• Published 29th Nov 2015
  • 477 Views, 11 Comments

The Canterlot Caper - Silvermyr



The Circus is a group of ponies shrouded in mystery. They are the best thieves in Equestria, and if you have money to pay, then they can get you whatever you want. Even something most ponies would consider impossible...

  • ...
2
 11
 477

Chapter eleven- Train Trickery

Flim all but collapsed on the couch in the train cart. He drew a relived and slow breath. Beside him, his brother sat down and opened the bag with the regalia. Both Suri and Trixie looked at it with eyes large as saucers as he laid it on the table, piece by piece. Ditzy looked at it from above with a curious expression. She didn’t seem bothered in the slightest by the fact that she had taken a miniature thunderbolt to the face a few minutes ago. Topsy’s eyes were still red from crying, but his look was now more confused than anything else. Filthy Rich was in the locomotive, steering the train.

”Well, that worked…” Flam said after a few minutes. ”Not exactly according to plan, but…”

”You shouldn’t have done that,” Ditzy said with a stern voice. ”What if Twilight hadn’t steered the airship away? What then? You could have flattened Sweet Apple Acres!”

”Easy there,” Flim said. ”Twilight defeated Tirek for Celestia’s sake. Of course she can levitate an airship. She probably didn’t even notice it.”

”She looked like she noticed it alright,” Suri said with a deadpan look. ”She looked ready to faint just from holding it up.”

”I seem to recall that we were somewhat preoccupied back there,” Flam said sarcastically. ”I wasn’t trying to crush the farm; I just did what I should according to our plan, dump the ship over the orchards. Not my fault Sparkle decided to meddle in my aim.”

”Whatever, it worked, right?” Flim said happily. ”And now there’s just one last piece of the puzzle left. Shall we get to it?”

”I can’t remember signing up for this when I joined you,” Suri said with a slightly nauseated face. She opened up one of the large bags they had picked up at Filthy’s mansion. Ditzy cringed, Flim looked somewhat creeped out and Trixie swallowed nervously. Only Flam and Topsy seemed unfazed.

The bodies spilled on the floor. One cream colored and one green earth pony, two unicorns and a pegasus. The five bodies were all washed and only recently deceased. Shadow Shovel had delivered like he was supposed to, and no problems had arisen, as it should be.

”Don’t worry, Ditzy,” Flam said with a peppy voice. ”If you can take a thunderbolt, then these guys aren’t really a threat.”

”How did you take the thunderbolt so well anyway?” Trixie asked and gratefully looked away from the bodies on the floor. ”Twilight Sparkle blacked out from a similar attack, but you look as feisty as always.”

Ditzy blushed deeply. ”I’m… used to lightning…” she said with a nervous but happy voice. ”I like bouncing on thunderclouds, they are so… bouncy. I dunno what, but sometimes things go wrong, like when I accidentally broke town hall.”

The ponies in the wagon shared a laugh.

”Okay, everypony!” Filthy Rich said from the door to the locomotive. He looked a little dazed and had a massive bruise on the forehead, but still managed a proud smile. ”The oncoming train is approaching. I imagine you have ten minutes or so. Get everything ready.”

”You heard!” Suri said with a commanding voice. ”Come and help me here!”

Filthy went back up to the engine and the others moved the dead bodies around the train cart to create such a believable setting as possible in the off chance there would be anything left. Two were sitting by a table opposite to one another, one stood by the door, one alone by another table and the last one in the middle of the wagon.

”That should work,” Flim said. ”Let’s get out of here.”

”Evening gentlecolts, and thank you for your help,” Flam nodded to the two bodies sitting against one another. Together The Circus left the wagon and made their way up to the engine where Filthy Rich leaned out of the window. The railroad to Canterlot had to snake its way up Mt. Celestia, and so had steep precipices on the left side and a cliff face to the right.

”Here it comes,” Filthy said slowly. ”Wait for it…” The rest of The Circus leaned out of some other windows. They clearly saw the front lights of the oncoming train, and a sharp glimmer of pink magic as Trixie’s delayed spells turned the steering wheel.

”Okay, now!” Filthy screamed after having rounded a curve. The two trains was now on a straight track segment. The ponies quickly retreated from the engine and leaped off the train into thin air, still in their wing suits. They were all but catapulted out in the wind thanks to the speed they were traveling in. Ditzy was the last to leave. She felt the wind ripping in her wings she tumbled about in the air. She was not used to fly this fast; slightest twitch of her wings sent her in a sharp curve.

The alien, high-speed flying lasted only for a few seconds before she oriented herself and flew straight. She turned around just as the two trains collided. The scream of metal against metal resounded through the air. She covered her ears to shut the sharp sound out. The train they had been on was forced away from the tracks in a shower of sparks. It flew down the cliff, tumbling violently and scattering pieces everywhere. The other train had been forced off the tracks the other way, and collided with the face of the mountain. It turned and twisted with a screeching sound so it slid perpendicular on the tracks and then flipped but continued rolled on the tracks before it finally stopped, badly mangled. Slowly it slid of the tracks and down the cliff.

Ditzy hovered and looked at the violent display. It was exciting somehow. She knew there was nopony (alive) on either train, so she wasn’t worried about anypony. She saw the rest of The Circus gliding away from the ”accident”, and followed. They landed further up and on the tracks themselves. Everypony was careful not to step on the soil, as that would leave hoofprints.

”Okay,” Flam said. ”That should put us in the clear. Nopony can have survived a crash like that.”

”No, especially if they were already dead,” Filthy Rich pointed out. The ponies snickered.

”Now, then,” Flam said and everypony’s eyes turned to him. ”Let’s make our way back to Canterlot. My brother and I will ’take care’ of The Illusionist. The rest of you, go to Fancypants' and stay put until my brother and I come, or you are captured.”

”WHAT!?” Trixie screamed, horrified. ”CAPTURED!? TRIXIE WON’T BE CAPTURED, AND SHE WILL NOT GO BACK TO CANTERLOT! THAT’S WERE THEY WILL LOOK FIRST!”

”Exactly,” Flam explained calmly. ”But you are innocent. We have just been sitting in Fancypants’ residence all night, playing poker and discussing a business venture. Bon-Bon will capture you and present some witness who will tell a near unbelievable story about, among other things, Ditzy the master thief and a dead Wonderbolt. Also, I seem to recall that both Sparkle, Coco and Rarity have some… less than pleasant history with some of us. If we play our cards right, no court will believe them, especially if we bring an alibi, being Fancypants, who has his reasons for wanting us to walk free.”

”But then he will know our real names,” Filthy pointed out. ”That’s not good at all.”

”True,” Flam agreed with a serious voice. ”But thanks to Blueblood’s stunt, we don’t have much of a choice. We can’t have somepony we can’t always trust on our team, so he has to go. Besides, if Fancypants tattle on us, he will be locked up too when we tell about his part in it all. He won’t do that.”

”But then who will have crashed the airship?” Trixie asked. ”Our getaway left some… pretty obvious clues, so to speak.”

”That part we don’t have to change from the original plan,” Flam explained. ”those dead guys can still cover for us.” He nodded towards the now burning train wreck. ”Some shadowy experts whose bodies sadly were so damaged they couldn’t be identified. The Circus took the secrets of who they were with them to the grave, all save for Blueblood. Makes much more sense than a showpony, a fashionista, a mailmare, the richest stallion in Ponyville, a dead Wonderbolt and two salesponies nonpareil.”

”Speaking of which,” Flim interjected. ”Topsy, we will leave the regalia with you. Hide in the Everfree forest until this is over. We will find you at the usual place once all is taken care of.”

Topsy nodded.

”We will have to rely on Blueblood’s secrecy forever…” Suri mumbled. ”Don’t you think he will turn us in if anypony offers something he wants? I don’t want to look over my shoulder for the rest of my life, m’kay?”

”Me neither, so we will make an offer he just can’t refuse,” Flam mused. ”And, as a bonus, his trustworthiness will go down the drain. We won’t have to worry, trust me.”

”What is this offer that he can’t refuse?” Suri asked curiously.

”You will see,” Flam said dismissively.

As Trixie listened to Flam’s cool reasoning, she could only think ”asinine”. But this was not the first time she had thought so about his plans. In fact, it was more common to think his plans mad than not. She sighed, dejected. ”Why did he botch up like this?” Trixie whimpered. ”We would be in the clear if not for him.”

”I know,” Flam said tiredly. ”But he leaves us no choice. Trust my brother and me; we will make sure he keeps his royal mouth shut. Else, at least we shall give you a chance to kick his royal behind.”

”Trixie will hold you to that promise,” Trixie said darkly. ”And if you fail, she will make both yours and his lives miserable.”

”Deal!” Flim and Flam said mirthfully in unison. ”Let’s hop to it!”

With a spring in their step, the unicorn twins trotted up the tracks while balancing on the metal rails. Trixie looked after them sighed again before following her friends. If nothing else she was tired, and Fancypants should have a soft bed befitting the Great and Apologetic… scratch that, Great and Powerful Trixie.

*****

Blueblood had never experienced anything like this. It was just absurd, impossible and unheard of. He, the Prince of Canterlot, heir to Princess Platinum, the highest noble in Equestria and best dressed pony in the history of the universe, had been ditched like a lowly servant. The nerve of those blasted brothers! Did they for a moment think THEY could tell HIM what to do!?

”I should just call for the guard,” Blueblood mumbled to himself as he went home. ”Might be worth it, just to show those swines who I am.” A cat crossed his path, and Blueblood flung it aside with his magic. ”But I assume there is no harm in hearing them out,” he continued to himself. ”If they do get me all i want…”

His thought process was interrupted by another cat. Blueblood froze in fear. This cat was black, and it had just crossed the street in front of him. He shivered and looked around for trouble, but couldn’t see anything apparent. That made him even more anxious. It was bad enough that he had bled earlier, something he had always been afraid of, but to get even more misfortune made his situation downright dangerous. Blueblood quickened his pace.

For the first time in his life he almost envied the ”lesser creatures” who had their houses further down the city. He really didn’t like to be out tonight, not when it was clear that the stars had aligned in a malevolent way. Blueblood made a mental note to kick his astrologer, who had promised good tidings for tonight. But first he had to get back to his home, in the highest reaches of the city.

As Blueblood was approaching his luxurious mansion, he came to an annoying conclusion. If he went straight there, then he would have gone home on thirteen streets total. He took an extra turn up a street that would lead him past his mansion. It would take him a few minutes longer, but he really had no choice. Any more misfortune and he could as well call the undertaker. ”Of all places I had to land on, of course it had to be one thirteen streets from home.” Blueblood made a mental note to sue his astrologer for malpractice.

Finally he arrived at his wrought iron gate, and was annoyed that no servant stood ready to open it. It was only about one A.M, why was there no pony here to greet him? His nincompoop-servants should be ready to attend him at every second of the millennia; sleeping was not an excuse. They lived to serve him, for Blueblood’s sake! Blueblood made a mental note to have his astrologer banished.

He seriously considered simply standing outside the door until the morning came, so that he could scold his lazy servant for notes. In the end, though, he realized that this would come at the expense of not sleeping in his princess-sized, hoof made bed, filled with swan feathers. That was not worth it. Blueblood pushed the gate open with his magic and strode up to the mansion. He was careful not to step on the cracks between the tiles, and also made a mental note to have his astrologer thrown in a dungeon in the place he was banished to.

”SILVER PLATTER!” Blueblood growled up to the window. His servants should be in there, and he was about to show them the error of their ways. An orange pegasus with a rust red mane opened the window and looked down. ”Get down here five minutes ago and open the door! Bring one hay of an apology too!” Blueblood called before the pegasus had opened his mouth.

The pegasus disappeared and the door opened after a few seconds. Blueblood went into the darkened vestibule and fixed the servant with a withering glare. ”Awaken the others,” he hissed. ”I want my customary three course meal, in my bed, right now. Understood?”

”Pardon, my Prince,” Silver Platter said tentatively. He twisted under the Prince’s baleful gaze. ”The day-servants had already left when the storm broke loose, and those who are supposed to be here at night didn’t show up. I’m the only one here…”

Blueblood closed his eyes and muttered some innovative curses, both at the servants, Flim, Flam, his aunt, Silver Platter, and everything else beneath the sun. ”Get me some sherry. Then every servant in this mansion will have their employment terminated. NOW GET ME MY SHERRY!”

Silver platter did not stop to ask if he just had been fired, but instead flew down to the extensive wine cellar faster than the eyes could follow.

Blueblood snorted at the pegasus and went up to his bedroom. Every floor in his hose was made from one massive stone slab, so he didn’t have to avoid cracks. The Prince sat down in a large, soft chair by his mahogny desk. He had to make some plan for how he wanted to handle The Equilibrist, provided they came in the first place.

He hardly noted that Silver Platter sat the glass of sherry down beside him and then left. He was lost in thought.

Blueblood had the upper hoof; of that he was pretty certain. He did not have to care wether or not he was arrested, but Flim and Flam did. They should not have any hold on him; they needed his silence, and he could sell it expensively. Flam had already tempted with twelve point five million which, combined with his initial share, would give him more money than even he could hope to spend. And Blueblood could always go to the guard after they had paid up.

But then there was Flam’s final statement. ”A scene to fulfill his dream.” Did Flam actually know Blueblood’s dream? Did he know why he joined their silly outfit in the first place? Normally, he would immediately have answered no, but he had seen first hoof that Flam was one intelligent pony when he really put his mind to something. Was it possible that he had figured it out?

If so, then it was definitely an interesting proposal. But he had to confirm that Flim and Flam really knew what they were talking about before making up his mind.

Blueblood mulled over his possibilities for hours, before a light tap on his window disturbed him. He looked up with an annoyed scowl, but only the black parrot looked back. Prankster pecked again. Blueblood sighed and opened the window with his magic.

The bird flew in and landed on his bedside table. Before the Prince even had a chance to shoo the nasty critter away, a grappling hook flew through his window, and two easily recognizable ponies followed in short order.

”So you did show up after all?” Blueblood asked with an uninterested voice. ”I was half expecting you to run away.”

”Sorry for being late,” Flim said casually. ”We expected you to be at the guard barracks, so we went there first.”

”Good to see that we were wrong,” Flam continued. ”Shall we get down to business?”

”I’m waiting,” Blueblood replied irritably. ”Give a suggestion, preferably one that made this wait worth it.”

”Where are your manners?” Flim asked with an annoyingly forgiving smile. ”It is customary to offer your guests something to drink, isn’t it?”

”Our relation is business, not friendship,” Blueblood reminded cooly. ”And your behavior tonight does not help your course in that regard. Just say what you came to say and then get lost.”

”Fine by me,” Flam answered.

The room was silent.

”Well?” Blueblood and Flam said in unison, both their voices equally annoyed.

”My proposition, Illusionist, what do you think?” Flam asked impatiently. ”Is there anything else you would like to add?”

”Indeed,” Blueblood replied. ”I have been thinking, and I don’t think you know any of my desires. So, I think I want more money instead.”

Flam chuckled. ”So you don’t think I know? Well, let’s analyze you for a little bit. Maybe I can figure you out?”

”First of all,” Flam continued casually without waiting for a reply. ”You are the Prince of Canterlot. Last descendant of Princess Platinum herself.”

”Such a title ought to come with great responsibility and even greater glory,” Flim continued with a look of mock complementation. ”Your title is the same as the Princesses themselves, after all. You are one of the five rulers of this land.”

”But what have you been doing lately?” Flam put a hoof to his head and pretended to think hard. ”What laws have you passed? What ceremonies have you preceded over? What dignitaries have you welcomed?”

Flim and Flam both looked at Blueblood who was grinding his teeth in anger. ”None,” the said in unison, and Blueblood had a hard time stopping himself from strangling the filthy peasants.

”You know what I think?” Flim asked. ”I think that you, somepony who is so certain of his superiority, who considers himself so far above everypony else, who is so perfect in every way…”

”… would hate to be constantly stepped on, constantly ignored, constantly dismissed as a mere figurehead, constantly reminded that your title only is a relic from the past. I think you hate those who have stopped you from claiming the place you think you deserve.” Flam finished.

The mustached brother went up to Blueblood and looked him straight in the eye. ”I think that the reason you joined us, and was so insistent on taking this particular mission, was because it was a way to get back on the one you hate, the one who represent all your chagrin…”

”A chance to get back at Celestia, your aunt.”

Blueblood stared at the two brothers. He didn’t know what to feel. Should he be angry that they just listed of all his shortcomings, happy that somepony understood him, confused at how well they knew him or bitter that they figured out his secret so easily?

”I don’t think you care about much more than your revenge and your comfort,” Flam said. ”So, here is my proposition: you get your share of the Canterlot Caper, plus mine and Topsy’s. In return, you will…”

Blueblood’s jaw fell on the floor when Flam had explained. That plan was…

…It was…

He still had his lineage.

”Done.”

*****

Twilight had woken up in Applejack’s bed three nights ago, with five near paniked friends around her. She and Rarity had been bombarded with questions, but, much to their friends’ dismay, not answered. Bon-Bon still counted on their secrecy. As soon as she managed to escape Granny Smith’s breakfast, she and Rarity had taken the first train to Canterlot, where Bon-Bon already had caught The Circus. Due to how peaceful everyday life was in Equestria, and the severity of the crime, it had been decided that a court should be held only two days from then.

Most of that time Twilight and Rarity spent in Canterlot, trying to gather as much information as possible, as well as reading up a bit on equestrian law. Also, due to the memory-altering properties of The Circus’s darts, Twilight had helped reconstruct Bon-Bon’s and Coco’s memories from Celestia’s tower. Celestia’s own memory of the incident however, was completely blank. She had simply gotten to much hypnotic to remember anything, even with Twilight’s help. Even now, days after, she was still very tired.

The Circus, minus Topsy, had been kept locked up (together, in order to prepare their defense) and under constant guard. Twilight had noted that they did send letters to somepony. Letters she was not allowed to see.

Right now, she, Rarity and Bon-Bon stood outside the door to the courtroom and looked at the minute hand. ”Think we will win?” Twilight asked nervously.

”I sure hope so,” Bon-Bon said grimly. ”But I have been on the verge of catching them before, and yet they have somehow escaped. Still, I believe we have a good chance.”

The massive doors opened and the three ponies entered. They went past rows with journalists and ponies who for various reasons had been summoned. Twilight spotted Coco Pommel in the crowd and gave her a reassuring smile. She looked nervous.

They came into a more open space. In the front, behind an elevated podium, sat Canterlot’s High Judge, named Silver Wig. He was an elderly earth pony who, despite his name, had a coarse black mane matching his long robes perfectly. Beside him laid the small gavel, and behind him in a semicircle sat the twelve ponies of the jury, four from each race.

To Silver Wig’s right was the bench of the accused, now occupied by all the members of The Circus, except for Topsy. Twilight contently noted that Trixie, Suri and Ditzy looked like they might have a panic attack at any moment, Filthy Rich seemed uneasy, but relatively collected. Blueblood just looked bored.

Flim and Flam though, looked as smug as always. Twilight furrowed her brow. That was unsettling. After greeting the High Judge, they made their way to the other side of the room,to the prosecutor’s bench.

Silver Wig took up the gavel and banged it once, immediately silencing the courtroom.

”The gavel has fallen. The court is in session. Justice will be upheld. An irrevocable judgement shall be placed upon thee here and now.” Silver Wig recited the famous Equestrian law clause which had signaled the opening of any court since the time of the unification.

Everypony in the room bent their neck to the High Judge, as was customary.

”Prosecutors, come forth,” Silver Wig pointed to Twilight. Bon-Bon rose from the bench.

”The accusations are as follows, High Judge,” Bon-Bon said with a mature voice, ”The prosecuted have, the night three days ago, broken into our revered Princess Celestia’s room, assaulted her and stolen her regalia. In addition, they have kidnapped my good friend Rarity and kept her in custody against her will.”

Silver Wig nodded. ”The court hears and understands.” He turned to the accused, which practically meant Flim and Flam, as everypony else sat in various degrees of crippling anxiety. ”Prosecuted, come forth.”

”Denial?” Flim asked his brother.

”Denial,” and Flam replied the moment after.

”Denial is fine,” they both said in unison.

”The court hears and understand,” Silver Wig said, somewhat surprised by their peculiar way of answering. ”Prosecutors, please present your evidence.”

”It is known that the regalia is gone,” Bon-Bon began stiffly. ”Based on these,” Bon-Bon handed a paper to a lackey who stood by her bench. ”Celestia writes that she was indeed assaulted and put to sleep. Due to the nature of the hypnotic, she is unable to remember the faces of the assailants, but when she woke up, the regalia was gone. Somepony must have stolen it.”

Bon-Bon looked towards Flim and Flam, who listened attentively, ears picked up and directed to her. When they didn’t object, she continued. ”I summon Coco Pommel to the stand as a witness.”

”The court hears and consents,” Silver Wig said stoically and banged the gavel. ”You who have been called, approach.” Coco Pommel scuffed herself forward to the podium in the middle of the room. She swallowed nervously and looked up to the judge. He sat still.

A few moments of silence later, Silver Wig seemed to pick up on Coco’s uncertainness and gestured to her. ”You may speak. What do you know?”

”W-well,” Coco began nervously, and recalled Bon-Bon’s hints: speak shortly and clearly. Only the most necessary the first time, details later if you are asked. Be calm, and whatever you do, stick to the truth. ”About a week ago, in Manehattan…” Coco began and told the judge everything, from the night in her apartment to what little she could remember from Celestia’s bedroom.

”The court hears and understands,” Silver Wig said neutrally when she was finished. ”Prosecuted, do you have anything to say?”

”Yes, actually,” Flim said. He stood up and looked at Coco with a forgiving expression. ”Miss Pommel, do you mean to say that the reason you hold my brother and me for guilty, is because this… Equilibrist figure broke into your apartment, and then in the tower you think you maybe recall something similar to the vicinity of me maybe saying something in the lines of being the Equilibrist?”

Coco pommel turned to Flim with an accusing look. ”’My fiends, I may or may not have botched up’, that’s what you said when I called your name.”

”You think,” Flam interjected calmly. ”I have read the medical report, and large doses of the hypnotic was found in your bloodstream. According to morden medicine, you should not remember much of what happened very clearly.”

Flim continued. ”It is almost like you made it all up just to frame us,” Flim laughed his horribly annoying laugh. ”But why would you want to do that?”

”Of course not, brother of mine, it’s not like she holds a grudge against anyone of us,” Flam said with a small smile. As in magic, his smile disappeared and was replaced by a hard expression ”Oh, right…”

Flam hoofed the lackey at his side a small folder.

”That is a documentation that Miss Pommel has worked for Miss Suri Polomare, and that they did not exactly leave on the best terms,” Flim explained.

”She wanted me to cheat for her during Fashion Week!” Coco called with a hurt voice.

For a moment Flam had a predatory smile on his lips, but he hid it quickly. ”Irrelevant,” he said cooly. ”What is important is that you seem to remember much more than normal for those subjected to the hypnotic, and you seem to dislike Miss Polomare. Furthermore, I find it hard to believe that a criminal of this, for the lack of a better word, skill, would let you know who he or she was, just like that.”

”True,” Flim chimed in. ”Such a beginner’s mistake does not seem likely for these guys, does it? While on the subject, you said they wore masks in your apartment and when they kidnapped Rarity? But, in the tower they didn’t?” Flim chuckled and leaned back. ”Makes sense.”

”You know what I think?” Flam said with a sinister voice. ”I don’t think you remember anything, but your friend Rarity really wanted you to remember… I think you two made some things up when you realized you might take revenge on a pony you both dislike.”

”NO!” Coco screamed with tears in her eyes, ”I’d never do that! Rarity either!”

”Prove it,” Flam said cooly.

”The court hears and understand the objections,” Silver Wig interrupted sharply. Flam bent his neck in an apologetic gesture. ”Prosecutors, proceed.”

Rarity suppressed the urge to grab Flim and Flam’s heads with her magic and bash them together. How could they do something like this to Coco? The poor mare had practically been shivering when she went up to testify, and Flim and Flam had descended on her like two vultures. Coco was not prepared to defend her claims, she was just there to tell her side of the story. Flim and Flam however, had methodically picked her story appart, making her look like the villain. To think they could sit up there with smug expressions and blatantly lie to the highest legal authority in Equestria. The nerve… Rarity felt her cheeks heat up.

Bon-Bon rose from the bench and went forward to the podium. She spoke shortly and effectively with the same type of language one might expect in a police report. She told the High Judge of her scuffle with Ditzy in Rarity’s kitchen, the capture of Suri Polomare and what she remembered from Celestia’s room. She ended by explaining their escape.

”The court hears and understands,” Silver Wig said slowly, eyeing Bon-Bon with badly masked interest. This was likely the most interesting trial he had ever preceded over. ”Prosecuted, do you have anything to say? ”

”Excuse me, but this is getting ridiculous,” Flam said as if he expected somepony to tell him it all was a bad joke. ”Do you mean to tell me that Ditzy, Ditzy Doo, mailmare of Ponyville, is one of the most skilled criminals in Equestria?” Ditzy blushed deeply and hid behind her hooves. Trixie kicked her subtly under their bench. Flam took no notice. ”For Celestia’s sake, do you even know her, Miss Bon-Bon?! No way she could do half the things you claim she can, and especially not conjure up a twister like the one on the night in question! Nopony can do that alone! Hay, not even the Wonderbolt elite squad can!”

”Funny you should mention The Wonderbolts,” Bon-Bon said venomously. ”Where is Topsy anyway, Equilibrist?”

Flam looked at Bon-Bon like she had confessed her undying love to him in the middle of open court. His mouth was slightly open, his eyes wide, and he seemed to have paused in the middle of a breath. ”Soo…” he began tentatively. ”Not only are you accusing Ditzy, not only do you believe that the twister was summoned, but you also believe that… we, I guess, had the help of… Topsy Twitchy?” Flam facehoofed. ”Where do I even begin with this…?”

”Allow me to help, brother. I’ve got a newsflash,” Flim said with an excessively clear and loud voice, ”Topsy was declared dead years ago. Begin there. Shouldn’t be to hard to unravel the rest of this… whatever I can call it.”

Bon-Bon cursed her stupidity. She should not have brought up Topsy here. The Circus’s plan was very well planned, not only during the execution, but also for this. If you hadn’t followed their escapades and seen what they were capable of, then the story must seem near unreal. If she wanted to win this, she had to focus on the logical parts. She should focus on why it must be Flam and the others. How it was done would have to be solved and proved later.

”And what about Suri?” Bon-Bon asked like she hadn’t heard Flim’s interjection.

”I actually wondered about that myself,” Suri said from behind Flam. Bon-Bon noted that her voice was a little more shrill than usual. ”You haven’t told me why I was arrested. You just came one day and… and locked me up!”

”Answer the question,” Bon-Bon said stiffly. ”How did you escape?”

”You answer my question, what was I locked up for!?” Suri replied with a much less controlled voice.

”For suspicion of helping The Circus. How did you escape?” Bon-Bon said cooly. There was no point in referring back to her interrogation of Suri; they would only lie and say that everything was fabricated.

”I arranged it.”

Everypony’s look turned to Blueblood. He looked snidely around the room and chuckled softly. ”My my, it’s been a pleasure to listen to all you filthy peasants bickering. But all good things must come to an end. It was me.”

In the silence that followed, one could hear a feather fall to the ground.

”S-speak,” Silver Wig said with a shocked voice.

”Didn’t you hear me, peasant? ” Blueblood asked with a demeaning look. ”I did it. When I heard Suri had been arrested, I arranged for her to be broken out of prison. I wanted the foolish, predictable agent to think she was involved. Then she would go search for Suri, instead of looking anyplace important.” Blueblood took a deep breath and basked in the eyes of everypony in the room.

”It was me all along,” he said. ”I planned the coup, I distributed the assignments, I removed the guards from the castle, I put my wretched aunt to sleep and stole her symbol of power. Power that should be mine by birthright!” The Prince ended his statement with a powerful stomp.

Blueblood looked around and smiled. Oh, how he had waited for this. Oh, how he had waited for the day when he could show the world who he was. This was the day, this was the moment when the world would know that he was the most clever pony there was. Now they would know that he was far more fit to rule, far more worthy of adoration and respect than his aunt ever was. He had finally stepped out of Celestia’s shadow, and claimed rightful his place in the sun.

And it felt wonderful.

”Let me tell you everything, lesser creatures. Let me tell you how I outwitted you all…”

”… and that’s when they betrayed me, stole the regalia and left. They took the prepared airship to Ponyville, switched to a train and tried to return here to hide. But the swines didn’t know that an extra train was on the track. They derailed and died,” Blueblood finished theatrically, nearly an hour later.

He turned to the rest of The Circus and spoke in a low, threatening voice. ”And if you ever try to capitalize on my ingenuity, if you ever try to pass my plans for yours again, then… not even Celestia will be able to save you.”

”We will make sure we are never arrested for being criminal masterminds again, if that’s what you are asking,” Flam said dryly.

Bon-Bon shook with rage. They had planned this. They would get away! THEY WOULD GET AWAY! ”YOU LIE!” She screamed and tried to leap at Blueblood. She didn’t know what she hoped to accomplish, but she knew it would feel much better if she could beat him up. She didn’t even get one ponylength before several guards pinned her down with their magic.

”High Judge Silver Wig!” Twilight said with a pleading voice. ”Please listen to our story. The true story.”

Silver Wig looked like he woke up from a nap the moment he heard his name. ”Ahh… the court hears and understands…” he said in utter shock. He looked uncertainly to Bon-Bon. ”P-prosecutors, proceed. ”

Twilight knew this was their last chance. She took a deep breath the way Cadence had taught her, and began to speak. She and Rarity told the judge everything they had experienced these last few days. Each and every little detail. It took a few hours, and even the members of the Circus listened attentively.

”The court hears and understands,” Silver Wig said slowly. ”Prosecuted, do you have anything to say?”

”I wish to call our alibi,” Flam said stiffly. ”I can’t understand why you are so bent on locking us up, miss Sparkle, but this farce has gone on for long enough.”

”The court hears and consents. You who have been called, approach.”

Twilight gasped when she saw Fancypants rise up. He was involved too? How, just HOW did they get everypony on their side? The noblestallion looked at Flam with an expressionless face. ”It is true, esteemed High Judge,” he said with a politically correct tone. ”Trixie, Ditzy, Suri, Filthy, Flim and Flam were indeed at my residence the evening in question. Mr. Filthy and I were discussing a business venture in the fashion industry. Flim, Flam and Suri were there as consultants, Trixie is a close friend of mine, and Ditzy the same for Mr. Filthy.”

”Mr. Rich,” Filthy silently corrected with a tired voice. ”I’m changing my name…”

”And is there anypony who can vouch for your claims?” Silver Wig asked.

”My staff and wife most certainly will, esteemed High Judge,” Fancypants bent his neck respectfully.

”Anything else, prosecuted?” Silver Wig said neutrally.

”Nothing,” Flam said.

”Prosecutors?” Silver Wig turned to Twilight.

She thought as hard as she could. There must be something she could say, something that could ensure that The Circus finally was caught.

She came up blank. Slowly did she shake her head.

Silver Wig banged the gavel. ”The Council of the Tribes is now in session.”

Silver wig and the twelve ponies behind him all rose up and filed out the ornate silver doors in the back of the room. Now Twilight had done all she could. Now she could only wait for the final ruling.

Silence settled over the courtroom. It stretched on… half an hour… one hour… two… or maybe it was just a few minutes. There was something with the air that filled everypony with respect and anxiety. Judgment would fall here and now, and someponies’ lives would never be the same again. The Circus, Twilight and her friends, the guards, and the ponies who were here for some other reason, all looked at the silver doors behind the now vacant judge seat as if they by sheer willpower could hurry the process up.

”We will be free, right?” Ditzy asked Flam with a small and frightful voice. Her veering eyes was filled with worry.

”Of course,” Flam said with a confident voice. ”You will be home eating muffins to your heart’s content in just a few hours. Promise.”

”I hope you are right,” Filthy Rich said with a foreboding voice.

”Trust us,” Flim said simply. ”Have we ever let you down?”

Filthy shook his head slowly.

”Exactly,” Flam said. ”Hey, how about we all get the most expensive spa treatment bits can buy after this? And some food and muffins to go with it? I need to relax…”

”Trixie… would like that too, yes,” Trixie said without her normal peppiness.

The doors opened. Silver Wig and the twelve ponies behind him took their seats again. Everypony stiffened and looked at the thirteen ponies.

”Unlucky number,” Blueblood thought with a sudden rush of worry. What if they had changed the laws and he was not aware of it? What if he was sent to jail? He could not go to jail, stripes looked horrible on him! Silver Wig banged the gavel, interrupting the Prince’s worries.

”Prince Blueblood is sentenced to imprisonment, until the revered Princess Celestia sees fit to grant him mercy of any kind. Let it be known that from now and until the end of time, he is a convicted criminal.” Silver Wig spoke loudly over the room. Blueblood swallowed, but seemed otherwise unaffected.

”Flim, Flam, Suri Polomare, Ditzy Doo, Filthy Rich and Trixie Lulamoon are freed under the condition that none of them are to leave Equestria. Also, they are required to inform the nearest government official of their daily works and lives for three months from now on. Let it be known that they, until further notice, are innocent.”

Twilight listened without hearing.

They had lost.

The Circus had escaped.

That punishment was a way for Equestrian authorities to keep track of possible criminals, but it only rarely did anything. The Circus had probably been payed enough for their grandchildren to retire, so they wouldn’t have to commit any more crimes. No more crimes meant no new evidence, and no new evidence meant that The Circus would never answer for what they had done.

Twilight felt a lump in her throat. Her eyes began to water. She never though she would cry because of this, but now she had a hard time suppressing it. She had done so much, come so far and gotten through it. She, Rarity and Bon-Bon had put their lives on the line for this. But Silver Wig’s ruling dashed near all their work. The only thing they could show for all their ordeals would be Blueblood. Most of The Circus would get away.

It just felt… unfair. More so than she thought was possible. With a hollow heart she looked up at her opponents.

Flim and Flam high-hoofed and Ditzy looked like she might cry from happiness. The others were in various degrees of daze. Blueblood rose from his bench.

”Objection,” he said angrily. Twilight felt fear grip he heart. Did he hold yet another ace? Would he too go free?

No. No, he couldn’t. For the love of Celestia, please let them take at least one! They had to take at least one. THEY HAD TO! THEY MUST HAVE SOMETHING FOR ALL THEIR HARDSHIPS!

”On what bases?” Silver Wig asked the Prince.

”Article one, clause one in the first codex,” Blueblood said calmly, referring to a passage in the Equestrian statute book. ”From this day forth, let none of those who bear my name and title be scourged by the hammer of justice. We are the Unicorns. We are justice itself. Such is our decree, for all to obey.

Blueblood finished his recitation. ”Princess Platinum’s lineage law. An old and rarely used law, but never repealed. I am the last of Platinum’s line, and I hold her title, so the law prevents me from being imprisoned,” Blueblood smirked smugly. ”I can, at most, be placed under constant watch.”

Silver Wig beckoned a lackey. ”Bring me the codex.” The lackey scurried off. The entire court sat stunned. Twilight stared at Blueblood in utter shock. How could a law like that exist? Why had it never been repealed?

Silver Wig looked through the thick book. Twilight choked back a sob when he nodded slowly. ”The court hears and consents. Prince Blueblood is, due to his heritage, sentenced to constant guard until Princess Celestia herself sees fit to grant him mercy. Let it be known that from now and until the end of time, he is a convicted criminal.”

The room fell silent. Silver Wig spoke again.

”The Gavel has fallen. Order is upheld. Justice is done!” Silver Wig declared. The phrase as old as Equestrian law itself marked the end of the trial. The gavel fell one last time. Twilight felt as if her heart was crushed under it.

Author's Note:

Bonus info!

The Linage Law was inspired by an actual law here in Sweden. Our King can not be arrested nor sentenced in a court. I thought that was fitting for Blueblood, being the annoying guy he is.

As usual, comments and corrections are more than welcome. See you in the last chapter. :pinkiesmile: