• Published 13th Oct 2015
  • 347 Views, 8 Comments

My Little Pony: the Harmony of Friendship - Godzilla313



Lost souls, ancient history, those coming to their rightful places, with a song in their hearts, quelling evil, and putting music to the harmony of friendship.

  • ...
2
 8
 347

Chapter 11

Author's Note:

I decided to give writing a song a shot. Since the show has songs, I figured I'd give it a try. Okay, so it's only lyrics. But I leave it to you, dear reader, to decide how the tune should go.

Chapter 11

The twins took themselves a good nap after their little "incident", and after a couple of hours, they awoke, and now were quite hungry. Spike, who had been told to watch them, was right there, saying, "Well, I hope you two slept well. If you didn't catch it before. Anything you two need, I'll get it for you!"
He smiled broadly, and his chipper demeanor helped put them at ease. Quill then said, "Wow, I never thought we could sleep in a regular bed...considering..."
Spike looked confused and said, "Why not? I mean, a bed is a bed."
He then pondered it, and then he said, "Oh, that's righht. Yeah, I've been to that world before myself with Twilight, and I get it; trust me. Sure, there are some different things here, but you'll be surprised just how much is the same. So, anything you two want?"
"Food," they both said, "We're hungry!"
Not sure why, the thought about it, and remembered that, whatever they ate earlyer ended up on the floor a couple hours earler. They cleaned it up, but Fluttershy was certain they'd have to call out a hazmat team to take care of it. He then said, "Never fear: I'll let Twilight know and we'll get something going for you. In the meantime, I'd say you two can look around, but this palce is big, and still fairly new to Twilight, I'm afraid you'd get lost. Wait, I know."
He beconed for them to follow him, and he took them into the new library that Twilight set up with the donations from others, plus whatever she was able to scavange from the runis of the old Castle of the Two Sisters. He said, “If you want, you can look at some of the books here. In fact, let me recommend something.”
He rushed to the reference section of the library and came back with a thick book entitled Don’t Know Much of Equestrian History. It was done in a way that told a candid history of Equestria that neither praised nor put down Equestria, but gave a nice perspective. “In that, you’ll get an idea of history, famous stallions and mares, inventions, and other things that will help you get used to how things happen here. You’ll find much of the tech you’re used to back home, but other things you won’t see because magic here does some of what you’re tech does.”
“Wow, you know a lot,” complimented Downy.
Spike lightly blushed and said, “Aw, it’s nothing. You hang out with Twilight enough, and you’re bound to learn something. I’ll let them know you’re in here and get something for you to eat.”
They nodded and started to look at the book. They managed to flip it open well enough, but had a bit of trouble with the pages, not having fingers to turn them. They eventually figured it out, but as they read, they were amazed at how this world was.

In their minds, it was an odd mix of modern technology and medieval fantasy. In some cases, one could call them primitive, but in many others, they saw much of what they would be familiar with if they were back where they had just come from. They noticed a lack of things like cars, trucks, busses, airplanes or any kind of automotive transport except for trains. They found that odd, and they made a mental note to ask about that later. One thing that indeed caught their attention, and that was just how much magic played a role in this world. Whereas it was quite random and out of control of anyone where they had been before, it was extremely commonplace, even to where the ruling monarchs actually governed the turning of the Earth, provided the solar system here operated the same as where they had been. Considering what they had experienced so far, they were not even sure of that. They were amused that many of the towns and cities bore similar names to things they would know: Manehattan, Bronclyn, Fillydelphia, Trottingham, Los Pegasus, Baltimare, Vanhoover, and movie capitol Applewood, just to name a few. They played many sports, slightly modified, but not really unfamiliar. They had baseball, Hoofball in all its forms, (Soccer, Rugby, Gaelic,) Ice Hockey, track and field, (which looked more like what they would recognize as thoroughbred horse racing and other equestrian sports done like a track meet,) and other sports. It all felt familiar, but yet different. They knew that they would have get out and see as much of this as they could if they were ever to fit in.

The six, the sisters, Sunset, and Moon Dancer, in the meantime, were in the map room. Twilight was showing Sunset around, and came to the Cutie Map, saying, “…and this came up. Wherever there is a friendship need anywhere in Equestria, the cutie marks of those who could best help with it glow, and copies of our marks float over the map where the issue is.”
“This is so amazing,” said Sunset, “You’re the princess of friendship, and you get to act on it.”
She smiled and nodded, but then looked a touch ashen and forlorn. “Goodness, Sugar Cube,” commented Applejack, “If yer face had fallen any harder, the castle woulda shook!”
She didn’t expect that reaction and snapped her head around to AJ in surprise, not angry, but disappointed in herself that she had let it show. Twilight asked what was wrong, and Sunset said, “No offense, but this is a bit hard to take.”
“What do you mean,” said Twilight, not sure where this was going.
“I mean…” answered Sunset, but hesitated, wanting to shape her words right as she looked over at Princess Celestia, “Well, I think you know I was once Princess Celestia’s apprentice as you were, right?”
“Of course,” responded Twilight, “So, what’s wrong?”
Sunset looked back over to Twilight, and she said, “Well, if I had not gone loopy in the head, all this would have been mine. Sure, you might have also had something, because, let’s face it; by what you told me, there would be no way Celestia would let you pass by. But, well… How do I say this?”
She paced a touch, and then said, “I stand in this, and now a really realize what I threw away. Yes, Princess Celestia, I know what I said. I know I threw everything away, and I can’t get that back. Therefore, when we have the twins established, I think I know what I have to do. I must go back.”
The mane six put up a protest that she not go, considering that all had been forgiven per se, and she had another chance. Celestia and Luna, however, said nothing. They knew this was a learning experience for everyone, and they let things flow. Sunset then said, “No, I can’t. I mean, I could live here, or have my own place, but, I would always be friends with everyone here, and that would call for me to keep coming back here. This would mean having this reminder constantly hanging over my head like—to quote a human phrase—the Sword of Damocles. I have forgiven myself, and I have let it go, but if I am going to grow, I can’t have this reminder hanging over me. When I went over there, it was, at first, to lay low and plot my revenge. Thanks to you, Twilight, I got a new lease on life. Yet, now that I am back, I realize that, no matter how much is forgiven, it can never be the same again. I would never truly have any peace.”
However, after a moment’s silence, she smiled and said, “Besides, over there, all your doubles are still trying to get a handle on the Equestrian magic that likes to flow in them because of your connections to them, and because of how Twilight here provoked that when she came over and brought it with her. They need someone that can help them understand how certain things work. Plus, the Twilight over there is still an awkward and shy girl, as you had said you once were. Like you, she’s spent much of her life in her own bubble, not associating with others, and she needs someone there to help her learn friendship, along with the others. There’s a future for me there, and if that’s a chance to gain something like what I lost, I can’t afford to throw it away again.”
Celestia smiled and said, “Second chances don’t come often. If this is what you wish, I hope all the best for you when the time comes for you to return. Just do remember that, if you feel your job is done there, and you want to come back, you have a home here.”
Sunset smiled, and they were all about to get into a big moment of emotion, but Spike came in and shook all that up, saying, “The twins are awake now, and they’re hungry.”
That caught them by surprise because of the suddenness of Spike’s entrance, and they all giggled a bit, and Sunset said, “If I may, I think I can make some dining suggestions for them.”
With that, they went to the kitchen.

After about an hour, the crew entered, and Twilight was levitating what would be their meals. They had two decent sized bowls, along with glasses of milk, both with straws, knowing they did not yet know how to use their hoofs to pick up things. Their noses flared as they smelled what was coming, and Quill said, “Wow, my nose can smell so well now, and I can hear better than before.”
“That’s because of your present form,” answered Sunset, “Consider the senses of equines in the other world. You are just as much this here as any equine would be over there. This means you’re stronger, faster, and have better senses than before. There are other ways you are better than that, but you’ll learn that in time.”
Downy looked in, not sure what they were about to get, but she smiled when she saw they had made a nice pasta salad with onions, carrots, bell peppers, and what they would recognize as a nice creamy Italian dressing, and plenty of large sliced mushrooms. Along with that was a bowl with grapes and melon slices. They looked ready to dive in, but then began to look around for utensils, and seeing none, looked at the others as if to say, “So, now what?”
“Dig in,” said Rainbow Dash, “We’ve eaten, so you don’t have to wait on us.”
“Um…” said Quill, “We have no forks.”
They looked at each other, and Luna said, “Once you learn how to levitate things, you can use such, but most ponies just dive in.”
They looked askance at this, and Sunset sighed and said, “Think about the world you just came from and how equines eat there…”
She left the statement dangling, knowing they would figure it out. Celestia then said, “Think of this as a learning experience. In fact, from here on out, everything you do you’ll somewhat have to figure out on your own if you are to adjust.”
They looked a bit wide-eyed at this, hoping for more help, but Applejack then said, “Burned hoof learns best. Y’all ain’t gonna get into this if y’all don’t do it fer yerselves.”
If the reality of the situation had not yet set in, it certainly did now! They were not in Kansas anymore; that was for certain. With that, they stuck their heads into the bowl and started to eat, making a touch of a mess in the process. “Oh dear,” said Rarity, “Slow down. You have to pace yourselves so you don’t make a mess.”
They came up, sighed and nodded, and took their time. Downy then mentioned, “This is actually very good. The flavor of the mushrooms help.”
“They’re Portobello,” said Sunset, “I figured the flavor would help you get used to not eating, me**…what you used to eat back there.”
She censored herself, not certain how Fluttershy would react to the omnivorous ways humans ate in the other world. If she knew they ate meat, and even creatures she cared deeply for, she might just pass out! Meanwhile, the twins went to eat from the fruit, but realized their muzzles were covered in dressing, and they didn’t want to mix it all together. It was then they looked at the napkins, went to pick them up, and found they could not. They tried, but slid them off the table to the floor. Spike went to dutifully pick them up for the twins, but Twilight stuck out a wing and whispered, “No, Spike. They have to do it themselves. Inundation is the best teacher they could have right now.”
The twins bent over, managed to get them between their fore hoofs, and it also became clear in a new way how close the twins were. Quill tipped his fore hoofs in such a fashion as the napkin spread on his right hoof, and Downy almost simultaneously picked up on what Quill was doing and copied him. However, as they were both coming up, they bonked the table with their horns and promptly fell on their bellies. All magic users quickly steadied the table and what was on it so it didn’t go everywhere, and the twins moaned in a bit of pain as they tried to shake it off and reacquire their napkins. They came up, more careful this time, and Moon Dancer said, “It’s a good thing you have those seals on your horns. For a unicorn, that is one of the most sensitive parts of the body. It could have hurt a lot more.”
They sighed, nodded, and managed to wipe their faces and continue to dine, but had it so they always could use their napkins when they needed, now starting to look a bit haggard by the whole ordeal. Quill then said, “I feel like a toddler, yet with a full-grown mind!”
“Hey, that’s a neat way to look at it,” chirped Pinkie Pie, “It’s like you’ve been reborn, but reborn fully grown up!”
“Oh, then you might not feel so bad when things might not be going right,” Fluttershy quietly offered, “But, that’s okay. We’ll give you all the support you need!”
Downy nodded, but said, sadly, “It’s the starting over again thing. Here we go again.”
“Well, I know you’ve had to do that more than most,” volunteered Sunset, to which Twilight added, “But, really, life is full of starting over.”
“Life’s full of do-overs,” added AJ, to which Rainbow Dash added, “Yeah, you have to walk before you can run, and run before you can fly!”

A foal becomes a filly or colt, and then to a stallion or mare;
One goes to school, gains their mark, but it does not stop right there.
One learns a trade, learns who one is, and about one’s destiny;
But enjoying the trip one day at a time can help your soul feel free!

As one act ends, a new act begins: it does not end the play of life;
Each one has to play a part, whether there be good or strife.
As the sun sets, and the moon comes up, it’s not over, and all’s okay;
Because the sun will come up, and we get a fresh new start in the light of a brand new day.

“You see,” said Pinkie Pie, “Starting over can be a lot of fun, because each time you finish one part of growing, you can celebrate what you gained, and celebrate the start of a new adventure! Starting over doesn’t always have to be bad, but it can give you a whole new way to see the world!”
The twins were nodding, looking at how things were going, and Quill said, “I never ever thought of it that way.”
“And think of it, Quill,” This is the best way we’ve ever started over, because now it’s on our terms, and not someone…somepony else’s!”
At this, the Twins said:

Life doesn’t have to be a struggle, but an adventure day by day;
We can learn to live a whole new life, and put colors to the gray.
We don’t have to be tossed about with every wind or wave;
We can decide how each act ends if we just stand tall and brave.

As one act ends, a new act begins: it does not end the play of life;
Each one has to play a part, whether there be good or strife.
As the sun sets, and the moon comes up, it’s not over, and all’s okay;
Because the sun will come up, and we get a fresh new start in the light of a brand new day.

We’ll stand strong, we’ll pull through, and we will learn to soar;
We now can be what we truly are, right now and evermore.
To a life of sorrow our souls have died, a new life to us extends;
Newborn lives we face the world, but now side by side with friends!

As one act ends, a new act begins: it does not end the play of life;
Each one has to play a part, whether there be good or strife.
As the sun sets, and the moon comes up, it’s not over, and all’s okay;
Because the sun will come up, and we get a fresh new start in the light of a brand new day!

As the day passed, they were getting better and better at coping with their new environment, but now charged and ready to face each challenge because of the friends they now had. AJ’s plain honesty didn’t sugar coat mistakes, but doing so made them able to learn faster, because the honest critique of how they did things helped them see mistakes faster and learn better. Rarity was generous in suggestions on how to best attack each new challenge. For anypony else, this would be just functioning as normal, but for the twins, it was all new. Yet, Fluttershy’s kindness soothed like a salve when it seemed they were about to let frustration do them in. Rainbow Dash was always right there with a word of encouragement to push them on, while Pinkie Pie was always able to find the humor in some blunder or another, helping them to laugh through mistakes and frustrations that might make others give it up for the moment. Never before had they ever had so many be so supportive of them, and more and more they both felt like they had a true home, and that the world from which they just left was becoming more and more of a distant memory. Sure, the future was still an unknown, but at least now, they could face the future on their own terms.