• Published 13th Oct 2015
  • 347 Views, 8 Comments

My Little Pony: the Harmony of Friendship - Godzilla313



Lost souls, ancient history, those coming to their rightful places, with a song in their hearts, quelling evil, and putting music to the harmony of friendship.

  • ...
2
 8
 347

Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Within a couple more weeks, the new album was completed, and it quickly jumped up the charts thanks to the fuel of the singles, and the producers could not have been happier. The twins had assured that a certain percentage of what they were making was set aside to fill a trust fund for orphanages and foster care homes considering what they had gone through in their own youth. They were already doing pretty good because of the trust their parents had set aside, but now they would not have any worries as long as they kept being sold. Because of that, they felt they had not any excuse for not doing something like this, and wanted to give back and maybe save some orphans of the heartache they had faced as youths. However, they were now experiencing that fish bowl they had been warned about. It was hard just getting to the studio, or even just to the market. The Apples were also becoming a bit aggravated at the amount of ponies who were coming to Apple Acres and try to spy in on the new local celebrities, (mainly Granny Smith, who didn’t like all these “invaders” on her property. The twins apologized profusely, and assured them that they had had no intent for this to happen. With that, they forwarded them the money they would need to heighten the fences and add the barbed wire they would need to keep ponies out of the orchard, including a gate on the front. It was sad that it had come to this, but unless they got their own property and built their own house, this would be the way it had to be. In fact, they made the offer, and though Granny Smith thought it a good idea, Applejack would not hear of it. “I know it’s a might bit of an annoyance, but if y’all think it’s bad here, jus’ think how bad it’d be if y’all were in the village, er jus’ livin’ on yer own property. At least here, yer house is set deep in th’orchard, an with the fence we got set up, they ain’t gonna be botherin’ y’all. You jus’ relax now and know we got it all under control.”
Thought they still didn’t feel right about it, Applejack always seemed to have a way with words and common sense, and they agreed to stay. This, however, did not stop fans from lining the fence, hoping to get a glimpse of the new stars. It was so much that they had to leave through a little known back entrance if they wanted to do anything. Yet, the next shoe was going for their career, and that was for the better.

The Ponypalooza was such a hit and raised so much money that Pinkie Pie was asked to come to Canterlot to organize a special three day pop festival in a nearby fairground to raise money for several charities. Pinkie had no hesitation to ask the twins if they wanted to perform. They thought it was a good idea, but when they mentioned it to their producer, the truth of their situation hit them square between their eyes. Now that they were a money-making commodity, they could not just do public appearances like that willie-nilly. They had to get contracts cut, with deals set for certain percentages for the take, use of their name, and other such things. They told Pinkie that they would have to wait before they could say for sure. Yet, despite them thinking she’d be upset at this, she was all her normal bouncy self and said for their barracuda to get in touch with her alligator. “You have a lawyer?’ asked Quill.
“Why said anything about a lawyer,” said Pinkie, “I meant alligator. Gummy is my personal assistant. I run everything by him. Well, keep in touch.”
With that, she bounced off, leaving the twins just shaking their heads, wondering if they would ever figure Pinkie out, or if they should even try.

Billy Foal, along with many other acts, were invited to the show, and when he caught wind of the twins desire to be a part, he got their agent, (who was theirs as well,) to agree to the show, insuring that their charity was one of those represented. Their agent then contacted them and went on and on about how this was going to launch them higher than they ever thought they could go, and that if this went well, their legend would be made solid forever. Yet, all they really cared about was hoping they could use this to find more Bardics. They even wondered if there was a chance for them to meet some Bardics among the bands playing. With that, they went on to prepare a set for the show. Along with that, they prepared some special tricks and did some extra study in their art to make sure they could do things easier than they had been doing them, all in an effort to demonstrate Bardic magic and what their goals were. They were becoming more and more excited as the days passed.

The press was humming about the event and all the acts that would show there. Many charities were asked to show, but one flatly said no. It was a social action group that knew itself as the Tri-Pony Party. It’s emblem was a black field upon which a white square was set, with three red silhouettes of pony heads, one being a unicorn, one being a pegasus as it had a pair of wings behind it, and one was an earth pony, all set neck to neck, forming a triangle gap in the middle. It was headquartered in Fillydelphia, and ran by a unicorn named Nero. He was out to set up a better life for downtrodden ponies, and hoped to clean up the scene in those areas of the city. One of the things he had been preaching was the purifying of the mind to be clear to think as it should, so that ponies could be pure in thought and deed, upholding the best racial traits of each subspecies of ponies in an ever greatening of ponies all over the world. He preached against this kind of frivolity, and spoke against what he called riff-raff that would come to things like this. It was worse when it was happening right under the muzzles of the princesses themselves, and he would have thought they would have had better sense than to indulge in such things. Yet, he also spoke against the twins in specifics. He said he had come to learn that they were a reawakening of an old kind of unicorn magic known as Bardic magic. He knew of some stories, and also knew of certain things that the legends spoke of them: mind control, subduing of free thought, snubbing all other ponies for their own ways, and even going as far as interbreeding only with themselves. Nero then said that this may not be the case with this pair, but he also warned that they should be watched closely. Since they had not ever been seen in Equestria before some months ago, nothing was really known about them, nor was much understood about their magic as a reality beyond the legends, and he was more shocked that the princesses were well aware of them and allowed them free reign before really knowing about what they could do. He mildly scolded the princesses, thinking they should have had more sense. What he seemed to fear the more was the twins trying to stir up ancient things that may well be best left to the legends, and maybe even recruit unicorns to their magicks that really were not all that well known, and thus made playing in that world dangerous. All it could lead to was mischief. Therefore, he was not going to have his group be one of the recipients of the charity money, as it would seem hypocritical. This started some ripples of scrutiny, and even caused a short drop in sales and chart ratings for the twins, as it seemed the way he had put it all made some kind of sense. This did not escape notice, however, as rumors of other things were happening.

Stories of bully colt gangs were springing up in those neighborhoods, acting like some kind of civilian patrol in the town, but seeming to cause more harm than good. Yet, some ponies felt safer to walk the streets at night as long as they didn’t seem to be stirring up trouble and crime, and they left them alone. They were also trying to recruit others to join this new political party, and speaking against the policies of the current mayor that they claimed were causing this mess. Sure, they seemed like vigilante groups, but, since nopony wanted to report the actions for fear of retribution, they let it go. Celestia had heard stories of this and felt awkward about this Nero, but at the same time, she did not want to be some kind of over-mare and controlling every aspect of pony life, and knew she had to allow some sovereignty to certain things. Still, she came out with a statement, disappointed this Nero wanted no part of the pop festival, and stated how she was disturbed at the rhetoric about her dealings with the pop music scene, questioning just where he was getting his ground to stand on against what she wanted to see. Moreover, she spoke out against his harsh words on the Bardics, assuring the ponies of Equestria that they had nothing to fear from the twins, as all their fans already knew about their nonviolence point of view and anti-war positions. She had done her homework on the Bardics, stating she had her best and most studious ponies working on the actual history of the Bardics, and because of that, she knew that they posed no threat to the land. If anything, she felt everypony should embrace what they had to offer, for what they did have to offer could help lead Equestria into a new golden age. As a way of saying that this was going to be a safe event, she said she, her sister, and Princess Twilight, would be in the royal box to watch the show all three nights it was going to take place.

The twins were approached about these statements, and they seemed real casual about it. They just said they had no anger towards him and only sympathy. They would indeed wish the best for him and his goals as long as they remained peaceful and free of hate, and hoped one day to meet with him directly and convey to him that there was nothing to fear from the Bardics. If they did want to help the downtrodden as they claimed, they were all for that, and because of their own charity for orphans and foster foals, they would even offer to send funds to aid those under his care if he would allow for it. They said it was cool and they understood some initial fears, considering how they were the new ones on the block with something unknown to the present world, but they hoped that they could eventually show that all they had to offer was to make the world a more peaceful place. This helped to bring back the mild losses for the twins, and aided them in being one of the keynote acts in the festival, being the closing act for the second night, leaving night one to Billy Foal and Sapphire Shores to close it out, and Coloratura the last night to close out the show. They all looked forward to an interesting three days.

Yet, there was more suspicions between Luna and Celestia then met the eye. It started when Luna tried to dream walk into this Nero’s dreams, but found a dream state door slammed shut in her face, followed by it being covered with chains and boards. Though her magic was great, she found it impossible to break in, and this concerned her. Nopony, and that meant nopony, could block her, save her sister, and that was seldom that Celestia did that. That sent warning flags flying in both their heads, and they sent some spies in to see what the case was. Indeed, there were small packs roaming the streets, seemingly keeping order, but they were pushy and rude, with this sense of self-importance, and all were wearing matching uniforms: dark green shirts and red neckerchiefs with black pants and boots, and all wearing armbands marked with the party logo. Moreover, they seemed a bit more feared than respected, and if there was anything they were doing beyond the law, they seemed expert in covering their paths so that they could never really be caught. Still, this Nero was making employment for many out of work ponies, and they seemed focused on the youth, seeming to give them extra help in their school work. Yet, it was hard to get access to any other parts of that building than what they were allowed, and surveillance was tight. They really had not committed any crimes per se, (that is, none they could get caught in doing,) so there was nothing the princesses could really do. What made matters more difficult was the fact that she was finding it impossible to contact Discord. Definitely, if there was anypony that could find dirt on them, it was him, and he had not been heard from in weeks since his last visit with Fluttershy. She really needed him now, yet, knowing he could detect shifts in magic in his own way, she had to trust he was already aware of things and was on top of things…she hoped.

Indeed, Discord was on top of it, watching, observing, and almost envious of the controlled chaos Ponaeros was causing in Fillydelphia. If he could get political legs under him, not only could he take control of this city, and do it by legal means, this could spring up in several other cities, and then the real fun would begin. Not only was Ponaeros strong-hoofing others, as being led to do so by the renegade general, but he also knew this general had better watch his back. What was actually going on in the background was something far more sinister. The youths he was “helping with their schooling” were actually being indoctrinated into his horrible philosophies, being told, (as many youths were by those dictators who sought to bend young minds,) that they were the future and that their elders had no clue about the world at large. They were the pure ones, and that they had to purify the planet of old thinking. He upheld the country ponies who worked the land, and that meant any pony that contributed in their ways, be they earth pony, pegasus, or unicorn. They were, strong, healthy, industrious, and pure. This was the ideal he pushed at them, but he also pushed a strong hate for the Bardics at them. He taught that, though they may seem inclusive now, be rest assured they would go to their separatist ways and do the things that made them so racially inferior to them. He pushed good health and strong bodies and minds. On top of all this, he was using his wicked magic to push his agenda to its fullest effects. It was not so much as he was controlling them like puppets, but was programming into their brains his rhetoric to become almost instinctive. It would be from this group that he would truly found his conquest, and the general’s bully colts were only a means to an end. They were expendable. They would serve their purpose, and then be eradicated. The ones the general was using were good for getting things going, but still an element he could not fully control, as they had only joined as long as they thought they could get gain out of it. This, he could not have amongst his ranks. Loose cannons were not what he needed. His plot was twisted and sinister, and normally would take years. Yet, with this powerful magic, this could be greatly accelerated. Still, Discord was not willing to play his hand just yet. If he moved too soon, the whole thing could go underground and then become almost impossible to find. However, the other problem was letting them get too established to where violence would be the only way to stop him. He would have to find the balance to where, if he did have to go underground, they could be tracked. Indeed, this was the most interesting chess game he had ever played.

The festival day finally came, and ponies flocked in from all over Equestria. The arena could hold over twenty-four thousand patrons, so it was going to be a massive crowd, all hyped up and loud. The acts that were coming out of the woodwork were a veritable who’s who: the Beach Colts, Frankie Filly and the Four Seasonings, the What, Brunette, Tin Balloon, Spearmaker, Hug, the Primates, the punk sounds of the Roans, Sandy and the Bunyips, The listening headsets, The Violent Fillies, as well as Dreadlocks Mane, Violet Hazy and the Expense, Princess, and others. There were also a few folk acts, as well as some country and western acts. The twins were invited by Princess Twilight to sit in the royal box, along with her friends, to watch the first night with them. Twilight was loving the show, along with her friends, who were cheering along with the others, save for Fluttershy, who really did not care for the acts that seemed to be earsplitting loud. Luna was mixed in her thoughts on the talent, felling she like some and not others, but was enjoying herself nonetheless. Celestia, however, was screaming louder than the others, acting just as much as an adolescent as the others, really letting her mane down. The only ones that seemed not there were the twins. They saw the elaborate shows and styles of music that was being played, and now they felt intimidated. They were going to keep the act simple, save for some Bardic magic at the right places to enhance the show. The stage was larger than the one they were on during the Gala, and they felt like they were going to be engulfed. They were now doubting if they should be doing this at all.

After that night, they all went to the castle to stay as the guests of the princesses, their ears still ringing from the show, and they were quite exhausted. Rarity, however, saw the tension with the twins, and she knew that, once they got some rest, she would have to do something to bring up their spirits. Besides, they were getting ready to play on their biggest stage yet, and she felt she needed to do something to spruce them up after what she had seen that night.

They all awoke to a late day and had some breakfast together and were able to catch up with the twins. Rarity took the chance to say, “You know, I was thinking. Since this is the biggest stage you two have been on as of yet, and I would really love to have you look dazzling out there…”
Downy politely cut her off and said, “We do thank you for your generosity, but really, we’re fine. We can manage.”
“But…but you certainly can’t think that you’d…” she started to sputter, and then finally said, “I mean, you’re trying to make an impression, and considering what we have seen…”
Quill cut in and said, “Hey, that’s just their scene, you know? But, this is our scene. Our fans are digging it, so I don’t see what that would matter.”
Determined, she spoke up and said, “Okay, I understand. You don’t like much in the way of change. Well that’s certainly alright. However…”
She tapped a hoof to her chin in thought, trying to phrase it right, and she said, “I know you like this counterculture look, and it fits your personality well. Yet, well… Hmm… You’re trying to attract ponies from all trots of life, right?”
They nodded, to which Rarity added, “Okay then, well, I really think that, if that is the case, you need to be unique, but not so unique that you can’t get your message to everyone.”
Quill, a bit aggravated, said, “Hey, look, if they can’t handle us as we are, that’s their hang up. Besides, I thought that’s what our first fashion change was all about? You said so yourself.”
“But, darlings, that’s not what I mean,” she said, trying to get them to understand. Applejack thought about it, and then said, “Ah think ah know what she’s a tryin’ t’say. I know y’all want t’get the message out that it’s okay t’be yerself an’ do yer own thang. Yet, you can’t be…what’s that term y’all use…that’s right…so far out that they can’t reach y’all or hear whatcha all halfta say. Y’all went the right way when y’all let Rarity change yer look. But now, y’all really need t’make yerselves more…approachable.”
“Are you saying we’re not?” said Quill, now tapping a hoof on the table.
“I don’t think that’s what she means,” said Twilight, “I think what she means is that you don’t have to be so counterculture that you counter the cultures you want to reach with your message. I’ve heard you use the term to describe mainstream: being square. Well, you don’t have to be square, but you can be your own thing without seeming so different no one can relate at all. It’s okay to reach for the stars, but you can’t be so high in the sky that you’re no earthly good.”
Fluttershy dared give some input and said, quietly, “Well, um, I think you’ve always been very nice ponies, and I think you’re very approachable…”
She got quiet, not sure how to say it, and Downy said, “Hey, it’s cool. Just speak your mind.”
She sighed, and said in a quick litany, “Well, it’s just you don’t wear that new look Rarity gave you nearly enough and it looks really good on you and still different enough to be yourselves; I think you can look a bit groomed and still look yourselves; Quill, I think you really need to do something with your mane, since your sisters is so nice and it would go better with it…”
…and the pair were stunned. This normally shy and retiring pony could be quite forward and blunt when she wanted to be. Rarity was glad that she was saying it, and added, “So, all I am saying, darlings, is I just wish to fine tune that look now. Okay, perhaps your outfits are fine, and I think what you’re trying to say is that you like to feel relaxed. Well, heaven knows that, in front of a crowd like that, you would certainly want to feel relaxed, so, all I’m going to do is add a few things. If I just trim your edges, Quill, and give you a nice part and comb, it would look quite handsome on you. Oh, and it seemed a bit chilly last night, so I think adding wraps to your look in colder weather would be nice, and maybe a nice scarf. I’ll have a nice off-white wool sweater with nice Trottingham stylings in it, and maybe a black crumby. Oh, that would look so hip and unique that it says to be yourself and stylish at the same time!”
Downy then said, “I have a few ideas for myself out of the Bardic Tome when talked of mane styles. You know I wear some of that, and it’s not for the reasons the ancients said, but just because I think it looks neat. But, there are some looks for stallions that would fit for him, and if we are to say we are Bardics, if just to advertise it, to look the part would be beneficial.”
“Now, there you go!” said Rarity, “Practical and stylish at the same time!”
Quill said, “Yes to everything but the mane!”
“Quill, don’t be a stick in the mud,” sighed Downy, “You know how we sing it: to everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose…”
“Didn’t think the time was now,” he grumbled in return.
Downy now looked stern and rolled her eyes as she said flatly, “Quill, you are going to let Rarity fix that mop on your head or else.”
“Whoa!” he said, “Where did that come from?”
“If there is one thing I know about you,” she said, “It is your stubborn streak! It almost caused disaster back in the other world, and I am not going to let it happen here. Besides, I’ve always felt you should do something about that bird’s nest on your head, and I have begged you for years…”
“And, I’ve always ignored it,” he said, fore hoofs crossed, not even looking at her, to which she said, “Well, you’re not ignoring it now.”
“Or else what?” he asked.
“Either I don’t perform tonight,” she said, looking like she would indeed follow through with the threat, “Or, we can settle it here. Either way, I win, because if we have to settle it the second way… Well, I am sure you would not love it to have the princesses and our friends watch me pin you in another wrestling match, something which I really don’t want to do here and now, but I will if it gets the job done!”
“Sissy!” he begged, knowing that he still could not outwrestle her, but she said, “Not another word. What’s your choice?”
He frowned and looked forlorn, and now looked like a condemned pony and said with a growl, “Fine…”
Downy turned all smiles and gave him a hug and kiss on the cheek and said, “Now that’s my little brother…”
“Hey!” he said, “Only by about 8 minutes!” they having seen their actual birth certificates at this point.
Rarity was all happy, quickly finishing her breakfast and saying, “I must get started right away! Downy, if I may see that tome, I can pick something for your brother. This is going to be fun!”
Quill just ate his breakfast in silence.

A couple of hours later, the others were waiting outside, and it was at this point that Starlight Glimmer had emerged from the magic classes she had been teaching at the magic school, happy to hear her friends were there, and spotted them out in the town outside Rarity’s Canterlot boutique, awaiting the twins. “Oh, it’s been so long!” she shouted as she trotted up and hugged her friends, “Last time I had the chance to see you all is when you were training those twins from that other world. How goes it with them?”
“Oh, they’re doing real well,” said Twilight, “They’ve really perfected their craft and they’re going to put it on display tonight.”
“Amazing,” she said, “And, while I have you, I’ve had a chance to look at their craft, and I tell you, it is amazing! It plays directly off the emotion centers of your brain, and really enhances any spell they cast, as long as it involves music or storytelling. Truth is, I think any unicorn with even a margin of musical skill could employ it, though maybe not to as great an effect as those whose natural talent is music.”
“So, you’re saying that any unicorn can use it,” pondered Twilight, “But to use it to the greatest effect, it has to be mixed with talents based of music or storytelling based magic. Wait, does that mean that having a separate Bardic class is not needed?”
“Not necessarily,” said Starlight, “To be a true bard, you have to have your talent in magic and music, but that doesn’t mean that you and I—unicorns whose natural talents are magic alone—couldn’t learn a few of their tricks. I’d say even Princesses Luna and Celestia could use this, if they don’t already know how by this point.”
“What about what I mentioned about a possibility to a link in the Tree of Harmony?” asked Twilight, now taking it all in.
“Oh, it absolutely ties in,” she said, “Music is harmony in nature personified. Indeed, it has its place in the magic of friendship, which is why, thanks to your help in understanding true friendship, being with friends brings such peace, because it is tied into harmony, and it seems to be the thing that makes the Bardic magic work the way it does. Yet, all of it is tied into something greater, and that I have not yet been able to put a hoof on. Give me time in the lab, though; I’ll get that answer.”
“What about that pegasus I mentioned,” Twilight reminded, “Doesn’t that seem odd?”
“Well, from what I can gather,” pondered Starlight, “If there is unicorn blood in there, it is possible that it can happen, though not under full control of the pony. I am not sure there is any evidence that they could learn that kind of control, or an ability to enhance it, but it is worth investigating. If there are bards among the other ponies, they may never be full Bardics, but they could be an auxiliary that can aid in bringing world peace back to Equestria, if indeed such a golden age could ever reemerge.”
She took it all in, knowing this could enhance everything that the twins were now trying to achieve. As they talked, Rarity came out and announced, “Here they are!”
They came out, manes done up in the styles put in the tomes, but not as elaborate as some pictures had shown for the elders of the ancient Bardics, being way too gaudy for practical use. Downy looked great with the wrap, light scarf, and new mane-do, and Quill actually looked very handsome now that something had been done with his unkempt look. Downy had to ask: “So, what do you think, Quill?”
After an awkward silence, he mumbled, “Ithinkitlooksfine.”
“What was that?” said Downy, nudging him.
“Ithinkitlooksfine.” he said a bit louder.
“I think I heard, ‘I think it looks fine’,” said Downy, smirking.
He sighed as he ate the big fat crow before him, saying, “I like the look.”
Downy laughed and pounced on him, saying, “You are a stubborn brother, but you always manage to do the right thing!”
Everyone laughed, knowing the fans were going to get quite a show. Twilight gave Starlight Glimmer a pass to that night’s show, if just to watch them in action for her studies, and even to see if there may be those of Bardic blood in the groups who are unconsciously employing even the slightest of Bardic gifts. The more they knew, the more it would aid the twins, who were fast becoming Bardic experts. There was no way of knowing just ow far this could go.