• Published 5th Aug 2012
  • 2,630 Views, 93 Comments

Martin: Dark Inferno - CrypticMetaphor



The Third entry in the Martin Chronicles

  • ...
5
 93
 2,630

Chapter 4: Dash Of Washington

The minutes seemed to drag on during the fly back to Ponyville; Martin was deep in troubled thought where Alan was merely flying in content silence. Martin shook his head as he thought back to the way Lupe reacted to him, “DON’T TOUCH ME!!", it was almost like she was…afraid of him.

Alan stopped in mid-air causing Martin to pull up, Alan then addressed his troubled friend, “You’ve been silent ever since we left Canterlot, what the deal?”

Martin sighed, “Its Lupe dude, she just seems so…broken.”

Alan raised an eyebrow, “broken?”

They began to fly at a more even pace as Martin continued, “I can’t explain it. It’s almost like someone took Lupe, broke her, and then put her back together with different pieces but she still has cracks on her.”

Alan shook his head, “Before you go thinking something completely different, it’s not your fault.”

Martin was about to retort but stopped as Alan continued, “Discord messed her up something fierce and on top of that she also lost her sanity for a bit. That entire mental trauma mixed with the empathy she was given would stunt her mental healing but the Lupe WE know is in there.”

Martin nodded sadly, “I know that. I’m just afraid that she might not heal and degrade further into a complete wreck.”

Alan smiled at him, “Don’t worry about it dude, she just needs time.”

Martin looked back slightly but then forward with a calm smile, “Well they do say time heals all wounds.”

Alan grinned, “That’s the spirit! Let’s pick up the pace, we have a surprise waiting.”

Alan then punched Martin in the arm and accidentally discharged some electricity causing Martin to grip the spot in pain, “AH!”

Martin slowly lifted his hand as Alan flew up and started frying off apology after apology. As Martin looked at the area of contact his eyes widened in shock, the sleeve of his shirt had been burned and the skin underneath…was partially burned.

Alan stared wide eyed, “I thought you said you didn’t get injured easily.”

Martin looked at the wound then at Alan, “If this was an accidental discharge…”

Alan finished for him, “What would happen if I actually meant business.”

Martin and Alan looked at each other upon discovering this new revelation. They both were ecstatic at the prospect of them both having abilities that they had both overlooked something. What if one of them was stronger than the other and what would happen if they fought each other? But the much bigger question they were concerned with was an ominous one, if they fought, who would walk away?

*

Martin and Alan had landed a few minutes after the tiny incident only to be blindfolded by an enthusiastic Pinkie Pie and told not to move them until Pinkie said so.

Martin couldn’t help but ask the obvious, “I assume you’re taking us to the surprise you mentioned?”
Pinkie giggled, “Of course silly, I don’t blindfold everypony out of nowhere you know. THAT is reserved for Blindfold Everypony Day which is in a few weeks!”

Alan chuckled at the comment as they were continually led through the winding streets by Pinkie with the rest of the six not far behind. After a long amount of walking, Pinkie finally told them to stop and to remove the blindfolds. When the strips of cloth left their eyes they both gazed upon a spectacle which left them speechless. Before both of the humans was a two floor house with a metal mailbox in front of it that had a red flag on the side with, “Fairbridges” inscribed on the sides in black letters. The house was painted white with a red roof and the way the windows were positioned along with the size of the place and the architecture, it was an Equestrian version of a human home.

Martin was at a loss for words, “Homina homina homina homina homina homina homina…”

Alan joined in with the same reaction, “Homina homina homina homina homina homina…”

The six hugged them both with grins as Twilight explained the home, “I was sifting through some old notes and saw that I didn’t fulfill the princess’s order of finding you a home here during your first visit so…”

Applejack finished for her, “We all decided tah make ya a place tah call yer own.”

Rainbow nodded, “I did most of the roof work…”, AJ fixed her with a look causing her to relent, “...AJ helped of course.”

Applejack sighed, “Close enough.”

Martin walked to the front door and saw a key hanging on a hook which he took and stuck in the lock as Rarity began speaking, “It’s not much, but it’s something. Personally I suggested we add an extra floor but the construction ponies were going to charge extra and I would hear nothing of it. I may be the element of generosity but when it came to that price I simply HAD to refuse.”

Martin looked around at the Equestrian take on human architecture as he looked at the roof, “I see you got the height right.”

Fluttershy nodded, “Of course we did and we spent close to a month in your house so we went with what we could remember.”

Twilight smiled, “Plus I read some books on human buildings during our stay and picked up a few things.”

Alan walked out of what was possibly going to be the kitchen, “Everything’s on par dude, should we start moving your stuff here now or later.”

Martin thought for a second, “I’d rather do it now rather than later. We can buy some furniture from the local shops here however because I don’t want to move that kind of stuff back and forth.”

Alan nodded, “sounds legit.”

Applejack then rubbed her front hooves together, “Then let’s get tah work.”

*

Many hours passed as the girls, Martin, and Alan walked back and forth between Earth with various clothes and extra essentials until the day went into the afternoon. All were gathered in the furnished deprived living room taking a well-deserved break all except for two individuals.

Alan and Rainbow were casually walking along the roofs of Ponyville idly chatting of various subjects to keep themselves occupied.

Rainbow sat down beside a weather main as she looked at Alan who leaned against it, “…And then Soarin flew into the chicken coop and was covered in feathers and broken eggs!”

Alan laughed, “So THAT’S what happened when you got to spend your day with The Wonderbolts. Man you were so lucky…”, he sat down beside her, “…I envy you.”

Rainbow waved the comment off, “Why be envious about that? You should be envious when I BECOME a Wonderbolt.”

Alan grinned as he looked at the horizon, “You no I’ve always wondered something about you…”

Dash looked at him, “What?”

Alan leaned back and casually asked with a bit of a smirk, “Why DO you hate it when other ponies touch your hooves.”

Rainbow looked from side to side really fast as if somepony was listening which only caused Alan to laugh much to her annoyance.

Rainbow Dash straightened up slightly, “That’s…none of your business.”

Alan nodded, “Of course *cough*wuss*cough*.”

Dash fixed him with a glare, “What’s that supposed to mean?”

Alan shrugged, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

She flew in front of his face, “I am not a WUSS!”

Alan looked away with a grin, “I find that hard to believe.”

Rainbow narrowed her eyes, “Really?”

Alan nodded only to be tackled off the roof to the ground with Rainbow sitting on his back with a smirk, “What say you now?”

Alan took on a sly expression, “Rainbow Dash, the last time we were this close was when I kissed you back on Earth.”

Rainbow’s face immediately burned red as she flew into the air and back onto the ground, “T-that was a mistake.”

Alan smiled as he crossed his arms, “Really? It looked to me that the great Rainbow Dash enjoyed it.”

Rainbow snorted slightly, “I am NOT into all that mushy stuff.”

Alan raised his hands defensively, “I never said you were I’m just saying maybe you might be going soft.”

Rainbow immediately flew up into his face, “I. Am. Not. Soft.”

Alan looked up and spoke in a sing song voice, “I don’t believe you.”

Rainbow Dash pointed to the sky, “I could fly circles around you so fast I could make your head spin.”

Alan looked unimpressed, “Really? Because you’re not the only one who can break the sound barrier Dash.”

Rainbow landed as she looked into his eyes with a challenging expression, “You wanna go toe to hoof with me pretty boy?”

Alan smiled in response, “Go for it.”

Rainbow thought for a second, “Alright, how about we make this a little more interesting.”

Alan nodded, “I’m listening.”

Rainbow tapped her chin, “If I beat you in a race form Ponyville to Canterlot you have to be my servant. Doing all my work, catering to my every whim and calling me Awesome Dash whenever addressing me…for a month.”

Alan was surprised at this but regained himself, “Alright, but if I win you have to go out on a date...”, Alan pointed with his thumb at himself, “...with me.”

Rainbow was greatly surprised but smirked quickly, “Deal. Tomorrow here at high noon.”

Alan and Rainbow both exchanged competitive looks as they parted ways…only to head back in the direction of Martin’s Equestrian domicile.