• Published 13th Oct 2015
  • 347 Views, 8 Comments

My Little Pony: the Harmony of Friendship - Godzilla313



Lost souls, ancient history, those coming to their rightful places, with a song in their hearts, quelling evil, and putting music to the harmony of friendship.

  • ...
2
 8
 347

Chapter 16

Author's Note:

Once again, I insert an original set of lyrics. Yet, as before, because I am not one who composes music, I leave it to you to create the tune. All of you are welcome to give that a go.

Chapter 16

“The Grand Galloping Gala?” asked Twilight as they walked from the small celebration going on by those who knew just what this meant, “Are you sure that’s good? I mean, I don’t think what they do is what they would want to hear.”
“Are you kidding?” said Celestia, “I think the Gala needs some variety. I mean, even though not everypony can come into the castle for the gala to celebrate, there are still events all around the grounds, the courtyard, and all through the city for everypony to participate in. What they would do would be some of the entertainment that goes on. In fact, I would love some of that kind of entertainment from the outside to be seen on the inside, just to show them that other ponies know how to have fun that night, and that it’s okay to let your mane down every now and then.”
“Whew,” exclaimed Twilight, “That’s going to hair lip a few in there. Still, okay, three music acts, and what else?”
“Well, I’d start by asking some of the street performers around,” answered Celestia, “As well look up some of the popular acts in the coffee shops and such. I bet they could tell you some things.”
“Well, that would be a start,” she pondered, but then suddenly realized what Celestia had just implied, “Wait,” said Twilight in mid trot, “Why are you telling me this?”
“Well, this year, as part of your learning to be a princess,” said Celestia, “You are putting together the gala.”
Her eyes went wide, and she felt like her life blood was now draining out through her hoofs into the ground. “M…m…me?” she asked in a chirp-like sound, “But, that’s so huge…I mean…what do I do…is there a book to read on ball planning…there’s the food, the music, the guest list!”
She started to go into a bit of a panic, but Celestia gently put a hoof on Twilight’s mouth to stop her, and she said, “My dear Twilight: if you are going to be a princess over any amount of ponies in your time, beyond what you deal with now, you are going to have to learn one important skill I learned long ago—delegate!”
“Delegate?” she asked right back, “Oh, like for Cadence’s wedding!”
“Of course,” answered Celestia, “You handled that.”
“True, but I had friends to help me…” she started to say, and as it clicked, “…and I delegated things to them. Oh, why do I have to be such a silly filly sometimes?”
Celestia giggled and said, “Well, this is going to be much bigger than that was, though that was a big shindig in itself. Yet, I wouldn’t trust you with this year’s gala if I didn’t think you could handle it.”
Now Twilight puffed up a bit in pride, saying, “I’m up for the challenge! We’ll get this done right. You can count on me.”
“Good,” responded Celestia, as a list appeared before Twilight: a big one! It was a thick scroll, and Twilight swallowed, saying, “This…is going to take some reading…and note taking…”
“And, knowing you, you’ll have it read in about two days, and have a full game plan ready,” answered Celestia, “You know I am all too familiar with your study habits, and your reports. While other students were turning in ten or twelve page reports, you were turning in forty or fifty.”
Twilight cringed at this, now realizing that Celestia had to read those, and now she wondered just what Celestia must have really thought when she got something the length of a novella handed to her, and now just how much may not have needed to be said in a process, and knowing her obsession of not wanting to leave anything out, lest she be misunderstood. Twilight just took the scroll and said, “I’ll get back to you on the progress. Goodness me: this one is going to be a challenge.”

After the crowd dispersed, the Ponytones, Octavia and Vinyl, as well as the twins were there, but the twins remained mostly silent while Rarity was all agog. “Oh goodness!” she said, “This is going to be fabulous!”
She started holing up her fore hoofs in a lens-like fashion, saying, “Oh, I can see the outfits now! It’s a formal affair, so we have to go in looking dazzling! Now, for you two…”
But Quill cut her off, saying, “Thanks, but, we don’t really go in for the monkey suits and stuff.”
Rarity reacted as if she smelled something bad at the same time she heard something shocking and said, “You cannot be serious, darlings! I mean, this is only the most formal affair in all of Equestria, and only the who’s who of the land are invited into the castle.”
“So, it’s some high society affair?” asked Downy, “Well, we really don’t connect all that well with the establishment crowd. I mean, they look down so much on others and think their money makes them better than everyone else, just because they have more or finer things.”
Rarity never contemplated it like that, because she often wanted to be a part of that crowd, and had all the fashion sense that went with it. Yet, at the same time, she was still a country mare at heart, a small town filly, and she often wondered if it was because of that that she learned how to appreciate having nice things because she didn’t have them, and at the same time knew the value of things even though they may not be the finest in the realm. Moreover, even Rarity knew that those things do not make a pony happy ultimately, though if one did have them, they should never be ashamed to flaunt it a bit, but just a bit. However, she now seemed to understand that, to the twins, things like that carried a different meaning. She then said, “Well, just because it may seem that way does not mean that all those wearing that kind of thing are thinking they are better than anypony else. I mean for me, I like to do fashion, and even wear this or that for one thing or another, not to try to show anypony up, or to say I am better than them, but because when I know I look good, I feel good. Sometimes, the right outfit can bring up a dull day or a sad mood. Sometimes, I get into bright colors just to turn a sad mood happy for myself. Doing décor and putting things in their right place and color schemes make those who are in it happier. Sometimes showing off a bit has nothing to do with showing others up. But, I think I understand a bit of how you feel. Nonetheless, if you are going to entertain them, you should at least look pleasing to the eye. Now, I like your hair, Downy, and what you’ve done with it. Where did you get all that?”
“It was in the Bardic tome,” answered Downy, “They wore it for some odd reason of marking themselves as different, but I thought that so off-putting. It kind of is the mindset we really don’t care for.”
“Nor should you,” answered Rarity, “Nonetheless, why are you wearing it?”
“Because I thought it would look nice,” answered Downy.
“And that’s exactly my point, darling,” answered Rarity, “Therefore, you do it because it pleases your eyes, if nopony else’s, and that’s all that matters. However, if that is what you want to wear, I bet I could find some designs in that old dusty tome of yours that I can make more today, and truly fit the styles I see you two seem to like. You can trust me. You are in good hoofs with me! I can make you turn some heads without saying that you are a part of that snooty attitude! Sometimes, fashion is not about trying to look good as much as saying something about yourself without saying a word.”
“Really?” joked Quill, “And you’re a miracle worker as well?”
Rarity got a gleam in her eye and she answered, “I almost resemble that remark! Follow me to the boutique, and let’s see if I can live up to that.”

They got to the boutique, and now Rarity was able to work a magic of her own. She looked over the two of them and said, “Quill, I see by your choice of clothes that you are a deep thinker. You like colors and patterns that cause people to look at them and start to look for things in them, to get lost in them. Therefore, what you tell ponies is that they need to look into things deeply and understand what they see, and not in a shallow way, only seeing what’s on the surface. Downy, I see you like graceful and flowing things. It seems you really have a peace in your heart and can see the grace and peace in other things. You tell other ponies that they should always look for the beauty in things, even in things that seem merely simple and without much to them.”
They both looked stunned and Quill said, “That was far out! How did you do that?”
“We tend to dress how we feel and how we think sometimes,” said Rarity, “Everything about us wants to express itself, and does so in how we hold ourselves, even in the choice of our clothes. Sometimes, we say things about ourselves we don’t even intend to say by that, even if we don’t think about it. As I said, you speak volumes without saying a word…”

We all have a view of the world around that we all hold inside;
Often our acts and even our dress tells what we try to hide.
If we are weak or strong, lazy or work hard, sad or fancy free;
All that we are inside comes to the outside: all of what we be.
All we see, all we feel, and all that we know so well;
Even if we want to hold it in, what we hold has a tale to tell.

But though we think we hold it back, it cannot be restrained;
For what we are inside comes out, whether loved or much disdained.
So don’t be afraid to let it out: your story it must be heard.
Because you can always make your statement without saying a single word.

At this point, spools of thread were moving all around with bolts of cloth and patterns being drawn as tape measures were going over the both of them, and you could see the wheels in Rarity’s head spinning fast and powerfully.

Now Quill, you are a thinker, as your color patterns clearly show;
And you clearly want others to think for themselves, and themselves to clearly know.
So, let’s not distract them colors and shapes speaking louder than what you say;
Let them see you, and hear your words, let nothing else take that away.
You can keep it simple, humble, and sharp, and yet still not try to conform;
Show them you can be part of the crowd, and still stand outside of the norm.

Be yourself, don’t hold it back, it cannot be restrained;
A conforming non-conformist, whether loved or much disdained.
Think for yourself and be yourself: that’s your story; it shall be heard.
You’re going to make your statement without saying a single word.

She had him in simple casual black slacks, a white peasant shirt with a black vest and a simple black headband. She left the hair as it was because she knew it fit the image that he was trying to portray. He still wasn’t trying to fit the mode of high fashion, in this outfit, but he did not stand out so much that he just might be taken a bit more seriously by those he wished to hear his message. He saw himself and never thought he could look good like that. It was milder, but still said, “I am my own stallion.” Rarity then said to him before turning to Downy, saying, “It’s original, but not so much that they turn you off at first sight. Never be last out of style or first in fashion, I always say.”

Now Downy, you’re the opposite, and plain and simple will not do.
You exude grace and beauty and thus this all must show right through.
For you, flowing and blending colors that show movement with poise and grace;
The harmony of nature with all moving as one in time and space.
Show them gaudy baubles do not always accent one’s beauty true;
Harmony with that movement shows the beauty inside you.

Show nature’s harmony in your heart, it cannot be restrained;
Let them see how they also intertwine, whether loved or much disdained.
That all are one with you, and they in all: your story it must be heard.
And you taught them all this wisdom without saying a single word.

She now had Downy in a simple one piece dress with a simple black belt in the middle. The top half was loose but fitting with a clear demarcation at the shoulders in the stitching as to where the sleeves started. The sleeves were also loose but fitting, ending in a lace pattern, and the neck had a simple ribbon cinch tie with no collar. The skirt half was pleated and flowing, also bordered with lace, with blending colors top and bottom that noted movement and a flowing grace with a scheme that matched both her mane color and coat color so as not to clash. It also was able to compliment either her usual flower chain she wore on her head like a laurel, or even a single flower she was often seen to be sporting. The twins could not believe it. It still said who they were, but in a way that was not so much “in your face” as it had been. They were still different, but not so much that they were being noticed for the wrong reasons. Rarity then said, “If I were you, I would wear things like this before them. It still may make them turn their noses up at you, but it still preaches your message and yet exudes a maturity that they just might listen and learn something from what you say and sing.”
“You can do a whole wardrobe for us like this?” asked Downy.
“Of course,” answered Rarity, “This is my stock in trade. These you can have as my gift to you, and if you want more, I have the patterns, and I can do variations of this in different color schemes depending on what the need is at a reasonable price, because I do consider you friends after all.”
“We’ve barely known you…well, like this, anyway,” said Quill, “I just hope that we can live up to whatever image of friends you hold of us.”
“Think nothing of it,” said Rarity, “Any friend of Twilight is my friend as well. See you around town darlings, and at the Gala!”
They both walked out of there just as Twilight was moving quickly towards the boutique, saying hello quickly, but then realizing they were dressed differently, and she was forced to stop and say, “Hey, those look so cool on you! Ah, you got the Rarity treatment, didn’t you?”
They nodded and smiled, and Twilight then said, “Give her a chance, and she’d redress the whole world if you gave her a chance.”
They went their way, and Rarity asked as Twilight came in and shut the door, “Well, hello, darling. And what brings you to me this day?”
“You are not going to believe this, but…” and went on to tell with what she had been tasked.

The scream of glee could be heard across town! “Oh, this is the most FABULOUS news!” gushed Rarity, “And you wish my help?”
“Décor is your thing,” answered Twilight, “I know you and the Ponytones are performing in the gala, but I think you can still do this.”
“Oh, absolutely!” she beamed, “I not only get to go, but to actually shape the look of it as well! Oh darling, we must visit Canterlot right away! I have so much to plan for, and I need to see with what I have to work!”
Twilight sighed and felt a little bit of the weight come off her. It felt good to know she had others with which to share the load.

As the days passed and Twilight was pouring over the list, she was able indeed to recruit her friends. Rainbow Dash was going to be part of a Wonderbolts display, while Fluttershy would take care of animal acts to entertain the children who came with their parents. Pinkie Pie would work with Rarity on music and refreshments so as to not clash with anything Rarity had planned. She hoped that Rarity would be able to help keep Pinkie Pie’s idea of such things with some dignity. Applejack would work with Granny Smith as official feastocrats for the event. Once this was done, she wanted to meet with those who Celestia wanted in a musical stage show, and she met with them at the twins’ house, looking to see what they had in mind for the show. The first ting Quill asked is, “Well, just what is this gala all about anyway?”
“Well, it’s an annual celebration that is held just for the sake of having a celebration,” said Twilight, “It indeed sports all of what is the best in Equestria, and it starts at sunset and goes on pretty much all night. There are events both in the castle and in town, and it is just a spectacular night.”
“But there doesn’t really seem a point to it,” added Quill.
“Of course there is,” answered Twilight, “I mean you do what you do just because you can, right?”
“Sure.”
“Well, I guess the answer why we do it is, why not?” answered Twilight, “Does one need a reason to have fun.”
He couldn’t argue that and let it go. Yet, Downy said, “Thing is, we really don’t know how we’ll fit into this scene. I mean, I don’t think they’d care for our brand of music.”
Twilight got a smirk and said, “You know, after all these years of knowing Princess Celestia and it took me a long time to learn this. Though she is a princess, she really doesn’t like all the formal trappings. One thing she does not care for is smug and arrogant ponies, and often she does what she can to shake that crowd up while trying to help others loosen up and relax.”
She put a hoof to her mouth and acted like she was sharing a secret as she said, “Sometimes I think she’s a closet party animal!”
Everyone got a good laugh out of it and then decided to share their plans. Octavia and Vinyl were going to do a combo classical/techno show of pieces. They would be to the sheet music, but done to that style. The Ponytones had a series of a cappella tunes they had planned, along with the Doo-Wop numbers the twins had taught them, and they also asked for them to teach them more. It was agreed they should all do something together, but they would hash that out later. The twins, however, were not seeking to be that showy. Yet, they had a few songs they would need help from the sitting band that would be playing music in between sets, and they figured on what they knew to be a few Everley Brothers numbers, some Simon and Garfunkel tunes, trying to stay away from the more angst filled numbers, and a few Peter, Paul, and Mary sing-a-long tunes. If they played their cards right, they knew they could win the crowd over if they could get them involved. They also were going to use this as a chance to show some of what they had learned by this point in their Bardic craft, hoping it might bring a few potential Bardics out of the crowd. Twilight caught this, and decided to take their temperatures, proverbially speaking.

Everyone had left by this point except for Twilight, who then asked, “So, now that things are kind of settling down, how have you two been? We really haven’t talked much since you arrived at Ponyville.”
They looked at one another, and Quill then said, “Okay…sort of…”
Twilight looked at him quizzically and asked, “Something bothering you?”
Quill sighed and said, “Well, I know we’ve settled things in our minds about how things are, and where they seem to be going, but…”
He paused, trying to find the words, and Twilight coaxed, “But, there’s something else?”
“Well,” he said, “I mean, it’s been a bit over four months now, and when you think about it, a lot has happened.”
She pondered it, and then said, “Feeling overwhelmed?”
“Not exactly,” answered Quill, “I’m not sure what it is. I mean, in that time, we went from being two foster kids in the human world with no future, to finding out we were not really human, to finding out we are what we are now, that we are magical, and that it is a special magic, to becoming what we really are, to spending three months in an Equestrian cram school, to now playing a royal command performance. Dude, that’s like…it’s trippy!”
“I don’t know if we’ve really been able to have a chance to wrap our heads around it yet,” added Downy, “I mean, we had a bit of down time when we got here, but our heads were still swimming a bit just trying to get settled in. It’s all just zipping by.”
“And that’s really not our way,” added Quill, “I mean, we just want some more time to dig it, you know?”
“To…dig…it,” said Twilight, still trying to get the hang of their lingo, “I…think I get it?”
“Have you ever felt blindsided by life before?” asked Downy.
“Have I ever!” said Twilight, “There was the day I became an alicorn…”
“You didn’t start off this way?” asked Quill.
“That’s right, I don’t think I ever told you about that,” realized Twilight, and she told her story. In a very short space of a day, she was just a student, solving one of the many problems that liked to come her way, and then a princess in that same day. Before she knew it, they were crowning her, and then she had to stand as national ruler when the princesses were kidnapped and stop a crisis that threatened to destroy all of Equestria. They were just in amazement in all this, and Quill said, “Bummer! And I thought we’ve been going through the wringer! How did you come to grips with all of it?”
Twilight said, “I am the princess of friendship, but I could not have been that had it not been for my friends.”
“It’s always good to have someone you can lean on,” said Downy as she hugged her brother. Twilight thought about it and said, “Let me tell you what: when I’m feeling stressed, I love going to Fluttershy’s cottage and helping with her animals. She is such a quiet soul that she can bring me calmness when things are feeling out of hand. Why don’t you come with me tomorrow. She’s having some tea with me, and I think she wouldn’t mind a couple more.”
“That sounds very nice,” said Downy, “Can we bring our guitars?”
“Sure,” answered Twilight, “I couldn’t imagine you two without them by this point.”

Early the next morning, they got dressed, some breakfast, and met Twilight as they went to Fluttershy’s cottage. As they approached, there seemed to be a peace about that place that set them at ease. If there seemed to be one being around the area that seemed in tune with nature, it must be Fluttershy. They remembered her human counterpart, and they wondered just how different or the same this one would be. Twilight knocked, and Fluttershy opened the door a crack. Upon seeing her, she opened, but was put off a touch by the twins. This Fluttershy hadn’t really gotten to know them all that well yet, and she turtled up a bit. “Oh, hi,” she said quieter than normal, but Downy gently smiled and raised her right hoof, saying, “Peace, nature’s child. It is so good to meet you.”
Indeed, Downy was like Fluttershy in many ways, but without the shyness. Fluttershy blushed a touch and matched Downy’s smile, as she was put at ease by the newcomer. They then saw all the animals in there that normally would be seeking to annihilate one another for food living in peace and harmony. Quill kind of thought of her as one of those peaceful souls that animals set aside their instinctive fears and approached without hesitation. From behind her was heard, “Ooh, like, I felt the good vibes when you all entered. Righteous.”
Tree hugger had come by as well, and Fluttershy said, “Oh, that is so good we’re getting along! I’ll get some more tea and muffins!”
The twins looked at her and held up the right hoof, saying, “Peace, sister.”
“More like this,” answered Tree Hugger, as she held her hoofs before her, putting the tips of the hoofs together before her muzzle, “I’m thinking you’re trying for this.”
The twins were happy somepony finally taught them how to do a peace sign in this world, and they returned the gesture. With that, they all had a seat, and Hugger said, “Your spirits seem so, like, in place, and not in place…totally two worlds.”
The twins looked at one another, not sure how she could have seen that, and it indeed begged the question, “How can you see all that?”
“Like, I’m totally familiar with the natural movements of all creatures,” answered Hugger, “Your movements are a bit more measured than others, and there seems to be a vibe off you that you want to move another fashion. You also seem to have an instinct to use your fore hoofs more than, not just unicorns, but more than anypony of any kind.”
“But, we’ve only been here a short time,” said Quill, “You caught all that?”
“Hey, if you want to be in tune with the energies of the world,” answered Hugger, “You have to be like, really observant. If something’s amiss, you can catch it before it becomes a problem.”
The twins looked at each other, then at Twilight, and Quill then said, “I guess the cat’s out of the bag. I think we can share this.”
Twilight nodded, and added, “Please, don’t spread this around. We’re not sure how every other pony might take this. There’s no telling what some ponies might do if they knew what they are about to tell you.”
With that, they told their story. Fluttershy was familiar with dimensional travel thanks to Twilights travels, and yet she was still amazed by what the twins had gone through, but Tree Hugger looked all mellow about it. After they were finished, Tree Hugger then said, “The universe holds so many mysteries, and yet knowing this shouldn’t be amazing. I mean, when you open your mind enough, you can learn to accept many things as true that most others might dismiss offhand. And, like, talk about blowing your mind! You’ve actually crossed into another world! Well, that totally explains your mannerisms.”
“You don’t amaze easily, do you?” asked Quill.
“Dude,” responded Hugger, “I’ve seen too much for things to amaze me all that much. I just take things in stride, one day at a time, one step at a time. Can’t worry about tomorrow. It’s not here yet. Can’t worry about what’s not happening yet.”
That caught even Twilight a bit considering how she had the tendency to worry about this or that. She took mental note of that and filed it away. Meanwhile, Quill said, “Man, I…ugh…still trying to get a hang of the lingo. ‘Man’ has no meaning here.”
“I get it,” said Hugger, “Takes time to get into new digs. You must feel overwhelmed.”
They just smiled and nodded, and Fluttershy finally interjected, saying, “I would be absolutely lost if it had been me. It would be so frightening.”
“How would you deal with it, then?” asked Downy, figuring her innocence would say more than what she would realize she let on.
“Well, it always takes me time to learn something new,” she said, “But, I could never do it without friends. They can take what seems scary and make it not scary. Nothing is really scary once you understand it.”
“It’s cool,” added Hugger, “You’ll get so used to it that it won’t even seem you were never as you are now. But, you’ll never fully shed that other world. Besides, you have your music. If that’s what you’re here to do, then I can’t think of many other ways you can tune yourselves with the energies of the planet. There’s harmony in everything: music, nature, the cosmos, friendship…”
“The tree of harmony,” mumbled Twilight, “I wonder how much that has to do with your magic, considering how it is based in the harmonies you create with your music.”
“Cool!” answered Hugger to that, “You’re digging it! Hey, let’s go outside and enjoy some of that nature. Play what’s in your hearts!”
They all nodded and headed out to the backyard where the wildlife was teeming with activity and peace. The twins heard the birds chirping, and they seemed so happy and without a care. Quill started to play “Three Little Birds,” and Downy caught onto it, playing and singing with him in relish. After getting the feel for the song, everyone started to sing with them. They were not even trying to use their magic, but because they were now starting to get in tune with everything, it was if that tree of harmony Twilight mentioned was getting in tune with them, taking them to another level, so to speak. The twins jumped into “One Love” and then into “River of Babylon,” and even the animals were starting to prance with the music and harmony. The twins even picked up the pace a bit and went into “Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard.” As the day began to draw to a close, Hugger then said, “There is so much good the world can gain from you two. I am so glad to have met you. I truly think we are all better ponies for this day.”
Fluttershy had not had as much input as Twilight thought she might have had in this whole thing, and she just wondered if she was just not sure what she should say for fear of saying something wrong. Yet, what she had been doing is observing and thinking, and she finally spoke up, saying, “You’re like a water bird put in a desert. You feel like you don’t belong here, do you?”
That stunned Twilight a bit that Fluttershy could be so plain, considering how careful she was in not wanting to offend anypony in what she said. Downy then said, “We’ve come to accept that this is our home, and that this is where we belong…” but Fluttershy made it clear how she came to this conclusion, cutting in and saying, “But that doesn’t mean you feel like you belong. But that’s okay, because I know how it feels. Often I’ve been in places in things where I thought I didn’t belong, or wondered how somepony like me could ever help or be a part. But, thanks to my friends, they’ve taught me that I don’t have to feel like that. They make me feel welcome that I have worth. Well, you are welcome with us, and you do have worth. You do belong.”
Quill said, “We’ve never been made to feel like we belong, even where we came from.”
“That’s because you didn’t” answered Hugger, “That was not your real home; this is.”
“Old habits die hard, don’t they,” added Twilight, “You just have to give it time. I bet once you start to reach some goals for yourselves, you’ll be so wrapped up in it that you won’t even think about it anymore.”
Downy, hearing this, began to hum an old song called “The River of Jordan,” and old human world folk song they had been reworking for this one, and Quill picked up on it, starting to play and sing. The message in the song was that everypony and everything had its proper place in the world, and is a part of every stallion and mare, and that means everypony in the world. So empowered felt they now that Quill felt inspired and cried out to the horizon, “Look out, world! Peace, music, and the harmony of friendship is going to conquer you!”


Somewhere near the surface of the Abyss inside Tartarus, a pair of eyes turned to the top. He had heard the echo of confidence and power waft through the fields and paths of magic, and it was a magic he knew all too well. He smiled evilly and said, “Soon, my child, soon we shall meet, and we shall see just who conquers what…”