• Published 2nd Jun 2012
  • 1,797 Views, 57 Comments

Unwelcome Visitor - The desert brony



The story of Scootaloo and her father.

  • ...
0
 57
 1,797

Chapter 2

Unwelcome visitor Part2

*Two weeks earlier*


Weaving between the apple trees of Sweet Apple Acres, Scootaloo, on her blue scooter, propels herself as fast as she can to the clubhouse of the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Her two friends, Applebloom and Sweetie Belle, would be waiting for her to show so they could decide on what they could do to earn their cutie marks after class. But that was no longer on Scootaloo's mind as she skidded to a halt, tossing off her helmet and bounding up the ramp. Bursting into the clubhouse, she yelled, “Applebloom! Sweetie Belle! The greatest thing in my life just happened!”

The earth and unicorn filly both looked to the winded Pegasus and spoke in unison, “You got your cutie mark?!” Still out of breath, Scootaloo held up a hoof as she took big gulps of air, hardly able to contain her excitement, she looked to her friends.

“You know how I've been living in the orphanage, since my mom died two years ago?” Applebloom and Sweetie Belle nodded waiting for her to continue, “Well, the orphanage found out that I have a father! He wrote me a letter. Here, read it.” Scootaloo handed the letter to her fellow crusaders.


Dear Scootaloo,

I have been told that your mother, Raindancer, has passed away, and that for the past two years, you've been living in a orphanage. It saddens my heart that your mother has passed away, for she was a loving and caring pony, with a mind like none other. But what truly breaks my heart, is that I was never told about you, or the fact that, when I left, she didn't even tell me she was pregnant.

I am sure you have many questions for me and I have many for you too, but the shock of being told that I have a child that my wife had eight years ago was a hard to swallow fact. I hope that, with Celestia's blessing, I'll be able to see you for myself in a few weeks.

Blazewing

As the two the earth and unicorn fillies finished reading the letter, they looked to Scootaloo, both not wanting to say what was on their minds. Scootaloo fluttered her wings with excitement as she hopped around the clubhouse. “You know what this means, girls? I was never an orphan. I have a dad and he's wants to come to Ponyville to see me.” Scootaloo's joy grew with every word, and her happiness was a sign to the other two that they shouldn't say what they were thinking.

“Scootaloo, Applebloom, we are going to be late for school,” Sweetie Belle said, trying to sound worried about being late for Cheerlee's class.

“Right, you two hop in the wagon. I'll get us there fast and then we can go crusading after.” Scootaloo was already galloping down the ramp to prep her scooter.

“If her father comes, then Scootaloo will leave Ponyville...” Applebloom said with sadness creeping into her voice.

Sweetie Belle looked to her with determination and spoke, “Then you know what we need to do... Get Scootaloo her cutie mark before she leaves!” With a smack of their hooves and a goal set, they left the clubhouse .

Scootaloo finished hooking the wagon to the back of her scooter. She hopped on and revved her wings. As soon as her friends jumped into the wagon, they were off racing to the school house with hope that this day would pass quickly.


Present Day

It had been a frustrating two weeks for Sweetie Belle and Applebloom. With over a dozen attempts by the end of the first week, they had done nothing but annoy Rarity, nearly set fire to the Apple Family Kitchen, and somehow made Spike's scales turn a bright blue. But, by Celestia, they were determined to get Scootaloo her cutie mark. It was the only thing that kept the two from thinking about...

“Applebloom! Sweetie Belle!” They heard Scootaloo cry as she burst into the CMC clubhouse, out of breath and panting hard she tried to speak. “My.. father... Ponyville... here... read... letter.” Falling to the ground, Scootaloo pushed a letter closer to them with what strength she had. Dragging her into the clubhouse and placing Scootaloo on an old davenport they got from Applejack, Applebloom and Sweetie Belle opened the letter.

To my dearest Scootaloo,

Today, I have good new for us both. Work has prompted me to be in Hoofington for the next two weeks, and, being only a half a day's flight away, I'll be coming to Ponyville to meet you and your friends. I want to see you after you get out of school, so I'll be there at three o'clock sharp. And if Cheerlee asks, tell her you have a special guest arriving after class. She's an old friend of mine and I would like this to surprise her.

Your loving father, Blazewing

The two looked to Scootaloo who, they now realized, had run all the way from the orphanage to tell them. Applebloom gave her best smile to Scootaloo. Half-hearted as it may be, she was happy for her friend. She remembers the months after Scootaloo's mother had died, both she and Sweetie Belle tried to cheer her up, but to no avail. Even one of Pinkie Pie's parties managed to bring a smile to the young Pegasus's face, right before she broke down and cried in front of the pink party pony. Applebloom had seen her sneak away from the orphanage one night as she helped her older sister, Applejack, close up the apple stand in town. Applebloom found the young Pegasus back at her old home, curled up on a bed too big for her, sleeping with a tear stricken face. The only thing she could think to do was lay down next to her friend, so Scootaloo didn't sleep alone. The next morning was full of explaining to her older siblings where she was last night. Mad as they were, they did understand and offered to let Scootaloo stay the night a few times.

“This is great, Scootaloo!” Sweetie Belle said, with mix of excitement and regret in her voice. “Now, you won't have to stay in that orphanage anymore!” She gave her own smile, a bit more genuine than Applebloom's. Sweetie Belle remembered how, during the first few months that Scootaloo was at the orphanage, she would sneak out, and either flee to her old home or to Rarity's when a sleep over was allowed. During the sleep overs, Sweetie Belle had awoken to hear Scoot's crying as softly as she could, doing her best not to not wake her friends. She knew Scootaloo didn't want to show sadness to anypony, and would try to hide it by going into the bathroom to cry or just crying into a pillow, but one night, she made it only half way to the bathroom before she broke down. Sweetie rushed to her and embraced the shaking, sobbing filly. All Sweetie could do was hold Scootaloo that night, wanting with all her heart to take away the pain her friend endured.

Scootaloo, having finally caught her breath, slipped off the davenport, landing shakily on her hooves. She gave a smile to her best friends, the very ponies who stood by her, even when all she wanted was her mother back. The nights she spent in the orphanage were her loneliest nights. Even with all the other orphans, none had lost a parent like she had. Most had lost their parents to accidents or illness, but she had come home one day after school to only see the lifeless body of her mother, laying in a pool of dried blood. Her smile faded as the memory threatened to overtake her like many nightmares before. She shook her head to clear her mind as it would do no good for her today. Today was going to be the start of a new life with a her father. Then, realization hit her along with her own hoof. “I forgot my scooter! We're going to be late for school if we don't leave now.” The three nodded, quickly grabbed their things and rushed out the door.

As the three of them ran, each was lost in their own memory, but Applebloom cast a look to Scootaloo and held back the despair she felt as the thoughts of losing her friend filled her heart.


************************


“Good morning, class,” Ms. Cheerlee called to her students. Like an out-of tune choir, all the children greeted her warmly. Cheerlee truly loved teaching, having all the little fillies and colts eye her with innocence and glee.

Scootaloo had no such look in her eyes today as she mused over the past two weeks. One of the first letters her father sent her was a picture of himself, telling her it was so she could recognize him when he could finally get time off of work. Scootaloo marveled at how his own coat matched hers, but that was the only thing she noticed that was physically the same about the two. The next letter she sent asked what he did for a living. What she got next, was a new letter with only a picture and five other ponies, dressed in full body uniforms of red, yellow and orange, in a stylized fire pattern of a phoenix. Each member had their goggles and hoods off, and above each pony, was the autographed name of the member, but Scootaloo didn't care about any of the ponies, save for one. She clearly saw her father standing in the middle of the photo, with a wide grin on his face, being the tallest member. The scratch and tak of chalk drew Scootaloo's attention to the blackboard, as her teacher wrote a few math problems. She began to drift again.

Scootaloo, off again, thinking of her father's letter about his travels around Equestria. From Manehatten to Las Pegasus. Even though his letter named a few more well-known cities, the ones he mentioned most were smaller towns. She heard her name called. “Four.” Was all she said in response. The reflex jarred her from the memories. Scootaloo focused her eyes to the speaker to find Ms. Cheerlee grinning with happiness. With a “good job,” her teacher turned and wrote the answer on the board. Scootaloo realized that most of the questions on the board were ones she struggled with the past week. She copied the problems onto her paper quickly as the school bell rang signaling the start of recess.

*******************************


The bell rang, ending recess as all the fillies and colts marched back inside. The crusaders marched in with the others, with manes full of sand after attempting to make sand sculptures.

Once Ms. Cheerlee started teaching again, Scootaloo found it hard to focus on the history lesson. On a normal day, history was easy for her. All she needed to do was copy names, dates and locations, but today was torturous in how long it dragged on. The past two weeks were fun with her friends as they attempted, almost feverishly, to earn their cutie marks, and by day's end, she would curl up in her bed at the orphanage and read the letters her father wrote. She wanted to ask why he left and why he never came back, but asking over a letter felt cowardly to her. She started to shift in her seat as she mulled over how she might ask that very question, but the tak-tak of chalk on the blackboard made her groan loudly. Ms. Cheerlee was writing about the history of Cloudsdale. Scootaloo looked at her paper. It was a mess of disjointed notes. She switched to the clock and began to scuff her hoof on the floor in frustration and let another groan escape her.

“Scootaloo!” Cheerlee cried out, as she gave her a irritated glare. “I would hope that you have a reason for interrupting my class?”

“Yes. no- I mean..” A nervous grin etched across her face as she looked to Applebloom and Sweetie Belle for help, but only got worried glances in return.

“And what, may I ask, is so important that you need to disrupt class for? If it's crusading you're thinking about, it must wait 'til after class.” Cheerlee turned back to the chalk board, about to begin her teaching again.

“It's not crusading, I'm waiting for my-” Scootaloo found her hoof in her mouth before she blurted out the surprise to her teacher, but cursed to herself, because now the whole classroom was looking at her with curious eyes.

Cheerlee turned to face Scootaloo again. “Waiting for your what, Scootaloo? What or who could be so important that you can hardly sit still in class?” Her tone was kind, but had lingering hint of disappointment in her student.

The look on Cheerlee's face told Scootaloo that she wanted an answer, with a sigh of defeat she look to her teacher. “I have a special pony coming to see me and the class today right after school. I wanted it to be a surprise to everypony and I didn't think I needed to say anything to you about it, because it was happening after class.”

Cheerlee looked to the clock and noted that it was almost time for class to end. “Okay, Scootaloo. For your punishment, you're going to tell the whole class who you invited.” She grinned cheerfully as Scootaloo squirmed in her chair.

Scootaloo glanced at the clock, fifteen minutes until class ended, but she had to think of something to say. “W-well, he's a Pegasus-”

“Oh, that's good.” Diamond Tiara chirped in. “Maybe this one can teach you how to fly, blank flank.” Silver Spoon giggled at her comment, which drew a disapproving glare from Cheerlee.

“Now girls, that will be enough out of you two.” The stern tone softened as Cheerlee addressed Scootaloo again. “Now, what does this pony do for work, Scootaloo?”

Beads of sweat began to roll off her forehead as Scootaloo tried desperately to think of how not to spoil this surprise. “Well, he's required to travel a lot.” Mentally cringing, she looked around the room to see the classes reaction.

“A traveling pony? Like a train conductor?” One classmate spoke. “Or maybe he gives flight tours to ponies across Equestria.” Another student chimed in, soon the whole class was buzzing, trying to guess the stallion's occupation.

With five minutes left until the end of class, the chatter died down and all the fillies and colts looked to Scootaloo, eyes begging for more on this mystery stallion. Diamond Tiara spoke up again. “Is that all you have to tell us, or is this just some dumb prank you're trying to pull?” The snarkiness of her tone didn't escape Cheerlee.

Cheerlee turned to Diamond Tiara, but Applebloom spoke quickly, “This ain't a hoax. If Scootaloo says he's gonna be here, then he'll be here.”

“Ok, I'll believe you Scootaloo, if you just tell us one more thing about him.” Diamond Tiara said, with a snide grin.

Scootaloo's apprehension at its peek, she saw this as her last chance to stall for time. “And what would that be?”

Extending a hoof out and admiring it, as if it had been perfectly filed, “If you tell us his name, I'll-..” The snarky comment was cut off by a loud boom outside.

“He's here!” Scootaloo cried, as the bell rang signaling the end of class. Despite the protests of Cheerlee, her class poured out of the school room and into the warm afternoon sun. Scootaloo, head pointed to the sky, could see her name written in blazing letters as an orange Pegasus corkscrewed down to the ground. Landing with a small thump, the Pegasus removed his goggles, a smile graced his face as he looked at the school children.

Scootaloo ran up to Blazewing, nearly tripping over her own hooves in excitement. She tilted her head up to look at Blazewing, with a cheesy grin on her face. Her gaze first came to his face, his eyes were a dull sun-bleached orange, unfocused, as if lost in thought. The hair around his left eye was thin, probably due to an accident, she thought. His brown mane was unevenly parted due to his flight. Lean but strong muscles were hidden beneath the moderately thick coat of orange fur.

Blazewing looked upon this little filly and felt the sting of tears begin. Even with the photo she sent him, seeing her reminded him of Raindancer. From her smile, to her wide bright eyes that were full of life, and the very color and style of her mane. It reminded him too much of what he lost. Not wishing to break down, he looked to the quickly growing crowd of children. “Would you like to do the introductions, Scootaloo?”

With a quick nod of her head, she turning to her class. Puffing her chest with pride, she spoke loud enough to be heard over the mummers and whispers of her classmates. “Everypony, I want you to meet Blazewing, member of the daredevil stunt team, Phoenixwings, and...” she paused purely for dramatic effect. “My father.”

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon stood slack-jawwed as the rest of the class crowded around and pelted Blazewing with questions.

Applebloom and Sweetie Belle stood outside of the crowd, feeling hesitant of approaching, but one thought echoed in their minds. Scootaloo was going to leave Ponyville. Now, they had a new feeling to contend with. Despair. Thoughts of never seeing Scootaloo again danced around their minds as Applebloom tried to hold her tears in check, but Sweetie Belle dashed through the crowd of fillies and colts. Knocking them over like bowling pins, she raced to her friend.

Applebloom soon followed and the two friends latched onto Scootaloo. Bawling like babies, they hugged her with all their might. In their hearts, they felt this may be the last time they saw their best friend.

“What the hay has gotten into you two?” Scootaloo screeched at her friends as they held her in a vice-like grip.

Applebloom was the first to recover, but never loosened her grip, “N-now that your *hic* father is here... he's gonna take ya away! You said so yer'self that he travels a lot, *hic* we'll never see ya again!” She broke down and cried even harder this time, soaking Scootaloo's mane and coat in tears.

Sweetie Belle spoke next. “And we tried so hard to get you your cutie mark before you left, because once you're gone... we'll never get to go crusading again!” She could only hold her friend and shake with sorrow.

Scootaloo's own sorrow started to well up as the words of her friends hit her. In the past two weeks, she never thought that she would need to leave Ponyville, Ms. Cheerlee, or her friends. Once more, she felt loss in her life. She hugged her two fellow crusaders, not wishing this to be real. Scootaloo prayed to Celestia that this was not how her life was going to treat her. To lose her mother and now her friends, just to have a father, was cruel and unfair.

The young foals gathered around the three sobbing fillies were more confused than sad, and the one adult stallion stood there and smiled. The sounds of crying were silenced when he spoke. “Now, what makes you think I would do something that uncool?” A pert smirk crossed Blazewing's face. “Even though I travel...a lot...Ponyville used to be my home and it still is.” The three fillies rubbed the moisture from their eyes and looked to Blazewing. “From the very first letters I read about you two,” Blazewing pointed a hoof at Applebloom and Sweetie Belle, “I knew if I took Scootaloo away from Ponyville, it would hurt all of you. So I had a chat with the Mayor and we have a place to call home.”

With a leap into the air the three cheered, their joy spread to the crowd of foals around them, who also began to woop and holler at the happy news.

Applebloom rubbed the wetness from her eyes. “So what did Scootaloo tell you about us?” Her eye raised with curiosity as she looked up to Blazewing.

A full smile graced his face as he spoke again, “Scootaloo told me a lot about you two. How the three of you go crusading for your cutie marks, and how you entered in a talent show and got 'best in comedy'.” Chuckling at the memory of the letter, “I wish I had been there to see it.” A deep content sigh escaped his lips as he watched the three little fillies pulled themselves apart from the once sad embrace. Clearing his throat to get the fillies attention again, “I need to talk to your teacher. Ms. Cheerlee, is there a place we can go grab a treat that I can meet you at?”

Scootaloo knew just the place. “Sugarcube Corner. It's a big bakery that looks like a gingerbread house. You can't miss it!”

Nodding in approval, “Okay, girls. I'll meet you there after I get done talking with your teacher.” He watched as the three squealed in delight and ran off, but not before Scootaloo gave him a quick hug before joining her friends once more.

Cheerlee had stood in the doorway of the schoolhouse, watching the scene play out before her. Mouth agape and stunned, she tried, with all her might, to believe that this was some dream turned into a horrible nightmare. The crowd of children had dissipated after the Cutie Mark Crusaders left, leaving Cheerlee and Blazewing face to face.

“It's been a long time, hasn't it, Cheerlee?” As Blazewing spoke, Cheerlee could tell that his words had no malice in them, but remembering the past all too vividly, they served to send shivers up her spine. “Y-yes it has been... W-would you like to step inside?” She cursed to herself as she allowed her years of teaching and dealing with parents override her desire to run.

“Yes, I would. Thank you, Cheerlee.” Blazewing entered after Cheerlee stepped back into the schoolhouse. He watched her take very nervous steps over to her desk and sit down. Taking a seat on the other side of the desk, he stared at the school teacher with a flat emotionless expression.

Cheerlee was no foal, she knew Blazewing could see right through her attempt to hide any fear. By Celestia, he was a pony who did death-defying stunts for a living. But no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't say a word to him. She knew him well enough to know his violent side. Should she run, he would be at the door in the blink of an eye with a hoof raised to knock her down. Cheerlee remembered the one night in Trottingham. The one night burned into her mind forever...

**********************

The show was about to end, both Raindancer and I had left early, to avoid the hoard of ponies that would spew from the stadium once the performers left. With the event tonight, many of the streets oil and firefly lamps were lit to make the cobblestone paths safe to walk. But from the shadows, a unicorn sprung with a crazed look in his eyes and a knife held in magical grasp. Both of us began to back away from the crazy stallion as he advanced on us, until he lunged.

Splitting apart, the stallion crashed to the street, the two of us ran in separate directions. She ran to the rundown housing district, I ran back the way we came. After losing sight of Raindancer, I ran as fast as I could back to the stadium. I dared not look back should that crazed pony be after me. Hearing no hoofsteps behind me, I looked back briefly and saw nothing. Turning my head forward again, I crashed into Blazewing as he landed in front of me. Quickly, I told him of the attack and led him back to its site. Once we were there, Blazewing and I called out for Raindancer. A cry of pain pierced the night, and Blazewing took flight. I ran after him. He was too fast for me to follow, but the howl of rage I heard next chilled me to the bone. Rounding a corner, I froze. Before me, I saw Raindancer. Beaten with one wing twisted, slashed, and frayed, one eye swollen shut and her breath coming in short, pained gasps due to lacerations across her front legs and chest.

It wasn't 'til a guard pulled me away that I looked up from my friend to see four guards were holding Blazewing back, as another was checking the stallion who attacked us. The unicorn was on the ground, still and unmoving, not a single twitch. The guard moved me away from the scene, and asked me questions about what happened. I told him everything.

**************************

“I don't blame you.” The words snapped Cheerlee from her memory. She focused on Blazewing again and found him with his eyes closed, but the same emotionless face. “I don't blame you for what you said to Raindancer almost ten years ago.” He continued, his voice flat and steady. “You were only looking out for her, thinking that I was cheating on her that night.”

“That's in the past, Blazewing. Nothing can be done about that now.” She felt her anger start to rise at the mention of that night, drunk off her flank as she was, she still believes what she saw. Now, she wondered what he was playing at, bringing up that event.

“True, nothing can be done about that any more, but I can still make it up to her. You were her best friend, Cheerlee. You are the only pony who I'm willing to say this to any more.” Blazewing stopped and took a deep breath, then looked into Cheerlee's eyes. “I promise, I will take care of Scootaloo and be a true father to her.”

The words hit Cheerlee like an anvil. He never made promises to anypony, save for Raindancer. Of all the times he made a promise to Raindancer, not once did he ever fail to come through. However, she knew him well enough that he never made a promise to any other pony. “You're serious... b-bu-but why make this promise to me and not to Scootaloo?”

“Because, this is what I would have promised to her if she was alive today. You are the only pony to know Raindancer as good as myself. She trusted you over me that day.” Blazewing gave a deep sigh as he placed a hoof over his left eye. “I still have a scar from that day to remind me, I never broke a promise to her and this is the last one I can make to her. You are my witness to this, because she trusted you, and I should trust you as well.”

Cheerlee sat stock still absorbing his proclamation. After a few moments passed, her eyes narrowed into a glare. “Alright. I've heard your promise. But if you so much as preen her wrong, I'll be the one who bucks you out of town.”