• Published 29th Oct 2015
  • 506 Views, 10 Comments

The seething sea ceaseth and thus Shimmering Sea hast savethed us - kitten_girl86



Life changes for an adopted unicorn as she searches for her real parents.

  • ...
3
 10
 506

Chapter 4

Breakfast consisted of delicious flapjacks; plain for Twilight, Fluttershy & Ivory, shredded kelp for Shimmering Sea, crushed rubies for Spike, strawberries for Ribbon and blueberries for Dusty. There was also apple & orange juices, tea, coffee and caramel drizzled apple slices.

“Mom always makes the slices herself,” Shimmering Sea said proudly as she levitated a piece to her mouth. “Grows them trees in the backyard from seeds she planed the day we adopted Shimmer,” said Ribbon. “Glad to know at least that story is still the same,” Shimmering Sea grumbled as she stuffed the last of her flapjacks into her mouth.

The group of three mares and one dragon were quiet as they walked the few blocks to the beach. Shimmering Sea quietly pointed out the Seashore Manehattan Orphanage as they used the crosswalk to reach the beach... the same beach that Shimmering Sea earned her cutie mark all those years ago.

This early in the morning, very few ponies were out on the beach; an earth pony surfer hurried out to catch the first waves of the day, young couple pushed a foal carriage across the boardwalk and a unicorn mare jogged alongside a clearly happy dog with a stick in its mouth.

“I've looked over the spells that Princess Celestia sent me and although they’ll work on ponies they won’t work on dragons. So instead, Dusty found me this old fish bowl in the attic for me to enchant with an oxygen spell for Spike to wear.” Twilight produced the bowl in question from her bulging saddle bag. Spike looked at the bowl apprehensively but knew that he could not follow without it so he stuck it on his head.

Twilight and Fluttershy walked a few meters into the water of the beach but Shimmer hesitated on the sand. Spike, with his magical breathing bowl grudgingly over his head, splashed his way under the water so he would not be seen by any pony.

Shimmering Sea watched as Princess Twilight ignited her magenta magic to surround the three of them. But something inhibited the magic from reaching Shimmer and it only affected the other two; giving them gills on the neck, fins on the hooves and turned the wings into something that more resembled those of a dragonfly.

Instead, a new aura of magic appeared from the water, grabbed onto the pearl of the necklace, turned her eyes into a bright light and coaxed Shimmering Sea to enter the water. She walked right past the other two without acknowledging them at all and kept going. It was not until she was neck deep in water that the magic finally released her but by then, her necklace was in the water and it took over.

Twilight and Fluttershy watched in shock as some force knocked Shimmering Sea forwards into the water and underneath. “Twilight; she did not get the gills from your magic! She’ll drown if we don’t go help her!” squeaked Fluttershy.

The two of them dove down into the water, learning how to breathe quite easily. Spike caught up with them, grumbling something about how it sucked that dragons were immune to transformer magic before noticing Shimmer and dropping his jaw open.

They watched as Shimmering Sea’s own magic swirled from her horn to the side of her head under the ears, producing gills of her own. Fluttershy cowered behind Twilight as they watched Shimmering Sea floated in the dark water, her eyes still a bright white light. Despite the relief of seeing the gills, they were unsure as to what to do next.

The pearl on her necklace continued to pulsate with magic as it was released into the water, combining with Shimmering Sea’s own unicorn magic and enveloped her in light and magic. They could not see much but watched in disbelief as fish scales appeared on her lower front hooves and more appeared at her middle section.

Shimmering Sea felt nothing but love and pure joy as the magic overcame her body. Somehow she knew that this was ‘right’ and it was like she was coming home. A part of her mind was screaming, “What the heck is going on out there??” but it was very tiny and barely registered as a delightful feeling burst from her tail end and the light slowly dissipated.

The magic finished, Shimmering Sea lowered her body to the sandy bottom and simply breathed. She no longer felt her back hooves and hesitantly opened her now normal eyes to see a huge fish tail had replaced her whole back half of her body; cutie mark surrounded by fish scales; a large tail fin about six hooves wide by four hooves long, striped mane blue and cutie mark white.

Shimmering Sea stared at the beautiful merpony tail and stroked it with a front hoof. “I don’t know how I know.... but.... I'm home,” she said just before she passed out.

~*~

Twilight, Fluttershy and Spike were astounded at what just happened. But they weren’t sure what to do with her now that Shimmering Sea was clearly now a merpony. “We can’t take her back to the surface and we can’t just leave her here,” said Twilight.

“I may have a solution, your highness,” said a new voice. The two friends looked up to see another merpony swimming towards them.

She had the look of age to her; pale teal body, darker teal hair streaked in grey, dark tail fins and a piece of coral for a cutie mark; no horn or wings... “An earth pony had she been on land,” thought Twilight as the mare bowed.

“My name is Coral Blossom, your highness... the birth mother of your unconscious friend.”

Author's Note:

Yeah, a little shorter but no less exciting! :pinkiehappy: How will Shimmering Sea take this new turn of events? :rainbowderp: We'll just have to wait and find out in the next chapter! :moustache:

[1] Pony half came from http://www.dolldivine.com/mlp-fim-pony-creator.php while I photo shopped and used Paint program to make the tail.