• Published 9th Jan 2016
  • 451 Views, 6 Comments

Before Equestria Season One: The War Begins - StrangeFiction



Long before Hearth's Warming, there was the Great War between the three pony tribes. This is an account of that war.

  • ...
 6
 451

Episode 3 - The Recruits

The Soup Spoon Inn, Main Street, Earthen Capital, Earthen Republic, Mid-Day - 3 Years Before the Sack of Swirling Creek

The Soup Spoon Inn was a small inn and restaurant just a short trot down Main Street from the Earthen Republic’s capitol building. It was a favorite eating place for many of the political elite, and frequented by the more knowledgeable of the locals. The friendly atmosphere and excellent food made any pony who visited it once sure to return again.

Soup Bowl, the owner of the establishment, was known as one of the friendliest and most optimistic ponies in all of the Republic, and her carrot-cabbage stew was to die for. It didn’t matter your circumstances, where you came from, or who you were, Soup Bowl was sure to put a smile on your face and a hot bowl of soup in your hooves. Some were even surprised she was able to make a living with how much free product she seemed to hoof out. One thing was for sure - if you were in the Capital City, you needed to visit her and her restaurant.

At least, that’s what Smooth Speaker had heard. When she and her two guards entered the building, however, they were quickly set upon by a group of ruffians who were sitting at the counter.

“Where do you horns think you’re going?” A gruff looking stallion led the other three in blocking the path of the Unicorn company. “I think you’re in the wrong place.”

“Er, sorry?” Smooth timidly took a step back, sizing up the group before her. Upon the loud declaration of the stallion, the restaurant, fairly full for the lunch hour, had gone completely silent, all eyes turned to the drama beginning to unfold.

“This is an Earth Pony business in an Earth Pony city. You’re leaving.”

Soup Bowl had heard quite enough. “Ponies of all sorts come through here. This is the capital city, and ponies come from far and wide. All are welcome-”

“So are you leaving peacefully, or will we have to remove you?” The thugs’ leader continued, ignoring Soup Bowl. Magic began glowing around the Unicorn guards sheathed weapons, and the four Earth Pony goons began to rear back as if about to leap forward. Smooth Speaker looked between her guards and the troublemakers, unsure of what to do.

“Careful, friends.” The voice came from the front door, and the eyes of every pony turned to see a pegasus mare and two pegasus guards standing in the doorway. The mare continued, “You really shouldn’t be threatening Soup Bowls customers. Bad for business. I would hate to see her close her doors, as her carrot stew is better than anything else I’ve ever tasted.”

The red pegasus gave a motion to her guards, who drew their weapons. The Earth Pony thugs began to look unsure. Soup Bowl and the pegasus made eye contact, and Soup Bowl nodded to her in thanks. The thug leader scowled at the exchange.

“Now,” continued the Pegasus. “I suggest that you leave. I don’t think Soup Bowl wants any more trouble in her home.”

After one last glance around the room, the thugs’ leader finally spoke. “Fine. Come on, it seems that we’re no longer welcome here.” The group of thugs moved past the Pegasi standing at the doorway and headed out the door.

“And please,” Soup Bowl called after them, “don’t come back.” The leader of the thugs scowled back at the business pony before finally moving out onto the street. Soup Bowl gave a huge sigh of relief. “That was too close.” She turned back to her customers. “Please, sit wherever you would like. All are welcome in my establishment!” The sound of the busy lunch hour resumed, ponies turning back to their meals and conversations.

Smooth Speaker found herself sitting down with the pegasus who had come in and stopped the hostilities, thanking her for her assistance. “My name’s Smooth Speaker, by the way. High Ambassador for the Unicorn Kingdom to the Earthen Republic.”

The pegasus nodded and smiled. “Firebreath, the same… but for the Pegasus Nation, of course. I sure hope you’re better than the last ambassador your kingdom sent. Steam Blower was the worst public speaker I’ve ever heard.”

Smooth chuckled. “Yes, speaking was always one of his weaknesses; however, his diplomacy skills are second to none. I’ll still be in contact with him for advice.”

Soup Bowl approached with two steaming bowls of her famous stew. “It’s on the house today, ambassadors. Consider it an apology to you, Smooth Speaker. And consider it a huge thank you, Firebreath.”

Firebreath laughed. “No thanks are necessary, Soup Bowl. I would hate to see my favorite place to eat have to shut down due to those idiots. It was actually somewhat greedy!”

“Well, enjoy the soup!” Soup Bowl went back to behind the counter, where she started talking to a couple of zebras who had just walked in.

Firebreath raised her glass and made eye contact with Smooth Speaker. “Here’s to what I hope to be a long and productive friendship!” Smooth Speaker raised her own glass and nodded.


Inside the Capitol Building, Main Street, Earthen Capital, Earthen Republic, Afternoon - 3 Days after the Sack of Swirling Creek

Outside the council chambers, the two ambassadors stood, waiting for the doors to open and let them in. Firebreath glanced over at Smooth Speaker, hoping to catch eyes with her friend. Smooth Speaker knew the look was aimed at her, she had to… but she continued to stare straight ahead.

Firebreath looked ahead herself as the doors began to open, revealing a silent room full of Earth Pony delegates, all looking at the two ambassadors. Firebreath moved forward, knowing that Smooth was doing the same. She felt the doors close behind her and knew that this was the moment of truth.


Neighemburg Castle Courtyard, Neighemburg, Unicorn Kingdom, Afternoon - 3 Days after the Sack of Swirling Creek

Presto gazed at the small group of trainees before him. The eight ponies were all volunteers, wanting to make their mark in the war. The stallions and mares were standing in a line, facing forward in a militaristic style. They were all young unicorns, most raised in small towns near Neighemburg. They had spent the morning getting physicals and filling out paperwork to join the army, and now they were standing before Presto in the castle courtyard, hoping to soon be going out to make their marks.

Presto sized them all up one last time. “I have been asked to give you basic spellcasting training so that you are ready to assist on the front lines. I only have a short time with you, so let’s get started. Each of you, one at a time, must fire a simple magic projectile at that target over there.”

The group looked over at the target, a basic bullseye typically used for archery. A couple of the unicorns looked at each other nervously. “You!” Presto pointed at one of the stallions in the line. “You’re first!”

The young stallion stepped towards the target… and kept stepping towards it. He didn’t stop until he was about five feet away, at which time he lowered his horn, pointing it at the target. A couple of the other recruits snickered.

“The line you are to fire from is back here, young stallion,” Presto placed his hoof on his forehead. “If your enemy is that close to you, you’re probably already dead.” The stallion's face turned red as he walked back to the line.

The stallion turned and focused his attention on the target before him. His horn began to glow, until finally a blast of light shot out of his horn, launching towards the target. It hit the hay bale behind the target, a scorching hole appearing where he hit.

“Next!” Another miss.

“Next!” A window shattered, behind the mare that shot it.

“Next!” This stallion was unable to even produce a magical bolt.

“Next!” A grey unicorn mare with green hair strode up to the line. Confidently, she looked at the target down the line. Presto could tell this mare was going to be successful before she even shot the magical bolt, hitting the target dead center. Before Presto could say anything, she launched two more bolts, both hitting in the exact same spot. She turned to look at him, a smug look on her face.

“Excellent,” Presto proclaimed, walking up to the impressive mare. “It’s apparent that at least one unicorn here knows what she’s doing. What’s your name?”

“Gamine Guttersnipe, but please just call me Snipes.”

Presto winced at the nickname, not being a huge fan of ponies going by names other than their birth names. “I see…”

Star Swirl ran into the courtyard at this point, stopping Presto from saying anything further. The two unicorns made eye contact, and Star Swirl began trotting towards the group.

“Oh, yes… everypony, I would like you to meet my apprentice, Star Swirl. He will be here from time to time to assist me, but for the most part he will be focusing on his studies… which is actually what he should be doing right now.” Presto looked pointedly at his protege.

“A messenger came up to the tower… I told him I knew where you were and would tell you right away.” Star Swirl was unphased by his teachers expression and obvious displeasure. “The King's Council is holding an emergency meeting.”

Presto let out a sigh. “The King won’t even allow me time to do the job he assigned me. Very well. Let’s go. The rest of you, practice hitting that target. Gamine…”

“It’s Snipes, sir.”

“Gamine, make sure to give a few pointers to those who are struggling. Hopefully I will be back soon.”

Star Swirl and Presto began heading towards the castle doors. Just before entering the castle, Star Swirl took a quick look back to see one of the recruits miss the target and hit another pony. The hit recruit immediately spun around and fired back, missing and hitting Gamine Guttersnipe. Gamine immediately leaped on the offending pony and proceeded to beat him with her hooves, all thought of magic use gone from her mind. Star Swirl looked back towards Presto in front of him.

“Do any of them even stand a chance?”

“Ms. Guttersnipe, definitely. The rest? When I’m through with them? Hopefully.” Presto paused in his walk to look back at Star Swirl. “They’re fairly local, and the more talented magic users live in small towns throughout the kingdom. With any luck they’ll arrive soon. For now, these recruits are the best we have to work with.”

Presto continued to lead the way further into the castle, Star Swirl glancing one last time at the brawl going on behind him.


Capitol Building, Earthen Capital, Earthen Republic, Afternoon - 3 Days after the Sack of Swirling Creek

“...The Pegasus Nation doesn’t want to lose an ally in the Earthen Republic, and asks to continue trade at any cost, even sharing the trade with the Unicorn Kingdom. We guarantee safety to all Earth Ponies within our own and within the Unicorn Kingdom’s boundaries. We seek to continue our long and prosperous trade agreement.”

All eyes were on Firebreath as she spoke, standing in the middle of the council chambers. At the conclusion of her comments, she bowed her head down slightly to show respect to the members of the council. She then looked up at Chancellor Frank Furter, awaiting further questions. Frank Furter simply looked to one of the ponies at the desk just in front of him, who looked back and nodded.

“Firebreath,” began this older pony, his tired eyes looking over the Pegasus ambassador. “What is your opinion on this matter? If we are to continue dealing with your nation through you, we need you to agree with this as well.”

Firebreath sized up the bearded pony questioning her. He had a yellow coat and a solid white mane, although she was unsure if this was natural or lost color because of age. His eyes were kind, and she felt as though the question was fair.

“It was my suggestion to do this. I want to make this work and avoid as much conflict as possible.” Firebreath was sure in her response, leaving no doubt as to her conviction to the plan she had presented. The elderly stallion turned and nodded back at Frank Furter.

“Thank you, Firebreath,” the Chancellor stated, looking back up at her. “You may step down. We will now recognize the ambassador from the Unicorn Kingdom, Smooth Speaker, who will present her tribe’s position on this matter.”

After another quick bow, Firebreath stepped off the platform in the middle of the chamber and walked back to her seat near the door. Smooth Speaker avoided eye contact as the two ponies passed one another, despite Firebreaths efforts to get the Unicorn to look at her. Firebreath sat down and watched as her friend walked to the platform.

Smooth Speaker bowed her head slightly before rising up and speaking to the gathered ponies around her. “The Unicorn Kingdom is of very similar mind to the Pegasus Nation. We ask to maintain all trade agreements, even if it means our enemies are still also in trade agreements with the great Earthen Republic. We do ask for a ban on certain trade goods, mainly armor and weaponry, as well as certain materials, such as metals and your best woods.”

The crowd was silent for a couple moments, expecting more. Smooth Speaker had delivered the short speech in a terse and mechanical way, much different from the speech they had just heard from Firebreath. Frank Furter waited a moment more before breaking the silence.

“Firebreath, would the Pegasus Nation find these stipulations agreeable?”

Firebreath spoke up. “Yes, we would find it quite agreeable.” Those were the very same stipulations she herself would have suggested had the Council of Admiralty allowed her to.

“But, Smooth Speaker,” came the voice of the older stallion from before. “What do you think about this agreement?”

Smooth Speaker hesitated a moment, and Firebreath knew she was going against orders when she finally stated, “I disagree with it completely.”

The room immediately erupted with mutterings and whisperings from the Earth Ponies assembled at the desks around the room. There were some gasps at this response, as well, but with a slam of his hoof on his desk Frank Furter quieted the room. Once silence had fallen again, he nodded at Smooth Speaker to continue.

“I feel that the Earthen Republic needs to take a side, and not sit on the fence about this war,” admitted the Unicorn. “That being said, I never have and never will let my personal feelings get in the way of my duty to the Kingdom. Though I don’t agree with the decision of the King’s Council, I will uphold it to the best of my ability.” Smooth slightly bowed her head to show she was done speaking. The old stallion once again looked back and nodded to Frank Furter.

“The Senate will now hold our final counsel before taking a vote,” began the Chancellor. “The ambassadors will be asked to leave until voting is completed, at which time we will call them back to hear the final decision of the Senate of the Earthen Republic. Thank you, councillors.”

Smooth Speaker didn’t even hesitate, quickly turning around and marching right out the doors that were just opened by the guards. Firebreath didn’t even have time to intercept her, and by the time she herself got outside the building, Smooth Speaker was already out of sight.


King’s Council Room, Neighemburg Castle, Unicorn Kingdom, Afternoon - 3 Days after the Sack of Swirling Creek

“Stopped?” Presto looked over at Drake Mace. “What do you mean the advance has stopped? Didn’t it just begin?”

“Scouts have definitely reported that the Pegasus fortress has not progressed any further into the Kingdom,” confirmed Drake Mace. The entire council was at the table, discussing further developments on the front.

General Hound grunted. “Some invasion. You’d almost think they don’t actually know what they’re doing.”

“Don’t be so hasty to judge, Hound,” retorted Dark Cloak, not looking up from his hoof, which he was shining. “My spies report that there has been a slight… disturbance in their ranks. An attempted mutiny or something of that nature. They are quickly recovering, of course, so we may want to take advantage of it while we can.”

“Yes!” Hound looked over to the King. “I can have my entire army there in a couple of weeks. We can end this before it even begins.”

“Surely this is not the only fortress they will be sending into our kingdom.” Presto looked up to the General. “We can’t just send all our forces to one place; besides, it won’t take them that long to get over this little hiccup.”

Drake Mace spoke up. “Presto’s right. Yes, we need to strike, but quickly, and not using the full force of our military. We must defend our other borders.”

“I have some ideas of places where they may strike. My intelligence…”

“We can talk about that in a bit, Dark Cloak.” All eyes turned to King Golden Mark as he spoke. “We need to send some forces to the captured fort right away. What can we get there?”

General Hound squirmed a little. “Not many, sir. Maybe five or six commands, with no spell casters.”

“Without spell casters such a small force will be slaughtered,” Presto argued. “We need more!”

Floren Daisy finally spoke up. “Recruitment is working as fast as they can. Finding Unicorns skilled in magic is very difficult. Not everypony has the talent you do, Presto.”

“You’ll get spell casters to train, Presto,” the King assured, seeing Presto about to argue again. “General Hound, Dark Cloak, meet me in the armory. The rest of you have your jobs, so go do them.”

Everypony around the table gave a quick bow with their heads before all standing and heading towards the door. Presto noted that the King didn’t get up, but stared thoughtfully out the window.

Star Swirl was pacing outside the King’s Council Room, waiting for Presto to come back out. The meeting had not been going on too long, but Star Swirl was anxious and itching for news of what was happening. Finally, the doors opened and Star Swirl stopped to see who was coming out.

“Look, Floren…” Star Swirl stepped aside as Coin Purse, who was talking, and Floren Daisy left the King’s Council room. “I can’t possibly give you more money for your campaign. Arming our soldiers is taking too much of our resources right now…”

The mare's voice faded as she and her companion rounded the corner. Star Swirl watched them disappear, then turned back to the door, only to find himself face to face with General Hound.

“You!” The dark gray stallion seemed angry as well as confused. “You’re still here? I can’t believe the King let you stay. Such an impudent brat, I should give you a good beating right now! The nerve you have…”

“Shut up, Hound.” Dark Cloak appeared out of nowhere, making both Hound and Star Swirl flinch. General Hound glared at the other stallion, as if daring him to try sneaking up on him again.

“If the King let him stay, I think it’s important for us to accept that decision, don’t you? Or perhaps you and I should bring your disagreement up with the King himself?”

General Hound gave one last scowl at Star Swirl before stalking away down the hall. He grumbled as he passed Star Swirl. “I’m watching you, colt.”

“As are we all, Star Swirl,” Dark Cloak approached the young caster. “I have heard of your powers…”

“That was supposed to be a secret,” Star Swirl blurted out, realizing too late that it would be best not to speak.

Dark Cloak chuckled. “Ah, but knowing secrets is my speciality. Rest assured, I’m just as good at keeping secrets as I am at discovering them… tell me, how do you enjoy studying under Presto?”

Star Swirl looked suspiciously at the dark Unicorn before him. He was already not liking this stallion. The smooth tone of his voice was somewhat unsettling. “He really knows magic. I feel it is a great opportunity to be able to study under him.”

“Indeed it is. In the Kingdom there is nopony more suited to help you utilize your powers to their greatest potential; however, he is a bit… old-fashioned. His ideas tend to keep people in the past, as opposed to assisting in the progression of Unicornkind. Although he may share his ideals with you, keep in mind you don’t have to adopt those ideals as your own.”

Now Star Swirl was definitely uncomfortable. Even the way Dark Cloak smiled was extremely unsettling to him. “I guess I’ll keep that in mind.”

Just then, Drake Mace and Presto walked out the door, apparently having just ended a conversation in the other room. Dark Cloak looked over at them, gave a slight bow, and then walked down the hall in the direction General Hound had gone. Presto and Drake Mace both watched him walk around a corner before turning to the young Unicorn stallion.

“Be careful of Dark Cloak,” Drake Mace warned. “He is good at what he does, and that’s not necessarily a good thing for the rest of us. We don’t know what his agenda really is.”

“But isn’t he on the King’s Council?”

“More out of necessity than anything else. Nopony else can really do what he is able to do. He understands his work, and it’s best to have him close and with us, as opposed to working against us.”

“None of us like it,” chimed in Presto. “But it’s true. Best let him well enough alone.”

Drake Mace nodded at Presto's words before turning once again to Star Swirl. “Star Swirl, I’m glad you’ve been allowed to stay. I feel like with your skills and your creativity, you may be sitting on the King’s Council yourself in a few years. Hopefully in a time of peace.”

Presto and Star Swirl nodded to Drake Mace as he walked off to his office. At this point, it was getting dark through the windows, and the castle staff were coming around to light the torches along the walls. Star Swirl looked over at his master, curiosity already burning in his eyes.

Presto shook his head. “I really can’t tell you what goes on in those meetings still, Star Swirl. I haven’t been authorized. Know this, though… Drake Mace is the best King’s Right Hoof that this kingdom has ever had. He’s loyal and experienced, and has never let any of us down. Trust him. He’s a good pony, and he will probably talk to the King about you being able to sit in on our meetings.”

Star Swirl’s eyes lit up at this news. Suddenly, a spell ricocheted through a nearby window and throughout the hall, hitting a mare who was lighting a torch and knocking her to the ground. She glared at the window before picking herself up and continuing her task.

“Maybe we should check on your trainees?” Star Swirl suggested.

Presto gave an exasperated sigh. “Yes, let’s do that.”


Outside the Capitol Building, Earthen Capital, Earthen Republic, Evening - 3 Days after the Sack of Swirling Creek

Thunder Chaser had been one of Firebreath’s guards since she first arrived in the Earthen Capital. Despite not being that much older than Firebreath herself, Thunder was very wise, and Firebreath trusted his advice along with her other advisors. Thunder Chaser was humble, but always willing to help in any way he could.

It had been several hours since the two ambassadors had left the capitol building, and the tension in the air was so thick it almost seemed a pegasus couldn’t fly through it. The two ambassadors and their staffs were huddled off in their own areas, whispering among themselves, planning and making contingency plans whatever the choice of the Earth Republic may be. Thunder Chaser stood a ways off with the newest guard in Firebreath’s detail, Dragon Scale, who had just come in that week.

“Why is Ambassador Firebreath so upset?” the young guard murmured to Thunder Chaser. “Isn’t this what our nation’s citizens live for? The chance to go up in battle against our enemies?”

Thunder Chaser looked over at his young companion, sizing the stallion up. Dragon Scale looked back, almost as if daring Thunder to say something contrary. “You’re young, and it’s understandable that you’d be of that mindset,” retorted Thunder Chaser. “As you grow older, you’ll discover that war isn’t everything in life. In fact, it’s nothing.”

Dragon Scale looked shocked. “Nothing! That is against everything our nation stands for, everything our tradition holds dear! I would have thought an old timer like you would want to be on the front lines, not here on guard duty.”

“You have to understand, war can be difficult on ponies of all races and generations. Ponies die on the field of battle every day. Ambassador Firebreath has taken a real hard hit already during this war. She lost a close friend.” Thunder allowed his eyes to wander to the Unicorn Ambassador and her staff. Dragon Scale followed his gaze.

“The unicorn ambassador, Smooth Speaker?” Dragon Scale scoffed. “I thought their relationship was purely professional!”

“No,” Thunder Chaser sadly gazed back towards Firebreath. “They were very close friends throughout the last several years, ever since Smooth Speaker arrived in the Capital. Every moment they weren’t working was spent together…”

“Well, I say good riddance to her. Enemies cannot be friends, no matter the history that may exist!”

Thunder Chaser looked sadly at the young stallion. “What exactly makes an enemy, Dragon Scale? What makes a friend?”

Dragon Scale was about to answer, but closed his mouth as he saw Firebreath look over at Smooth Speaker, true sadness in her eyes. Dragon turned away from his elder, deep in thought.

Just then, the doors to the Capitol opened, and the two ambassadors walked forward to enter the building. The two pegasus guards watched after them as they entered.

Once inside, the ambassadors were directed to the center of the council chambers, where they stood side by side. Smooth Speaker used all her willpower not to look at her old friend. This was the closest they’d been since Firebreath had last spoken to her. She knew Firebreath was going to try and make eye contact, and she couldn’t allow the pegasus to win that battle.

Chancellor Frank Furter stood up and began addressing the room. “After the vote has been taken, multiple times…” The Chancellor looked over at Stark Opinion and a group of ponies around Stark as he said this. “...we have finally come to a decision that brought the needed majority vote.”

Smooth Speaker looked around the room, noting the reactions of the various ponies, trying to gauge what might have been the choice. Stark Opinion was glaring at the Chancellor, obviously having not gotten his way in the end. Most ponies were averting their eyes from the ambassadors, but none of them looked particularly upset. This was a good sign.

“We will be continuing trade with both the Unicorn Kingdom and the Pegasus Nation,” continued Frank Furter. “With the conditions set by Smooth Speaker of the Unicorn Kingdom.” Smooth noticed the older representative from before giving her a slight smile and nod at this before moving his expression back up to the Chancellor.

“In addition, the following two conditions have been added by this senate: firstly, in order to maintain peace in our capital, the staffs of the two embassies must be reduced to a total of four - the Ambassador, once counselor, and two guards - one to stay with the ambassador and one to stay with her chosen counselor. If extra protection is requested, we will happily provide some extra guards from our military.”

Smooth Speaker nodded. She was expecting something like this to be added to the stipulations if they decided to maintain trade with both nations.

“Secondly,” continued Frank Furter, “neither the Unicorn Kingdom nor the Pegasus Nation will spread any propaganda of their war cause among the Earthen Republic.”

Again, an expected provision. Smooth Speaker glanced over at Stark Opinion, and saw him scowling again, obviously quite upset with these results. Smooth waited for the next provision.

“Smooth Speaker, are these terms acceptable to you and the Unicorn Kingdom?” Frank Furter looked over to the Unicorn.

Smooth was surprised. She was expecting a lot more, more red tape to cross, more hurdles to leap over. Still, she was pleased with the results, as everything came together for the advantage of her nation.

“They are acceptable, Chancellor Frank Furter.”

“Firebreath, are these terms acceptable to you and the Pegasus Nation?”

Firebreath looked up. Smooth Speaker only just noticed that her eyes were on the ground this entire time, and not trying to catch hers as she had suspected. “They are acceptable, Chancellor.”

Frank Furter nodded. “Then this plan will continue forward. All trade between the three nations will resume tomorrow morning, with all bans and stipulations in place. We ask your staff reductions be completed by sunset three days from now. The emergency meeting of this senate is hereby adjourned, and we will meet as per our normal schedule in two days’ time.”

The chambers grew loud as ponies began getting up and leaving. Smooth Speaker quickly turned around and headed out the door, beating the crowd as she went outside. She immediately headed to her staff, and told them to head back to the embassy, as they had a lot to talk about. A whoosh overhead caught her attention, and she looked up to see Firebreath and several other pegasi heading toward their own embassy.

“Ambassador!” A voice came from behind her. “A word, if I may?”

Smooth turned around to see the old representative who had asked the ambassadors of their own opinions of their nation’s suggestions coming towards her. The older stallion had kind eyes and a yellow coat, with wheat as his mark.

“Of course, Representative…” she looked at him inquisitively.

“Prudent Cropper, ma’am,” replied the stallion, giving a small tilt of his head. “A pleasure to make your acquaintance. Nasty business, this war.”

“Indeed,” responded the Unicorn ambassador. “All three of the tribes are going to be affected severely and negatively by this. I don’t think anypony wins when it comes to war.”

“That is very true. Which is why it’s all that more important that we keep our allies close.”

“Yes, very true. I’m glad we can keep trading with…”

Prudent Cropper held up his hoof to silence her, shaking his head. “Yes, yes… tribes and kingdoms certainly. But even more important is our personal allies.” His vision began to go past her, looking off down the street. “Our friends.”

Smooth Speaker turned to look where the old stallion was looking. Down the street, in front of the Soup Spoon Inn, Firebreath was talking to Soup Bowl. She looked to be very much in distress. Soup Bowl calmly pulled the upset Pegasus ambassador in for a hug.

“Friendship is a powerful thing. It can overcome the most terribly wide chasms, and when it does, powerful things can occur. Chasms can sometimes even become smaller, given time.”

Firebreath pulled away from Soup Bowl, wiping at her eyes and regaining her composure. Smooth Speaker almost felt dirty watching this moment, and turned back to Prudent, who was looking right at her now.

“We need as much unity between the three tribes as we can get right now. However small and insignificant it may seem.”

“Prudent Cropper!” Smooth and Prudent looked over to see Frank Furter moving towards them from the Capitol Building. “Could I meet with you in my office?”

“Of course, Frank!” Prudent gave one last quick look at Smooth Speaker, giving her a little wink. “Let’s go, shall we?”

Smooth watched the two politicians move off toward the capitol building once again, and then looked down the street. Firebreath was once again talking to Soup Spoon, although it seemed she had calmed down. Suddenly she felt very uneasy, and her eyes shifted to one of Firebreath’s guards, who was staring at her. Upon making eye contact, the young guard scowled at the Unicorn. Smooth Speaker was taken aback for a moment, but then quickly returned the favor and walked off down a side street, her own guards trailing behind.


Neighemburg Castle Courtyard, Neighemburg, Unicorn Kingdom, Evening - 3 Days after the Sack of Swirling Creek

Star Swirl watched from a distance as Presto faced off against yet another of the trainees. He was supposed to be focusing on a book Presto had given him to study, but was finding watching the trainees fail much too amusing.

Presto continued to stare at the unicorn across from him, who was nervously moving his eyes back and forth, bracing herself for what was coming. Without warning, several fruits launched through the air towards to poor trainee, who in a panic shot several bolts from her horn, all missing the flying fruit. Every single one hit her, not the least of which was a massive watermelon that broke across her face.

“Focus!” came Presto’s admonition. “I’ll say it once, I’ll say it a thousand times - when making magical attacks, you have to focus on one target at a time. It’s vital that you be able to switch focus quickly between each shot, but before the shot, make sure you are only focusing on one thing!”

Star Swirl hid his face in his front hooves, trying not to laugh at the misfortune of the mare, now staggering towards the rest of the trainees. The trainees all looked at each other nervously, intimidated by the task before them.

Gamine Guttersnipe stepped forward, confidence in her stride. “Can I give it a try, sir?”

Presto appeared quite pleased. “Of course, come forward.”

Guttersnipe stood across from the old wizard, ready to show what she could do. Presto and Guttersnipe stared intensely at each other, the mare confidently taking a defensive stance, spreading her hooves apart. Just as she was ready, the fruits came flying. Several magical blasts exited Gamine’s horn, exploding some bananas and an apple, but several of the shots still missed. Another few bursts came out, hitting several more fruits, but still mostly missing.

All the fruits that would have hit the mare were destroyed except one. An orange landed straight on her horn, sticking there. This was too much for Star Swirl, and he fell on the ground, trying hard not to let his laughs vocalize. He could barely hear Presto’s next words.

“Better, but you are trying to hit too many targets at once. Multiple blasts spread out your focus and expend more energy. One target at a time, one target at a time.”

Star Swirl finally got a hold of himself and looked up to see Gamine Guttersnipe staring right at him, obviously irritated. He gave her a little wave and smile. Suddenly, the orange around her horn glowed with her magic and launched straight at the young stallion. Quickly focusing, Star Swirl used his own magic to catch the orange, afterwards peeling it and taking a big bite. Guttersnipe looked surprised at first, but then gave a final glare before walking away.


Council Chambers, Sky Fortress, Sky City, Pegasus Nation, Evening - 3 Days after the Sack of Swirling Creek

Glory Wings looked from the window atop the majestic fortress in the center of Sky City, capital of the great Pegasus Nation. From her window she could see the blacksmith district, pounding away at the armor and weaponry the Grand Army was to make use of. Beyond them, the housing of the city, minimalistic yet effective, could be seen. Beyond that, the edge of the mountain where this city was built, a sheer drop hundreds of meters down. One of the best defenses a city could have, all in all.

The city was built generations ago, and had stood the test of time. While Pegasi could build structures out of and on top of clouds, the ancient Pegasi felt they could build a city on solid ground as well as Unicorns or Earth Ponies could. This city was the result of that ancient pride… a monument to the power of the Pegasus Nation of old.

“Still no news from Noble and the troops in the Southern Unicorn Kingdom?” Glory Wings turned to the center of the chamber, where a messenger stood before the whole council.

“No, Admiral Spawn Raider. At this time we still have not had any news from the forward forces. It is unknown whether orders have been carried out.”

“Very well,” Spawn Raider replied. “You may leave.” The messenger did so, bowing before he headed out. The rest of the ten admirals were deep in thought, and the room was silent for several moments before Admiral Storm Cloud broke the silence.

“Worrisome. Very worrisome.”

“I agree,” threw in Admiral Starry Sea, pushing her mane out of her eyes. “Noble would surely have gotten a message to us by now that he has taken lead of the forces at Cloud Fortress One.”

“If he has,” argued Admiral Moon Lander, his gruff voice filling the room. “Something tells me Thunder Cloud would not give up command easily.”

“He would dare deny the wishes of the Council of Admiralty?” exclaimed Admiral Mountain Soarer, pounding his hoof on leg rest of his chair.

“He has dared as much before,” retorted Moon Lander.

“That is true,” agreed Admiral Floral Pattern, her soft voice catching everypony’s attention. “Perhaps it would be best if we sent another fortress that way to reestablish control and communication.”

“No.” Glory Wings returned to the circle, pulling away from the window.

"You have a better idea, Admiral Glory Wings?” asked Spawn Raider, turning to her.

“If there’s one thing we need to avoid during any time of war, it’s fighting among ourselves,” Glory Wings explained.

Admiral Aerial Loop piped in, “I have to agree with you. We need to send a small group of trusted Pegasi to find out exactly what’s going on, and make a decision from there.”

“One of us Admirals should go.” All eyes turned to Admiral Dragon Core. “Even if letters can be ignored, the presence of one of the Admirals won’t be.”

“I think we can all agree upon that point,” Admiral Time Piece stated, followed by nods around the circle of seats.

“Allow me to go,” Glory Wings asserted, walking to the center of the circle. “I’ll bring my own team. We’ll discover the truth, and I will make sure news is sent back immediately.”

“Very well,” Starry Sea spoke up. “Unless there are any objections…?”

There was a short pause before Dragon Core took the initiative. “None. Glory Wings, you should leave first thing in the morning. Make sure your team is assembled tonight.”

Glory Wings nodded and turned to head out the door. It was time for her to visit one of her closest friends.