• Published 5th Dec 2015
  • 424 Views, 8 Comments

The Long Dark - NeverEatTheLemonsAlone



I don't know what's going on. What is this place? Why is it here? How did it get here? And why does it feel so...familiar?

  • ...
 8
 424

Prologue

thump-thump

thump-thump

thump-thump

She was woken in the night by a throbbing, pulsing, thumping sound, like nothing she had ever heard before.

thump-thump

thump-thump

thump-thump

It came from the ground far below her, and she dove through her floor, spiraling down to the field that lay beneath her house, just east of Ponyville.

thump-thump

thump-thump

thump-thump

The sound was emanating from the ground beneath her hooves. The vibration rattled her bones. It was as though a great beast had come into being, and now its heartbeat was shaking the earth itself.

thump-thump

thump

Then just like that, it stopped.

Snorting in frustration and irritation at being woken up at such an unholy hour, she blasted off, soaring back up and into her house, soon falling asleep once more.

Beneath her, the earth was still and silent.

---

The following morning, she woke again, feeling much refreshed and writing off what had happened last night as a dream. Yawning briefly, she rose out of her bed and slowly trotted to the kitchen, quickly fixing herself a bite to eat. The advantage to living in a cloud home, she thought, is being able to chill food whenever you want.

Oh, she knew any moderately powerful unicorn could do one better, keeping food in full stasis, but all the same, it brought a small iota of pride to her for being a pegasus.

Once she had finished eating, she made her way to the door, eager to start the day. As she opened it, she noticed something.

Huh, she wondered, where's that ticking sound coming from?

It couldn't be her clock, she had tossed it a day and a half ago. So what was it?

As she followed the sound, she noticed with some consternation that it was growing more and more rapid. Something seemed familiar about it, but she couldn't quite put it together.

Then she realized, and dove desperately downwards.

She almost made it, too, before there was an enormous explosion and a purple flash blotted out her vision entirely. She felt intense burning, then freezing, and then nothing.

And then she fell.