• Published 5th Aug 2012
  • 2,630 Views, 93 Comments

Martin: Dark Inferno - CrypticMetaphor



The Third entry in the Martin Chronicles

  • ...
5
 93
 2,630

Chapter 8: WTF?!

Sortitus sat on Martin’s equestrian couch as the human in question glared at him. Both Applejack and Twilight noticed the hostility and immediately left the room but keeping a bit of distance to listen in and so they could intervene if necessary.

Sortitus regarded Martin for a moment before speaking, “How are things with AJ?”

Martin responded with the same glare he had been giving the aspect since he sat down which caused Sortitus to sigh, “You have every right to be angry with me but this aggression will not help matters.”

Martin looked to the side for a moment as Sortitus shook his head, “Martin just get it out of your system now so we don’t have to deal with this at a later date.”

Martin snorted, “Fine. All of the things that had transpired up till now have been among the WORST in history for both worlds. Doing what you did to Lupe was cruel and horrible she is an absolute WRECK thanks to you!”

Sortitus leaned back as Martin inhaled sharply, “But that was the straw that broke the camel’s back. The other reason I snapped was because of a question that has been bothering me since I met you and your brother. All the things, good and bad, that happened to me and everyone else. Did you know they would happen before they did?”, Martin already knew the answer.

Sortitus nodded, “Yes, and then some.”

Martin lost it, “I KNEW IT!!! UNBELIEVEABLE! You knew Lupe would go bad and you knew Discord would be freed before ANYONE ELSE!!”

Martin crossed the room and grabbed Sortitus by the cloak, to which the aspect made no move to object as he was lifted off his feet, “What really burns me up is the fact that everything could have been prevented if you told us immediately! WHY DIDN’T YOU!? YOU SAID THAT YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO KEEP THE UNIVERSE IN CHECK! Did it ever occur to you that maybe telling your “champion” about these things would be a good idea!?”

Sortitus looked at the floor, “You don’t understand…”

Martin seethed, “THEN TELL ME WHY!”

Sortitus nodded, “Fine…but could you put me down please?”

Martin obliged as Sortitus straightened his robe and sighed as he heard more visitors enter the house to which he merely ignored, “I did and do know what is happening and what is coming for all of us. But you see I am forbidden to directly interfere with mortal affairs UNLESS if it’s necessary or if I have to.”

Martin noticed the way he spoke the last few words, “You’re saying it like the only way you can help us is if you’re supposed to.”

Sortitus gave a weak smile, “That is what I’m saying.”

Martin sat down, “Seriously?”

Sortitus nodded, “Yes.”

Martin raised his hands in the air, “Then why not help earlier!?”

Sortitus looked straight into Martin’s eyes, “I am governed by fates design and flow and even I am forbidden to change it. As is the way it has been and it shall be.”

Martin leaned forward and stared at the ground in exhaustion. Sortitus looked behind him and noticed the six along with Lupe, Alan, and The Princesses staring at them which who he smiled at as he looked back at Martin.

Sortitus spoke depressed, “Do you know what it’s like to watch beings deaths and paths leading to them and the feeling that you’re powerless to even divert it even slightly? It’s agony. I have lived with this curse for my entire existence and it has kept getting progressively worse. It tore me apart to do what I did to Lupe…what I did to your life all those weeks ago. I don’t even deserve forgiveness for my actions-“

He felt a tap on his shoulderwhich caused him to turn around to see Lupe with her hair down wearing a plain white shirt with matching pants and slipper-like shoes. Sortitus blinked a few times as he stood up and stared at her with regret.

Sortitus placed a hand on her shoulder, “My apologies Lupe. I wished I could have saved you but I could not and for that-“

Lupe then did something that completely surprised all in the room, she wrapped her arms around Sortitus and hugged him tight.

She then spoke in a hushed tone, “I forgive you.”

Sortitus was completely surprised at the action as was Martin and they both said at the same time, “Why?”

She stood between Martin and Sortitus and addressed both of them, “I was never mad or hurt about what happened to me that day. Being in that tower for three weeks gets a girl thinking. I deserved to punished for what I did because it was immature and COMPLETELY crazy. Plus I can’t stand to see both of you this way, you guys are friends right?”

Martin sighed, “Yeah…but that doesn’t mean I have to forgive him so easily.”

Sortitus nodded in agreement, “As I said you have every right not to.”

Pinkie Pie suddenly brought both human and aspect into a friendly hug, “YEAAAHH! Martin and Sortitus are friends again. AWWWW but Martin’s human already? Time for some new party plans,” She then put on a headlight hat as she proclaimed, “BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD!!”

She then bolted out the door causing Aequivalere to follow her with his eyes, “Such an odd mare.”

Fluttershy just giggled, “That’s Pinkie Pie for you.”

Sortitus the clapped his hands together as he fidgeted slightly, “Now to the business at hand.”

Alan and the rest of the group took seats to listen, “So what’s the word Gandalf?”

Sortitus looked at Alan for a second only to lightly chuckle at the comparison but became all business when his brothers joined him at his sides, “The news I bring is most grave in nature and deadly in threat. After cleaning up the last bit of mess from Discords rampage through Earth I found…an anomaly in the dimensional barriers.”

Celestia leaned forward, “What kind of anomaly?”

Phobos answered the question with a tone of concern, “A dimensional hole.”

Aequivalere spoke with dread, “And it’s growing larger.”

Martin looked at Twilight. “That’s bad right?”

Twilight was completely afraid in her response, “Yep.”

Sortitus nodded with a grim expression, “It gets worse. Something’s coming through the hole and is causing immense disturbances as it’s breaking through.”

Rarity was very anxious in her response, “What is the ghastly thing.”

Sortitus somberly looked at Phobos and Aequivalere before he inhaled and sadly answered, “Our older sister Averius the Aspect of Creation.”

Luna was very distraught at this, “Lady Averius!? But…how?”

Martin fixed the aspect trinity with a look, “I haven’t asked much on the subject before but who exactly is part of your family?”

Sortitus looked at Aequivalere who nodded to which Sortitus complied, “Know this, my family has been alive since the first star ignited so it is not uncommon for us to be…different,” Sortitus cleared his throat as he stood and looked out the window which he approached, “In the beginning there was one of us, Our older brother to be precise. He raised the rest of us and taught us the ways of all that is and all that shall be. However as the millennia past us by some of us got…corrupted or twisted along the way. The first was Discord and the second was Phobos. The third was Averius and the last was…”

Sortitus didn’t finish but everypony got the message as he turned to faced them all once more, “The short of it is that when they were twisted and corrupted we as a family had to stop them. Some were easier than others.”

Fluttershy looked at Phobos, “But how did you become evil…if you don’t mind me asking that is.”

Phobos looked at all the eyes on him, “A dark malicious force entered me and twisted my very being to the point of my mind, body, and soul being corrupted into what you all saw.”

Aequivalere placed a hand on his younger brother’s shoulder, “But we saved you and destroyed that THING that was inside you.”

Phobos looked down, “That force was like a nightmare incarnate.”

Luna fidgeted at the word nightmare but Sortitus continued, “Averius however succumbed to powerful dark magicks that destroyed her from within and turned her into a creature of pure rage and destruction.”

Applejack spoke next, “How in thunderation are we goin to stop somethin like that?”

Sortitus shook his head, “You’re not.”

Alan looked at Martin with a worried expression until Sortitus finished, “WE are.”

All the ponies and humans looked at him, “We will help you for it is our duty.”

Martin stood up, “Okay two things. One, what do you mean duty and Two, shouldn’t there be signs of Averius breaking through something that important?”

Sortitus raised a finger for each answer, “Destiny has foretold we are able to assist and two you became a pony out of nowhere remember.”

Martin pointed at Sortitus quickly, “Touché.”

Lupe looked at the aspects, “What does Martin turning into a pony suddenly warrant disaster?”

Sortitus sighed, “That was a minor tremor. The REAL threat is that as Averius breaks through back into reality she is unknowingly making the hole bigger and bigger.”

Twilight was both scared and intrigued, “What happens if the hole gets to big?”

Sortitus thought for a second, “Well to put it simply more odd occurrences will happen AND they will steadily increase in frequency. Also the worst part of this is the fact that as the walls break down both worlds will begin to-,” he made a combining gesture with his hands, “-merge.”

Rarity was not that worried, “That doesn’t sound too bad.”

Sortitus smiled, “did I forget to mention that two worlds and their respective dimensions can’t exist in the same space. And that also they implode five minutes after the successful merger.”

Rarity was whiter than usual as Sortitus continued, “We need to close the hole and prevent Averius from breaching the barriers between worlds or all of creation will go up in smoke.”

Rainbow was confused at the comment, “Why smoke?”

Celestia turned to Rainbow, “It’s because Lady Averius’s divine form was that of a firebird or phoenix and that she wields both the flames of creation and destruction.”

Alan waved a hand, “How big can she be then.”

Phobos regarded him for a second, “Think of a firebird with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns the size of the Chrysler building.”

Alan, Lupe, and Martin were all wide eyed whereas the others were merely puzzled at the comparison.

Aequivalere looked at the ponies, “320 meters high.”

All of the ponies were shocked as their human friends now as Sortitus looked at all of them, “But fear not we just need to close the hole on both sides. But in order to do that we MUST figure out what door Discord used to travel to Earth and where he landed.”

Phobos raised his hand, “He used the bridge in its incomplete state which caused this whole damn mess in the first place.”

Martin leaned back, “What’s the game plan.”

A pair of voices was heard behind them, “yeah because I am sort of lost on this.”

“Honey, don’t interrupt.”

All eyes were on Cadance and Shining Armor who were both standing in the entry way.

*

After filling in both ponies and Pinkie Pie after she had come back from the drawing board they got to planning as Sortitus placed two white oval crystals on the table they were all around.

Sortitus placed his hand on the nearest ones, “These way stones act as both compasses and a way to shut the hole.”

Shining nodded, “Alright, so how are we doing this?”

Sortitus conjured a scroll as a list appeared that read,

Earth:
Martin
Pinkie Pie
Twilight
Rainbow Dash
Shining Armor
Luna
Sortitus

Equestria:
Alan
Lupe
Fluttershy
Applejack
Cadance
Celestia
Aequivalere

Everyone was surprised at the roster but did not question it as Celestia took one stone and Cadance took the other. Phobos was not amused in the least at not having his name on the list.

Sortitus looked at him, “You must ensure The Sanctuary and the multiverse stay intact as we do this.”

Phobos nodded, “Fine.”

Sortitus nodded, “Alright we best get underway lest we are too late.”

Martin opened the bridge as they all stepped through into his house and gasped. His entire living room seemed to have weird blue plants and vines growing out of the walls, ceiling, and floor.

Pinkie Pie stopped Martin from touching the flower in front of him, “You REALLY don’t want to do that.”

Martin looked beside him and saw a blue haired and blue eyed young adult male dressed in a humanized version of Shining Armor’s clothes.

Shining clicked his boots together, “Alright team, LETS MOVE OUT!”

They all responded, “SIR YES SIR!”

They all opened the front door and their jaws hit the floor at what they saw.