• Published 5th Jun 2012
  • 2,467 Views, 114 Comments

The Nightmare King - Lt_Lance



Lance was driving to his high school graduation, but that didn't turn out so good. Now he finds himself living a double life, on one half he is Lance the owner of a successful pub in Ponyville. On the other half he is Myrvang the Nightmare King

  • ...
12
 114
 2,467

Chapter 9 Part 4 – Ponyville or Bust

The Nightmare King
:Chapter 9 Part 4 – Ponyville or Bust:

I finally managed to locate the hotel, only stopping to ask for directions three times! I limped into the lobby. There were three hallways leading out of the lobby lined with doors like you would find in any hotel. A staircase against the back wall led to the second floor which had its own respective hallways and another above that. I noticed a pudgy mare sitting behind the front desk writing something down on a sheet of paper. “Well I guess I should ask her where I should go.

I walked up to the front desk. “Um hello?” I asked getting the mares attention.

The receptionist mare looked up at me and smiled warmly “Guten Tag.” She greeted me.

“I was told to meet someone here.” I informed her, returning her smile.

“Who?” She asked taking out a list of names I could only assume where the guests.

Oh crap, I didn’t really have a name... or a way to describe the guy. “Well he’s kind of strange“

Her smile disappeared, replaced by a sour frown. She threw a key down on the desk and motioned down the hall. “Down ze hall last room on ze rechts.”

“Umm. Okay, thanks.”

I limped down the hall hoping that I could finally get off my hurt paw and just lay down until my body stopped hurting.

I unlocked the door and walked in half expecting something to jump out at me. All I saw was an empty basic hotel room, a door leading into a bathroom (thank god), one bed, one desk, one chair, and one lamp. The only thing that stood out was an envelope resting on the pillow.

“Hello?” I called into the room making sure no one was around. Confident that the madman who freed me wasn’t around, I walked over to the bed to see what was in the envelope. There was a name printed on the envelope.

“Galloping Steam Railways?” I asked looking it over. I cut it open using one of my talons as a letter opener. A slip of paper fell out onto the bed. I picked it up to examine it.

“A train ticket?” I asked slightly confused. The ticket didn’t have a destination on it, just a time of departure and a seat number.

“Are you going to call out every little thing that happens to be in front of you!?” I heard a voice shout from within the room.

*Squak!*

“Hahahahaah! That will never get old.” A large pony literally walked out of a shadow in the corner of the room. Now I have seen some shit in my day trust me, Inner City Chicago isn’t exactly the most delicate of places, but very little could prepare me for this. He had to be the tallest pony I have ever seen, at least five feet maybe more. I guess if you were feeling kind you could describe the things hanging off his back wings. Creepy dragon bone wings... his fur was solid black and he was wearing some adornments kind of like Celestia does in the show. The most striking feature were his eyes. “Those eyes... those are the eyes of the one who freed me from the hospital.

“I bought us some time so we can relax. As far as any institute boys that were watching the train station are concerned you are on your way to Manehattan.” The odd stallion said walking past me and locking the door.

“Who… what are you!” I asked, my mind reeling, trying to understand what was going on. Was this the pony who set me free? Was this what he really looked like?

“Hmm, I have better question, what are you?” he asked turning around and smiling at me.

“I don’t know what you are talking about.” I responded, not wanting to give away what had happened to me until I knew who this guy was.

“Oh come on boy, don’t you lie to me.” He responded, putting on a hurt expression but failing to hide his smile.

“Answer my question first!” I demanded, pointing one of my talons at him.

He nodded and raised an appraisatory eye brow at me. “Ahh… A little fight in you yet, I like that. If you must know, I am your savior.” He explained, putting a hoof against his armored chest.

“…Jesus?”

*Facehoof*

“No. My name is Myrvang, Myrvang the Nightmare King.” He said from behind his hoof.

Seriously...” I walked up to him and looked him over. “…Are you aware that sounds like a cliché super villain name?”

He gave me a flat look. “…Shut up Rick.


/=====/\=====\
=====| Nightmare Throne |=====
\=====\/=====/

The hotel room flew away from me. I don’t really know how to describe looking at a real life scene transition. One minute I’m talking to the creepiest looking pony I have ever seen and the next I’m sitting in some kind of large room with dark stained glass windows and large stone walls. Large columns made of granite lined the wall emphasizing the height of the room. It made me feel small. Myrvang sat on a throne that looked a little too much Like Celestia’s except for the fountain that poured out red liquid that I assumed was just dyed water because I couldn’t smell any blood.

“Where am I!?” I asked, when I finally got my bearings.

“You really suck at this, you know that boy?” Myrvang asked shaking his head.

“Hey, why do you keep calling me boy!?” I asked, annoyed by him talking down to me.

He smiled and started walking down towards me. “How old are you?”

“Sixteen.” I answered automatically.

“Still a boy then." He said, nodding to himself.

“Awww”

He sat down right in front of me and started to look me over. “Like I said earlier the better question is ‘what are you’?”

“Umm… I’m a griffon?” I answered, trying to sound convincing.

Myrvang smiled while tilting his head back and looking down at me. “You don’t say!”

“…Did you just meme at me?”

He laughed to himself and started to walk around me in a circle. “There is more to your answer Rick. Why where you in the coo coo hut in the first place, hmm?”

“I’m…”

“Yes?”

“Well…”

“Yes?”

“You see…”

“Out with it boy!” He yelled hitting his hoof against the stone floor.

“I’m actually a human!” I shouted out in defeat.

“Was that so hard?” He said patting me on my head.

“You mean… you believe me?” I asked looking up to him confused.

“Why do you think I busted you out in the first place Rick?” He explained walking back to his throne.

“I dunno, my rugged good looks?” I joked, standing up and stretching my wings out.

“I thought we already decided that I was the handsome one.” He said turning back halfway the distance to his seat.

“...” Seriously, what does he want me to say to that.

“Still not even a snort? We need to work on that sense of humor Ricky boy.” Myrvang remarked waving his hoof.

“Why do you believe me?” I asked, trying to understand what Myrvang’s deal is.

He snorted. “Because I’m not an idiot. Sickhouse, from what I could gather, is as arrogant as he is German... and he is VERY German.” “I have only spoken with you for a short time and I can gather that you are not mad. Hell Sickhouse probably knew you weren’t mad, but he just didn’t care.” He explained, a scowl growing on his face.

“And you knew I was human just by talking to me?” I asked raising my brow.

“No.”

“Then how did you know?”

“Does it really matter?” He asked with a sigh.

“Well... kinda, I mean what if you only broke me out of the hospital so you could take me to some sort of area fifty one type deal, I would like to know the details.”

“I found you because I met a pony who had escaped from Sickhouse before. She told me where it was, and upon investigating further I noticed you. You... fit the description of one of the individuals I am looking for.” He explained looking off into the distance deep in thought.

Wait what? One of the individuals he’s looking for. Are there others like me? “Who exactly are you looking for? What descriptions?"

“There is a legend, a prophesy, made long ago that spoke of four visitors that would arrive on this world during the return of Nightmare Moon. You are not alone in this plight Rick. There are three others who are in your shoes. Other humans have visited this world. I am trying to find them all before they can... you know... get captured and thrown into an insane asylum. Or maybe get taken in by the state.” He finished shrugging.

“Why would you worry about the princesses taking them?” I asked, confused. “From what I know the princesses are good ponies.”

“Well... what happened the last time a state sponsored institution got their hooves on you.” He said pointing a hoof down at me.

“...I see your point, but I doubt Princess Celestia has any idea about that!”

He nodded in consensus. “Oh I know she doesn’t. She would never... But there are evil ponies in this world Rick, and some of them work under her. Until I can guarantee the safety of all four stars I will not make a case to the Equestrian government. So until then, I would like you to come with me and I will give you a place to stay and food to eat. I can promise you that the ponies from the hospital will never take you back.” He said stepping closer to me and looking me in the face.

“You promise?” I asked

“You have my word.” He promised with a smile on his face. He doesn’t really seem that scary anymore. He did risk his life to save me yesterday. I guess I’ll trust him and listen to what he has to say, also the idea of finding the others out there. To find concrete evidence that I am not crazy and I really am human. Maybe I can even find a way home!

“Where are they? The others like me?” I asked getting myself excited.

He looked around the room wearing an embarrassed expression. “Well... You are the first I have actually found, but I have my ear to the ground. The others will turn up eventually. I know they will. As long as they have the common sense to keep their stupid mouths shut.”

“...Are you trying to tell me something?”

“Just go and get some sleep. Your train leaves at noon tomorrow and after a day like today you need some rest.” He said motioning me to leave.

“Aren’t I asleep now?” I asked, looking around the room.

“Yes but not a good one. You are technically having a nightmare; you can’t really get a good night’s sleep in a nightmare.” He said walking back to his seat.

“Oh... this doesn’t seem like a nightmare.” I said looking up at him. I regretted saying it the moment I heard them behind me.

*Hwryyyyyglglglrrrr!* *Hwryyyyyglglglrrrr!*

I turned around and noticed two ponies had silently sneaked behind me. These were not ponies though. They stood on their hind hooves and had torn up mouths of razor sharp teeth beneath coal black eyes. Blood covered their bodies from their manes to their hooves. A trail of bloody hoof prints lead from where they stood to two corners of the room, closest to the door. These things have been behind me the entire time. “How bout now?” Myrvang laughed.

“What the hell are these things!?” I asked not taking my eyes off the beasts.

“Just my pets... I call these guys Bloody Hooves. Don’t worry they don’t eat griffons... or was that hippogriffs? I always lose track of things like this.” Myvang questioned putting a hoof to his chin in thought. As he contemplated the one on my left started to inch closer to me opening its mouth wider and wider.

“Yep it was definitely griffons!” He shouted and the monster stepped back.

"Will you boys please show Mr. Ricky the door?"

Wordlessly, they maneuvered around me. I could hear them breathing heavily as they did... no they weren’t breathing they were sniffing, like a dog. They couldn’t see so they got around by smell and sound! That’s kind of cool. They walked me to the door opposite to the throne and I walked through, and ended up in a simple office room. It had a sky blue carpet with a few chairs against the walls.

“What the hell is this?” I asked looking around stopping dead when I saw what was to my left. More specifically who it was.

The fucking Great and Powerful Trixie was sitting behind a desk staring at me like I was the most bizarre thing she had ever seen.

After a few minutes of staring I finally opened my beak. “Trixie?”

She almost jumped out of her chair in surprise when I said her name. After a few seconds her mouth began to form words. “What the good golly fu-”

And then everything went black... I woke up alone in the hotel room. Myrvang was nowhere in sight. Looking at the clock showed that it was ten in the morning. My paw felt better at least, so that was a plus. Did I just dream Trixie up or does Myrvang have her trapped in his nightmare working as his secretary? No, that’s just crazy.

I decided to stay in the hotel room until eleven thirty. I didn’t want to be out and about this town in case they were still looking for me. I asked the receptionist where I could find the train station and she was glad to tell me how to get there. I walked there without incident and boarded the train. Following the instructions on the ticket I made it to my seat to find the one next to it was occupied.

The pony in the seat next to me was a rare sight. A pony wearing a full set of cloths! He was dressed in a black vest that rested over a white dress shirt. He wore a pair of opaque sunglasses. I’ve seen guys wear sunglasses all the time on trains and buses back home, so it didn’t really strike me as odd. What was odd was his cutie mark. It looks suspiciously like the symbol they put around Ponyville in the Nightmare Night episode. I think it’s the symbol they used for Nightmare Moon. The guy was fidgeting in his seat like he couldn’t get comfortable and kept looking around the inside of the train with a frown.

“What’s the matter bro you don’t like trains?" I asked him curiously

His head snapped around to look at me and a scowl came across his face. “One, never call me bro ever again and two, yes I hate trains.”

“…Why?”

He looked down and gave a heavy sigh. “*sigh* I can already tell this is gonna be a long trip.” He muttered.

We sat in silence until the train lurched forward and began to move. The movement did not go unnoticed by my neighbor who almost had a mini freak out over it. I have heard of people who got scared flying or sailing, but never on trains.

“I still don’t understand why you would take the train if it bothers you so much.” I told him, trying to be as respectful as possible. I didn’t know how long this trip would be, and i don’t want to piss off my only source of conversation.

“This is the quickest way to travel to Ponyville griffon. Now please just let me rest, I have had a long day.”

“We’re going to Ponyville!” I shouted in surprise. Maybe a little too loud, because he was wincing and holding his ears.

“I take it that that this excites you?” He muttered sitting back up in his seat.

“Uhh, well …yea, I guess you could say that I always wanted to go to Ponyville.” Well at least for six months now ever since I found the show.

He nodded. “Riiiiiighht. So any plans on what you’re going to do when you get there?” He asked with a bored expression.

“Well there are these ponies I would like to meet.” I said thinking of all the ponies I knew would be there, and the ponies I hoped would be there. Derpy is best background pony.

“How do you plan on finding them, Ponyville is a big place.” Lance said looking out his window to see Bridleburg disappear from view behind a mountain. A smile formed on his face when it was out of sight.

“Really? How big?” I questioned.

“Somewhere around 800 ponies.” He said not turning around.

“That doesn’t seem that big.” I said thinking back home to Chicago, which had two million people living in it.

“Well I don’t know about you griffons but that’s fairly large for ponies.” He said turning his attention back onto me.

"Oh, okay then." The conversation died then. He just sat there staring into space... or he could be sleeping I can’t tell. I decided to follow his example and take a small nap. I leaned back in my seat and let my mind wander until the calming darkness of unconsciousness claimed me.


/=====/\=====\
=====| Nightmare Throne |=====
\=====\/=====/

I stood before Myrvang on his throne

“Ah Ricky it’s good to see you again.” He greeted me.

“Holy shit. Is this going to be an everyday thing.” I said looking around for any sneaky monsters.

“No this is a special occasion. You are going to Ponyville where we can look over you.”

“We?” I asked wondering if he was picking up on Luna’s speaking habbits.

“Haven’t you met him yet?” He asked raising an eyebrow.

“The earth pony sitting next to me?” I asked.

“Yea him, his name is Lance. He is my assistant and right hand man, while you are in Ponyville you will answer to him.” He said still sitting on his throne.

“Does he even know who I am …what I am?” I asked wondering how many people are going to learn about it. It’s not that I want to keep it a secret or anything it’s just that I don’t want the hospital to find me again.

He tilted his head to the left. “Maaaaybe....” And then to the right. “Maaybe not.”

I covered my face with a talon. “You are a troll. You know that?” I pointed out to him.

He just laughed it off. “You mad?”

“How do you even know about memes!?” I accused him.

“You have asked enough questions young Ricky. I believe it is almost time for you to awaken.”

“Wait! ...Last time I was here I think I saw Trixie in the other room.”

He looked genuinely shocked by my question. “What do you mean other room? You didn’t go into the reception room, did you?”

But... he led me there. “Was I not supposed to? Your Bloody Hooves just led me right in.” I defended.

He didn’t seem angry just surprised. He began to rub his chin in thought again. “You were meant to black out of the nightmare when you left the throne room... interesting.”

“So was that her or not?” I asked again.

“Trixie Lulamoon works as a secretary here, yes. Is it against her will? ...Kinda."

“Kinda?"

“She threatened to harm the bearer of magic, Twilight Sparkle. I stepped in and saw to it that she didn’t do anything stupid. She will remain here for a few more months then she will be free to go."

“Oh... okay then.” I guess if it’s to defend one of the mane six it’s alright.

“Now you need to go talk to Lance.” Myrvang said waving me off.

“What do I say to the guy?”

“Whenever you need to talk about something involving you or something about me, just ask him if he’s had any good dreams lately.”

“Got it, thank you bro." That seemed to piss him off. He slowly walked towards me and stopped his face just an inch away from mine. A low growl worked its way out of his throat. “This is how I die!

“If you call me bro again I will feed you to the worst nightmarish monsters you can think of.” He said in a low monotone.

“I’m sorry br- …Sir! I swear it won’t happen again.” I said holding my talons up in a gesture of surrender.

“I will hold you to that now.” he raised his hoof out to his right and a wicked grin split his face “Do you know what time it is?!” He asked.

“N-no” I answered

“It’s time to wake up!” he yelled delivering an unholy pimp smack upon me.I woke up shooting out of my seat.

*Squak!*

“Heheheh... that’s funny.” The earth pony now known as Lance commented next to me.

This better not become a thing...

I looked at Lance again. “Well I guess it does make sense. They do have very similar cutie marks.

Well here goes nothing. “So, had any good dreams lately?” I asked him with smiling awkwardly.

He looked at me like I was an idiot. That look you get from old people when they see you messing around on the sidewalk in front of their homes. I thought for a second that Myrvang had just fucked me over.

“Actually I had a nightmare.” He said smiling.

Wait I was never told of any countersign!

“So are you really his-”

“-If you finish that sentence I will break your beak” He said looking around at the other passengers in the car. There were a few less than when we departed getting off at stops along the way.

I sighed slumping back into my seat. “I am getting really tired of being threatened.” I warned him.

“Then stop being such an easy target.” Lance chastised, looking to make sure no one was listening in.

“So what am I going to do when I get to Ponyville?” I asked curious about what this Lance guy was supposed to do.

“You are going to share a room with a friend of mine until I can find you accommodations.” He said sitting back down in his seat.

“What accommodations?” I asked, curious about where I was going to be spending my stay in Ponyville.

“Do you know anything about cloud forming?” He asked raising a brow.

“Umm …sorry no, I don’t even know how to fly.” To my surprise this information didn’t even make him twitch. The few that I had actually admitted this to in my time in Equestria had either laughed at me, or thought I was crazy... that last one didn’t end to well.

He just sighed and relaxed in his seat. “Useless bird.” He muttered.

“Hey that’s racist …I think.” Was calling a griffon a bird considered racist?

“Whatever.” Lance huffed

We sat in silence for a few more mintes letting the sound of the train fill the air. That only made lance start to fidget in his seat again. He eventually broke the silence. “We will need to fix that flying problem Ricky.”

“How do you know my name?” I asked wondering if Myrvang told him.

“Same way you know mine.” Ah, so he did.

“Oh... right.” I nodded feeling kind of dumb. Of course Myrvang probably told him everything.

The car stopped again in some town, I didn’t catch the name but a good amount of the car emptied out here. Now it was just me Lance and a light blue earth pony sitting two rows behind us.

Suddenly a rough thought entered my head. “Hey Lance what if the guard start looking for me?"

He didn’t seem to be paying attention, instead focusing on the horizon outside his window. “Why would they do that?”

“Maybe, because I just broke out of a damn insane asylum!” I yelled.

My little outburst had attracted the attention of the other pony in the car. He stood up and walked to the back of the car never taking his eyes off of me.

“Oops” I uttered holding my beak shut.

Lance groaned. “You’re lucky this train is so empty; next time, think before you speak.” Lance stood up and turned around looking straight at the pony in the back. “You didn’t hear anything you got that Noteworthy!”

“Loud and clear!” He answered.

“Sorry Lance.” I muttered.

He looked back at me. “...It wasn’t an insane asylum it was a research facility. Life would only be too easy if it were just an asylum. I doubt Sickhouse would ever go to the crown for help, it would raise to many questions. However, the information we gathered on this trip was invaluable, not to mention the accusation of a possible ally. ...When we get you back to Ponyville I can link you to him.

“Link me to who?” I wondered.

“I know you met him …the Nightmare King” Lance said sitting back down in his seat.

"I have.” I answered simply.

“As you can imagine he isn’t exactly operating out in the open. Hell, this thing with the Institute is our first real expedition. I can only imagine what Old Celly would do if she found out about him.” He said laughing.

Old Celly? …Celestia?

“Do you mean Princess Celestia?” I asked confused by the way he was addressing her. I thought all ponies treated her with respect. Even those freaks at the hospital seemed to revere her.

“That is what her little ponies call her.” Lance answered nodding.

“But aren’t you one of her little ponies?” I asked surprised.

He slowly turned his head to look at me. I could see myself sweating in the reflection of his shades. “...I belong to no one” He growled.

“You got it. I didn’t mean to imply anything.” I said backing away from him.

His expression changed to a neutral one and them a smile formed on his face. He patted me on the head. “There is hope for you yet Rick.”

“So what were you doing in Bridleburg anyway? I didn’t see you when I was sprung.” I asked, curious as to how he ended up on this train alongside me.

“I was retrieving some files and information. I was making sure to clear you and a friend of mines records.” He explained pulling two vanilla files from a bag he kept under his seat. One of them had my subject number on it and the other read ‘093’. I wonder who that is.

“Oh, and who is this friend of yours? Myrvang mentioned her to me earlier.” I asked wondering who could possibly escape that place without help.

“She busted out on her own a few years ago. She told us about the institute and when we went looking into it, you were noticed. We really didn’t tell her about this expedition, so I would like it if you kept quiet about it. No need to go bragging around town about how fast you can run.” He explained putting the files back in his bag.

“...But I can run pretty fast.” I defended.

He smirked. “Shut up... When we arrive, we're meeting someone at town hall.”

“Who’s at town hall?” I asked curious who we would be meeting there.

“My contact, she will help you with the legal stuff.” Lance explained

The wheels of the train began to screech against the iron rails as the tired voice of the conductor came through a speaker on the ceiling, giving us a signal we have been long awaiting for.

“Now arriving at Ponyville Station, last stop before Canterlot. We thank you for choosing Galloping steam Railways and we hope you ride with us again soon.” As soon as he stopped talking the doors of the train started to open. Lance was out the door before it could fully recede.

“Hmmph ...not likely.” Lance said walking off the train.

“What did the train ever do to you anyway?” I asked jokingly. Lance didn’t laugh though, his face became grim and he walked away from the train in silence.

We departed the train station and began walking through Ponyville, the actual Ponyville! Jesus it is bigger than I expected, almost as big as Bridleburg. We were walking down a cobblestone road past a place called Molly’s when Lance stopped me.

“You see that pub?” He asked pointing at it.

“Yes.” I answered, confused as to why we had stopped.

“I live there.” He said beginning to walk again.

“You live in a bar!?” I asked, catching back up to him.

“No. you can’t live in a bar stupid... I live in a flat above it.” He said laughing.

*face palm*

“Heheheh.”

After a few more minutes of walking we ended up outside town hall. It was a large official looking building. Far more imposing than the show led me to believe. Lance and I walked in to see a secretary filing her hoof behind a desk. Lance walked up to her and got her attention.

“Hello I am here to see Mayor Mare.” He told her. As soon as she saw it was him, a look of panic struck her face. A look that conveyed that the schedule she had spent all morning preparing for the mayor had just been ruined. All ruined by just this one ponies presence.

“Do you have an appointment?” she finally managed to choke out.

“What do you think?” Lance asked raising a brow in amusement.

“No?”

“Good girl!” he said excitedly patting the mare on the head.

“Now if you’ll excuse us.”

We walked into Mayor Mare’s office despite the warnings of the receptionist. I closed the door behind us and turned around to see Lance was already talking to the Mayor.

“Oh hello Lance. Who’s your griffon friend?” She said never taking her eyes off of him.

“May, let me introduce you to Ricky the griffon.” Lance said stepping aside to give her a clean look at me and pointing in my direction.

Mayor Mare took one look at me and buried her head in her hooves. “*sigh* let me guess… no history, no relatives, and no questions?”

“Whoa.” I said surprised.

“Oh May, you’re a mare after my own heart.” Lance said putting his hoof to his chest.

She leaned back in her chair taking her glasses off and resting them on her desk with a defeated expression on her face. “*groan* Lance my life was a lot simpler before you strutted into it.”

Lance laughed and put his hooves up on her desk. “Oh shut up May you love it. The danger, the excitement, and-”

“-the colts” She interrupted with a smirk.

“Not so much.” Lance tutted.

He got back down and walked to my side draping a hoof over my shoulder.

“Rick here needs employment. I don’t have anything for him to take on full time at my pub.”

Mayor Mare looked me up and down trying to assess me as best she could. “Well what skills does he possess?”

“The boy is fast.” Lance said flatly.

“Fast?” She said looking back at Lance.

“Yes well… physically at least” Lance said shrugging.
Wait a minute...” “…Hey!”

“Well we do have an opening at the Ponyville Postal Service.” Mayor Mare said reluctantly.

“Just one opening?” Lance questioned.

“Yes nopony else would take the job.” She said defeated.

“And why is that?” Lance asked

“Well… he would have to work with a certain mare.” She said pulling at her collar.

“Oh come on Ditzy can’t be that bad.” Lance blurted out.

“The very fact that you know who I am talking about is evidence to the contrary.”

“I would really like to work with her.” I said, inserting myself into the conversation.

“Have you met her?” Mayor Mare asked.

“No.” I answered.

“You wouldn’t be saying that if you have, trust me.” She replied putting her glasses back on.

“Rick let me do the talking.” Lance said softly looking at me sideways.

“I can speak for myself you know.” I said putting a talon to his chest.

“And where did that get you last time?” Lance asked pointing an incriminating hoof at me.

“…Oh come on! You can hardly blame me for that!” I shouted. It’s not like he knew the whole story anyway.

“I really do blame you for that Rick. If you had just kept your big beak shut you wouldn’t have been submitted to the hospital in the first place!”

“Oh come on! I was alone and needed help. Ma always said honesty was… the best… policy.”

...Holy shit. Ma... I wonder how she’s doing? I haven’t thought about her for months... always wrapped up in the moment. It was just me and Ma back home. Did she look for me? Did she miss me? I wonder what they think happened.

“…” You could cut the tension in the air with a baguette.

“…May?” Lance asked breaking the silence.

“Yes?” She replied still looking at the silent griffon.

Lance straightened his bow tie and looked at the Mayor. “Can you give us a little privacy for a moment?”

“Well I can’t really just leave-”

“-Please May.” Lance said his tone soft yet firm.

“…Okay.” She conceded getting out of her chair.

She trotted out of her office getting a curious look from her receptionist as she closed her office door. And an even more bemused expression when she pressed her ear against the door.

“*sigh* Rick… I understand that you must miss them. Losing one’s parents is never easy.”
I looked away from Lance and began to closely examine the floor beneath my talons. “What are you talking about?”

Lance’s face actually looked concerned. He appeared to be thinking over some things and finally sighed and walked over to me.

He put his hooves around me... holy shit this guy is hugging me. “I know some of the details of your situation. I know what you must have lost. You had a life, a family, and maybe some hope and dreams to pursue.” His tone spoke knowingly of the pain he was describing.

“…” I didn’t know what to say. He was basically telling me that my life had been destroyed. Replaced with what I am now.

“I’m sorry Rick, but all of that has been robbed of you. I do not think you will ever be able to go home… ever able to see your family again. Rick... this is where you may spend the rest of your life, and you’re going to have to learn to deal with that.”

“…I-I know. I pretty much …figured that out.” I shakily answered. I won’t cry dammit! I swear I’m not. My eyes are just watery because I’m allergic to whatever fabric Lance’s vest is made from.

He let me go and patted me on the shoulder. “Do not mourn, they are not dead. You should hold onto your parents teachings, remember them with that. However, you need to remember that while living here you should always heed my warnings. You will never tell ANYONE where you came from, what you were, or who you are working for.” The touching moment was successfully murdered by Lance yelling at me.

“…”

“UNDERSTAND!?” He yelled again.

“Y-yes sir!” I responded with a salute.

Lance walked over to the door, opening it and letting Mayor Mare fall into her office, he didn’t even flinch.

“That goes for you too May.” He said walking over her.

“Yes sir.” She responded with a smile.

Lance walked through the door and turned around looking at me and the mayor who was still lying on the ground.

“Ricky Wallace, Mayor Mare… I bid you a good day and good luck.” He closed the door and walked off towards his pub.

“He… can be scary at times.” I said looking down at Mayor Mare.

The Mayor smiled and stood back up before answering. “Don’t you just love it!”

“…You’re crazy aren’t you?” I asked.

“Crazy like a fox!” She explained getting back onto her hooves.

She walked back behind her desk and motioned for me to sit. I sat down in the chair across from her and gave her my best friendly smile.

“So… May?”

Her hoof flew against the top of my head. “*swat* Don’tyouevercallmethat!” She yelled.

“Y-yes ma'am.” I said rubbing my head.

“Yes, ma'am is good. Or you could just call me Mayor Mare like everypony else.” She explained rifling through some drawers on her desk.

“But why does Lance call you that?” I asked her.

“Lance is… special.” She explained looking off into the distance smiling fondly.

I stared at her for a few seconds my eyes growing wider. “You mean... you and him?”

“Now, now Rick. A lady doesn’t kiss and tell. ...unless she’s talking with other mares then it’s just open game."

Holy shit... the images... I think I need some mind bleach.

So I sat down with the mayor and we worked out a cover story for me as she did some paperwork. Turns out that it wasn’t that hard to forge papers in Equestria, just a plus to having a society with hooves, hand writing isn’t an issue. When it was all said and done, I was an immigrant from the Griffon’s dominion who had moved to Equestria four years ago. I had just moved to Ponyville after my last home had burnt down destroying all my previous paperwork. Mayor Mare gave me directions and said to meet back up with Lance, and he would take care of me. I thanked her for her help and started a jog towards the bar. I saw a lot of ponies and they all saw me... and I mean that. They all stopped to look at me... every single one.

I found my way back to molly’s to find Lance standing out in front. As soon as he saw me he waved me over. “Ricky!” He said cheerfully.

“Hi Lance... the ponies around here are staring at me" I informed him looking around.

“Griffons are rare in this town. Most around here normally just go straight to Canterlot. Don’t worry they’ll get used to you.” He explained.

He walked over to the door and opened it. “Come along Rick, come in and meet the gang.”

“Okay.” I really have no idea what to expect.

I walked in to see three ponies in the room besides Lance. There was a red pegasus pony wearing a grease stained apron washing down a table in the middle of the room. He had a gold, five pointed star on his flank. There was an orange unicorn mare snoring loudly on the bar top with an open bottle of whiskey close by. Her cutiemark was a whiskey bottle with the emblem of a red clover orbited by stars. And finally a small teal pegasus filly appeared to be drawing in a booth near a staircase that led upstairs. She had a paintbrush within a crystal ball on her flank.

"Everypony let me introduce a new friend of mine, Ricky Wallace!"

They all stopped what they were doing to look up at the griffon who had just walked into the pub. Well, everyone except for the sleeping mare.

Lance walked over to the red pegasus. “This here is Red Skies” he announced putting one of his hooves over his shoulder and bringing him in. The pegasus just rolled his eyes in accepted annoyance

“Hello.” I greeted him with a nod.

“Privot comrade.” He responded.

Holy shit. A Russian pony!

He let go of Red Skies and jumped over to the sleeping unicorn. “This is Molly O’Mally.” He stated poking her head repeatedly. She didn’t seem to notice.

“Is she drunk?” I asked smelling the strong whiskey smell that came off of her.

“No... she’s just Irish.” Lance explained, stopping his assault on her head.

“Ahh...” I nodded with understanding.

As Lance turned to introduce me to the other pony a strong Irish brogue stopped us in our tracks. “Who the hell’s this?”

“Ohhh fuck me.” I heard lance whisper.

Lance turned around slowly making sure not to make any sudden movements. “Shhh Molly just go back to sleep.” She nodded and turned her head back to the bar and began to lay back down to continue her drunken nap. Before she could the bar stool next to hers became covered in a rich green aura and was flung across the room faster than my eyes could trace.

*crash*

*snore* she was sound asleep.

Lance stared at her worryingly for a few seconds before leading to the last pony in the room. The filly seemed to be drawing a picture of some kind. It was hard to make out what it was exactly, but there was definitely fire in it. “This little one’s name is Alexandria Belle.”

“...” She stopped drawing and looked up at me in silence.

“Don’t mind her, she is just shy." Lance explained walking to the base of the stairs.

“And last but certainly not least. A filly who needs no introduction...” Lance announced loudly.

“...”

“...that’s your queue!” He yelled up the stairs.

“Oh, sorry” A young female voice responded.

“A filly who needs no introduction...” Lance repeated and a purple maned filly jumped down the stairs sliding on the banister and finishing with a somersault, landing perfectly.

“Scootaloo!”

Holy shit! Scootaloo! As in best filly ever, Scootaloo!” I could feel my face becoming sour from smiling to hard.

Lance must of seen my reaction because before I could say anything he had a rolled up newspaper and was assaulting me with it.

“Ricky! *swat* No! *swat* Bad! *swat*”

He beat me back a few feet with it before he stopped. Scootaloo was staring at us confused.

“He was mesmerized by how awesome you are and lost himself.” Lance explained surely.

“Oh, it’s okay, happens to a lot of ponies” Scootaloo said waving her hoof. "...what does mesmerized mean?"

“Alright Scoots you run off and do what you will I need to take our guest to his room.” Lance said grabbing me and dragging me towards the stairs.

Lance lead me upstairs and into the first room on the left. “Until you learn to make your own home from clouds, you are going to be crashing here.” He informed me showing a mostly empty room with a well-made bed.

“How long would it take me to learn that?” I asked, looking over the room again... it kind of smelled like turnips.

“About as long as it will take you to learn how to fly.” He informed me.

“...Well fuck.” I said, realizing that it might take a while.

“My sentiments exactly.” He agreed.

Author's Note:

Sleep is for the weak! :ajsleepy:

That's it... that is chapter nine, done and gone, all 20,612 words of it. Could you imagine one big chapter like that!?

School is starting back up so I don't know when ten will be coming out. Just stick around and we will see about releasing it before February.

So the pre February release...yea that isn't going to happen. I am working on it though.