• Published 14th Nov 2015
  • 377 Views, 6 Comments

Friendship Hearts - Silver Letter



Sweetie Drops and Twist take a whole year to prepare their future marriage and they make lots of friends along the way!

  • ...
3
 6
 377

Ep2: A Wise Friend

I can find no greater peace than with my Sweetie Drops. She does everything for me. She knows when to make things warm and where to put her hooves where I like it. When our intensity rises and when things die down and I start to feel chilly, she pulls me in and her hooves hold me tightly and they are so very protective of me. Our flowery duvet is a fluffy cloud, drifting us to sleep. There is a smell that lingers before I start to dream. It’s a very sweet smell but unique; it’s not like candy or honey or even flowers. We candy makers use our mouths every day. We are adept enough at it to sense our love; each kiss and sweep of our tongue on our coats detects what our hearts must be feeling. Her cutie mark stands out with a taste like hard candy. She tells me that certain parts of me are as cool as mint. Our hooves are small. They’re great for handling delicate objects and doing fine work on candy. Being brittle and soft, we use them very well. When I finally sleep, I think somepony might have spilled a bag of sugar in the room. It’s that strong.


When it is early out and the sun has barely risen, I no longer smell anything. It’s dark in our room. Sweetie’s head rests on my forearm and her mane and tail coats my body. I yawn and prepare myself for the long day ahead. I have to move slowly as to not wake her. She loves to sleep in and today is no exception even though she is going to run the shop by herself, giving me a well-deserved day off. I would rather stay in bed but I have no time for it. There are lots of things for me to do today that demands my attention.

I go to draw a quick bath. I wash myself quickly with my rose soap. It’s a soap from Roseluck, one of the Flower Fillies and our close friends. The soap is a fine gift and I use it every day. Us five love to hang out and talk. Ponies see us as the most feminine mares around without a doubt; we’re not the ones to talk to about rodeos or working outdoors. Gardening is another matter of course. We’re busy at the shop a lot so we don’t see each other every day but when we do, it’s always at a picnic or sometimes we have a tea party together in Daisy’s shaded garden. I can always count on them for a quiet afternoon. We turned into friends years after Sweetie introduced us. I make a special candy infused with a cherry blossom flavor that they can’t really get enough of. I make sure to give them some as a gift every month or so.

After I bathe, I style my mane until it’s shimmery and bouncy. I grab my sun umbrella and head downstairs into the shop. I then make sure that my notebook is clearly visible for Sweetie to find. She needs it for her special orders. She’ll be working all day which is a good thing, I surmise. I need her to stay indoors so she won’t be bored and ask questions as to where I am going.

Marriage is a special thing in Equestria and we ponies don’t take it for granted. The amount of time and effort that goes into it means that two ponies are right for each other. A broken marriage is so uncommon that I don’t know any pony personally that’s gone through it. I love Sweetie so much that I’ll go through any effort and hardship for her. I don’t even mind that it will take up to a year for make sure everything is set. The most impressive of them all is something that I’m sure Sweetie won’t see coming. I anticipate seeing her eyes light up when she sees what I have to offer. I’ll be just as happy when the great day comes.

When I leave the house, I have my umbrella sitting on my back. I look through a faint pink colored pair of glasses. The sun is out and the air is hot and dry enough to make my tongue and mouth uncomfortable. I drink water from a bottle. Flies buzz near my ears and I quickly flap them. I know that it’s Princess Celestia’s doing. In school, I was told that she decides to make Equestria a bit hotter or colder every decade or so. She does it to prevent the weather from being too stagnant. While I see the wisdom, it makes the heat no less difficult to bear. But it doesn’t matter, I think. I have bigger issues to consider this morning. I have to go all the way to the dark forest that borders town. My friend there awaits me.


I travel for over a kilometer to the edge of these dense wildlands. I remember when I was young and the forest was something that all foals spoke of in hushed voices. That was a long time ago. It was always a magical place where there were always monsters for legendary knights to slay. The place of terrible trials, curses and phenomena called by lightning and dark magic. The newest princess has her own magic, the kind to pacify parts of a forest. I don’t hear of any attacks on ponies from wild animals anymore; the stories of attacks echo from my youth. Even if there is any lingering doubt remaining, the pendant swaying at my neck gives me enough confidence to press onward.

The mass of trees is a wall of shadow still and the canopy is very thick and hard to see through. I decide to leave my umbrella hanging from a nearby fence while I pass through. I am very alert and scan my sides often. Even if there aren’t large animals about, spiders and insects can scare me witless. Some say I am nearly as bad as Lily when it comes to that. Luckily, the path is well maintained on Princess Twilight’s orders. Thanks to her, the forest has been more easily traveled if one wishes to go as far as the restored Castle of the Two Sisters. The Princess’s friend, Zecora, also benefits from having an easy path. She’s my friend and I’m going to see her within an hour if I take no breaks on the side of the path.

Getting there is easy. Where there used to be thick bushes with thorns, only a few trees and shrubs remain. I cross plank bridges over the numerous vein like creeks. When I arrive, I see the familiar hut I’ve been to many times before. When it comes into view, I know I am truly safe.

I admire Zecora’s hut. It’s one of the most isolated places I know but somehow still welcoming, a calm recess in the forest where the animals seem to know not to bother the special zebra that lives here. I can’t help but think that she has mystical powers she’s gained from her homeland. She’s no pony and as sad as it sounds, she used to be feared. Ponies wouldn’t dare speak to her or even approach her. She was just another frightful specter like all the rest. I hardly knew better as a foal and when I heard her name, my heart was filled with dread. Looking back, I know that I was what Zecora would call a “silly filly”, one of the many things she loves to say. Of all my friends, she is one of the most interesting to speak to. I’m not the only one that’s glad to come and be friendly with her. Other ponies like it too. Apple Bloom helped fix the leaks in the roof and a local mare, Rarity, painted it a fresher shade of green.

I knock on her door. When I do, it pushes the door open as it is just slightly ajar. I am surprised but I try to look inside.

“Hello? Zecora?” I say to announce myself. I get no response so I nudge the door open gently with a hoof. The hut is unoccupied. A pot sits on a stove so I go near it and feel that it’s still warm. Smoke drifts upward from black coals. I smell it but it is faint compared to the eclectic randomness that is Zecora’s hut: spices too numerous to name, fruiting plants, strange foreign masks. I notice though that the place is not as full as it usually is. Zecora has so much stuff that one can barely walk around. As I scan her table for anything that might help, I see a drawing out of charcoal and paint. It looks like a large pointy rock with some moss growing on it. A detailed drawing of a flower and an arrow pointing to the top. A hasty scribble below says “five km east”.

I hope it doesn’t mean that this place is that far and to the east no less. Going east is entering the deeper part of the forest where even Twilight’s influence fades. Such places can be the dwelling places of nightmares.

I consider turning back, despite the fact that I need the zebra’s help. But what if she needs mine? She could be trapped or even injured. I weigh both the pros and cons of going. There are plenty of cons: getting lost, getting hurt or injured or eaten by giant monsters. But would a decent pony just do nothing while her friend is in danger? Rarity wouldn’t shy away from danger but everypony knows that I’m frailer than she. I don’t recall the last time I’ve been near anything dangerous.

Minutes tick by as I think and look at the drawing. I soon pick it up and fold it. I need to stop wasting time. Today, I must be bold.

I leave the area with nothing but a vague idea as to where my friend is. There is a very thin animal trail leading east but it’s not much. Certainly not maintained like the path is. I will have to watch my step for anything from snakes to quicksand. Trepidation already sinks in as I go.

As I keep hiking on this unplanned journey, my mind wanders over to my Sweetie as I walk. She’s probably in the kitchen right now, making something tasty for somepony. I usually hate places that are totally devoid of sweetness, like a murky swamp. I step on a twig and I snap to attention. I look around me, thinking that I came across something but there’s nothing but insects and an occasional rat. I try not to touch anything gross and try harder to avoid falling into large pits of mud that flank the narrow sliver of dirt that I’m walking on.

The forest turns more into a giant bog where huge masses of fog keeps below the canopy. It all must have been like that before it started drying. Up a hill, I look down over the valley below. There are trails of smoke rising over the far mountains. They are not signs of pony civilization though. Nothing but sulfur geysers spewing out steam all the time. It’s dangerous country out there.

I keep going until the trees thin out and there’s more dry land. The rocks are harder on my hooves but at least it’s firm ground far from the bogs. Here, the sun is stronger and makes me pant as I go ever higher through this shrubby country. I didn’t like the forest but at least it was cool. I can see where I’m going now but the bad thing is that this rock is actually more like a cliff and the green stuff I thought to be moss is actually patches of trees. My muscles could very well be spent by the time I climb it but I have no choice. I am going to just have to take it if I want to reach Zecora.


I don’t have a history of being an outdoor pony. Sweetie is the one that likes hiking. She loves participating in the autumn Running of the Leaves and adores Winter Wrap Up. She just likes nature, I guess. I like it too but not as much. I can settle for watching it from afar or in a magazine. When I do go out, I prefer the small things. I can handle a good sunset or catching snow on my tongue after a good snowball fight. Climbing upwards is anything but small. My bones and lungs are begging me to quit as I scale the cliff. I hate hiking.

After what seems like an eternity, I reach the summit. I know she’s around. I can already sense that I’m not alone and a strong smell of incense is all around me. The exact kind that was at the hut.

I finally see her sitting near some rocks. She is as still as a black and white rock. Her eyes are closed and her straight mane ruffles in the breeze. She looks very peaceful. I have no idea if she is resting, meditating or thinking. I don’t make much sound as I approach but she stands up, sensing my presence as easily as if I had come blaring a trumpet.

“Zecora, it’s me, Twist,” I say to not alarm her. But she looks at me and smiles.

“I had known it was you.”

“That’s good,” I reply. The wind is hot and dry and it is bothering my coat. I feel like scratching it. “What are you doing in such a remote place?”

Zecora motions over to a small bag full of flowers. Some of them stick out and they look like the brightest clouds.

“I need these for a brew I am making. I was very grateful that they were here for the taking.” Her way of speaking always amuses me. She loves to rhyme. She told me once that it promotes tranquility, which I believe. I had never met anyone before that could change a heart by the sound of her voice alone. Aside from the aggressively stubborn, most change their minds about her when she speaks. It was in town when I met her.

I look at the flowers; they are pretty with large white petals. “The flowers grow here all the time?”

“No, they mostly bloom in summer.

If they didn’t, things would be glummer.

For this plant is very important.

It forces some illnesses to go dormant.”

“Wow, that is important,” I agree. “How are you going to get all these flowers back to your place? It’s kind of far.”

Zecora ties up the large sack and pulls it tight with her teeth, causing the golden rings on her neck and foreleg to rattle.

“It’s very simple so don’t worry.
I can get us both back in a hurry.”

“Awesome….but how?” I say hesitantly.

I watch as she demonstrates a device that she breaks apart and unfolds. It looks like some kind of winged object, a glider. It’s painted with a bright red and black pattern like some birds have. I am impressed.

“You’re going to use that to get home? That’s great.”

I like a lot of things about Zecora. She’s not just pragmatic and intelligent but has kindness and generosity that few can match. There are ponies like doctors that can help fix wounds and cure illnesses but they often lack what Zecora has. She has the power to cure fear of a forest and give a future princess her confidence. What she has is wisdom and it’s something that’s so often in short supply.

She lets me go with her on the glider. I hold on to a safety bar and the bag is tied to it between us. According to her, our weight should be close enough to let us fly easily. I believe her of course; I never knew her to lie. When her hooves push us off the cliff, a fearful whine escapes me. Perhaps her smell and my trust in her prevents me from fainting. But, soon I am giggling as the craft stabilizes. It’s incredible how much ground we can cover. Trees and streams fly under my hooves with no effort at all. I let myself relax and watch the dangerous territory pass by. I definitely prefer this way over walking back. Zecora finds a small clearing close to her home. It isn’t long until we are safe in the hut.

I sit on a chair as Zecora sets the bag down next to the cauldron. I am glad to be back on solid ground as much fun as that was.

“Ah, my brew is nearly done,” she says merrily.
“Now, the last step has begun.”

She turns to me.

“If you may, please throw some of the flowers into there.

Then use the long spoon and turn with care.”

I get up. “Sure, Zecora. I’m glad to help.” She goes and does something outside. I open the bag and grab a hoofful. The petals are so thick that they’re like paper. I throw them on the surface and then press them in gently. Doing so makes the dark liquid bubble.

Zecora seems to be doing things around the house. I wonder if it’s house cleaning time. She’s putting a lot of things into small bags. After I finish with the flowers, I go out to see what she’s up to.

“I think I got them in now. Do you need help with your organizing?”

“Organizing? No, I am preparing to travel.

To get there safely, I must make sure my things don’t unravel.

It’s a long journey to my home land.

Past dense jungle and hot sand.”

I am surprised as I don’t ever recall her going away from the forest. “Is there a reason for your departure? Like a family emergency?”

She shakes her head after tying a knot.

“I always travel there once a year.

I consider our relationship very dear.

We also love to share and trade.

It’s often medicines we’ve made.”

“Ah, you give them medicine that they don’t make themselves?” I ask.

“It’s the least I can do.”

I decide not to press any further into that. I don’t want to sound like I’m prying into her personal family business. Later, we are in the hut and she has tea set out for us. I like it so I drink some but it’s unsweetened. I am fond of adding sugar in my teas. It’s quiet enough that I can hear the brew settling down. I notice that she is giving me a firm gaze. It can be hard to tell what she’s thinking until she speaks. It reminds me of when she was a stranger to Ponyville. The fear of the unknown is very strong and persuasive under the right circumstances. Even my own fears didn’t leave me fully until I actually came to this place and saw it for what it was. It is certainly unique for what it is but it’s still just a home like mine.

We’ve been good friends for years. I give her candies on her birthday. Her favorite is only the purest of chocolate with no additives like sugar. The pieces are jagged and nearly as dark as tar. Even I think that kind of chocolate has a harshness to it which makes it tough to eat but it doesn’t stop her from enjoying it. I feel that the chocolate helps us to get closer over time somehow. Yes, it’s just a candy but just making it causes me to think about her and the chocolate that even I don’t eat.

“Twist, is there something on your mind?

I am sure it is good; perhaps something of a joyous kind?”

She must notice my pendant so I smile happily and hold it up so she can see it.

“Yes, I got engaged to Sweetie Drops yesterday. It was such a perfect night. It couldn’t have gone better.”

She grins wide and peers into the fine gem.

“Well firstly, congratulations, Twist.
If you came to ask for me to come to your ceremony, I’ll make sure it won’t be missed.”

I would normally be shy to bring up such things but with her, I just feel grateful. “Thank you. I hope you do come when it does happen. Maybe in a year or so. We’ll have to see. But I came to ask you about something a bit more pressing although still related. Our ceremony is going to be just amazing. For somepony as great as Sweetie, nothing less than the best will suffice. I have lots of things planned but for that, I want the Princess of Friendship herself, Twilight Sparkle, to attend.”

“I’m sure that she would love to see such an affair.

Of the marriage of such a wonderful mare,” Zecora says.

“Yes, I’m sure. Of course, getting her to come is the hard part. She’s so busy and I don’t know when or even how I could bring the subject up. She might just say no and I’ll be so disappointed if that happens.” I am not sure if it’s the steam from my tea or my worries that makes my eyes water ever so slightly.

“It is true that Twilight is very busy.

But you don’t need to put yourself in a tizzy.

You’ll find a way to get her help, I am sure.

A perfect wedding, you’ll ensure,” she speaks calmly. I believe she tries to assure me that things will be okay but it’s hard to find faith even in her words. I know I definitely can’t do it on my own.

“Thanks,” I say. “If you can do anything to get me closer to Twilight then I would very much appreciate it. I know you’ve been friends for a long time. I don’t want to sound like I’m taking advantage of course but I am just not in the same position that you’re in to speak to her.”

There is a brief pause as we both sip our tea.

“It may be difficult to help you now, I’m afraid.

I’ll be gone so long, it will be delayed.”

I can’t help but sigh. This entire trip might just be for nothing. Why does she have to go right when I need her? Zecora possibly notices that it’s a setback for me as she tries to cheer me up. But even I barely wish to listen to her wise words at this point. Even my bones are exhausted.

“Twist, there is no need to despair.

You’ll find a way; you’re a smart mare.”

I manage to smile at her compliment but my mind is still burdened. “Yes but it still won’t be very easy. I have a year but Twilight travels all the time. Not to mention she has the whole year booked and planned out as far as I’ve heard.”

“That may be true,” Zecora concedes.

Yet, you can understand how her friendships grew.

There are more ways than being direct.

It involves understanding, kindness and respect.

It’s not something merely to collect.”

I nod and stand up. “It sounds really involved but I guess I got to try.”

Zecora goes and gets me a small flask full of that medicine she made. “For the road,” she says kindly. I take it.

“Thanks.” We both hug each other. Her coat is very soft and it smells of incense.

“I know you have the ability.

Just remember that friendship is the key.”

We say our goodbyes. As I am walking back to town, I think about her advice. It’s a lot to chew on, even for her. I don’t want to believe that she was trying to avoid being direct because she can’t help me. If she was able to stay, I’m sure that it wouldn’t have been any trouble to get me an audience with the princess and to get the ball rolling on befriending her. She not only knows the princess but the ponies that are in the royal inner circle. I don’t think I am aware of any others that are that close. At least in my town. Most ponies don’t go through this kind of trouble. But it’s not trouble, only a privilege. I don’t see Sweetie as just a filly friend; she’s like a princess and I’ll never let my princess down.


I return home and see that the shop is closed. I enter and set my umbrella aside. I need a long bath tonight.

“Hello? I’m home,” I call out. I hear Sweetie’s steps coming down the stairs.

“Welcome back, honey.” I notice how the light coming through the window falls upon her body. Some dried flour in her mane is highlighted and any smudges and smears upon her stand out. With the pendant on her neck, the entire ensemble is just perfect. She is a working mare, loyal to her craft and me.

“Sorry I was gone longer than I wanted. I went to see Zecora in the forest,” I tell her. I lean in and give her a kiss. Her lips are dry and greasy.

“Oh, I don’t mind. How was she?”

“Very well. She’s going to see family soon. I guess we won’t be seeing her for a while.”

Sweetie frowns lightly. “That’s unfortunate. Are you able to get any new shipment of that special sugar?” I realize that I forgot about that. She’s talking about a kind of sugar that we love to use for our signature candy. Zecora knows where to get it and gives it to us nearly for free. Before, I had to use my entire allowance as a child to buy enough just for one batch.

“It didn’t come up actually. We were talking about other stuff,” I admit regretfully. “But we have enough of it for a while, don’t we?”

She does understand why and isn’t disappointed. “I suppose she is happy to hear about us?”

“Very much so. I think we’ll invite her to our ceremony.” Sweetie picks up a notepad and pencil.

“Excellent. Any others you’ve spoken to?”

“Not anypony yet. What are you writing down?” She ceases writing briefly.

“I’m making a reminder about Zecora. It will help for our long term planning. If you make other arrangements, make sure to put them down so you won’t forget,” she says.

“Sure, no problem.” I walk towards the kitchen. “Do you want any coffee? I could use something to pick me up.”

“Alright, make two,” she mumbles. She’s already lost in thought so I head immediately to the stove. Pouring the powder in cups and setting the fire is very routine and soon, I am staring into my own reflection in the kettle. I don’t know why but it’s funny how one can strain to think of an answer to a question and then as they set it aside to do other things, even the most basic of things like bathing, the idea forms in their mind like it was there all along. It was what Zecora said about a key. It didn’t make much sense then but I am coming to realize that she was talking about what I want for my wedding: having Twilight Sparkle attend. And I can think of only one friendship that could be a key; a key buried so far in the past that I will rather avoid the mess that might come with it. Just contemplating it makes me uncomfortable.

I make the coffee and pour some sugar into the cups. I push the thought of friendships and keys aside while I go to Sweetie. I just want to relax and maybe eat some pie later.