• Published 20th Oct 2015
  • 580 Views, 4 Comments

Untold Stories of Equestria: Episode Four- Nightmare's Eclipse - Sparrow9642



What will happen when an old enemy of Luna's returns?

  • ...
 4
 580

Hospitality With Discord

While everypony else prepared for the eclipse, Luna travelled with Discord to his dimensional home, which to Luna seemed like a nightmare dimension. Luna stared around at the surroundings, as Discord escorted her to his home, which was just a small house on a narrow support beam constructed out of fragile stone. Luna was a little afraid, but she had seen worse in her lifetime, so she brushed aside her fears and continued onward.

At Discord's doorstep, Luna wiped her hooves, despite them being clean, while Discord held the door open for her.

"After you, dear princess," said Discord.

Luna stepped into Discord's home which seemed like any other ordinary home. She was surprised how clean it was, which she figured was thanks to Fluttershy managing to tidy up Discord's hygiene.

"My my," said Luna. "Fluttershy has certainly impacted your cleanliness, Discord."

"Why, thank you, my dear," replied Discord. "I've been trying, thanks to Fluttershy's advice during her visits."

"Well, you've done a marvelous job at it," complimented Luna.

Discord smiled, as he shut the door to his home. "Please. Have a seat, while I fetch us a spot of tea," said Discord.

Luna accepted Discord's offer and took a seat on the longest couch, already feeling relieved. Discord snapped his fingers, producing a tray with tea cups, a tea pot, and some sugar cubes, setting it on the living room table. Luna attempted to use her magic to pour her own tea, but was stopped by Discord.

"Allow me," offered Discord. "You are the guest of honor, therefore you shall not have to use magic for anything."

"It's no big deal, Discord," replied Luna. "Using my magic barely phases me."

"Oh, but I insist," claimed Discord.

"Very well. Two sugar cubes, if you may."

"Certainly," replied Discord, pouring Luna's tea, along with two sugar cubes.

Discord stirred the tea, and handed it to Luna, grasping it with her magic and taking a small sip. As Luna sat the small cup on the table, Discord took a seat on the far side of the room, taking of a sip of his own tea.

"So, tell me, my dear," said Discord. "How are your days in Canterlot, ever since you were saved by Twilight and the others?"

Luna wondered how she should answer, and just decided to tell the truth.

"Hard," replied Luna. "Very hard. Despite me freeing myself of my fears of ever becoming Nightmare Moon ever again, it seems that whenever I feel free, the past seems to return and haunt me. It's like an eternal mass of darkness that never seems to vanish."

"Sounds like the Tantabus," claimed Discord. "Your sister was wise to send you here for the time being, for I once was the being that represented chaos. Therefore, I know all about eclipses, and just how dangerous they are to somepony such as you, Luna."

Luna was intrigued. "Explain," she pleaded.

"If you insist," agreed Discord. "In our world, there are two different kinds of eclipses, both very dangerous. There is solar and lunar eclipses, but you are most familiar with the solar eclipse. A solar eclipse is an occasion that represents a symbol of ill omen, and seeing you represent the moon, it would most likely cause a negative effect on your soul being. Manifesting the darkness that lies within your heart."

"Could that be why I became Nightmare Moon during my first encounter 2000 years ago?!" shrieked Luna.

"That's exactly why," confirmed Discord. "During a solar eclipse, all darkness in a pony's heart is revealed in the form of which that pony sees themselves."

"Wait! Does that mean that the same thing can happen to everypony?! Even my sister?!" she shrieked.

"Only those with no darkness in their hearts can withstand the effects of a solar eclipse," said Discord. "If even the slightest amount of darkness remains, it shall be revealed."

"How can that be?! During my first encounter, I had no darkness in my heart!"

"Are you sure about that?" asked Discord.

Luna thought back to the day of the first solar eclipse, and remembered that only a few hours before the eclipse, she had become jealous of Celestia, due to her accomplishing a spell that she had been working on for months. It was the main reason why she was straining herself so much, before the eclipse struck.

"I had become jealous of my sister, and grew greedy trying to become better than her, so I did have darkness inside of me!" exclaimed Luna. "That means Nightmare Moon came into existence over my desires to accel her in magic!"

At that moment, Luna wished that she could banish herself to the moon for the rest of her life, knowing that selfishness is what created her greatest enemy.

"Now, do you see, Luna?" asked Discord. "You might have forgiven yourself, but no matter what, Nightmare Moon will always exist inside the darkest places of yourself."

"I do understand, but I've grown tired of living in fear of Nightmare Moon!" exclaimed Luna. There must be a way to rid myself of this dreaded nightmare once and for all! THERE MUST!"

"If you wish to rid yourself of all darkness, you must confront and eliminate it from you soul, Luna. Only then, will you truly be free," claimed Discord.

Luna thought of Discord's words, and immediately, sparked an idea of how to rid herself of her darkness once and for all.

"I must thank you, Discord," she compimented. "I know what I need to do, and even though it may cost me my life, at least everypony will be safe from me ever becoming Nightmare Moon again."

"Hold on!" exclaimed Discord. "What are you planning?!"

"Something I should've done a long time ago," replied Luna.

"But, your sister told me to tend for you, and she told you to stay, until the eclipse ends!" he snapped.

"Why bother!" snapped Luna. "To hide from my darkness once more, and await the same events to repeat themselves?! I'm tired of living in fear! I must end it! No matter the cost!"

Discord realized that there was no room for argument, seeing Luna had made up her mind.

"Well then, I see your mind is made up, but are you going to finish your tea?" asked Discord.

Luna grabbed the small cup with her magic, and gulped down the rest of the tea in the cup.

"I appreciate the hospitality, and this might be farewell, if I shall not succeed in my plan," assured Luna.

"Good luck in whatever plan you have, Luna," said Discord. "I hope you succeed, so I can see your wonderous face once more."

Luna smiled, as she rose from the couch, and transported herself back to Canterlot, unaware of whatever the outcome may be. "Farewell, my friend," she said, before departing.


Back In Canterlot

Celestia and Twilight stood in the courtyard outside of the castle, watching the moon slowly make its way over the sun. The Royal Guard was on full guard, watching for anything suspicious, seeing that Canterlot was shy of one princess, making them a little vulnerable to any threats. So far, nothing suspicious had occured, but the Royal Guard wasn't letting their guards' down, because anything can strike at any moment if they were unprepared.

"I've never seen anything so evil," said Twilight.

"That's because it is evil, Twilight," replied Celestia. "It's the reason that Nightmare Moon ever came to be, and why my sister must hide in fear."

"It is?!" exclaimed Twilight.

"Yes, and I'll never forget that day as long as I live, nor the look on my sister's face as Nightmare Moon. It's a petrifying sight that will be forever burned in my mind," concluded Celestia.

Twilight felt bad for Celestia, and only stood in fear, as the eclipse took full formation, noticing Celestia starting to make groaning sounds.

"Princess Celestia, are you alright?" asked Twilight.

"This is a normal effect," replied Celestia. "It happened the last time a solar eclipse struck Equestria, two-thousand years ago."

"Just be glad that this time, you won't have to see Luna corrupted," conforted Twilight.

Just after Twilight spoke, Luna appeared in the sky, standing before the ill omen.

"Sister!? What are you doing?!" exclaimed Celestia.

Luna couldn't answer as she started struggling, manifesting into Nightmare Moon. Before she could take full form, she shouted something from afar. "NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS, DON'T FOLLOW ME!" yelled Luna, as she transported herself away from Canterlot.

Celestia stared at the sky, fearing for her sister.

"Why did she come back?!" yelled Celestia, shedding tears.

Twilight didn't speak, noticing that something strange was happening to the moon. Part of the moon's surface showed a familiar impression from the past; the Mare In the Moon.