• Published 14th Nov 2015
  • 377 Views, 6 Comments

Friendship Hearts - Silver Letter



Sweetie Drops and Twist take a whole year to prepare their future marriage and they make lots of friends along the way!

  • ...
3
 6
 377

Ep7: An Ill Apple (pt 1)

On the night of the reopening of Peppermint Drops, I dream about her again. It’s the first dream in a long time and I had foolishly thought that I had stopped worrying over her over summer. But I was wrong. It is weird that it bookends such a wonderful day, a time of champagne popping and free samples given to foals happy to see their favorite candy store back again. My best customer comes and gives me a hug one day, which makes me laugh. It’s a time that I am glad to see again because it means I’m going back to work and I’ll be doing what I do best. This dream of mine is hard to classify. It isn’t good but also not a nightmare. The filly with red hair was far away. I could only stare from afar and I had this feeling that I wanted to get closer somehow. My body felt so small. I was desperate because it seemed that there was no way to do it. She disappeared over the horizon and the lump of sugar in my chest just dissolved.

Things are different in the day though. Being back at work is glorious. I work in the kitchen all day until I feel ready to fall apart and I’m still full of pride to see the foals come, sometimes tracking in a leaf or two from the ground. The two of us are finally together all the time. We get up together, eat breakfast and open shop. We call it a day as the sun sets lower every evening. Our dinners are lively as we chat. Even sleep couldn’t be better. Of course lately we’ve done far more than that. Our nightly intimacy is better than ever and Sweetie does more to caress and hold me tightly to keep us warm. We are two candies and I’m sweet enough to lick.

I’ve been trying to keep thoughts of Apple Bloom out of my head, to delay it as long as possible. But I don’t keep myself unoccupied. I’ve done a lot to fulfill our wedding obligations before our ceremony next year. So much has been done that we’re ahead of schedule. The location is set, the flowers, the beautiful cake and even our dresses, the designs sketched by hoof. We are commissioning Rarity to make them. The only drawback is that it leaves me with less to do. I like to daydream and if I’m doing nothing, that’s just more chance for me to think about that filly I wanted first.

I think it’s wrong to just come up with some excuse to go and see her if I want to confront her with something like this. I’m sure the filly had moved on by now and I have too for the most part. But feelings have a way of coming back. I guess I want to know if things are going to be okay with her as much as it is with me.

I walk to her farm and take my time. Our whole history flashes before my eyes as I wander between focusing on the road ahead and looking back into the past. For me, the apple was just the most amazing thing. It was sweet and so good to eat. It comes from trees and can be put into just about anything. I liked exploring the farm with Apple Bloom. Those were the days before she met her two best friends and long before they realized that they were meant together. Before that, I thought me and her were meant for something too. I just wasn’t sure what. I liked her company, her beautiful voice and swift body. These were things I weren’t when I was that age. The braces, speech hang up and my mane didn’t make me as attractive as her. It didn’t stop her from wanting to be my friend and we hung out all the time.

I come from a closed family. We didn’t hug much or even kiss each other on the forehead when we needed comfort. It just made Apple Bloom’s way of touching my shoulder and hugging me tight seem to be so much more than it was. Back then, I hardly knew what it meant to like other fillies. I just knew I liked her. It wasn’t advanced like it is with Sweetie Drops though and the only thing they share in common is being sweet.

I still remember when things changed between us. It was like the beginning of a new age. Apple Bloom walking sullenly down the street after school like learning about facts just wasn’t enough for her. She only wanted one thing in life. They say that the things left unsaid haunts us. I didn’t comfort her then. I was too self-absorbed in my own life and my own cutie mark. I never knew what she would have said if I had brought up her angst. Instead, two others did and now, they’re her best friends. I guess it turned out for the best but does she still think about me and the past? I still wonder.

I reach her house and knock on the door. The breeze sways the wind dial at the top of the barn, making it spin around. Apple Bloom soon opens it and smiles when she sees me.

She lifts a hoof to the edge of her mouth. “Oh gosh, I wasn’t expecting you.” She sounds pleasantly surprised. “Come in.”

I go inside and upstairs into her room. She closes the door behind her. It smells like apples and leather up here. Apple Bloom sits her rump on the bed, a wide one covered in a duvet as bright white as a cloud. A bunch of bows are lying on it.

“Doing your mane?” I ask her.

“I am. I’m just picking out a clip to wear today.” She takes a pink clip, looking in the mirror, and puts it at the end of her ponytail. “That’ll do it.”

“How’ve you been lately?” I say.

“Things are good at the farm. Zap Apple Season was pretty good as always. We had record sales.” She fans herself with a hat. “Is it warm in here?”

I shrug my shoulders. “I guess?”

Apple Bloom goes and opens the window. “I’ve been feeling warmer these days even though it’s getting cold outside.”

We hear a swift knock and the door opens up just as fast. Apps turns around. It is Applejack. She’s wearing an apron and carrying a bowl of soup on top of an oven pad.

“Apple Bloom, I thought I told you that opening that window wasn’t good for you. The cold hasn’t been kind,” she says. She looks worried. Now, I’ve heard of Applejack’s legendary ability to coddle her sister but I’ve never actually seen it in person. Apple Bloom closes the window as requested and walks towards her sister.

“I just wanted a little fresh air.”

“I know. You just need to be inside, is all.” Applejack puts the soup on the nightstand and looks at me. Her sisterly eyes sparkle. “Hello, Twist. Fancy seeing you back here.”

I stand respectfully. “Thank you. I’ve come to visit Apple Bloom. It’s nice to see you too.”

She tips her brown hat at me. She looks kind of funny wearing that and her apron at the same time. “Nice to have you around but perhaps it would be best for you to come by later when my sis isn’t so tired.”

“I’m not tired, sis,” Apps says.

“That’s just your mind talking. Your body, not so much,” Applejack advises her. “I would still get some rest but as long as you’re inside then you’ll be alright. Well, I got to go. The farm needs me.” She leaves and closes the door. Apple Bloom sniffs the steam rising from the soup.

“Applejack was never the best at making soup,” she says.

I go near and sniff it too. “It smells good to me,” I say. It almost makes my mouth water.

“That’s because you’re not used to the stuff Granny used to make,” she says with a chuckle. She takes a sip from a spoon.

“Hey, Apps, are you sick or something?”

She looks embarrassed suddenly and rubs the back of her head. She puts the spoon down. “Well, it’s hard to explain.”

I must appear confused to her. I hardly know why sickness would need to be explained.

“I have to tell you something but it’s a secret. You can’t tell Applejack or anypony else. Promise?” Apps forces her voice to sound youthful and she extends her lower lip out a bit which is just like her to use on me. I relent and agree with what she wants to hear.

I take a seat near the bed, pushing aside the clutter of bows and ribbons.

“Well, I’m not really sick like Applejack things I am,” she continues. “I’m actually pregnant. I’ve found out a week ago. I have these urges to vomit in the mornings sometimes and I’ve been queasy but I haven’t been able to tell my sis why it’s happening. To her, I’ve just caught some bug.”

To me, this is the bombshell of bombshells. I guess all these years, I’ve never even considered that Apple Bloom was into guys. Even when I had stopped picturing her beautiful body next to mine, I always pegged her as liking fillies only. I let my suddenly heavy jaw hang before going over and giving her a tight hug. I grin brightly.

“Oh, Apps…that’s incredible,” I gush out. “You’re going to have your own foal.” We take turns wiping away happy tears but more comes from my eyes. To me, the shock is double. Apps gives me a kiss on the cheek, which makes me blush. I go back into a sitting position.

“I know. I can’t wait to be a mom and have a little one run around the farm like Applejack and I did all the time.”

“I just didn’t see it coming, you know?” I say, my voice slightly cracking.

She puts a hoof on my shoulder. “I know. You probably won’t be the last to feel that way.”

“I really didn’t see it coming.” A mix of relief, happiness and even sadness washes over me. I cry even more. I hear her sighing and she rests her head on my shoulder like we used to do as foals when she had nobody but me to talk to about her blank flank.

“As long as you’re here, I’ll be fine.”

I look into her eyes. They’re orange and wide. “It’s wonderful that you’ve gone on to find a colt that would give you such a gift as this.” I chuckle suddenly. “Do you want to know something funny?”

“What is it?”

“I didn’t think you liked anypony other than fillies.” Apps moves off me.

“You mean, like you?” she says curiously.

“Well, I don’t have to mean exactly like me,” I say a little defensively.

Apps looks down and fiddles with her ponytail. “I suppose I can see where you’re coming from. I knew for years that you liked fillies and I never told anypony, even my friends. We would have supported you…but I digress.”

“You know for that long?”

“Of course. I even thought that you liked me too. We spent so much time deep in the orchards all alone like we were more than friends or at least you had that in your mind. I didn’t know about Sweetie Drops though.”

My mouth is dry and I don’t feel like speaking. The words unspoken for so many years are stuck in my throat. But I don’t think I could stop them anymore if I wanted to. She knows more about the past than I realized.

“I did like you. I thought you did too but were too shy to say anything. I hung out with Ms. Drops a lot but by then, you were off with Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo.”

“And you still thought I liked fillies?” she prods. She looks amused.

“Well, yes.”

“And you even thought I liked you still?” she whispers, clearly teasing me at this point. She smirks and I look away, nearly flustered. It really is hot in this room.

“Do I have to say anything anymore? I mean, does it even matter?”

“Of course it does. Between friends like us, it always matters. It’s okay to have those thoughts.”

She’s such a good friend. I don’t think I know anypony else that would be so open about not only filly foolin’ but about those same feelings from their oldest pal. I’m lucky to have her in my life, fillyfriend or not. I start to feel better and I get up to stretch my hooves. I go to the window and pull it up. I can see Applejack and Big Mac off in the distance, chatting by the barn.

“What are you going to name the foal?” I ask.

She shrugs her shoulders. “I don’t know. That’s still a ways off. Shouldn’t you keep the window closed?”

“I took that as just a polite suggestion.”

“Nothing is just a suggestion around here. When we Apples want something, you be sure that we’ll get it.”

I am suddenly interested in learning more about Apps’ relationship now that the cloud of her feelings about me are settled.

“Can I meet this colt of yours anytime soon?” I say. I lie on the bed, both nervous and intrigued about the identity of the father. It could be anypony I’ve known for years and never suspected could be with my best friend.

“Well, that’s the thing. You can’t meet him.”

I frown. “What?”

She squeezes a pillow tightly and gazes at me. “He ran off. He ran away from me, Twist!”


I am walking away from the farm, my stomach all knotted up. My mind is a fog and I can’t think clearly as I pass over the hill and over the bridge leading into town. I get a message on my cell. I assume it’s Sweetie asking me when I’m coming home but it isn’t. The number is unknown but I see a soft face looking back, one that is instantly recognizable to me.

I am glad to have an opportunity to not have to think about Apple Bloom. Going to the train station will be just fine. I walk amongst ponies going out of town. I can see steam not far off. It has to be the next train. Ponies ready their luggage and cluster in lines. I stand to the side, uninterested in where they’re going. The only thing I care about is the pony stepping off. Soon, ponies exchange their places. Those coming disembark. A host of foals and fillies from the city. I spot the deep red pony right away and wave towards her. She snakes through the crowd and removes her sunglasses. A large brown overcoat prevents me from seeing if she’s smiling or not but I sure am.

“C’mon, it’s hardly that cold,” I say, amused.

“After where I’ve been, you would say otherwise.” One hoof unbuttons the coat and it is hung over a body so thin that I can easily see the bulges of her ribs. The wind whips at Cheerilee’s mane and it spreads across her face. She moves it aside with a hoof. Even if she hadn’t taken it off, her voice is the same as it ever was when I was young. It’s as soft as a spring breeze.

I go and give her a hug. I smell flowers on her coat. It’s almost as silky as Sweetie’s or mine. “Ah, how is Sweetie Shores in summer?”

“So hot but with the sea right there, it gets comfortable. I barely realize the sun is there at times.”

We walk down Mane Street. We don’t really have anywhere we need to be and we just spend the time chatting. We go back and forth about her out on her own in the west, just her and the sand, surf and the sun as her friends. I had a lot to say about the summer we had and about Rainbow and Pinkie. The fires were on the news over there. She tried to stay informed on that as long as they were still going on.
Cheerilee looks around as if she’s seeing her town for the first time in years. I ask if she wants to get something from Sugar Cube but she is trying to keep her figure intact. It was supposedly grueling work to get rid of years of built up fat. She thanks the sun for melting it like an iceberg, slowly but surely. I tell her about my broken leg and she looks saddened to hear of it. I guess we both had a lot that needed to be healed this summer.

We end up getting some fresh apples from a nearby stand. A group of foals pass by on the right. I happen to spot Busy Besy and I wave.

She returns it mid-giggle and is soon gone. I notice that Cheerilee looks at them softly.

“You thinking of returning to teaching?” I ask.

“I think it would be for the best.” As she speaks, Cheerilee stands tall, not hunched over so much as an inch. Her whole body seems to show off her renewed confidence. It’s nothing short of amazing.

“I’m sure the foals are sick of substitutes.”

“I’m just going to get settled first. Maybe see what’s going on around here and catch up with a few ponies. I should be able to return next week if all goes well.”

I smile. “Who are you planning on seeing?”

“An old friend or two.” She seems to ponder something for a moment. “I was considering visiting more of my old students than yourself. Do you know how Apple Bloom and her friends have been lately?” She looks at me, her gaze curious and her ears thirsty for a bit of gossip.

“I haven’t seen the other two in a while but I saw Apple Bloom just this morning.” Just saying her name makes me nervous and I unconsciously dig in the ground with my hoof.

She notices something is off. She’s pretty good when it comes to minute pony behavior that most wouldn’t catch. Just like a good teacher.
“How is she?”

I sit my flank on the ground. The grass is cool. I look up at my former teacher and I can only frown at her question. “It’s kind of hard to say.”

“Why is that?”

“I guess she’s kind of ill and has been in bed for a couple days.”

Cheerilee winces. “Oh dear. I am sorry to hear of that. I should go and visit her. She might be glad to see me. Do you know what she has?”

There’s no way I’m telling her about her pregnancy. I’ll have to just mention the symptoms. “Well, she’s drowsy, feeling hot, vomiting, and is itchy,” I rattle off quickly. “Exactly what she has, I am not sure.”

“It’s okay. Maybe I’ll help figure it out.”

“I’m sure the Apples have it handled.”

I feel like an idiot just for mentioning Apps and I sort of stand in her way. I should stop her, maybe convince her to do something else.

“They are quite good at taking care of each other but I’m sure a little emotional support can definitely go a long way if she has the flu,” Cheerilee says.

“If it’s the flu, then you might catch it though,” I try to warn her.

Cheerilee stops and seems to ponder over that. I hope that she’ll change her mind. The last thing I need is for Apple Bloom to think I’m a bad friend because I accidentally let her secret out. I don’t want to lose her. She’s going to be my special bridesmaid when I get married next year.

“Well, maybe just sending a letter might be just as good,” she says reflectively. She turns around and I quietly sigh in relief. “I’ll send a “get well” and put a picture of me in it.” Just as I think I’m all clear, I suddenly hear a voice from behind. A very low and familiar voice.

“Did I overhear that Apple Bloom is sick?

What an unfortunate fate for a pony to pick.”

We turn around and see Zecora approach from a nearby vegetable stand. Long green leaves stick out of a saddlebag. She is wearing her normal brown cloak. I am awfully surprised to see her, especially out of the blue like this. But for the second time today, I can’t help but smile at the arrival of an old friend.

“Hey, Zecora. I haven’t seen you in a while. How was your trip to your Zebra land?”

“It was most excellent and grand.

The journey was surely worth going to see my ancestral land.

But what about my pony friend?

Does she suffer from an illness from which her body must defend?”

It’s just what I need. Another pony nosing around with Apple Bloom. And those two just love to pry.

“Yeah, she’s feeling down. Better not disturb her.” I deliberately try not to say much. I want to talk about Zecora’s homeland some more.

Zecora laughs. “Oh, but I’m sure that she would love to see me.

I’ve always done my part to help the filly with illness by giving everything from potions to tea.

I’m sure I have something for her in my bag.”

I grumble. “I guess you two are pretty adamant on going?” They both smile and nod after I ask. I know there’s no use arguing. We better head there now.


We all travel to the Apple farmhouse. I listen to Zecora talk about her journey as we go. I learn that in her homeland, there are a lot of small villages where everyone knows everyone. Hers only has a few dozen individuals. Zebras love to travel and explore the world and Zecora is no exception. She talks about how her family was so pleased as always to receive things from pony lands. The first day, they play instruments and danced until the fires turn to embers. In the dead of night, she’ll look around at the endless wild fields with grasses as tall as her shoulders that are only lit by the wide moon above. I think it all sounds like a very exotic place.

The wind picks up as we pass the gate and reach the house. I knock and walk in. My friends follow behind. I hear hoofsteps in the kitchen and Applejack turns a corner and sees us. She is still wearing that apron.

“Hey there. Back again, Twist?”

“I am.” I gesture behind me. “I brought a couple friends with me. Is that okay?”

“I’m as sure as sure can be. Y’all are welcome anytime.”

She goes back to the kitchen to cook I presume. I can hear something boiling. We take off our cloaks, bags and shoes. Zecora removes plastic black boots and sets them down along the wall. Above it is a faded portrait of two ponies in front of a very old barn. It’s in black and white. I’ve seen it a thousand times. The picture of Apple Bloom’s parents. I don’t know their color but it must have been colored at some point because the sky is still steel blue. It’s the only thing to still endure time and exposure.

I don’t know if the others have been in the house before but they seem familiar with the place enough even if they are looking around with interest at the Apple décor. We reach Apps’ room and I knock. She tells us to come in and asks if it’s me. I remember that Applejack more or less just burst in right away. A normal thing most likely around here amongst family.

We all file inside the room. Apps is snug under the covers. She has a magazine and a newspaper on the bed with a pencil.

“Hey, you guys,” she says.

I smile because she looks cute sometimes when she’s bored. “You busy?”

“Not really.” She looks at Zecora then Cheerilee. “What brings you two by?”

“You just didn’t sound well and I wanted to come and see you,” Cheerilee says.

“That’s nice of you to come,” Apps replies.

“I came with medicines for you.

So your health can return anew,” Zecora mentions.

Apps nods politely. “Thanks, Zecora.”

“If you may, I might like to run a test.

Then I can find out what medicine is best.

Each illness requires something specific.”

Apps suddenly gets out of bed. “I don’t know if a test is really needed. I mean, it’s just a bit of flu. I think some of your herbal tea for that would do just fine.” She goes and unlatches the window to let in cool air.

“The poor thing is sweating. I hope she’s not burning up,” Cheerilee tells me.

Zecora raises her voice. “Cool air isn’t kind to a pony with flu.

Aggravating the symptoms, that is true.”

Apps rolls her eyes. “Look, I don’t want any tests.”

“Apple Bloom, you sure aren’t above testing yourself,” I say.

Apps waves a hoof in frustration. “Nice going. You might as well tell them yourself.” She goes and leaps back into bed. I go and close the window. “Hey!”

“I don’t want you to catch a cold,” I say flatly.

“But she has a flu already,” Cheerilee says.

I give a pointed glance at Apps and she grits her teeth. She has no choice but to tell the truth. I know I’m doing the right thing. Keeping this kind of truth away from close friends does nopony any good.

“Sorry, everypony…but I don’t have the flu. In fact, I’m not really sick in the way most would call it. I’m actually having a foal.”

Cheerilee gasps and Zecora’s eyes widen.

“A foal? Apple Bloom…I can hardly believe it. You’re going to have a sweet little foal? You’re going to be such a wonderful parent!”
Cheerilee gushes. She goes to Apps’ bedside and looks at her body as if she was already showing.

The two of them give their congrats and talk a while about how wonderful foals are. When they’re not looking, Apps glares at me and I guess I deserve it. I know as much as her that talking about the foal will bring up the father too. It’s not going to be easy to explain. I can barely wrap my head around it myself.

After Zecora mentions how the foal will carry on the Apple family traditions, Cheerilee asks whether the father is around so they can meet him. Apps nearly cringes at the question.

“Well…that’s a bit of a long story.”

The two of them listen as she tells them what happened. Some seasonal farm workers come during summer and some of them often enter the house to eat with the family on occasion. The Apples love to invite ponies over to eat as they love to share and really love company. There was one farm colt which Apple Bloom took a particular liking to. She says that his hair was the color of a latte. His coat shimmered in the sun. As usual, she stood her distance, knowing better not to become too personal with the help as it were. Apples are always careful who they choose to take as their significant others. But I know it wasn’t the case that time. Apps has an independent streak that’s well known to me. If she wants something, nothing in this world could stop her. Still, the way she tells it, it was the colt that came to her out in the field and she slowly fell to the voice which offers such sweet words. She’s strong but not strong enough to resist. When she mentions that the colt ran off without even telling her, I had to look away. I stare outside as she speaks. Storm clouds aren’t far.

My attention fades in and out. I already know the story she’s telling. I can see a metal shed not far from the house under the canopy of a tall apple tree. A single decaying rope hanging from a branch was once a swing where Apps and I played. We would go inside the shed with dolls on the dirt floor. I liked playing with dolls a lot when I was young. I would pretend they were real so I would brush them and schedule feeding times for the pretend foal. I would even play with them on the tree sometimes since I could climb them with Apps. Not once did I picture her doll being real. She always threw it down on the ground when she was bored with it and wanted to start coloring. Now she’s going to be the one with the real foal.


We stayed for dinner like Applejack requested so kindly. Potatoes, carrots and other hearty vegetables were served in white dishes. My stomach still feels full as I stand outside in the fresh air. The wind is carrying the clouds west towards the sunset, a smattering of reds and purples in the sky. My stomach isn’t the only thing that feels heavy. I sort of want to be left alone out here but I hear the screen door open and shut quickly and I know that my desire won’t be met. I am surprised when Apps steps beside me.

“What are you doing?” she asks me.

I scrunch my muzzle. “I should ask you the same thing. You should be inside.”

“But I’m not sick. You know that.”

“Still…”

“Look, I came to ask you something important before you all leave.”

“What is it?” I sit down on my flanks and cross my front hooves. I don’t think I feel very generous. For all I know, she’s going to ask me to take care of her while she gets bigger and her sister goes out to farm.

“I’ve been thinking about things since I got my test back with that positive and something’s been on my mind. No Apple family mare has ever had a foal when she’s not been married. It is part of the legacy for every daughter from even before Granny Smith.”

“That’s pretty fascinating but I don’t think it’s happening this time, Apps. I’m sorry.” I relax my posture. She sure knows what to say to depress me.

“It can still happen. I need to find the colt that came to the farm.”

“What? You want to find him?” I say incredulously. She told me his name was Wheat Thresher. His body is all shades of brown. His uncle is a traveling stallion named Mr. Greenhooves.

“He told me once that he has family over at the Horseshoe Bay. It’s pretty far but it’s the only lead I have on where he might be. I think he has family around here but I don’t think he would stay nearby if he didn’t want me to find him.”

“What do you think will happen if you do find him?” I feel concerned at what she might say. I want to tell her to maybe leave him be wherever he has decided to settle down. Then again, a pony like her might not listen. They have all these traditions of theirs. I doubt they would just ignore whatever they’re telling them.

Apps shrugs. “I’ll convince him to come back with me. Marrying somepony that’s having your foal is the right thing to do.”

“Yeah, maybe.”

“There’s no maybes about it,” Apps says firmly. “That’s why I need you to come with me to the Horseshoe Bay and look for the colt. I know we can do it together.”

Applejack opens the door. “Apple Bloom! I was looking for you. You shouldn’t be inside in that condition. Come on in.”

“I’ll take a night to consider it,” I tell Apps. I think that’s all she wants to hear as she nods happily and goes into the farmhouse. The sound of crickets fill the night air.

I’m full after dinner so I take my dessert in a small dish that Apps says I can borrow. Me and the others walk back to town. We mostly talk about Apps and her pregnancy. Cheerilee thinks I shouldn’t have kept it a secret but does understand that the situation is unusual and unfortunate. Zecora tells us about her family. It would be like a sin for anybody in her village to marry without the approval of the elder. To her, Apps’ secrecy is definitely wrong and that she should tell her older sister. While we talk, I purposely let loose the idea of going and finding this colt. I want to know what they think about it.

Zecora narrows her eyes. She is near fuming.

“Maybe we should go and find this colt

And tell him that he is such a dolt.

Only a fool would abandon Apple Bloom.”

“Zecora, would your family do something like that?” Cheerilee asks.

“Most certainly, they would.

They would call it just and good.”

“Well, she can’t go alone, that’s for sure,” I say. “She needs her friends with her the whole way.”

“You can count me in. Returning to the school can wait a little if need be,” Cheerilee says.

“Are you sure you want to go? I mean, I know you thought she was sick and all so you went to see her but you also had hard feelings towards her in the past.” I feel reluctant to say those things. I hope I am not being unfair.

I glance at her and her pace doesn’t falter nor does her head lower shamefully.

“That is true. I did feel those things but after my time away, I know that it was wrong. The problems I had were just mine alone. It wasn’t the fault of my former students.” Her words are reassuring and I leave it at that.

By the time we reach town, the two of them are on board. I guess it’s happening for sure. We split up and they go home. I return home myself and find a darkened shop front. I unlock the door and go inside. Later, I draw a bath and rest my tired hooves in the hot water. I then put on my nightgown after and head to bed. Sweetie is reading a book.

I tell her about my day and about Apple Bloom. The pregnancy is a fair shock to her as well but I doubt it is as much to her as it was to me. I don’t think she has the filly in her mind very often. They only see each other occasionally. At least she does understand the idea of going after Wheat. She hates it when ponies aren’t held accountable for their actions. Before we go to bed, she rambles on about a common story about the scourge that was Trixie Lulamoon. I know the story myself but she loves telling it. Even foals I taught know of the “Magician from Tartarus”. She reminds me of my mother when she tells stories but I end up kissing the storyteller good night instead of the other way around when it’s over.

Sweetie tells me that I don’t have to worry about the shop in the morning. It’s very early out when I get up and prepare to see Apps again. Dew clings to the grass and the sides of the windows. It’s foggy outside and cold in the kitchen. I pack things in my saddlebags. I put on a thick wool cloak. It reminds me of what Zecora wears.

“I’ll take care of the shop when you’re away. I hadn’t forgotten all the times you were here alone after all,” Sweetie recalls. I put on my pendant last. We gaze at each other lovingly.

“Love you. I’ll see you later.” I kiss her on her sweet and plump lips. I know I won’t be this warm again for some time.

I go to the Apple Farm and I see the others are on the ball and are waiting for me. Apple Bloom is putting things in a small cart, one pulled by a single pony. Cheerilee has a green sweater and long socks on her hooves. Her saddlebags bulge.

“Ah, you’re here now. I hope you’re ready because I’m not turning back,” Apps says.

I look at the house. It looks cold and gloomy at this hour. “Hey, Apple Bloom, how did your sister take to you leaving?” I say.

“I just said that I’m going to a Canterlot doctor and that I’ll take a couple days to do it,” she explains.

“In Canterlot?”

“They have good doctors there. Granny Smith has one there for her health. It makes sense that I would too.” She seems satisfied with her excuse so I nod. It’s going to have to be good enough.

Apps pulls her wagon and we follow from behind. We head east, through the hills. There’s no forest between us and the Horseshoe Bay so it’s not going to be that hard to get there. It will just take days.

We stay at inns that are built to take in weary travelers. A couple times, we eat at big wooden tables with a bunch of ponies we don’t even know. It’s a good place to just be sociable and listen to ponies tell stories. The first time, a plump mare serves a pot of stew and the nest, a stallion with a thick beard makes sure we eat plenty of spinach and coleslaw. The closer we get, the more the food reminds me of the sea. Kelp and seaweed is eaten more often and I sometimes watch a seagull fly past the window of our room. The last night before we reach Horseshoe Bay, Zecora plays a long flute from her homeland. It soothes my nerves and I drift to sleep easily. I dream of Apple Bloom being with the Flower Fillies at my wedding. They all wear the same dresses and the same happy faces.