and gave her a tender hug. “Thank you.” He looked to Care and Cobalt and asked, “What in the world inspired this?”

“We thought you and Labra could have your own little routines when you write to each other like I did with the Care and Windless plushies when I wrote to you,” Cobalt explained. “Rarity made a plushie of you for you to give to Labra too.”

Windless turned back to Rarity, looking worried. “You know she and I are practice special somedoggy and somepony then.”

“I do,” Rarity said. “I also know you're conflicted about whether the whole thing is a good idea for you and her.”

Windless nodded. “I know what it’s like to have someone you like be out of reach. I don’t her to go through something like that.”

“I have had a similar relationship with someone for years now. He’s been so good to me, and I have tried to be just as kind with him. Keeping the balance between letting him show his affection and returning it while not letting things get too serious has been a balancing act for both of us.”

“So I’m not doing something nasty to her trying to be kind?” Windless asked.

“Not at all, but relationships like this are not always easy. There is always a chance of one or both of you getting hurt. Sometimes my admirer and I have stung each other with actions or words, but we always made up and have remained friends. We love each other in our own unconventional way. I cannot say it is a romantic love from my side of things, but I love him nonetheless. I have often wondered whether I should end the little game between him and me, even at the cost of his friendship, if it would save him from a greater hurt down the road.”

Windless dropped his chin to the top of the plushie Labra’s head. “I know that feeling.”

“For what little it’s worth, I think you did a kind thing and are being noble to see it through.” Rarity put a hoof to Windless’s cheek. “Care and Cobalt shared a little about what happened to you and why you are so worried about this. If you ever need advice or somepony to talk to, come see me or write. I will do what I can to help.”

“Thank you.”

Rarity turned to Care and Cobalt.

“Let me get the other two so you can see...” Rarity paused and tilted her head. “I can’t believe I didn’t notice you wearing those before. Those are lovely necklaces and the gems are stunning.”

“Thank you,” Care, Cobalt, and Windless said.

Rarity moved towards Care, her eye not leaving the necklace around Care’s neck. “I like the design. It’s elegant without being overwrought.” She leaned towards the necklace. “It gives the impression that the gems are holding each other using by using the wires like roots of trees that become enmeshed.”

Care took her necklace off and offered it to Rarity. “Would you like a closer look?”

“Yes, please.” Rarity took the necklace in her magic and levitated it so she could inspect it. She rotated the necklace and hummed an approving note. “It’s delicate looking, but the way the wires hold the gems I’m sure they won’t go bouncing off on their own.”

“Windless was the one who made the design.”

Rarity’s eyebrows rose. “Really?”

Cobalt told her, “Silver Wire did the wire-work and made some changes to the design so I can’t take all credit.”

“I thought the wire work seemed familiar. You two make a good team. Perhaps you two could get a side business going?”

Windless beamed at the praise. “Thank you. I can’t take all the credit, though. They made the gems.”

The necklace paused in its rotation. “Excuse me, but did you say they ‘made’ the gems?” Rarity said.

“We sort of made them,” Care said. “Cobalt and I shared magic while feeding his rockmoss and the gems formed later.”

“You shared magic?” Rarity looked at the necklace around Cobalt’s neck and then back to the one she held in her magic. “Does this signify what I think it does?”

Windless grinned and nodded.

“Hold this for me, darling.” Rarity floated Care’s necklace to Cobalt.

“Sure,” Cobalt said, seeming confused as he took the necklace.

She squealed in delight and hugged Care. “Congratulations!”

“Thank you.” Care returned Rarity’s hug. “I take it you approve.”

Rarity giggled and let Care go. “I do! He’s admired you for a long time. When you two visited, it was clear that you adored him too. Have you set a date yet?”

Care’s ears angled in confusion. “Set a date?”

“For the wedding, dear,” Rarity said. “I would be happy to make your gown, if you would like. Or are you planning to elope? If you are, I have known Major Mare to ceremonies on short notice and, if needed, with the utmost discretion.”

Care blushed and waved a hoof. “We haven’t gotten that far!”

“Our parents would have our tails too,” Cobalt said. “We had to negotiate just to snuggle together. If we got married in secret, when they found out we would have to move to Griffinstone.”

“The necklaces are to celebrate them making things official,” Windless said. “After they helped me prove that I could feed magic to some of Cobalt’s rockmoss, I wanted to do something nice for them in return.”

Rarity told Care, “You should realize that you will have about half the mare’s your age in this town jealous of you.”

“Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle warned me about that.”

Rarity gave her a worried look before asking, “Did they mention Diamond Tiara?”

“They did,” Care said. “We had lunch with Diamond, and she made it clear she was after Cobalt.”

“She’s part of the inspiration for the necklaces,” Windless said. “When they wear them Diamond and everypony else will know they are together and to back off.”

“I almost feel sorry for the poor dear,” Rarity said.

“If she takes the news hard, we’ll tie Windless up with a ribbon, put a bow on him, and give him to her.” Care looked at Windless and grinned. “He’s already gotten a kiss on the nose from her.”

Rarity’s ears perked up, and she asked, “What prompted this?”

“He invited her to lunch, after she interrupted him flirting with Scootaloo.”

Windless put his nose in the air. “I wasn’t flirting with Scootaloo. I was being friendly to her, as an ambassador of bat ponies everywhere. Remember, she was curious about you and Mom too.”

“Okay, you didn’t flirt with Scootaloo,” Care said in an unconvinced tone. “You can’t deny that you flirted with Diamond, though.”

Windless put on a mock innocent smile. “There might have been a little flirting to cheer her up. When she saw you at the table with Cobalt, she looked like her day was ruined.”

Rarity turned to Cobalt and Care. “Speaking of Scootaloo, let me get the other plushies.”

As Rarity headed toward the back of the shop, the shop’s door opened.

“Rarity, you won’t believe what I just found...” Sweetie Belle froze on seeing Care, Cobalt, and Windless in the shop.

“Sharing gossip again?” Cobalt teased.

Sweetie Belle blushed. “Maybe.” She pointed a hoof at Windless. “That is adorable!”

“I try for handsome, but adorable works,” Windless said. “Thank you for the complement.”

“Not you, the Labra plushie!”

Windless’ folded his ears back. He turned the Labra plushie so that it faced him and said to her, “At least you think I’m a pretty pony.”

“I’m not even going to ask,” Sweetie said. She approached Windless and held out a hoof. “Let’s try this again. My name is-”

“Sweetie Belle!” Rarity named, as she returned. “I wasn’t expecting you.”

“My name is Windless,” he said and shook Sweetie Belle’s hoof. “It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“You’re Cobalt’s other mystery pony!” Sweetie said.

“Care is Cobalt’s mystery pony. I am Labra’s practice special mystery pony now.”

Sweetie blinked at him. “What?”

Windless smiled, as he looked at one of the plushies that Rarity held in in her magic. “That’s Scootaloo! Who is she for?”

“Pyrite, if I had to bet.” Sweetie said. “He’s her biggest fan.”

“We thought about getting him a Amore plushie, but Rarity suggested Scoots instead,” Cobalt said.

Sweetie looked back to Windless. “Must be the pony who invited Scoots to lunch yesterday.”

“That would be me. She took the time to hunt me down, after hearing about a bat pony being in town, so I thought I would spend time with her.”

Rarity floated the Windless plush so it hovered at Windless’ side. “What do you think?”

Windless sat down and assumed the same posture and happy expression as the plushie.

Sweetie Belle giggled. “It looks like a perfect copy.”

“I have Care to thank for that,” Rarity said.

“I keep telling her she has an artist’s eye, but she won’t pick up a pencil or a brush no matter how much I prod her,” Windless said.

“She sounds like Applebloom,” Sweetie Belle said. “She won’t draw or paint pictures, but she’ll pick up a roller and paint a barn or shed in a heartbeat.”

“Aren’t you and the girls meeting for lunch today?” Rarity asked.

“I almost forgot!”

Sweetie Belle turned and then paused. “Would you like to come?” she asked Rarity. “You haven’t joined us for lunch in a while.”

“I would love to, but I’ve got orders I need to finish up,” Rarity said. “Give them my love for me.”

“I will.” Sweetie Belle turned to Windless. “Would you like to come? Since you didn’t get to have lunch with Scoots yesterday, this could make up for it.”

Windless’ ears perked up. “Sure, if I wouldn’t be intruding.”

“Not at all,” Sweetie Belle assured. “I’m sure Applebloom would like to meet you too.”

“Be on your best behavior with them, Windless,” Cobalt warned. “Anything you say or do will be known about throughout Ponyville by the end of the day.”

Sweetie Belle gave Cobalt a look. “We’re not that bad.”

Cobalt snorted. “What were you going to tell Rarity, before we distracted you?”

Sweetie Belle blushed and confessed, “That I had run into Scootaloo, and she told me she had spent time with Windless yesterday at your place and saw the three of you leaving Silver Wire’s shop this morning during her morning weather inspection flight.”

“I rest my case,” Cobalt said.

Sweetie Belle made a point of not looking at Cobalt as she asked, “Care, would you Cobalt like to come too?”

“I would love to, but we’ve got to drop off the plushies and then check out one last place I found out about before I throw in the towel,” Care answered.

Sweetie Belle looked back to Windless. “It looks like it’s just you, me, and the girls.”

“I’m sure he’s not enjoying that idea,” Care teased.

“I’m ignoring you, dear sister mine.” Windless said. “Cobalt, could you take care of Labra for me?”

“I’d be glad to.” Cobalt took the plushie from Windless. “Don’t let them get you into anything you can’t get out of,” he warned.

Sweetie Belle put a hoof to her chest. “Cobalt, are you insinuating that we are trouble makers?”

Cobalt raised an eyebrow. “Gabby Gums, love poisons, the Summer Wrap-up crafts tent fiasco, countless incidents of property damage. Should I go on?”

Sweetie Belle narrowed her eyes at him. “We were fillies. Getting into things while trying to find where they belong in the world is what fillies do.”

“Love poisons?” Windless asked, looking disturbed. “Who in the world would make something like that?”

“It was an accident,” Sweetie Belle explained. “We were trying to help Big Mac Miss Cheerilee fall in love for Hearts and Hooves Day.”

“This I’ve got to hear,” Windless said.

“She and girls can tell you the tale over lunch.” Rarity made a shooing motion towards them. “You two run along or you will be late.”

Sweetie Belle gave Rarity a hug. “See you later, Sis.”

Rarity returned the hug and kissed Sweetie Belle’s temple. She smiled and said, “Don’t get him covered in tree sap either.”

“Rarity!”