• Published 23rd Nov 2015
  • 1,072 Views, 6 Comments

Kelly Mathews, Equestria's Landstalker - Leafwebs



Kelly Mattews almost lost who she really is when The Merchant gifted her a cursed whistle. However the LaClaire Incident provided the means for her to retain her normal life. With hope restored she is on a mission to unravel The Merchants schemes.

  • ...
7
 6
 1,072

Chapter 14_Hunters From Different Paths

Chapter 14_Hunters from Different Paths

Are there times when it is okay to hate the harmless pony smile?

Nigel was feeling quite a bit of professional hate for the red bounty hunter stallion and his playful smirk. With a hog tied Human lashed to his back Big Mac was preparing to collect another bounty on a plane hopping criminal.

“Another varmint bounty for me, you don’t suppose I could collect a regular pay check from your country folk do you?” Big Mac merrily crowed.

“How did you get ahead me?” Nigel reflexively asks once he caught his breath.

“Experience kid.” Big Mac chuckles in response. “Well time to collect my reward. Hey why not join me for a cider to my success.”

Nigel shakes his head.

“Your lose.” Big Mac replies shaking his head and trotting off.

Nigel was made aware of his other responsibilities he had as a Tracer Agent beyond scanning displaced and one was to help apprehend fugitive plane hoppers. Many humans from home have been prosecuted for trespassing in a few worlds already and compensation provisions for fugitive captures had been part of the earlier negotiations.

It turns out that a few bronies or such figured out the address of Nigel’s host world and were doing unlawful tourism. Nigel did have the direct line from home about anyone detected entering his host world but it did little to blunt Big Mac’s uncanny timing and catch rate.

This had been the third such bounty poaching the Apple clan bounty hunter had done while the treaty was in effect. The first time could be forgiven as Nigel was off world for it, but these last two had the elf coming off as the hunting hound that flushes the prey so the real hunter can get the kill.

“Hey mister don’t let mah brother get yah down.” Apple Bloom says trotting over to Nigel with a leashed green mushroom monster obediently in tow. “Let me give you a job, how about it?”

“You want my help… Sure kid anything to get my mind off of that humiliation.” Nigel replies feeling defeated. “What is the job?”

“Thank you much mister, see mah family has the Apple farm by the wasteland that was the Everfree.” Apple Bloom continues cheerfully. “We’re use to dealing with Timber wolves from the forest years ago, when it turned into a wasteland mah family believed our troubles over. Thing is other monsters now venture near the farm because the forest is gone. Applejack and Big Mac want to keep the monsters out but nothing they do works, but this fellow dose.”

“I think I get what you want. Did you see a different colored one near here?” Nigel replies looking at the green cap monster mushroom.

“Sure did a nice gray cap one. I’ve been tracking some in the Whitetail Wood.” Apple Bloom adds. “Mah critter is good at scaring timid monsters, but the bold ones are still giving mah brother and Sister trouble.”

“So you need help catching the paralyzing type to subdue the real trouble makers.” Nigel states. “You got a plan?”

“I’ve learned a lot about these critters thanks to mah friend here, like how to tame their kin.” Apple Bloom smiles at her mushroom monster and petting it before turning back to Nigel. “I need to get close to it without being seen. I need you to distract it so I can work mah trick.”

“Sure thing I’ll help you just let me get some supplies.” Nigel replies a bit more cheerful.

Elsewhere in another plane a conversation is about to take place in a smoke filled bar.

“I got your letter. Did you learn something about my last job?” an unseen man asks.

“The signs you brought me are tainted with something that is not just poltergeist essence. We could be looking at tare with another realm forming.” An unseen female replies. “Your puzzle cube and the incantation I’ve researched and transcribed for you should let you interact with this tare.”

“That sounds like rather large risk to my person.” The man replies.

“Your cube will return you here safely enough should the tare be like the shadow plane. It is important to put you at risk to make sure this new event does not become a new disaster like your Hellsign acquisition.” The female replies. “Your compensation will be ready when you return. Let’s all pray this leads to some quite.”

“Cheers to that.” The man concludes with a tip of his hat.

Back in the Whitetail Woods, Nigel and Apple Bloom found the gray cap monster she had been hunting. It had picked a shady spot under a large willow tree and near a statue guardian that was half embedded in a hill. Small clumps of flowers were growing on parts of the guardian helping to hide it.

“Got your eye on the stone guy I see. That’s why I need your help.” Apple Bloom snarls. “Darn gray cap likes to sit on a switch. When I get close it moves paralyzes me and the stone guy tosses me through that hole in the thicket.”

“Where does that hole go?” Nigel asks.

“Over to Carrot Top’s compost pit.” Apple Bloom replies blushing. “Ah small spring flushes yah right to the edge of it, but when I’m tossed I land face first in rotting veggies.”

We didn’t waste time risking a filly toss just to see how close we could get to the gray cap. The path cut in the underbrush was enough to see how the statue moved and Apple Bloom told me all about the gray cap’s attack range on the way.

Instead we worked out a way to make the gray cap stand up while staying still on the button and not get paralyzed. The trick involved dancing through the underbrush opposite from each other so that we were the same distance from the gray cap as we closed in.

“Apple Bloom can you keep your balance?” Nigel asks.

“Yep…” Apple Bloom nervously squeaks wobbling as her right back hoof finds solid ground. “Why do I gotta walk like this?”

“Because I got to see you to match your steps so we don’t get tagged. If I crawl I can’t see and we get caught.” Nigel replies calmly. “I take it you don’t like ballet.”

“Ah don’t even like square dancing on all my four legs.” Apple Bloom hissed.

It was slow going but once they got within arm’s reach the gray cap stood up to face Nigel only to swing toward Apple Bloom who pounced shoving the gray cap off the button. The statue zips from its resting spot to lunge at the space right before the button to throw something and stopping on the very space. The statue catches a glowing rock tossing it just over the original hole to make a new one.

Nigel blushed when he looked to Apple Bloom as she pulls away from the gray cap seeing her lips leave the post kiss delivering pucker.

Nigel was not going to adopt this trick or ask Apple Bloom about it.

After leashing the gray cap and returning to Sweet Apple archers, Apple Bloom gives Nigel the 6 bits they agreed to for the help. Nigel then went to his home in town.

“Hello pack brother Hound Nigel.” Sumac’s cub Hazel Leaf yips with tail wagging in excitement.

“Hazel Leaf, Sumac would I be right to say introductions with the rest of the pack went well?” Nigel asks as the cub jumps up into the elf’s arms.

“Our pack wonders if you are a gift or a burden.” Sumac replies. “Things went more than well.”

“I’m part… of the pack.” Nigel nervously replies letting go of Hazel Leaf.

“As much as an outsider can become one.” Sumac replies walking over. “With that abomination against nature gone Willow Bark and the rest have accepted the decision by cubs White Fir and Ash Bramble to remain behind in the world of their birth. You did a great service to the balance of nature in the other world and the pack is honored to have you. Also the two of us will be sharing cub watching duty.”

“That’s me.” Hazel Leaf yips.

While Nigel was getting a crash course in cub care leading into his two day home break, another man was finishing preparations of his own.

Alone it what appeared to be a theme park recreation of a rustic early industrial village, a single white van comes to a stop. Its occupant had only recently cleansed this haunting site of a vicious icy variant of the Kelpie rewarding him with valuable but disturbing remains. Dressed in a long leather trench coat, hiking boots, and a crocodile Dundee hat was the Hunter Cody.

Stepping out of the van Cody smiled at the complete lack of snow and ice which had been a killer hazard both for the fight and for claiming 6 victims putting the case on his map. No one could find the story for this abandoned tourist project as even city planning records seemingly did not exist.

Cody walks up onto the half complete train platform and pulls out a marble colored wax stick and an ornate puzzle cube setting the cube down on a clean spot. Cody pulls out his green flip note book to check the notes he was given. Then lastly with a look to his watch and the sky he begins to draw a magic circle with the wax stick around himself and the cube.

“Bayo Kiayo…” Cody whispers as he draws the inner circle in wax.

“Kia yaso moyea ah…” Cody whispers a little loader as he inscribes the required runes next.

“Kia yaso moyea ah…” Cody speaks at an even tone as he cuts his hand sprinkling some of his blood on the incomplete spell circle causing the rest of the design to complete itself.

“Kia yaso moyea ah!” Cody shouts as he slaps his hand down on his puzzle cube. In a flash of lavender colored light Cody vanishes, the glowing circle being the only thing left behind.

The world warps around Cody bringing him to the other half of the train platform just outside an unfamiliar forest. Placing his cube in his jacket, Cody walks off the platform and follows the remains of the train tracks toward the sounds of construction,

Cody finds a work force of weirdly painted ponies dismantling the tracks in the grass prairie about 1000 yards from the unfinished station. All of the ponies were wearing either railway uniforms or roman centurion armor. A few turned his way and some of the guards broke from the group to meet him.

“Hello stranger, my names Canopy Glider. I welcome you to Equestria.” The lead Pegasus guard announces.

“Gi day mates, from the land down under.” Cody replies tipping his hat. “My name’s Cody.”

“What brings you to our land by means of such a foul place?” Canopy Glider adds.

“Mighty coincidence you bring up that place of bad omens, know of anyone who can fill me in about that icy reception.” Cody replies gesturing back the way he came.

“Sergeant Spur is on assignment and won’t be available, but we can introduce you to the resident displaced. Rumor has it a being like you named Nigel was most responsible for shutting down the conspiracy behind that place.” Canopy Glider explains. “Sorry about the Wendego. Such monstrosities are legends to us and only the princesses have had the experience dealing with them. If we thought one was about to rise there…”

“Easy there solder. I’m no stranger to unexpected unpleasantness.” Cody replies. “The meeting would lovely however.”

“Then step this way sir, we have a flying carriage.”Canopy Glider continues. “We don’t allow you be armed however as we will call the local princess about your arrival.”

“No worries mate my gear is in my lock box.” Cody replies removing his pack. “Who’s your arms keeper?”

Canopy Glider calls over a yellow earth pony with a stripped mane and Cody load his pack onto the guard mare. Afterwards Cody climbs aboard the flying carriage. The flight took about four hours to get to Ponyville.

“Your one only a few strangers I know who didn’t get sick on their first flight.” Canopy Glider remarks as he let's Cody off the carriage. The guard with the lock box following behind the pair.

“My father was an old barnstormer. I rode with him a lot between the ages of 13 thru 17. Your carriage has nothing on that rust bucket” Cody replies smiling at the now awe struck Pegasus. Cutting off the challenge Cody continues his reply. “I can’t speak for me old man, but I learned to value the seat belt when stunt flying got proposed.”

Canopy Glider was about to head over to lead Cody over to Princess Trixie’s when he spotted the mare in question coming to him. Derpy coxes a half asleep powder blue alicorn into motion with a coffee scented pound cake.

When the Princess see the group waiting for her she raises a hoof before using some magic to snag a bite of the coffee cake. Taking her time to savor the rich cake, Trixie eventually swallows it and greets her guests.

“Hello Sir I’m Princess Trixie and I welcome you to Ponyville. May I ask you about your business here?” Princess Trixie asks.

“You certainly can malady; I was doing me some paranormal detective work surrounding a mean poltergeist and the rift it made brought me here.” Cody replies. “My name is Cody by the way.”

“I take it you’re not a Displaced then?” Trixie replies a little disappointed.

“Not as my profession, miss; but as a current condition… maybe? Why do you ask?” Cody asks confused.

“May I interrupt, princess?” Canopy Glider asks.

“If it will add to the discussion you may proceed.” Trixie replies.

“Cody approached us coming from the lost former rebel village?” Canopy Glider dutifully reports.

“Trixie wishes to apologize greatly for any disaster…” Trixie replies blanching.

“The families of the dead might appreciate your condolences but my job is to make sure no more trouble will be caused with this event. You can help me by filling me in on some things?” Cody adds.

“I’m sorry Cody the birth of a new wendego was not a possibility we thought possible when it happened. I’ve only just completed analyzing the complex spell work the rebels were doing and I’m deeply disturbed by the discovery.” Trixie replies somberly. “You want answers for your investigation so I will invite you to accompany me to discuss these findings with the displaced Nigel who’s in the middle of all of this.”

Leading the investigating hunter, Trixie heads over to a log cabin style house with green painted wood shingles and a widow box containing herbs Cody could not identify. A small coniferous tree of an unknown breed had a side walk path branch leading up to it neighboring the cabin.

Walking up to the door and knocking Trixie then takes custody of the lock box while they await the occupant’s arrival.

Opening the door was what Cody thought was a trekkie cos-player with vulcon bed head. At the occupants feet was he saw a small wooden gray hound or wolf, Cody wasn’t sure which.

“Your Eminence… Trixie what brings…” The owner begins before locking eyes with Cody. His mood suddenly sours as hinted by the timber of his continued speaking. “Did a token get triggered?”

“If you’ll invite Trixie and guest in everything will be explained. I hope you have time.” Trixie replies.

The owner opens up the door and steps out of the way revealing the sparsely furnished interior reminiscent of his own safe house and a larger wolf like plant monster.

“Our guest is named Cody he arrived by way of the lost village.” Trixie explains causing the owner to pale. Turning back to him the princess continues. “This is Nigel the victim of some multi-verse… kidnapper called The Merchant and our resident displaced. He was involved with what happened in the village, but please bear with me as the discoveries I’ve made concern you both.”

“You figured out what the village leaders were doing.” Nigel remarks curiosity and concern in his tone.

“Nigel, Sumac, and Cody what I have learned today has a very tragic implication that would have been disastrous for all. The usurper Hail Vail and her conspirators not only intended to impersonate the royal heads of this nation but the runes used in the village would have mass teleported it, damaging Equis in the process; to another world draining your life-force among many others killing you.” Trixie begins explaining. Taking another breath she continues. “This energy alone would never be sufficient to maintain the alicorn state of one let alone three, so the runes also contained a layline propagating matrix that would exponentially convert the nature of the new world.”

Cody could feel anger rising and the poster of the rest of Trixie’s audience told him the others were also deeply distressed. Whether it was how the wolves snarled or how Nigel began trembling and clenched his fists.

“This was an invasion plan and many worlds would have suffered. The spell they devised was unsustainable and would kill the world after a short while.” Trixie continued. “Rain Dancers notes indicated that they planned to fix this fatal flaw by transforming the residents of these worlds into pony thrulls fulfilling some sick pleasure of turning them into new power source for the spell and fodder solders. That would likely have only been the beginning.”

Nigel looked as if he was going to faint from the stress the last bit of news brought.

“I know you wish you were never brought here but all of Equis and many other worlds owe you a debt of gratitude for stopping this plot.” Trixie concludes.

“Mind if I ask how the village ended up in my world.” Cody asks.

“We sabotaged the runes during our escape from the Wendego.” Nigel replies.

The wolf growls something that Cody thought must have been some kind of interjection.

“Sumac said a voice demanded he wake up to stop a threat by changing three runes around the village.” Nigel replies translating. “We couldn’t harm that thing we thought it was banished. I’m sorry it got to your world.”

“Considering what you’ve told me this could have been worse. Some did die however but the deaths were limited by the fact that this Wendego was contained to the village boundaries.” Cody remarks sternly.

It was then an electronic alarm sounded cutting off Cody’s next statement.

“I lost track of time the plane shift is about to happen.” Nigel remarks startled.

Cody sees Nigel begin fade from view and grabs his lock box with one hand and pulls out his puzzle cube with the other thrusting into the space where Nigel was standing. The cabin interior fades out being replaced by the front yard of an American suburban home.

Nigel morphed from trekkie cos-player to collage age woman right before Cody’s eyes. It was by bad luck however that he had been slow to react with his cube as the girl that was Nigel ended up ten feet away from him. The sound of the front door opening forced Cody to hide behind the corner of a fence as to not get spotted.

While the meeting took place, Apple Bloom returned to the clearing with her friends to figure out what the statue guard was meant to do.

“So this is the place?” Sweety Bell exclaims.

“Yep. Did yah bring the books?” Apple Bloom asks.

“Right here, but it was really hard to convince Twilight not to come.” Sweety Bell replies.

“Why was that by the way?” Scootaloo adds.

“Ah just think it’s a little early for adult help is all. We need to clean the rock fellow up and map what it do in.” Apple Bloom responds. “Once we figure it all out it will be easier to convince them to give it a look.”

“Sounds like our crusader days again. How are we doing this?” Scootaloo asks.

“One of Twilight’s conditions for the books was that we treat it like an archeological dig.” Sweety Bell replies pulling out additional scrolls and magic camera.

“She’s giving us homework! Apple Bloom, this going to take us forever to do.” Scootaloo snaps.

“There they are every pony.” Little Pip announces leading a group of their classmates.

“Ah invited some help.” Applebloom replies.

“We’re eager to see all this in action. It would be cool. We might even get in the paper.” Another student cheers.

“Well Twilight said she would help us publish this. If we do it by the book.” Sweety Bell adds. “Who wants to run the camera first?”

Over the next month or so the kids excavated and restored the statue ground. Elsewhere back on the LaClaire Earth Cody watches Kelly Mathews, who he was introduced to as Nigel; greet her mom.

“Kelly you’re home.” Kelly’s mother Heather cheers giving her daughter a hug. “I’ve got to pick up some groceries at the corner store. Your father and Erin are at the movies. And one last thing Jason will be over shortly; make sure you thank him for the present he left and enjoy your evening.”

“Wow… I will mom.” Kelly replies feeling her heart flutter. “Did he say what time? I still need to drop off my assignment.”

“He’ll be over at 3:20 you should be able to make it with just enough time if you head out now.” Heather replies.

“Sumac, will you let Jason Know I’ll be back if he gets here before me? Just keep the gesture simple.” Kelly asks getting in her own car.

Sumac nods his head and lies down in a large empty planter shifting his form to appear a decorative hedge. Cody choosing to sneakily climb into a tree and wait until the boy friend is sent home at the day’s end to make contact with Kelly.

The drive to Kelly’s college Olive Branch Technical was relaxing to the student agent. Traffic was mild as the lunch rush had ended and the school was on the out skirts of downtown. The radio was tuned to Fiery Classics FM and played Born in the USA, Flash Dance, Eye of the Tiger, and Hang Your Head during Kelly’s trip to her school.

Pulling into a small two deck parking lot Kelly turned off the car and locked up. She then took the stairs to the exit and walked north a block past an outdoor food court to reach her school.

The Olive Branch Tech building was three story red brick building with a green metal roof. A large white sign engraved with the school’s name was present at the front door of the school lit by mini spot lights and framed by a bed of wild flowers.

Outside the building and likely coming back with lunch were Dennis and Jean two of Kelly’s partners in the game demo portfolio project.

“Kelly it’s great to see you.” Dennis says pulling the cigarette from his mouth and flicking away some of the ashes. “We didn’t expect you to be over for another week.”

“The project deadline was extended another three weeks you know. You should spend some of that time with family and that boy of yours.” Jean added. “PTSD is nothing to ignore and family helps.”

“Guys you don’t need to fret. I'm doing therapy paid by the government twice a week and as soon as I turn in my side of things Jason has a surprise for me.” Kelly replies partially lying with only a hint annoyance.

“Wait you finished up all that programming?!” Dennis replies in disbelief.

“It’s how I cope, and no I don’t pull 48 hour shifts.” Kelly retorts. “I go to sleep on time and I do have my shoulder to cry on.”

“Okay we get it girl, no more harping on the convention lets go inside.” Jeans replies getting the hint.

Dennis and Jean were two of Kelly’s three partners on the assignment. Dennis handled the sound and music work while Jean made the graphical assets with Otis. The dialog and event script had been worked on and decided months before the whole group which Kelly had been working from to do her part.

The trio took the elevator to the top floor and entered their class where they found Otis and the substitute Instructor Ms. Killian the replacement for Mr. Lancer. Mr. Lancer taking a leave of absence over the guilt he suffered over the Silicon Glades attack.

“Hello Ms. Matthews how are you doing?” Ms. Killian greets warmly. “Would I be correct to say that you’re here to turn something in?”

“Yes to both Ms. Killian.” Kelly adds.

“I do hope you will be available to debug any code errors you have as it is an unusual arrangement your under. I am more than willing to provide extensions if your team should need them.” Ms. Killian replies.

“No worries I get all my messages and I should be here in between my therapy sessions.” Kelly replies.

“Okay then Ms. Matthews you’ll find Otis in the back compiling the graphic assets.” Ms. Killian concludes.

Heading over to the server computer the group finds Otis waiting for the computer to finish its enormous task.

“Kelly bad timing, this snail of a machine is holding our art hostage.” Otis greets bringing an unintended chill to the room.

“Otis come on man, watch your metaphors.” Dennis retorts.

“Sorry Kelly it’s just… I just hoped our sweet graphics would be rendered by now, but it’s all lagging out.” Otis replies apologetically. “Jason sent a text informing us that you were going to briefly be here.”

“Jason said I would briefly be here?” Kelly asks surprised and miffed.

“Kelly I’m not going to wreak things for my favorite acquaintance couple. He’s looking forward to this day and we here have start integrating all of our pieces.” Otis continues saying as he rises up to give Kelly a hug. “We will send you any bug reports that come up. You haven’t let us down in the past and we look forward to handing you your own copy at submission time.”

“You’ll keep me informed?” Kelly replies handing over a portable drive her code work was on to Otis.

“You have our word Kelly. Now hurry home and don’t keep Jason waiting.” Dennis replies giving Kelly a hug of her own.

With one final wave good bye Kelly makes her way back to the parking garage where her car was parked and drives home. Pulling into the driveway and turning off her car Kelly get surprised by Jason opening her door for her.

“Welcome home honey.” Jason says to Kelly before giving her a kiss and placing an uncomfortable heavy pair of glasses on her face. “I have something special set up just for this evening and these are part of the experience and part of your anniversary present.”

The glasses themselves were styled like safety glasses and seemed to have light activated tinting.

“Jason I’m not really a glasses wearing type and what do you mean part of my present?” Kelly asks blushing.

“You’ll see. Just come inside.” Jason replies taking hold of Kelly’s hand and leading her to the front door of the house.

When the door was opened Kelly had to do a double take as the entire living room took on the look of an expensive restaurant establishment. The living room table had a fancy flower center piece, napkins and candelabras, Sumac even fluttered over in what appear to be a very formal waiters uniform.

Kelly even vividly heard romantic violin music prompting her to lift up her glasses some before Jason stopped her.

“No Kelly you’ll ruin the effect.” Jason softly whispers. “I originally intended to just get you these and take you to a fine dining establishment, but under the current circumstances I could never get us a timely reservation. So I got your school friends to help me set this up and a coworker of mine modified the glasses to make them sturdier and added the light activated tinting lenses.”

“Jason…” Kelly gasps feeling her heart flutter as Jason reveals a home cooked beef roast with sweat potatoes, a handmade garden salad with shredded cheese, and a black forest cheesecake. “Did you cook this all?”

“Yep, shall we eat?” Jason replies.

“I can’t imagine a better way to spend this evening.” Kelly replies smiling letting Jason pull out her chair to sit down

Over the next three hours the pair ate the romantic meal and talked. Jason eventually headed home and Kelly take off the glasses to find all the AR tags that helped the glasses make the effect. Kelly had to remember to thank her friends for making Jason’s and her anniversary great.

Just as she is about to go up stairs Kelly hears a knock on the door. Outside waiting for her was Cody.

“Apologies for dropping by like this but we didn’t finish our talk.” Cody says plainly. “May I come in?”

Kelly quickly ushers Cody inside.

“How did you follow me?” Kelly demands stunned.

“Magical artifact to answer your question, mate.” Cody replies pulling out his puzzle cube. “Still need some answers of me own like why do you still go back if this is your home?”

“I don’t have a choice. The short of it all is despite having the government assistance of two worlds I’m forcefully pulled back between them.” Kelly replies downcast.

“I take it that contraption with all the sensors is part of this government’s solution.” Cody asks pointing to the Planer Trans-locator on Kelly’s left arm.

“Yes, and I nearly forgot about it being equipped.” Kelly replies eye brows furrowing.

“You can take it off… May I see it?” Cody asks somewhat demanding.

“No… no to both. The CIA has the unlock codes and keys. I’m also certain doing so would constitute a federal crime under the Tracer Initiative.” Kelly replies backing away.

“You’re a guest here Cody know your place!” Sumac threatens landing on Kelly’s Shoulder electricity arcing between her hands. “Don’t under estimate me because of my current size.”

“Alright point taken but don’t think you'd be rid of me so easily either Fae born. I apologize for coming off menacing Kelly.” Cody replies calming himself. “Can you tell me the theory on how your using of that device solves your condition?”

“I can. My… my mission or task. I don’t know which term really applies is to scan others in the same situation as me who will allow it so I can isolate the Merchant’s planer signal.” Kelly replies. Taking a breath she continues. “Once I’ve done that it is our plan to separate his signal from my own and make me normal so I’m here full time again.”

“I take it you have no luck?” Cody asks as Kelly holds up her hand to stop him.

“I want to continue this privately. My family will be home soon and I don’t want them to freak out over an Intruder.” Kelly replies before writing a note explaining her day as well as asking to not be disturbed.

After the trio enters Kelly’s room she locks the door and sits at her desk and takes off her glasses.

“I’ve met one other displaced in the months, or maybe weeks in this world; since this all started and he could not help me.” Kelly starts with a sigh. “Compared to me he was a veteran of possibly decades at this. If I remember he said he was reborn or more likely reset and had no memory of his life. Meaning any item from his home was lost to him at that time.”

“Do you think your task is hopeless?” Cody asks trying to sound comforting.

“No. I know tokens which can let me contact other displaced are out there I just haven’t found any yet.” Kelly replies.

“Wish I had cutting edge tech like these in my work. Is your gadget plug n’ play by any chance?” Cody asks picking up her glasses that Jason got her. “If I understand you right the other displaced should have different signals from you. Your gadget should be able to integrate these no problem.”

Kelly’s features seemed to lighten up in hope.

“I can’t access the inner working by myself but maybe I can get my handler too remote unlock.” Kelly replies excitedly getting ready make a call.

“Great and I might even have something that might help.” Cody adds pulling out a Blueray disk. “Just don’t tell them I’m here.”

“What’s this?” Kelly asks pausing in her phone dialing.

“A tool called a Cryptonomicon in digital form. It lets me hunt down Poltergeists by detecting unnatural alien energy on things. It is so precise in fact that exposes weaknesses that you can use against the spook.” Cody replies causing Kelly to quickly fire up her laptop. “I thought you were making a call?”

“I am but your tool is more than just a scan utility as you said it can expose weaknesses.” Kelly replies.

“That part only incorporates occult applications…” Cody replies confused.

“Part of programming was changed by magic. The reason I change bodies is because of this glitch. But also some of my stuff can travel with me because my Trans-locator links my things to my signal.” Kelly explains putting in his disk and finishing the dial out. “I have an idea. Hello this is Kelly requesting secure connection.”

“Rick speaking connection is secure.” A voice from Kelly’s phone responds.

“I’ve got some new equipment to setup and register.” Kelly replies.

“This is highly irregular what kind of equipment?” Rick replies sternly.

“AR glasses model Eagle Eye AR1000.” Kelly replies opening a coding utility.

“Your shitting me those glasses retail in around a $1000, have built in speakers and microphone system, even a USB adapter. Who the hell bought you thoughts?” Rick sputtered in disbelief.

“It was my boyfriend and for our anniversary.” Kelly adds with pride as she furiously types line of code on her laptop. “He even cooked our three course meal.”

“Of all the luck…” Rick replies miffed. “We’ll have to manually write the plug-ins needed to export the Trans-locator sensor data to the glasses but it can be done. I’m setting of the secure data connection just power on the Trans-locator and I’ll unlock it and begin.”

The code Kelly executes lets her break into that connection. A trick she learned after Otis’s computer was ransomware hi-jacked and Dennis and Jean used it to break into the hacker’s computer programming it to tattle to the cops later. The code let Kelly view Rick’s programming and wedge open the port to the system files after Rick closed out things on his end.

For the next several hours of the night Cody helped Kelly integrate the Cryptonomicon executable into the Trans-locators systems, mostly by getting her different books or notes. She even used what she learned from Robotnik’s own mystery code to create the “Folklore Killer” command.

Folklore Killer was part tracking program that integrated Cody’s program and the AR glasses, and part planer signal modifying overlay utility. Kelly would now be able to see any phenomena her Trans-locator detected in real time as an AR tag item. The effect would be very video game like. The other effect, in theory would let Kelly treat her own registered equipment essentially as video game like equipment whose stats would grant her advantages against a single target. Like if the target was a werewolf her sword would mimic silver damage and her armor would blunt the enemy’s own counter attacks even projectiles.

Due to the Cryptonomicon’s limitations multiple signal overlays cannot be used at the same time as each one would conflict and cancel the other out. Power consumption would also force the program into emergency shut down after 15 – 20 minutes of an overlays use so as to not kill the power cells.

Lastly Kelly included code that would revert all of her changes back to Rick’s original work if anyone accessed the system file again to inspect them thus hiding her trespass.

Kelly would use voice commands to activate the new features of Tracking mode or Hunter mode.

When all was done Kelly would only have 8 hours of home life after sleeping before she transitioned back.

“Seem like it is time to head back and conclude my investigation.” Cody remarks with a yawn rubbing his weary eyes.

“Hold on I’m trying something.” Kelly replies with the click of the enter key a copy of the AR glasses is created which she hands to Cody. “I’ve heard that it is a displaced custom to present an item to other displaced that helped them when everything is done. You seemed to be interested in them.”

“Thanks mate if you ever end up in my backyard give me a ring.” Cody replies smiling pocketing the glasses and pulling out his puzzle cube. In a flash of lavender light the hunter was gone.

Kelly tells no one in her family of Cody’s visit and spend her last hours enjoying her family’s company.

Upon Returning to Equestria Kelly get a knock on the door of her temporary home.

“Who could it be now?” Kelly mumbles going for the door with Sumac walking over to join Kelly at the entrance.

“Nigel it’s good to see yah.” Apple Bloom cheerfully greets leading a crowd of other fillies behind her. “Come with us to the library you helped as much as anypony. Twilight is waiting.”

“What do mean Apple Bloom? I last saw you when you wanted to catch that gray cap.” Kelly replies shocked.

“Precisely if not for you ah would not have gotten interested in that statue thing. We all restored that place and now we getting published for its discovery.” Apple Bloom remarks to the cheers of the others.

“CMC Archeologists, yeah!” the fillies all cheered.

Nigel at the continued insistence of the kids went to the Library where Twilight, the mayor and even Princess Trixie were all waiting for them. Kelly got to look at the thick brown book that logged the fillies work from simple clean up to the restoration of a second statue guard by Twilight and Sweety Bell to finally the opening of a magically revealed chest. It was a lost Landstalker statue puzzle that the kids fixed and solved and Nigel had made it possible.

“You’re the last one we need to photograph Nigel in cataloging this accomplishment.” Twilight Sparkle says smiling.

“That’s your cue to smile for the camera.” Princess Trixie adds right as Nigel looks over to see the camera pony and catches the flash.

In the Ponyville Town hall sits a gold statuette identified as the ‘Statue of Jypta’ next to the filly authored archeological dig record book.

Author's Note:

I considered having something happen to Applebloom as a setup to the next arc but that would make a running theme to my character's challenges that needed to stop. So I ended it more on a high note for this interaction.
I will need to think about what the next arc will be.

Not sure what incident will consist of the next arc but it will include other Displaced characters, probably simulated OCs I make. If anyone has questions related to the next arc please message.

Folklore Killer - A custom tracking and planer signal augmentation utility:
Utility uses a paranormal clue based entity analysis system. (Hellsign game)
* 2 clues enables Tracking mode of an entity.
* Multiple entities made be scheduled for tracking up to 3.
* 4 clues enables entity identification if found in Cryptonomicon index and Hunting mode with visual tracking of energy after image.
* Hunting mode can only be armed against one entity at a time. Must terminate use at 20 minutes max and system recharge or complete a 72 hour passive recovery cycle before next use.
* 6 clues enables the paranormal essence analysis function and applies entity weakness and paranormal counter agent data to registered equipment.
* 8 clue stage enhances weapons, armor, and other equipment to increase damage to and resistance to Hunted entity to 200% of normal effect.