• Published 23rd Oct 2015
  • 1,170 Views, 22 Comments

Of Dragons, Drakos, and Ponies - newHelm



Fear and anger, lead to pain and violence. How does one end the cycle

  • ...
2
 22
 1,170

Ragnarok

Spike stood before the mighty doors of the great hall of Canterlot castle again, only this time he wore his war torn cloak instead of a tuxedo. At that moment, he wished he hadn't clipped his antlers off. After a moment, he realized he didn't care anymore. Concentrating, two sets of sharp ebony antlers sprouted from his head.

Sun Tail touched his leg. "Thank you sir, now you look the part. We are all behind you sir. Even though some of us don't agree with you, we adored lady Rarity. She made us feel worth something. With your leave, every drakos that I have informed has demanded Ragnarok be declared."

Spike narrowed his eyes. "Last option. I'm glad I can use it now. Vengeance will be had, that I promise."

Spike kicked the door opened, entering the hall with his war armed escorts.

Skrilla and Gilda where on their way out when stopped in surprise. The Elder and brown dragon stood next to the throne. Celestia sat upon the throne, a look of concern on her face. Standing before the throne stood Garble, who was smirking at Spike. "I see the rabble made it."

Spike roared with such ferocity that even his own guards quacked. He turned to Celestia. "Gilda is pardoned for the deception over her. The other, I demand him."

Garble laughed. "What, you need a replacement maid?"

"Your skull shall adorn my armor, next to your co-conspirators."

Garble lost all humor and stared horrified at Spike. The brown dragon interrupted. "You dare interrupt a court session for a petty squabble?! Leave at once!"

Spike bared his fangs and claws, but stopped as Sun Tail touched his leg again. Stepping back, Spike motioned him forward. "I apologize for his Majesty. He is angered by this ordeal. A dragon has attempted to assassinate our king, and a lady of high esteem. By all rights, that is an act of war, one the drakos are ready to act upon, but our king is different, he has mercy."

Twilight walked in behind Celestia, and Spike's eyes lost all emotions. Celestia didn't notice. "So, mercy is one instead of many? What will you do with him? Will it be justice or vengeance?"

Spike stepped forward, blank. "Are they not the same. Justice is but vengeance of the law. I demand his head or war."

The elder dragon turned his head to Celestia. "To spare Equestria, you have but one choice. There is nothing you can do now to stop this. Do it, I will handle it."

Celestia lowered her head and cried softly. "I relinquish the prisoner back to dragon custody. Equestria wishes no part in this war." Her tears grew as she saw Spike's stoic face. Small licks of purple flames coming from the corner of his mouth. She turned to leave and began to sob silently as she saw Twilight's horrified expression.

Spike turned to the brown dragon. "The ponies have opted out of this matter, that will make it easier. Give me Garble or war will follow."

The brown dragon laughed. "No, and you can not declare war without forfeiting your life."

"So be it, but I will drag every dragon to hell with me as I go."

Shock covered his face and he looked worried at Garble. "He is my son, I can not give him up."

"The drakos have declared Ragnarok, will you forfeit him to appease our furry?"

The Elder and Celestia looked on in horror. The brown dragon lowered his head in shame. Twilight stepped forward. "If I may, I have never heard of Ragnarok. What is it?"

The elder dragon spoke softly. "It is worst than war. Every drakos, young, old, male, and female, give up everything that is their own and declare that they will only eat the food of their enemies. To survive, they must kill all of their enemies. No dragon to be spared. Kids killing kids. It requires the drakos as a whole to agree, but if it has been proposed, then every drakos In Canterlot must have asked for it. It is extinction of the dragon race."

Twilight tearfully turned to Spike, pleading. "Spike, my number one assistant, you would not want this? This is not you. Why would you condone war and death?"

He growled at her. "Please show me respect in such a setting Princess Twilight, and to answer your question, no, it is not my will. I want Rarity to be fine, and the head of the dragon responsible. I am willing to go to war for that. The drakos have few allies, and less friends. So when six pony ambassadors appeared in the drakos home lands, wanting to be not just allies, but friends, they got a nation of friends. They came to me, demanding I lock them up for their own safety, I told them no, that it was wrong to treat friends that way. I told them all, we would fight to protect them. That is what I do now. Not for vengeance, but a display. That we are not weaker for becoming peaceful, but more powerful for having friends. I failed to protect her, but the world will know not to try again."

Twilight sobbed. "She would not want this!"

"She is comatose, I will prevent further threat. I tried talking like she wanted, now I must act."

The Elder is spoke softly to Spike. "If I may. She still lives. Would you agree to have council with just me and Celestia? I wish to sway your mind in an other direction."

Spike lowered his head. "I agree. If she lives, I will consider your advice." The drakos growled till he raised a claw. "If she dies, so does Garble. If contested at all, Ragnarok will reign as the dragon's last moments.". Before any more could be said, Spike was out the doors.



Rarity sobbed in her corner of the hall. Being a ghost had given her the chance to snoop on this meeting, she could only take so much crying over her prone body. She looked over at Sombra and Nightmare a card game of sorts and shook her head. "He's willing to exterminate an entire race over me?"

Sombra rolled his eyes. "Such a romantic, our little Spikey Wikey."

Nightmare sighed. "I remember a drakos who did that for me, fond memories. Got a three lord of nothing?"

"Go fish Queen of lacking. A penny for your thoughts Rarity."

She, very unladylike, sneered at them. "It is cruel and wrong of him. Why would he do that?"

Looking very serious, Nightmare put her card down. "Love. Ponies see love as a great gift that overcomes all, and it is. It is also the source of all evil. It causes hate, vengeance, fear. Pain and fear of loss, vengeance on those who cause it. Hate of scorn and rivals. Love is a great weapon, for good, yes, but evil as well. A great example would be Shadowfang and our idiotic Sombra here."

The evil king stopped looking at her cards to look up. "Yes. I did what I did for a pony I loved, vengeance on those who scorned us, and to give her a kingdom. Unfortunately, she rejected my offer of the throne. Nightmare here is the product of Shadowfang trying to bring his love back from her grave. As you can see, not quite a success."

"To the depths of Tartarus with you weeping child."

"After you derelict queen."

Rarity shook her head at the two. "Childish, the two of you are worst then my sister and her friends. You have a point, but that does not excuse Spike of his acts of violence."

Nightmare shook her head. "If it were he on that hospital bed, what would you do?"