• Published 12th Oct 2015
  • 735 Views, 3 Comments

What Makes a Mark - TangledHeart



The newly-marked CMC head to a village full of fillies and colts who were raised to believe that cutie marks were evil.

  • ...
1
 3
 735

Prologue

Author's Note:

First, thanks to Eruantalon for his(her?) suggestions! I hope you all like this story. Feel free to comment down below, even about what I'm doing wrong! I want this to be the best fic it can be.

To excel is to fail.

Choose equality as your special talent

In sameness, there is peace

Conformity will set you free.

These statements had been the guiding light of Homology's life thus far. He had believed them and followed them with all his heart. Now, because of these six strangers who came out of nowhere, everything has to change? Suddenly, everypony in the village was thinking for themselves, and using their own talents. The princess had assured everyone that this was good, but Homology wasn't sure. Who knew for sure if this were true? And, if it were... how could he follow this new philosophy?

How could he learn to be.... himself?

Starlight, where are you?!


As Applejack approached the clubhouse, she could hear the hasty clip-clop of her sister's hooves. Opening the door, her eyes followed Apple Bloom as she paced across the room.

"Apple Bloom," she called out finally. "You've been in here all morning. Come get some lunch."

"I can't, Applejack," Apple Bloom retorted. "I just can't! Not until I figure this out."

"Figure what out, sugar cube?" AJ stepped inside, stopping her little sister.

"The new mission of the CMC is to help other ponies find their special talent and get their cutie mark, or learn its true meanin'," Apple Bloom reminded. "But, most ponies around here have their cutie marks, and are happy with their talents. What if we're 'sposed to go somewhere else to help somepony?"

"I see," Applejack thought for a minute. "Well... remember the first place that the map in Twilight's castle sent us to?"

"That village where everypony had the same cutie mark, but then they took their real ones back?"

"The very same," AJ nodded.

"What about it?" her little sister raised an eyebrow.

"I saw plenty of little fillies and colts over there," Applejack explained. "They've grown up on Starlight's philosophy. I don't think any of them had gotten their cutie mark yet. I imagine they could really use some help from the Cutie Mark Crusaders."

"You're right," Apple Bloom jumped up. "They've never been able to think about what their own talent is. They can't possibly know how to get their own cutie marks. This has to be the Crusaders' next mission!"

"Wish I had thought of that," AJ chuckled. "But, before we go runnin' off to the ends of Equestria, we might want to have the other Crusaders ask their parents to make sure it's okay."

"Way ahead of you, sis!" the little earth pony was already halfway down the steps. "I'll meet you back here later! Thank you, Applejack!"


"Please let me go," Sweetie Belle whined.

"I just don't know," her mother, Cookie Crumbles, hesitated. "Helping your friends find their talents is one thing, but going to the end of Equestria?"

"I don't think it's any place for three fillies," Hondo Flanks agreed.

"But Apple Bloom's big sister will be going with us," Sweetie Belle argued. "What trouble can we get into with the Element of Honesty keeping an eye on us?"

"It would be an amazing opportunity for Sweetie Belle," Rarity cut in. She had come along to her parents' house to help her sister in case this very situation came about. "And, allowing her to go would be the least you could do after you didn't attend her cuteceaƱera."

"Young lady," her father stood from his seat. "I will not be judged by my own daughter. You know full well how much we regret having to miss the party."

"Then why won't you let me go and put my special talent to real use for the first time?" Sweetie Belle countered. Her parents looked at each other and sighed in resignation.

"Fine, you may go."


Later, Applejack brought the girls to the Carousel Boutique, where Rarity supposedly had a surprise for them.

"I'm so psyched about this," Sweetie Belle exclaimed as they walked. "Our first cutie mark mission!"

"How'd you manage to get permission, Scootaloo?" Apple Bloom asked.

"It's not like Amber Rose cares much what her charges do," the pegasus replied, referring to her foster mother. "Wasn't hard to get her excited to be rid of one brat for a while."

"Right," Apple Bloom mentally stuck a hoof in her mouth.

"We're here," Applejack announced, eager to ease the sudden tension. The group went in to be met not only by Rarity, but the newest alicorn.

"Princess Twilight!" the Crusaders exclaimed in unison.

"What are you doing here?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"You think I'd miss out on sending my students off for their first mission?" Twilight chuckled.

"Speaking of which," Rarity cut in. "You'll need supplies on your trip. And I think it's past time for you three to have new saddlebags. And what better way to commemorate your new cutie marks?" She brought out the bags, each with their owner's respective cutie mark. The trio gasped. "The pattern of your marks is so amazing, I just had to do something with them."

Each Crusader took their bag and tried them on. After, they each squealed in delight.

"Now," the princess stepped up once more. "I think it's great that you're going to help the ponies from the Equality Village, but you'll need to be gentle. These fillies and colts probably won't just be turn-key to your ideas, even after our visit there."

The three each nodded, feigning seriousness. Well, of course they were going to be sensitive, but they were still excited! Not that they'd give any indication that they didn't appreciate their former mentor's advice.

"Now, let's get out there and find some marks!" Apple Bloom led the Crusaders into a hoof bump.