• Published 13th Oct 2015
  • 346 Views, 8 Comments

My Little Pony: the Harmony of Friendship - Godzilla313



Lost souls, ancient history, those coming to their rightful places, with a song in their hearts, quelling evil, and putting music to the harmony of friendship.

  • ...
2
 8
 346

Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Once they were inside, Principal Celestia brought the girls into her office, where the newcomers and Vice Principal Luna awaited them. The pair was an interesting sight. They had the hair color pony Twilight told them they would have, and their choice of dress was interesting as well. Quill was wearing jeans and a denim jacket, rainbow colored tie-dye shirt, with a few strings of peace beads and a peace sign medallion, with high top sneakers. His hair was collar length and unkempt, as if a comb never had the chance to grace his path. He also wasn't all that big a kid; he looked like he weighed no more than 140 pounds soaking wet. Downy, however, had well-kept hair, that hung down straight to the middle of her back, tied into a pony tail, save for the locks of hair that were left to hang in the front to frame her pretty face. She, though, was a bit of a waif, looking no more than 120 pounds herself. Around her head was a headband decorated with artificial daises, which seemed to accent things well. She was wearing a navy blue floral print dress with a high frilly collar, cinched at her waist with a black thin leather belt, with the skirt to her ankles and trimmed like her collar. Her sleeves belled out gracefully at the elbows, and were also trimmed the same. However, the ensemble was broken up by the fact that she was wearing blue Chuck Taylor high top sneakers. Along with their book bags, (both of which looked like they had seen better days,) they each had a guitar case. They both looked like they were preparing to follow the Grateful Dead on tour than for class. However, it was their countenances that were interesting the more. They both looked like they were a bit sad, Quill looking at the ground as if he had no right to look at them or anyone, but Downy grinned just a bit, but still with sad eyes, flashing the peace sign in the way someone from the 60s would have done it. They were a pair.

Applejack, ever the one not to judge a book by its cover, smiled and said, "Howdy, y'all! Glad to see ya joinin' the rest of us Wondercolts."

Rarity, however, found their ensembles interesting, and she said, "Ooh, how retro! Indeed, it seems basic but timeless," and her mind began to run about how to spruce them up, but not killing the style they seemed to like. Fluttershy just waved with a smile that seemed to match Downy's but without the sad eyes, and kind of stayed half hidden. Yet, Rainbow Dash was taken back a bit at first, thinking, "Really? Who dresses like that anymore!" but then pondered the guitars and figured that they, or even maybe at least Quill, could jam a good Hendrix by the look of him, so started to warm to them a bit more. However, Pinkie Pie, ever the one to throw caution to the wind, jumped up between them, one arm around each shoulder, squealing out, "Oh, it's so cool to meet you two! It's great to have you here, but you need to smile more. It's more fun that way! I deal in smiles, and we have to turn up the angles of those mouths."

They both had a shocked look on their faces, though only briefly, but did start to grin a bit and laugh a touch, seeing how open Pinkie was, and seemingly not judgmental. Sunset smiled and laughed a bit, happy they had Pinkie to aid in this. It seemed to Sunset that these two had a thick shell in which they lived, but if there was anyone that could get them out of it, it was one Pinkamina Diane Pie. Pinkie saw the smiles and said, "Aww… I knew you had smiles in you! Downy broke the ice further by gently saying, "Oh, such a happy and free spirit! I dig it so much!"

Quill did seem laid back, while Downy reminded them of how Fluttershy might be if she were not so, well, shy. "Well, of course my spirit is free!" said a surprised Pinkie, "Besides, I didn't know you could put a price on a spirit anyway!"

That did it. The pair started to laugh with everyone else, and Celestia smiled and let go a sigh of relief. She knew she had picked the right group to help with this. However, the only one that seemed to be saying nothing was the Twilight of this world. She was looking at them and analyzing things. She was hoping the information she had gotten and the conclusions she had drawn were right. Pinkie then said, "Hey, It'll be Friday in a couple of days! We can have a party to welcome the newcomers, even a sleepover!"

"Not a bad idea," added Applejack, "We can use my place. The barn'll be free, and we can set up in there, and be as loud as we want!"

The pair was surprised, and Quill then said, "You mean, you really WANT us at a party?"

You could have heard a pin drop at that point. Rainbow Dash then said, "Well, why would we not? I mean, I know we just met, but you haven't given us any reasons not to, so why not?"

Before they could answer, Celestia said, "Oh, look at the time! We should get this tour started. Um, Quill, Downy, could you wait outside for a moment?"

They both nodded, grabbed their things, and went outside. Luna then said, "Girls, we need to explain what's happening here. Please, have a seat for a moment."

Once they sat down, Luna continued and said, "I am not sure you are aware of this, but the two of them are in the foster care system."

"So?" answered Rainbow Dash, sounding a bit confused as to why any of that would matter.

"Well, you have to understand about them," added Celestia, "They've been in and out of people's homes, and not every home was good to them. There was one, but even that did not last, sadly. They've had it hard."

"Hey, losin' parents is hard," said Applejack, "Trust me, I know."

"Well, I would understand your hurt," answered Luna, "But at least you had a chance to know your parents. They never knew theirs. They were left on the doorstep of the orphanage."

That statement was followed by the sound of air going through teeth and an "Ooh" sound. Fluttershy worked up the courage to interject and said, "Have they been abused at all? That would be so sad…"

"Well, not really," said Celestia, wondering how to word it, "I mean, they haven't been beaten, if that's what you mean. But, some of the homes they've been in really didn't seem to put much care or attention towards them, while others would have kept them in a loving home if they had had the ability to do so."

Sunset remembered their page on the social networking site, and remembered the pictures where it seemed they were the happiest, and it now made sense where they got their look and attitude. Luna then said, "However, middle school and high school have not been easy for them. You see, first of all, they've had to transfer from school to school, so it makes it hard for them to make lasting friends. Secondly, some, but not all of the schools, don't look upon foster kids too highly. Because of a few bad kids in the system, they give a bad reputation to foster kids as if they are all troublemakers."

That caught Dash's attention. She piped up and said, "Hey, that's not fair! They didn't ask to be in this situation!"

Celestia sighed and answered, "I know, but it is what it is, and it is not fair…you're right. Yet, some kids take advantage of this and start problems with them. If the foster kid retaliates, then no matter who instigated, then right or wrong, the foster kid seems to always get the blame, depending on the school and the point of view of the principal. By the way they hold themselves, it seems they have gone through that."

"Man, that sucks!" spat Dash, and Fluttershy then said, "But, they seem so nice. Why are people so mean?"

Luna cut in and said, "This is why we asked your help. It's not really as much that they find it hard to make friends, it's more they are afraid to get close to anyone. They are either afraid to lose them by being transferred, or being used by others who would take advantage of them."

Twilight then added, "But, since I've been here, I haven't seen that with Canterlot High."

"Exactly," said Celestia, "And we give everyone a fair shake, regardless. Yet, that does not mean that it might not happen."

Applejack thought about it and then said, "So, what y'all are sayin' is that ya want us t'look after them and make sure no one tries to get stupid with them?"

"Exactly," answered Luna, "And at least be of those to whom they can come if they need help. They need someone they can trust."

"You may absolutely count on us!" said Rarity, "We shall remain ever vigil."

"Yeah, and we can watch out for them, too!" added Pinkie.

That caught a laugh from everyone there, but Pinkie shrugged her shoulders, not certain what the joke was. Celestia said, "I have had the teachers set aside the classwork you'll be missing today to aid our newcomers, so, don't worry about missing class. Stay close to them and have fun."

They all nodded and headed out to meet their charges.

When they came out, they were both sitting in chairs and tuning their guitars. When they saw the girls, they put them away and stood up. Sunset handed them to small slips of paper and said, "These are your lockers and the combinations to them. Let's start there and then we'll show you around."

They nodded and followed them. Once they stowed their gear, they still had their guitars, (seeing that they could not fit them into their lockers,) and followed. They got the grand tour, seeing everything there was to see, and each girl took over when there was something that involved their personal interests. They also used that time to show them where some of the clubs met, and what was available to join. However, what seemed odd was that neither of them were speaking or asking questions. They were not sure why, but they figured that it might not be until lunch when they could get into some casual conversation and get them to open up some more. With the trust issue being what it was, they knew they were dealing with damaged goods, and they had to treat them with kid gloves. Yet, what was running around in both Sunset's and Twilight's brains were how to be sure this was the pair, and if so, how did you tell them what the deal was. How could you tell them what they really were, how to convince them of the truth, and then get them to not only leave all this behind, but to adjust to new bodies and ways of doing things? All Sunset could conclude at that point was, "Princess Celestia, you really gave me a hard challenge!"

However, why the challenge? Why did she even care? She had been banished from Canterlot Castle, and she wondered if she would ever be welcome back in Equestria. However, she remembers the message Celestia of that world sent her, and wondered, "Has she forgiven me? Has she…" but she shook her head and realized that could never happen. She did too much damage. There was no way back. Besides, she had been here too long, and she wondered if she could handle it over there again. Nonetheless, she did figure this: if she could help with this, maybe she could at least get that Celestia to see her in a better light, and maybe, at the very least, be allowed back into the castle, even though she would never get to be her student again.

At lunch, they stopped off and grabbed their sack lunches the center made for them. It was nothing elaborate: basic ham sandwiches, generic potato chips, juice boxes, and not much else. Rarity saw what they had and said, "Oh, how can you keep up your energy like that? Here…"

She went up and bought an apple for each of them and said, "Here's some natural energy for you."

They were surprised and reluctant to take them, as Downy said, "Please, that was your money."

"Oh don't be silly," insisted Rarity, "In fact, if you ever need more for your lunches, never hesitate to ask. I shall see what I can do for you."

Fluttershy saw that and said, "Oh, never think that you are not worth someone's help. No one is ever worthless."

Both of them blushed hard, genuinely moved that anyone was showing that kind of care for them. However, it was kind of sappy for Rainbow Dash, and she piped up, "So, with those guitars, I bet you could rock out. I already play lead in our band…"

Quill brightened and said, "You have a band?"

"Sure," said Dash, "We call ourselves the Rainbooms. I play lead licks, but we could always use a couple of rhythm instruments. We can really rock out!"

Quill pondered it and then said, "Well, my sister and I are really keen in studying music. We've studied the masters, and I really dig Bach, but I can't say we really 'rock out'. I mean, our tastes are more into folk music and harmony groups of the 50s and 60s: the Everley Brothers; Peter, Paul, and Mary; Pete Seeger; Simon and Garfunkel; the Mamas and Papas; Beach Boys; Crosby, Stills, and Nash… that kind of thing."

"Um…oh…" said Rainbow Dash, now knowing their musical tastes were colliding. However, Pinkie said, "Oh, that's sounds so cool! Could you play us some?"

They looked around and then Downy said, "Are you sure? I mean, wouldn't it be disturbing other people's lunches?"

"Nah…" said Pinkie, confidently, but Sunset cut in and said, "Well, maybe we can go outside for the last half hour of lunch and let you play."

Where there was two semi-depressed teens before now turned into excited people, almost as if they had transformed right in front of them. It was then that Twilight whispered to Sunset, "Wait… Remember what happens when you all get to playing and singing?"

Sunset pondered, and then said, "You mean, if they have that Equestrian magic, they might do the same?"

"It's worth a try," she answered back, "If it happens, we KNOW we have our two!"

Outside, they pulled their guitars, checked to see that they were still in tune, and then muttered between themselves, figuring out what to sing. Then Quill said, "Okay, we'll do that one."

With that, they ripped into the Everley Brothers song "Walk Right Back." As they played, they became rather joyful, and started to play and sing with relish. What was interesting about them was the fact that they were in perfect sync and harmony with one another, seeming to know what the other was thinking, able to anticipate what the other was about to do and play. They seemed as one entity. The girls were moving to the music, and when they were done, applauded wildly, as did the small crowd that seemed to gather around them. When they first came outside, they had mixed reactions from all those around, but now everyone seemed to be warming to them. Dash, though, didn't applaud, but did say, "Well… It was good… You know, for what it was…" trying to keep up her cool girl image, but inside having to admit that they were REALLY good! Even with their style, they were better at singing and playing than anyone in school, including the group. She would have to figure out how to incorporate their sound into the band. Besides, if they were the studies she guessed them to be in music, they just might improve their sound. People called for more, and they then cut into Dylan's "The Times They Are a 'Changing." This, they sang with some conviction, and finished the session with "The Sounds of Silence." The students were floored, and very enraptured with what they were singing, as if they were casting a spell over them. However, what Sunset and Twilight were hoping to happen did not manifest itself. Twilight whispered and said, "Nothing happened."

"Maybe things weren't right yet," answered Sunset, "We'll give it more time."

After putting the guitars away, Rainbow said, "Hey, I know you're style's different, but maybe we could include your style and make a new sound."

Downy smiled and said, "Groovy!" which took Dash back a bit, seeing their lingo was indeed an anachronism. Dash then asked, "So, what can you all play?"

"Well, I play guitar, banjo, and acoustic bass," answered Quill, and Downy said, "Guitar, autoharp, dulcimer, and keys."

"Autoharp and dulcimer," answered Applejack, "Well, I ain't heard anyone play those good fer a long time! Be nice to hear 'em."

The pair now looked like their hearts were racing, as if treatment like this was not all this common, and they were being overwhelmed. Sunset then said, "We can talk about this more later. For now, we can go to the library and get to work on those assignments we were given. We'll be practicing later on, so we can iron all that out."

Twilight then whispered, "Good you did that. It looks like they were about to go into sensory overload."

Sunset rolled her eyes and realized Twilight was right. She had heard of killing with kindness, but she was not sure that this was what was meant by that.

Later that day, they were in the music room, ready to practice, and Twilight then said, "So, you say you've studied the masters. How much into music are you two?"

"Very," said Quill.

"We've had a skill for music ever since we can remember," added Downy. Quill took over and said, "Yeah, we just love music, and we hope to use it to help underprivileged kids get somewhere in life."

"We just wish to spread the message of peace and love," added Downy on top of that.

"Peace and love?" responded Fluttershy, "Oh, that's so good!"

"Yeah," added Quill, "We abhor war and violence of any kind. We'd rather not fight."

Dash was going to share her hopes of joining the Air Force one day and joining the Thunderbirds stunt team, but hearing that may not sit well with them, seeing that they both turned out to be peaceniks. Downy then said, "Somehow, we've always found music to be a peacemaker. It always seemed to calm a hostile situation at the home."

That caught Twilight's and Sunset's attention. Step by step, they began think they did have the right ones. Quill then said, "It's hard to admit this, but, well… We've had few friends, and things ain't always been good. So, when things weren't always that good, Sissy and I spent a lot of time playing and singing."

"Well, that explains your skill," answered Twilight.

"Well, we're very close," said Downy, and Applejack indeed could see that, thinking it cute that Quill referred to Downy as "Sissy." Quill then said, "We practiced all kinds of harmony, and we had a pair of foster parents who taught us our instruments and taught us songs and harmonies. We just kept practicing it and studying music after that. We even went as far as getting forehead to forehead, nose to nose, just so we can watch each other's mouths and time our singing, how we shape words, that kind of thing."

Now everyone was impressed, and Dash had to ask. "So, is there any rockin' numbers you know?"

Quill shrugged as he put his guitar around him, saying, "The closest thing we would have are some Beach Boys numbers we know."

"Well, we can try that," answered Dash as everyone took their places. She then said, "Odd way you wear those guitars."

The pair had them slung about chest high while Dash had them low in the common style of modern-day rock bands. Downy then said, "It's more ergonomic. The way you are holding it you risk carpel tunnel syndrome."

"Told you," said Twilight, looking at a now groaning Rainbow Dash, as if the two had talked at length about this. Applejack then said, "So, whatcha all have in mind."

Quill then said, "Do You Wanna Dance."

"Not really," answered Pinkie, "We just want to play."

"I think he refers to the title of a song, darling," interrupted Rarity, "Yet, I am not familiar with it."

"Well, first, I need you on piano, not keytar for this," added Quill, now acting like he was in charge, showing he was in his element now, "And for the rest of us, key of A, 4/4 time, standard blues progression, improvise on the harmonies best you can, and…" looking back at Pinkie and Dash, "Try to keep up."

They both got a look on their faces as if someone said something surprising to them, wondering if they were just insulted or not, but Quill didn't give them time to think as he shouted, "…2,3,4…Do you wanna dance…" and ripped right into the song. They stumbled for about half a bar but caught up quickly. They really started to kick it…

…and then it happened.

As they were playing, it was not only that they were catching on real fast, it was almost as if the song was playing itself, as if the playing of the pair were lifting them in the way a good wind will help and eagle soar effortlessly over the sky. Where they had a bit of trouble learning to sing harmonies in the past, they found it easy, and now the sounds of the music was pounding down the hall, catching the attention of the other students in their clubs, and drawing them in. Before long, they had a small crowd who were now applauding as the number ended. Downy then said, "Bye, Bye Love?"

Quill smiled and nodded, saying, "Okay, again, key of A, rockabilly, 4/4, but a bit bouncy."

He played the opening intro chords, and the two jumped in, singing with relish, Downy on the upper harmony. As they played, everyone started to pony out…including Quill and Downy! Her hair got a bit longer and she got the ears, and Quill seemed to get the colonial look kind of pony tail and ears as well. However, even though this was a common sight for anyone going to Canterlot, it was not for Quill and Downy, but they were so into their playing that they did not notice what was going on. The room also seemed to be filling with moving colors that seemed to be accenting the music. This settled it for Twilight and Sunset; they had their pair! The only question now was, how do you tell them?

After the session, the twins had to get back to the home and asked the girls to come as well so that the home could meet them and get contact information for the party. As they walked, however, Twilight and Sunset hung back a bit and talked, Sunset asking, "Why did it not happen until this afternoon?"

"Well, you said it yourself," answered Twilight, "when you explained how magic works in this world. Maybe it took the right catalyst. Like…"

"…the magic of friendship?" Sunset finished with a smirk and glance at Twilight, "Maybe that's it."

Adding to it, Twilight, then said, "And maybe because they haven't had as much till now that it never manifested itself."

"We'll have to bounce that off your pony counterpart," answered Sunset to that, "And I'll give her a timetable to come over."

"Won't that pose a problem?" asked Twilight.

"Actually, that might be the thing to convince them," responded Sunset, "Nothing better than to have solid proof."

"Let's work out a proper plan," said Twilight, "How about we aim for the party?"

"Sounds like a plan," answered Sunset, who then pulled out the book and started to write, "Dear Twilight. We have found them! I need you to come over in a couple of days. We're going to have to break it to them easy, because there is the believability factor involved, and your presence with the Twilight over here may be just what they need to get them convinced. Write back soon, your friend, Sunset Shimmer."

She closed the book and began to try to anticipate all that could go wrong. For some reason, she anticipated Murphy 's Law rearing its ugly head, and the last thing they needed is for the twins to freak out and avoid them altogether.