• Published 13th Oct 2015
  • 872 Views, 9 Comments

When the Sun Kisses the Stars - Ninjaoftimeandspace



Twilight and Sunset Shimmer go on a summer road trip.

  • ...
3
 9
 872

Day 1

Author's Note:

A/N: So this is a self indulgent Sunlight Road Trip!Au Fic set after the events of The Friendship Games, which means Sci-Twi will be in it. I apology for several poor name related puns, but if MLP can do it I'm going to take a chance, also my grammar if it's awful

Day 1:

Twilight stared out the window watching the blur of trees, houses, and signs pass by. Her purple hair with the single pink streak blew in the breeze from the open windows. Looking down a notebook sat in her lap. She brought it along to record all the adventures she and her six friends were going to have for the next two months of their summer vacation. Yet, most of them expressed their sediments about having to miss it due to their own plans. Twilight nodded in understanding, but was also a little disappointed. At first girl thought it was because they didn't like as much as she thought. They all had a legitimate reason, but that didn't stop the voice of doubt to whisper in her ear. Thankfully, her newest friend Sunset Shimmer didn't have anything to do. She gratefully volunteered to go every place with Twilight.

She pushed her glasses up the bridge of her nose, and glanced over at the girl. The fresh air blowing through her orange and red hair. Sunset wore her typical leather jacket, a pair of purple sunglasses covered brilliant emerald green eyes. Noticing her nerdy and shy friends gaze, a half smile curved her lips. “Are you enjoying the trip so far, Twi?”

Staring down at her feet, she replied, “Yeah, thanks again for doing this, I really do appreciate it.”

“Not a problem at all, we're friends after all, and that's what friends do.” Wow, that was cheesy. The influences friendship can have on a person, she sighed internally.

“I have to admit, it does seem strange for me to have such nice and wonderful friends after spending years alone,” Twilight whispered, still looking down at the floorboard.

“I know how you feel, one day you're the most feared girl in the school. The next you got six companions who are willing to see you get back on the path of good,” Sunset chuckled. She had the school in the palm of her hand. Everyone feared her, until a certain pony princess came and gave her a massive reality check. “You'll get used to it though, I can promise you that,” she assured giving the girl a small smile.

Twilight looked up returning it. Turning her head back to the window silence filled the space once more. Twenty minutes outside their hometown, Sunset noticed they were getting closer to a bigger city.

“So, navigator, where are we heading to first on this summer adventure?”

Pushing her glasses up once again, she opened the notebook to the first page. Skimming her finger down the paper passing several crossed out ideas. The official list had been shot to hell upon talking to each friend, and once they revealed their already set plans. The first stop was supposed to be one of those tourist traps Pinkie Pie loved so much. The World's Largest Yarn Ball. Twilight failed to see the appeal in such a waste of time and yarn, but she figured the seven of them could have enjoyed it if one understood the idea. “How do you feel about the Space Museum?” she asked shyly.

“Sounds like a blast, actually. Just tell me when to turn, and we'll enjoy a day nerdy fun.”

Twilight nodded informing Sunset to take the next turn and follow it until they reached the marker. “Since we have some time on our hands, how about a road game? I've done my research on several.”

Sunset obligated, “Sure, we can play a game.”

(Line Break)

The trip to the Space Museum took little more than an hour. Parking in the crowded lot, Twilight got our rubbing her left shoulder. "When I did my research on that game I don't recall reading about punching a person in the arm every time a different license plate came into view."

With an apologetic smile, Sunset placed a hand on the girl's other shoulder. "Sorry, but you're lucky Rainbow isn't here. Your arm would look and feel far worse."

Lifting up her sleeve, Twilight didn't see any discoloring, it just hurt. "I see your point, lesson learned though. We'll only play safe car games from now."

Sunset walked by, threw a coy smirk over her shoulder, "Good thing too, 'cause I know there's a Coltswagon car lot near here."

Twilight didn't understand what red and golden hair meant. Judging by the devious smile, though it couldn't have been anything good. Ignoring a strange feeling in her chest Twilight carried on heading towards the museum. Entering, she was greeted by a huge dangling solar system composed of all nine planets. Twilight stood there awestruck by the beauty the stunning display offered. They each rotated around Celestia's sun at their own pace like they do in space itself. She saw the details put onto each once from the various ridges, crevices, and flat barren areas. They even went so far as to include all the moons circling each one.

"Hey, Twi I got the tickets,” Sunset called. Finding Twilight still standing there she chuckled lightly, upon seeing her friend enamored with the display above. Walking over she placed a hand on Twilight's arm.

Jumping from the touch Twilight fixed her glasses. "Sorry, Sunset I got, um, distracted by this. I've never seen anything quite this scientifically accurate and pleasing to the eyes."

That isn't all that's pleasing to the eyes, Sunset thought, noticing the way Twilight's lavender eyes light up and a beaming smile curved her lips, whenever she talked science. Feeling her cheeks heat up at her thoughts, Sunset asked, "Ready?"

Twilight nodded and the pair began their journey through the wonders of space. They started off the very beginning of the stars themselves, the various planets making up the galaxy, they lived in, the sun, moon, comets, meteorites, and other aspect the cosmos could offer.

Next, they wandered down sections explaining and showcasing how ancient civilization's documented the stars creating their own calendars. Some theorizing two sister goddess controlled the night and day. From the philosophers of yore dreaming of going beyond the stars. Following the timeline, Twilight corrected a few things about she noticed that were inaccurate about Aristrawtle and Plato. The invention of the first telescope discovered in the 1600s to the man who improved it: Galileo and how it revolutionized the view of space.

After making their way through centuries of astronomy and theories about space. They arrived at one of Twilight's favorite moments of history for the sake of science and exploration: the Great Space Race. Whoever reached the moon first would bath in history changing glory. Two great Equestrian nations building to reach the stars. From there they gazed at the miniature display of Neil Hoofstrong landing upon the moon. "It really would be remarkable to see the entirety of Equestria from the moon," Twilight said amazed. "I just wish the others were here, I'm sure they would be fascinated by all this wonder.”

"Yeah, it would be nice," Sunset agreed. Sunset glanced around seeing a large hanging version of Equestria. "Hey Twilight, get a picture of this and sending it Rainbow. Unsure why Rainbow Dash would something like this pleasing Twilight obligated. Snapping the photo, she looked at it before sending it. Sunset looked as if she had the entire world in the palm of her hand. "Did you get it?" Sunset asked, standing beside her.

"Done and sent."

They left the Space Race Exhibit and ended up near the food court. Sunset looped her arm through Twilight. "Let's grab some food before we to do anything else, okay?"

"I could a drink and it is time for lunch," Twilight nodded, a light blush coating her cheeks feeling Sunset pulling her along.

"Great my treat today."

Getting their lunch, Twilight grew curious about a package with the words Space Ice Cream. Purchasing it, the pair sat down with their salads and water. She poked at her salad glancing at her friend. "Sunset, are you having fun?" she asked concerned.

"Yeah, I am. I'm more into chemistry that astronomy, but seeing you enjoy yourself is making this worthy wild."

Twilight smiled and started to eat her lunch. Her phone buzzed, checking it, she had received a reply from her earlier text to Rainbow Dash. Tapping it, she handed it over, "Rainbow replied with a text."

Taking the phone Sunset rolled her eyes: Hey, looks like you finally got the world in the palm of your hand!

"I take it, what she said was hurtful and insensitive."

"Just forget about it. The past is behind me,” she stated casually deleting the text. Seeing the foil package, she asked, changing the subject.

"Oh, this space ice cream peeked mg curiosity, and figured we could try it."

"Sure, why not?" Reaching in taking a pink and white cube, Sunset bravery tried it. "Wow, that is awful."

"Really?" Examining a brown cube, she popped it into her mouth and frowned at the taste. "Taking into consideration that alterations had to be made to simulate what ice cream would taste like in space this really nasty."

The two exchanged half smiles and a quick laugh. Twilight unzipped her backpack expecting to see Spike's head to pop out tongue lolling out, but he wanted to stay with Candace and Shining Armor. Pulling out her notebook checking the time and comparing it to her schedule. "The planetarium should be restarting soon."

"Then, let's get going." Throwing their trash away, the two friends entered the dimly light room, taking a seat, Twilight reached out for the armrest. She found herself suddenly touching Sunset's arm. Pulling away, she averted her gaze, and twirled her hair around her finger. The room was cloaked in darkness and the light show began. In the reflection of beaming lavender eyes the stars of the night sky light up before her.

(Line Break)

The pair arrived at the hotel three hours behind schedule. Twilight looked through her notes a little miffed to how it happened. They did everything she had listed for that day. Sitting on one of the beds, she tapped the pencil eraser against her bottom lip. Sunset walked out of the bathroom wearing a purple shirt and pants. "Sunset," the girl began. "How is it possible that we spent an extra threes at the museum?"

Sunset thought about her answer. When she spent her days alone time the minutes felt like hours, and hours felt like days. The ticking of a clock annoyed her, she gritted her teeth with every movement of the second-hand. After the events of the Fall Formal, becoming a raging she-demon a single hand came down from the heaven lifting her from hell. Princess Twilight Sparkle opened and brighten her world to the magic of friendship. She came to enjoy the days, every second became filled with laughter and Sunset earned redemption.

Taking a seat on the bed, she reached out taking the studious girl's hand. "Pinkie once told me time flies when you're having fun. That's what we did today, have fun and the hours seemed to fly by, right?"

"Yes, despite having to fix my original plans to compensate for the missing parties, I did take lots of pleasure in spending time with you." Twilight hugged her legs, placed her head upon them, and sighed, "I just hope the rest of the trip is like this first day."

Offering her sincere smile, Sunset replied, "I guess we'll just have to see where the road takes us." Standing up, she placed a gentle kiss upon her friend's head, "I'm hitting the hay. Night Twilight."

Setting her things Twilight relaxed on the bed. Covering she glanced at Sunset Shimmer glad to have such a decent friend to spend time with. "Goodnight Sunset." Closing her eyes, she was glad the first turned out great and hoping the unforeseeable future days would be just as good or better.