• Published 1st Jun 2012
  • 925 Views, 15 Comments

Dead pony - SinclairThompson.mlp



twilight is sent on a repair misson to the ishimura but encounters the true horror of the marker

  • ...
10
 15
 925

Chapter 5:Ignition

Chapter 5:Ignition

The tram slowed to a stop, the squeak of metal ringing through out the trams interior. Twilight stepped out of the tram a soft haze of steam floated from under, the floor in front of her read, "engineering deck".

Walking slowly forward her video link snapped on and mike appeared," Twilight we go two problems and we're working on borrowed time here", spoke mike in a frantic voice,"First, there's no fuel in the engines, second, the gravity centrifuege is offline which means there's a coulpe trillion tons of rock pulling us down!"

"I need you to get that sentrifuege operational and re-fuel the engines then fire it up so i can stabilize the ships orbit!", the video link went to static then minimized into twilights chest display.

"Yeesh....demanding, but i guess thats my life as an engineer!", twilight muttered to herself as she continued on her way, a feeling of comfort layed on her mind as she gripped the flamethrower as she made her way down the hall.

Turning the corner she was engulfed in a bright white light, walking to the lights she found that they were flood lights, six to be exact.

She entered a rounded room, a dead stallion wearing a gas mask was slumped in the chair his body bloodied and torn in some areas, glowing on the floor was an audio recording. Tapping the button a soft electronic whine started and her audio link snapped on.

"Personel log, active chief engineer jacob temple, its been two days since they pulled that planet open....since the captain died.The panic, the riots are nothing compared to what came after, our friends our co-workers.....started coming back!"

"Changed, coming back...to kill us, drag us away, robert disappeared this morning and i have to assume hes dead...the crew they're starting to crack. Im trying to keep an eye on them but i have bigger problems."

"We're hemraging fuel and the primary engine is laboring, damvers and i are going to try make it to the engine level and see if we can fix it.....temple out"

The audio link shut off and twilight glanced at the bloody corpse,"well i guess he didnt make it that far", she thought to herself as she snapped on her deck navigation and followed the blue line.

Entering the engine sector made her jaw hang loose, it....was huge the open expance seemed to go upward for ever she couldnt even see the ceiling and plus it was dark. A heavy fog lingered above as if the sector had its own weather and rain.

Continueing on down the grates she turned a corner where a door lay busted wide open with blood covering the floor around it. There laying on the floor was a dead necromorph or so she thought.

Approaching it she stopped remembering the one that played dead back in the tram control, not taking any chances see aimed the flamethrower at the corpse and let loose and then.....

It was a pleasure to burn...

The necromorph shot up and started flailing its talons screaming, its scream tore through the huge expance like a sharp knife.

She slugged it in the head with the flamethrower as it made its way to her stunning it to the ground, it writhed and twisted as the fire cooked its flesh, bubbles formed under the skin and popped like popcorn, the smell of burning flesh filling the open expance.

Twilight starred in wonder at the burning writhing necromorph, the burning orange, yellow, and red feathers of flame danced in her eyes as the fire claimed the necromorph a small smile slowly spread across her face as she accepted the joy of burning these "things".

Turning right she continued her way while following the blue line like a foal following its mother, she jumped as a talon tailed necromorph crawled swiftly under the grates to fast to fire her weapon.

Walking now at a quicker pace she turned a corner where a necromorph was just making its way through the grates, she fired a blast of the napalm and fire onto the necromorph then stomped on the burning creature till it became limp.

Faint tiny squeals came from behind, twilight turned around, they were tiny creatures no bigger than a gerbal that were flipping around on the ground then simultaneously jumped onto her.

Twilight flailed her arms ripping at the small creatures as they dug their tiny claws into her flesh, she ripped them off squishing their tiny bodies in her hooves like tomatoes.

Continuing she came around a bend and saw a gondola stranded in the middle of the tracks, a small kinesis symbol glowed softly on it. Pulling it back over she flipped on her deck navigation and bent around the corner. Proceeding she came upon a switch that had a kinesis symbol.

Raising her hoof she released the kinesis bolt and slowly pulled the lever down until it locked into place, the ishimuras voice snapped on,"refueling process started".

Twilight walked onto the gondola and pressed the switch, it jerked forward and drifted through the heavy fog, on the other side twilight herd a deep roar emminating from the fog.

As the other side came into view she could see two necromorphs waiting for her as if they expected for her arrival. Pulling out her plasma cutter she fired at the two before docking. They both lied dead as she walked past and made her way to the second fuel lever, pulling it down she activated the ishimuras voice once more,"refueling process completed refueling engines".

Upahead the great turbine cylinders jerked awake as if from a deep slumber, the turbine to her left moved forward to an open claw and connected, the giant connectors on the side lifted up and connected refueling the ship, her audio link snapped on and mike spoke.

"Whatever you did its working twilight, i have a reading, its only a quarter full but that should be enough for orbit once you bring the engines online....", mike stopped speaking he then continued in a hushed voice,"what the hell?".

He sighed and continued,"false alarm...thought i saw something", the audio link shut off and twilight made her way back to the gondola.

Activating it she drifted once more through the heavy fog the deep roar came again but nopony was waiting on the otherside which relieved her.

Stepping off the gondola she flipped on her deck navigation, it led to the door that entered to the outside of the cylinder room. Following the line she came upon the door and pressed it open, she was in front of the cylinder room when a bat necromorph swooped down and connected itself to the body in the chair.

By the time she opened the door and rushed into the room the corpse had already turned and the bat flung itself off of the necromorph. Stasising the two she engulfed them with flame, they screamed as they flung their flamming bodies at her, jumping back they hit the ground in front of her.

She watched with a smile as their bodies burned turning their skin a charcoal black, after watching their anguish she continued to her right entering an elevator.

As the elevator soared up its shaft an disruption rocked the elevator almost sending twilight off her hooves, it came to a stop and the doors opened revealing a sectioned off room.

Making her way around a corner she opened the door leading to the room, upon entering she saw a holopanel and approached it and read,"start decontamination process?".

She pressed the tab and the room filled with an orange light and the rooms voice spoke,"decontamination in process please wait", a orange scented spray came from the roof.

Iron grates slamed on all the windows around her startling her, outside she could see three necromorphs crash through
the ceiling and try the grates, they gazed at her hungrily like foals starring into a candy shop.

A shower of sparks came from overhead after the three necromorphs jumped back into the ceiling and darkness fell in the room she was in. A crash came from in front of her as the necromorph roared, she fired at the necromorph engulfing it in flame lighting up the room like a living torch.

Another came from behind, she spun around and slammed the flamethrower into its head then engulfing it too, just as she thought she could rest a tailed necromorph flung itself at her from a side vent. Landing next to her it slashed at her with its tail, attempting to to dodge the slash she slipped on the decontamination fluid falling to the ground.

The necromorph launched its tail at her but she managed to catch it, the blade one inch from her facemask. The strength of the creature was immense. Twisting the tail in an akward direction it roared with pain as she grabbed her flamethrower and fired upon it.

The creature convulsed on the ground then layed still, twilight lied on the ground her chest rising up and down from the struggle. The last of the decontamination fluid dripped onto her helmet and the voice came on.

"Decontamination complete thank you for your patience", the lights flickered on and off repeatably but the doors unlocked,"ya...i waited very patiently",twilight muttered to herself as she got up and headed towards the door.

Twilight exited the decontamination room and continued on her way, she came upon another and opened it entering a rotunda. As she made her way to the deck navigations marker she noticed two good sized holes in the wall, blood and limbs layed in the floor in front of the holes as if they were the mouth of a horrible beast.

She came upon a circular door similar to the one she saw when retrieving the shock plate, pressing it the doors panel slid from horizontal to vertical then separated as the door opened.

Entering the room was another one of the doors but she stopped and looked down at the ground, it was a medium air can she picked it up and connected it to the back of her rig but didnt activate it yet.

Pressing on the door she entered to a huge open rotunda, the gravity centrifuge sitting in the center, the ishimuras voice spoke upon her entry,"entering zero gravity".

Down below the gravity generators were spinning but not connected to the centrifuge, shooting out a kinesis bolt she slowly guided the generator to the connection. Just as she connected them it recoiled back in a shower of sparks a message popped infront of her,"use stasis to connect generators".

Twilight kicked herself in the leg for not thinking of that and shot a stasis bolt at the generator slowing the spin of the connector. Guiding the connector it attached to the centrifuge with a loud clang,"gravity module one connected", spoke the ishimuras voice.

Getting ready to jump twilight paused and glanced to her side, bursting out of the wall was a fleshy mass, like an organ hanging out of a wound. Veins corsed all along it and slightly pulsated here and there, shaking her head she turned and jumped.

She glided across the room and landed on the opposite side next to the holopanel, scooting as close to the edge as she could twilight aimed and fired a stasis bolt but her kinesis was to far out of reach.

Jumping down to the second module with the stasis still in effect she guided it into place,"gravity module two connected, activation now authorized". Twilight turned to the right as a necromorph screeched and flung itself at twilight, dispatching it quickly.

Twilight walked to the cargo lift under the control panel and went up, approaching the panel she pressed the holotab and the sound of hydralics filled the air. Under the centrifuge a huge rounded hatch opened revealing the planet that had been cracked, it was red and dark shadows covered most of its surface just a little off to the side she could see the huge eye of the crater starring at her without blinking.

"Gravity centrifuge online, entering vaccum", just under the centrifuge an antenna glowed and shot a bright white beam towards the dangling four trillion tons of rock.

Twilights audio link snapped on and mike spoke,"you're doing great twilight, centrifuge and gyros are both at one-hundred percent and stabilized, now get out of there and focus on the engine. Celestia knows how much time we have left".

The audio link shut-off and twilight glanced at the door she needed to get to,"oh buck!",twilight muttered to herself as she realized that now that there was no more zero gravity that she would have to gallop as fast as he could to get to the cargo lift while the huge counter weight of the centrifuge swung around that could kill her if she came in contact with it.

Lowering down in the cargo lift twilight spotted the other cargo lift she had to access to exit it...was...clear...across the room, each passing of the giant counter weight shook twilight to her bones.

"Alright...one...two...THREE!!!", twilight yelled as she exited just as the counter weight passed by the opening, galloping as fast as she could twilight made her way to the next cubby spot just as the counter weight passed by.

Her heart pumping with blood and adrenaline, twilight ran out a second time to the closest cubby spot, but just as she reached the spot a necromorph with the "conveniently" same idea ran in as soon as she did. Struggling with the necromorph she glanced at the fastly approaching counter weight.

Swinging it around twilight pushed the necromorph off and thai kicked it in the gut sending it back in the path of the counter weight, twilight waved her hoof goodbye at the necromorph as the counter weight smashed into it obliterating it.

"Sucks for you", twilight muttered to herself, she then started to have a shortness of breath, her lungs felt like they had one hundred pounds layed upon them.

Checking her oxygen meter it read in red numbers 54.5 and was decreasing fast, twilight fumbled on her right hoof for the medium air tank activation switch, her vision becoming blury.

"Oh mother of celestia i dont want it to end like this, not here!", twilight said in a frantic voice, she found the switch and flipped it on. Instantly the new oxygen filled in her supply as if an angel had lifted the weight off her chest.

Twilight leaned against the wall as she breathed in the sweet new oxygen, her vision cleared and she focused on the cargo lift.

Bolting out of the safety of the cubby hole twilight galloped to the cargo lift and jumped at it just as the counter weight passed by.Twilight lifted up the lift and exited the centrifuge room, the pressure locked and she was now back in the oxygen supplied room.

"Surely things cant get any worse?", twilight muttered as she opened, just as she walked out a tentacle wipped around the corner and grabbed ahold of her bottom hoof, picked her up and slammed her back down on her back knocking the wind out of her.

Twilight aimed her plasma cutter as the tenatcle pulled her towards the hole in the wall, aiming her plasma cutter she fired at the bright yellow sack out of pure guess.

The tenatcle recoiled in pain and continued to pull, she was now closer to the hole, twilight kept on firing and missed a few times with just one more yank twilight would become this things lunch.

Grinding her teeth twilight fired one last time at the sack the bolt struck the bright yellow sack and exploded ripping the tentacle in two showering twilight with the liquid, the one half leading into the hole writhed in the air before sinking back into the hole, a deep roar rang through the ship.

"Im.....never....saying....that again", said twilight in between breaths, staggering up she then ran past the hole fearing it as if it might emerge again.

Twilight walked quickly down the hall, she entered the decontamination room and exited towards the elevator, on her way up her video link snapped on, she was surprised to see that it was circuit.

"Twilight can you hear me, its circuit! They attacked me and i galloped for it and mike just...he just disappeared", circuit spoke in a frantic voice, mikes voice came on the line,"Circuit? Where are you?"

"Its nice to hear that your alive and well mike. I barricaded myself in the computer core....i can hear them moving outside but...i dont think they know im in here".

"I've been logging into everything from here, i hacked the root and found some reports from the colony. Even befor they had cracked the planet the colonists were experiencing wide spread forms of dimensia...it seems to be related to some artifact they found on the planet something called....the marker".

"I'll keep looking, i've got your location and im going to unlock the door to field storage you can get to the engine chamber there", the video link minimized and circuit disappeared from view.

Walking to the right twilight was greeted by another circular door, pressing on it the door open and she proceeded to the next door and did the same. The door hissed open,"entering vaccum", twilight could see the open expance of the dark void known as space.

The damage had been done to a zero gravity area so twilight was able to glide to the other side and open the door, hissing closed the pressure returned,"exiting vaccum".

Twilight opened the door upon entering she cringed at the high pitch roar of the engine area, light shown through the bottom grates casting ominious shadows on the walls and ceiling.

Making her way down the hall around a bend she shocked and disgusted at what she found, the same organic material that was in the centrifuge was covering the three floors and the walls, its tangled mass consuming everything.

Twilight could barely walk as she made her way to the first cargo lift and went down, the stuff wasnt only revolting it was also like a glue making it considerly hard to walk through.

Twilight reached the bottom and noticed that a door was short circuited and was slamming open and shut, making her way to the door a necromorph tried to launch itself at her but utterly failed as he was cut to pieces.

Rolling her eyes she stasised the door and walked through making her down the hallway turning to the engine control room, pressing the door it hissed open revealing the huge engine turbine, the sheer size stunned twilight.

Shaking her head out of the trance she focused on the necromorphs ahead, firing she managed to deal with them rather quickly then from behind the engine control console a necromorph that had his abdominal area bulged out, the flesh tearing from the growth.

Twilight fired at his stomach a few times figuring that was his weakness, the necromorph dropped to his knees and hooves, his stomach started to twitch and bulge. Then with a sickening rip the flesh and his stomach ripped open killing the necromorph but spewing out the gerbal sized necromorphs.

She tore frantically at the tiny creatures as they dug their tiny claws into her flesh sending waves of stinging pain up and down her spine. Twilight managed to teared off the tiny creatures and squish them to a small paste, breathing for a second twilight then made her way to the console and pressed it.

"Engine ignition sequence started please stand by", the ishimuras voice announced, behind her twilight heard the roar of multiple necromorphs.

Snapping around twilights eyes widened with horror and fear as she counted the amount in front of her, there had to be at least ten or twelve. Twilight took a deep breath and pulled out her two weapons, the plasma cutter in one hoof the flamethrower in the other.

The necromorphs bolted at her and she opened fire, she would engulf some then fire at them with the plasma cutter if they didnt succom to the flames. Twilights heart was pumping a mile a second as adrenaline corsed through her heart and body.

Twilight stood there breathing her chest heaving from the intense battle, the bodies layed in a circle around her, blood and seared skin covered her suit and helmet. Twilight turned to the control panel and tapped start,"engines started thank you for your patience".

Twilights ears popped from the pressure as the engine ignited, the deafening roar shaking twilight, above jets of fire shot out as the engine roared to life, she had awoken the metal giant.

Making her way back to the door twilight opened it and stepped through, as the door closed behind her the video link snapped on and mike spoke with a smile on his face.

"Its working, we're online and functional. Finally some good news get a tram to the bridge twilight and we'll take this ship back into orbit.....", mike was cut off as circuit appeared,"wait! wait! We're not safe yet, the ships debri protection system is offline!"

"On the way up the ships going to pass through a debri field that had come from the planet crack. We'll be ripped to pieces unless you reset the system".

Mike appeared again and anger replaced the joy,"DAMNIT!!!! I'll start working on it from here, twilight make it to the bridge you can do more good than i can".

The video link shut off and twilights spirit sank,"buck cant i have anything?!", twilight muttered to herself as she made her way through another sloped corridor to the tram station.

On her way up the corridor twilight froze as her audio link snapped on and a familiar voice spoke,"Twilight? Twilight? Whera are you...its me fluttershy!".

Twilights mind stopped,"it..it...it was fluttershy and i didnt pick up a recorder either, so she has to be alive!", her heart filled with determination twilight pressed on towards the tram station.

Upon reaching the tram twilight stopped to and took a breath, stepping in twilight pressed on the tab and sat down in one of the seats.

"Shes alive...shes alive, i can feel it", twilight thought as she gazed at her hoofs as the tram jerked forward and proceeded deeper into the beast, the transmission echoing in her head.....

....twilight?.....

....twilight?.....

.....its me fluttershy.....