• Published 19th Jan 2016
  • 2,166 Views, 57 Comments

The Sun, The Moon, and The Stars - Phoenix Firebird



There have always been 2 Princesses of Equestria. In recent years, two more have joined the Royal Family. They rule with harmony and grace, and are loved by all Equestria. However, there once was a third with the two sisters. And HE still lives.

  • ...
7
 57
 2,166

...Or Maybe Not.

'I should not have done that.'

Midnight ducked his head as a bolt of magic flew over his head as he galloped away from the source of it; a squad of guards pursuing him.

'Yeah, I definitely should not have done that.'

He continued to gallop, as he dodged and ducked under more magic bolts. He shot a few of his own back at random into the approaching and ever-growing squad of Royal Guards. He made sharp turns into alleyways and around street corners, trying to find the edge of the city. He knew he could get away if he found the drop-off.

As he made a particularly sharp turn onto Regius Avenue, he came face to face with one of the scariest things he had ever seen in all his life.

Princess Luna, up in the air, looking like she could turn to Nightmare Moon any second, with a platoon of unicorn guards behind her, horns at the ready.

"Oh buck..." he mumbled, backing away slowly.

"Oh buck indeed, MIDNIGHT." Luna said that last part with a certain intensity, an intensity that could make you get goosebumps all over your body. He turned around, hoping to go back the way he came, but found that the squad of guards that had been chasing him was in formation behind him.

"There's really no place to go, Midnight," said Luna, lowering back to the ground. "The only way that could possibly let you escape is your Star Flight, but you would destroy every window within a mile. You could injure or even kill a pony. You wouldn't want that, now would you?"

"Luna, this is not how I wanted to reunite with you and Ti-" He caught his tongue, holding back that name. "Celestia."

"And yet, you create an event that will have everyone looking to me, my sister, Cadence, and Twilight for answers, you resist arrest, and you attack a squad of Royal Guards." Luna bit back, voice full of anger. And yet, he picked up on something else inside her voice.

Worry. Frightfulness.

"Luna...there is no reason for your aggression. Please calm-"

"NO!"

Midnight winced as Luna dropped into the Royal Canterlot Voice, with her eyes closed and angry tears flowing down her muzzle.

"I WON'T LET YOU TAKE AWAY MY NIGHT!!" She screamed. She then did something that Midnight had not expected.

She charged at him, eyes blazing with fury, taking flight as she got closer.

Luna was a great warrior, definitely one of the greatest warriors Equestria had ever known, but she had never fought a full-size alicorn in her Luna-state. Midnight was taller than she was, and had more raw muscle hidden under his slender body than met the eye.

He charged up his horn, ready to defend against the blow that was certain to come.

He just hoped everypony around them was ready for it.

Midnight took his stance, and then-

Horns collided.

A blast wave flung guards in all directions breaking every window and streetlamp surrounding them. Luna was pushing everything she had into her attack, pushing hard into Midnight's horn with her wings and head. He started to slide back into the asphalt of the street.

"Luna, that's enough! Stop! I don't want to hurt you!" he begged, tears threatening to spill from his eyes. She ignored him, pushing more so.

He then stopped moving.

Luna felt it, and opened her eyes. Her pupils shrunk and her mouth fell open as he started to push her back, leaning into his attack as well. She saw a light growing, and looked up at his horn. It took her only a second to figure out what was coming, but by that point-

BOOM!

It was too late.

The blast from Midnight's horn blew her into a cafe, through the empty window. She collapsed onto a table, breaking it with the force of her momentum. She stumbled back up, her entire body sore and bruised. She fluttered her eyes open slowly, weary from pain. She looked back at Midnight, only to be blasted back to the ground.

He was gone.


Midnight blasted up from the scene, blasting up at speeds that tittered dangerously close to supersonic. As he flew away from Canterlot, he felt the rainbow cone form around him, tightening and tightening, until he saw the wave of rainbow energy soar from around him. He left a rainbow trail behind him as he soared across the night sky.

Personally, rainbows weren't his thing.

He felt another cone start to solidify around him, one that was glittering and a deep, majestic purple. He pushed to his full capacity, and felt the cone get tighten, until it sent out a deafening BOOM and a purple wave of stardust emerged from around him. He looked behind him, and found his body was glowing and sparkling white, with sharp prongs of light energy coming off him and leaving a trail of stardust behind him.

He smiled widely as he continued to fly, sending out glorious laughter as he flew.

Because he was flying at ultraspeed. He was a shooting star.

He would arrive at his destination in less than an hour at this speed.

He had absolutely no doubt that the Princesses would be looking for him. They would be deploying every royal guard they could. He was certain that Princess Cadence was aware of his existence at least, and would soon know that he had returned.

However...Princess Twilight might not know. Possibly.

At this point, that was his only hope.


"Twilight, can I PLEASE go to bed? We've already done this twice..." Spike groaned as he started to triple-check the nighttime list, per request of none other than Twilight Sparkle.

"Spike...", Twilight whined, letting her back slump and putting on her pouty face. "We need to make sure everything is ready! For all we know, Equestria could fall into chaos tomorrow! If so much as ONE thing is out of place, it could spell doom for us and the rest of Equestria!"

"Twilight," Spike deadpanned, before rolling his eyes with a sigh. "I love you and all, but you need to, and I mean this with as much kindness I can muster, CHILL. Nothing is going to happ-" He was cut off by a passing light going through Twilight's window.

"What was that?" Twilight said in a questioning tone as she trotted over to the window, Spike in close pursuit. Their mouths fell open as they watched the orbs of light shoot through the moonlit sky.

"I've seen an occasional shooting star, but never something like this...", Twilight muttered as she watched the storm pass. She turned to Spike, with her mouth still slightly open.

"Spike, grab some parchment and a quill. I need to send a lette-" Before she could finish, a belch of green flame came from Spike's mouth, only to have a roll of parchment with the Royal Seal of Equestria appear in a small, white flash.

Twilight grabbed the letter in her magic, and brought it over to herself. She undid the red ribbon around it, opened it, and began to read.

My dearest Twilight,

One of these days, I will write to you under favorable circumstances. Sadly, today is not one of those days. I assume you saw the storm of stars in the sky minutes ago. This event is not the first of it's kind, and most certainly won't be the last.

An old...friend of mine has returned to Equestria. I do not have time to go into details at the moment, but I require your presence in Canterlot IMMEDIATELY.

Yours truly,

Princess Celestia

Twilight stood there, frozen, staring off into space as Spike took the letter from her magical grip and read it himself. After he finished reading the letter, he rolled it back up and looked over at Twilight. He could see her mind was at work, trying to think back on who this "friend" could possibly be.

"Twilight, hello?" He got no response. "Equestria to Twilight, do you copy?"

Twilight finally shook her head, still with a questioning look on her face. She opened her mouth to speak, but before she could get a word out, a familiar boom was heard from outside. A glance at the window showed a rainbow-colored wave of energy emerging from a point in the sky between Canterlot and her vantage point.

"Why in Equestria is Rainbow Dash up at this hour?" Twilight mumbled as looked out the window. "She can barely stay up during the day..."

A flash of light shown moments later, causing Twilight to shun away from the window. She looked back and saw a ball of light start to form in the sky, right where the explosion of light happened. She couldn't believe her eyes...again.

"Spike, go get Rarity, Pinkie, and Fluttershy, and bring there here ASAP. I'll get Applejack and Rainbow. I have a feeling all of them are going to have to come with us to Canterlot."


"So let me get this straight. A creature has returned to Equestria that can perform a Sonic Rainboom AND can fly faster than that? AWESOME!" Rainbow cheered gleefully as Twilight paced around the Cutie Map, waiting for Rarity and Applejack to show up.

"NO. NOT AWESOME!" Twilight counteracted as she turned to Rainbow. "This is a creature that has given PRINCESS CELESTIA a reason to be worried! Every SINGLE creature that has given the Princess a reason to worry has led to events that have the very fate of Equestria in the balance!"

"But she claimed that they were a friend! So they can't possibly be THAT bad!" Pinkie claimed, hopping around cheerfully.

"Discord is the Princess's friend, and yet, he almost destroyed our friendship!"

"I agree with Twilight...and Rainbow. And Pinkie....Oh, and probably Spike, Applejack, and Rarity. Fluttershy said quietly, one eye hidden behind her hair as she looked down at the crystal floor.

"You can't agree with everyone, Fluttershy." Rainbow deadpanned as she looked over at Fluttershy, who had a blush on her face and hid behind her hair.

Twilight opened her mouth to say something, but just as she started, Spike, and a tired Applejack and Rarity walked into the room, each with luggage, one with a bit much for an emergency(guess who).

"Good, you guys are finally here! Let's get to the train station!" Twilight exclaimed with a bit too much glee for the current situation.

"Twi, do ya mind explaining what this is all about?" Applejack asked, a questioning face staring at her.

"Indeed darling, I would like to know the reason for having my beauty sleep interrupted." Rarity said as she tossed her curls with her hoof.

"I'll explain, but we really need to get going. The train takes 5 hours to travel to Canterlot." Twilight said before hearing Rarity jump up and scream-

"WE'RE GOING TO CANTERLOT?!"

"Ugh, yes, BUT WE NEED TO GO NOW!" Twilight yelled as she started walking out the door, luggage in magic.

As Twilight and her friends walked through the main hall towards the grand doors, they slammed open, cracking the crystal wall behind them. A star stood in the door, sparkling and gleaming as it moved into the castle. It stopped 10 feet in front of them, simply standing there in all it's glory.

"Twilight Sparkle."

Twilight squinted at the star, silent as she stared at it. Her friends stood on each of her sides, looking at the star fiercely, ready to protect her from any action this thing could make.

After a few moments, the star began to dim, it's light and sparkles fading. The shadow of a figure started to appear, it's features becoming more apparent. A long horn appear, four slender legs appear, a waving mane and tail appearing. But most shocking of all...

A pair of wings erupting from the barrel of the creature.

As they watch this, their mouths drop, pupils shrinking as an alicorn walks up right to Twilight. Twilight is in absolute shock, her body leaning away from the alicorn as HE walks up to her. He puts his hoof under her chin, tilts her head up to him, and smiles, saying in a quiet tone:

"Twilight Sparkle, I am Midnight Star, Prince of the Stars, Royal Representative of the Sovereign Nation of Equestria. I have been gone for 4 millennia, and I need you to know one thing; I am not your enemy."

That was the last thing she remembered before she fainted.

Author's Note:

I do enjoy writing this.

Well, I'm un-grounded! YAY!! :twilightsheepish:

I hope you enjoyed this chapter of my story, and as always, please leave a like and a comment!

Yours truly, mon amis,