• Published 29th Oct 2015
  • 507 Views, 10 Comments

The seething sea ceaseth and thus Shimmering Sea hast savethed us - kitten_girl86



Life changes for an adopted unicorn as she searches for her real parents.

  • ...
3
 10
 507

Chapter 1

Hours later, the party had ended and Ribbon Rose kept herself busy in the kitchen as Gusty Cloud transferred all of the presents into Shimmering Sea’s bedroom while Shimmer & Ivory Vision said their good-byes & thank-you-for-comings at the door.

As the last of the guests left, it was like the whole house AND everypony inside it breathed a sigh of relief!

But that was not the end of the night... not by a long shot...

Shimmering Sea had gone into her room to sort out all of her presents and begin to write thank you cards to all of those who came that day. But when she heard her mother’s sweet voice call from the main room, she got up and curiously returned to the living room to find all three adults sitting. Granny Ribbon was in her rocking chair, working on yet another knitting project; Gusty and Ivory were on the couch. They asked Shimmer to join them...

...and what they told her pretty much broke her heart. She never knew she was adopted nor the real story about how she got her cutie mark, let alone her real age when it happened. “Now that you are old enough,” said Ivory through light tears “we think that you’re old enough to know the truth. If you want to go find your birth family, we will not stop you. We will support you because we love you no matter what.”

Gusty got up from the couch and hovered up to a shelf only he could reach. He took down a small wooden box and showed Shimmering Sea the contents: the adoption records, birth certificate, a picture of the family the real day she got her cutie mark (the Royal guard photo-bombing in the back), and a good-sized snail shell, topped with a pearl, necklace.

Despite not being able to see much, Ivory took the necklace in her telekinesis and floated it to Shimmering Sea and placed it around the mare’s neck. “This necklace was found with you when you were left on the steps of the orphanage. The personnel of the orphanage thinks it was left by which ever parent left you there. You are now old enough to care for it yourself; and the same goes for the contents of this box. “

Shimmering Sea was so shocked and dismayed by the secrets her whole family had kept from her. She didn’t know what to say and she did the only thing she could do: run out of the room. A few seconds later, the adults heard a slam and Ivory heard a tiny thump that went unnoticed by the others. “Give her some time, dearie,” wisely said Ribbon Rose. The sound of loud sobbing could be heard throughout the entire house.

An hour or so later, Gusty had cleaned up the party, Ivory had finished the dishes and Ribbon volunteered to check in on Shimmering Sea.
The grandmother slipped silently into the child’s room.

“No,” she thought. “Not a child anymore.” Now at 16, her granddaughter was anything but a child; especially on a day like this. She had warned her son to tell the girl the truth many times in the past but he didn’t listen.

The young mare had clearly cried herself to sleep; curled up with her over-sized teddy bear – her back to the door – and a small pile of used tissues either in or around her trash bin. She still had her mane & tail up in their ties and all were now badly mussed.

Ribbon Rose’s back crackled as she bent over to pick up the –mercifully undamaged- shell necklace from the front wall where it had clearly been thrown in anger (the tiny thump that Ivory had heard earlier).

She knew that by telling the truth, she may be losing her own granddaughter but she was very wise in her old age; it was selfish to hide the truth. She would NOT be selfish anymore and she’d support the girl no matter what she’d decide.

She silently approached the bed and flicked away any tissues left on the bed before draping the girl with a large faded Princess Celestia blanket and carefully leaving the necklace near her hooves.

Shimmering Sea stirred ever so slightly in her sleep but did not wake.

“Sleep well Shimmering Sea. Tomorrow will be a new, brighter day.”

Author's Note:

I'm hoping to have more chapters posted after Nightmare Night. :raritywink: