• Published 16th Nov 2015
  • 278 Views, 2 Comments

The dark past of AppleJack - BlearyROBIN



AppleJack might seem to have a great life, but very few knows about her harsh past and the pain she feels inside when she looks at Apple bloom. In this story we will follow Applejack and her sister through an unforgiving war.

  • ...
 2
 278

Chapter 3: Birth and Death

After a great day and receiving wonderful news from her mom about her sister, it was time to go home. Applejack, Big Mac and her father was almost home, they were walking on the old dirt road back to the house, it was almost midnight and the night sky was clear and beautiful. The stars were unusually bright.

Applejack was looking up to the stars the whole way home. "It sure is beautiful, ain`t it?" she said.

"Eyyyupp" Big Mac replied and let out a big yawn.

Their father looked up and saw a shooting star. "Look!" he said, "A shootin` star, Ya`ll wish something, quick, but quiet."

Big Mac wished that he would have a darn good night sleep.

Applejack looked up to the sky with her big green eyes. "I wish my sister will be a healthy baby and the war will be short. And I also wish our economy will be better." Their economy have been going downhill lately, the growth of carrots, corn and apples has been harsh this year. They`ve had trouble selling it. They also had to put a lot of money into the funeral of their grandpa who had died of an heart attack earlier this year.

Applejack saw a big star right above them. She looked at it and started to smile. "Ya`ll remember how granpa used to say that when ponies passed away they turned into a star that would watch over their family?" She asked as she looked at the star. "I bet that`s granpa right there, watchin` over us." she said and pointed her hoof at the star.

Their father looked at it and smiled. "Yes, I reckon he`s smilin` at us right now and is waitin`for his grand child to come to life. Rest in peace old man." he said and put his hat to his chest.

Big Mac looked at the star and let out a sad sigh. "I can`t believe he`s been gone for so long already. I still remember when he threw out that burglar that broke into our house in the middle of the night. Hell of a man. He protected the farm better than any guard dog ever could."

"Hell of a drinker too." Their father said. "He was a good man, i just wish he would have calmed down with the Whiskey and that Moonshine of his."

Applejack looked at her father. "Come on Pa. You know he wasn`t well after the great war. I ain`t justifyin`drinkin`. But it did help him think of other things."

"Maybe, i don`t know. Ol`granny Smith was`nt too happy about him when he was drinkin`." Her father replied.

"I guess not. But he was the best grandpa one could ask for. He taught me so many things."

Her father looked at her with a smile. "You was his little princess. You were with him everywhere, he even took you with him to his work when you were a filly. You were helpin` him on the fields cuttin` hay and planting corn."

Applejack smiled and looked at the star. "Rest in peace grandpa."


They finally got to their house, their father opened the and they all stepped in.

"I can`t wait to hop into bed..." Big Mac said with a tired voice.

"Let`s sleep. Only 2 days left for the baby to come, so we better get some good sleep." Their father said.

Applejack started to head upstairs. "You said it Pa. Goodnight y`all!" She said as she walked up the stairs.

"Goodnight Applejack!" they replied.

Applejack went into the bathroom and grabbed her toothbrush. She went on brushing her teeth and later she went into bed.

"2 days... I have waited for so long to see you. This will be the best thing ever." she said and then she slowly fell asleep.




She woke up by something that sounded like arguing. She sat up and tried to listen to what was going on. But she could`nt make sense of what was going on. She got out of the bed and started to walk downstairs.


"Ya can`t force me! I`m goin` to have a baby soon ya cold bastards!" her father yelled at someone.

"We`re terribly sorry sir. But the princess needs all men on the front lines. Your leg is battle worthy. We will give you 10 minutes to pack up and say goodbye to your kids." She heard a voice say.

"Pa? What is going on?" She asked her father.

Her father looked at her and hugged her. "I have to go to the army."

"What?" Applejack could feel her heart ache. It felt like a knife penetrated it. "Can`t you tell them that you`re expecting a baby soon?"

Her father looked at her with a sad look. "I`m sorry sugar, but they don`t care. I have to go." He shed a tear and put his old cowboy hat on Applejacks head. "Here, i know you`ve always liked this hat. It`s now yours."

Applejack started to cry. "Please Pa. We can`t do this without you, we need you..." She hugged her father and held him tightly, she tried to make him unable to move.

"Please Applejack. I ain`t callin` the shots about this. If I ain`t goin` then I will be framed as a traitor and they will put me in jail and take our farm." he said.

"Big MacIntosh. You are now the man in the house, son. Ya understand?"

Big Mac tried his hardest to hold his tears back. "I understand Pa. I won`t let you down."


"Come here Y`all." their father gave them a big hug and kept them in his arm for a while.

"I love Y`all so much. I`m so proud of Y`all." he said to them.

The soldiers came back into the hall and said it was time to go.

"It`s time to go. Hurry up soldier!" One of the soldier said with a disrespectful voice.

Their father stood up and looked the soldiers. "It ain`t like i got a darn choice now is it?. This is my family right here, Y`all take a good look at `em. Y`all darn office rats are callin`out fathers to fight those wars of Y`all`s and make kids fatherless. At least give me some more time with `em."


The soldiers went quiet. Applejacks and Big Macs father was one hell of a man and fighter. He does`nt care if you`re the King or a General. Disrespect his family or piss him off in any way and he will knock you out and stand his ground. He loved his kids more than life itself.


He then turned to Applejack and Big Mac again. "Take care of Ma and the baby now, Y`all hear?" he said with a sad voice. He was on the brink of crying.

"We won`t let you down Pa." Applejack said as she wiped away her tears. "I love you. Please be careful out there." she said.

"I will. I love you too sugar!" He said as he backed away from the house.

He got up on the wagon and started to ride away from the house. He turned around to see his kids one last time. They were standing besides each-other infront of the front porch.

"Now what?" Big Mac said with a sad voice.

"We need to tell Ma about this." Applejack replied as she tried wipe away the tears from her chin.

"I`ll tell her." Big Mac replied.


Big Mac walked inside to grab the key to the door. Applejack went to the bathroom to blow her nose and wash her face with water real quick.

She walked out to her brother on the front porch.

"Ya ready?" He asked her.

"I think so" Applejack replied.

"Everything will be alright. Pa will be home again in no-time" Big Mac said and put his hoof on her shoulder.

Applejack tried to smile but she could`nt. She just looked at her brother.

Big Mac locked the door and they started to walk towards the hospital.


When they got into the city they both stopped for a while. The whole city was empty. It almost had an apocalyptic look to it.

"This is creepy. Hard to believe that this city was full of life just yesterday." Applejack said.

Big Mac did`nt reply. They kept walking towards the hospital. They got into the hospital and started to walk towards where their mom was. The hospital was quiet.

"How should we tell this to Ma?" Applejack asked her brother.

"We should just tell her how it is." Big Mac replied.


They knocked on the door to their moms room.

(knocks on door)

"Come in." they heard from the other side of the room.

Applejack and Big Mac walked in together.

"Hey.... Why the long face? Has something happened?" their mother asked.

Applejack and Big Mac looked at each other.

Applejack walked to her mother and grabbed her hoof.

"Ma... I`m sorry to say this but, Pa had to go to the army. He went away earlier this mornin`." Big Mac said as he looked at his mother.

Applejack could hear her mothers heart brake.

"What? No." She said and started to tear up. "What about the baby? I can`t give birth without him."

Applejack started to shed some tears and hugged her mother. "I`m sorry Ma." She said.

Her mom stopped crying and looked at her kids. "I wanted to surprise Y`all today. The baby won`t come in 1 day. She will come later today." she said with a broken smile.

"What??? Today?" Big Mac replied with a shocked voice.

"Yes MacIntosh. Y`all will see your new sister today. I just wish Pa could be here and see her as well." she said with a tear falling from her chin.

Applejack got happy and sad at the same time. She`s been waiting for so long for this moment. But it did`nt feel right without her father.

"That`s wonderful news Ma." Applejack said with a sad smile.


They were all quiet for a little while. Applejack felt like crying out loud. Her father had never left her before. She had always been daddy`s girl. Applejack could`nt stop thinking about the worst case scenario. That the soldiers would come back with his Dog tags and the Equestrian flag folded into triangle.


"No! That ain`t gon`happen!" Applejack thought to herself.


Suddenly her mother told Big Mac to go get a nurse. Fast.


"Big Mac get the nurse! I think the baby is coming!"


Big Mac looked at his mother with chocked eyes. "Wha- Shoot!" He ran out of the room at an incredible speed.

"Nurse!!" He yelled as he ran through the corridors.


Applejack had no idea what to do. She grabbed her mothers hoof and was about to calm her down, but it felt like she made everything worse.

"I love you Applejack, Sugar-cube. You will finally have a little sister soon." Her mom said with a big but stressed smile.


Applejack was about to hug her mom until the nurse came rushing in with a doctor and two other nurses.

"You`re going to have to leave now miss." The doctor said to Applejack.

Applejack looked at the Doctor and then she looked at her mother. "I understand sir." She said to the Doctor. "I love ya, Ma!" she said before she walked out of the room.


Big Mac was sitting on a chair outside of the room. Applejack sat down on a chair right next to him.

She looked at her brother with a reliefed smile. "It`s happening now, MacIntosh. Our sister is coming to life." She gave her brother a hug and tried her best to sit still.



Hour after hour, they sat outside waiting for the Doctor to let them in. The room their mother was in was well isolated so they could`nt hear anything coming from the room.


Applejack could`nt sit still. So many thoughts was running through her mind.


Then suddenly a nurse opened the door. Applejack and Big Mac got excited. They looked at the nurse with curious eyes....

But the nurse did`nt look that happy. In fact, she looked rather sad.

She put her hoof on Big Macs shoulder. "I`m sorry to say this.... but your mother....." She let out a sad sigh. "The baby is healthy and well..... But your mother did not survive the birth..."


Applejack did`nt hear the rest of what the nurse said, it felt like someone shot her in the heart. She fell on her knees and started to cry.

"No..... no..... how could this happen? First the army takes Pa and now Ma is dead!" Applejack was hysterical. She could`nt stop crying. Big Mac tried to pick her up from the floor and put her on the chair again and comfort her, but he could`nt stop himself from crying.

After a while they got to see the baby. One of the nurses came out with the baby wrapped in a towel.


Applejack had calmed down, she got to hold the baby. She looked at her newborn sister and smiled.

"I guess I`m your mom now.... You`re so beautiful." She said and started to let out some more tears. She tried her best to hold it in. But too much had happened in a short period of time. She put the baby to her chest and looked at her brother. Big Mac looked back at Applejack and hugged her and gently took the baby and looked at his new sister. "She looks more like you than me, Sis" He said and smiled at Applejack. Applejack smiled back with a broken smile.



They could`nt take the baby with them home yet. And it was getting late. They had to start heading back to their empty home.


After a long silent walk, they finally got home. None of them said anything. They opened the front door.

"You go on inside, sis`, I`m gonna be out on the porch for a while." Big Mac said to Applejack, he did`nt look at her because he did`nt want to show his tears.


Applejack looked at her brother and then she looked up to the night sky, it was now two big bright stars on the sky above them.

"Okay, Big Mac. Goodnight." she said with a tired and broken voice.

Applejack went inside and before she could take the first step up the stairs she could hear her brother cry. She slowly walked up the stairs, it felt like she would pass out. When she got upstairs she felt like she had to vomit. She ran to the toilet and started to vomit straight into the toilet. She wiped her mouth and flushed the toilet and tried to brush her teeth. When she got out of the bathroom she went into her sisters room. She looked at all the toys and the Teddy bear.


"How could everything go so wrong? What happened to yesterday?" She asked herself and started to cry.


She eventually went to bed and tried to sleep. But she could`nt. And the noise of her brother crying did`nt help. She wanted to try to comfort him and be there for him. But she knows her brother, he wants to be alone when he is sad.


After hours of rolling around in bed and having tears stream down her cheeks, she finally fell asleep.

What was supposed to be the best day of her life ended up in being the worst day of her life instead.

Author's Note:

Chapter 3 is done! Things are starting to happen now. This was one depressing chapter. Hope y`all enjoys the story so far!