• Published 11th Oct 2015
  • 210 Views, 6 Comments

Goodlands and Applejack - Goodlands



A new pony enters Ponyville looking for a place to call home.

  • ...
 6
 210

The Mane Misfits

"Why, whats going on? Do you know where Twilight and the others are?" asked Spike as he climbed down from Gilda's backside.
"I do. That's why i summoned you here Spike. Goodlands, you're here too?" she waved it away "I received this letter this morning." she said as she magic the letter over to them, and suspended it in front of them, it reads:

The clock is ticking from where you stand, they are trapped here now on this island. You want them back and that is for sure, you coming here is their only cure. Come and collect them if you dare, and save your precious little mares. But hurry about and do make haste, or their weakened minds shall simply waste. Night and day they will toil away, as their bodies slowly begin to decay. You should come alone and do not be late, for this is where The Jackal awaits.

"What do you make of it. Clearly this Jackal has taken them, but I'm not sure how. Or why.." she started, but in came another mare. Princess Luna had come in.
"I am here, why the abrupt summons? Is everything alright?" asked Luna in turn.
"This letter showed up not too long ago, and I've already sent for Princess Cadance." she said showing Luna the letter, to which she gasped.
"Who is this Jackal and why would he take the girls?" she asked looking at Celestia.
"Of that I'm not sure, but we do know where we need to go. I do hope Cadance shows up soon."
"He's the one who was controlling Monsoon, i bit him to distract him while Twilight used her magic to subdue him." piped up Spike.
"It's a trap. You mustn't go. I.." Goodlands was stopped mid sentence.
Princess Cadance came flying in through the large window that connected to the balcony "I'm here, whats going on?" asked Princess Cadance as she tried to catch her breath.
"This foul beast Jackal has taken the girls, and wants Celestia to come collect them." said Luna turning to her. The letter was then held up in front of her and she quickly read it.
"But you mustn't, this is clearly a trap." she said looking from Luna to Celestia.
"But i must.. These girls mean a lot to me. Not only that but what kind of princess would i be if i didn't protect, or come to the rescue of my subjects. This isn't up for debate, i must go retrieve them." she said so severely that neither said anything. "Sorry." she amended, her voice much softer.
"Its alright, your worried about them, and we understand. That's why we'll come with you.." said Luna, as Cadance nodded.
"STOP!" interjected Goodlands, everyone jumped and looked at him. "You will not go.." Celestia looked taken aback.
"Goodlands what are you doing? Those are princesses you're talking too." said Spike in a soft voice.
"I understand that." he said looking over his shoulder, then back at Celestia "I will go instead."
"You?!" asked Luna "and what is it you think you will do, walk right in and demand he hand them over?" she scowled at him.
"Think about it milady. This is clearly a trap, and he's expecting you." he said pointing at Celestia "he's probably got some kind of devious plan for when you go to collect them. But he's not expecting me. He knows nothing of me, thus i have the upper hoof." he said to them all.
"You would certainly have the element of surprise." she said as she took in his words.
"The only thing i don't know is the location of this Jackal." said Goodlands a look of worry on his face.
"I can go as well. I know the way, it'll be easy for me. I watched the whole thing from a hot air balloons perspective, thus i know the route we'll need to take." added Spike "besides Twilight's my best friend. I cant stay here and worry about her, not when i can help."
"I'll help as well." they all turned towards Gilda as she pointed to herself. "If Dashie's in trouble, i might as well go pull her out of what ever mess she's gotten herself into. Besides, don't want her having all the fun.."
"Hmm.." said Celestia pondering these events. "I want you to take Discord with you. His magic could prove useful." at this every one in the room stared at her in amazement.
POP! "Okay this needs to stop, i was in the middle of a bath involving marshmallow fluff." he said as he glared at Celestia.
"You are needed for official Canterlot business." Celestia glared right back at him "I need you to to help Goodlands here with retrieving the girls."
"You want me to help him? Are you serious? Wait what happened to the girls?" he asked in bewilderment, she quickly showed him the letter. "The Jackal? There's a name i haven't... but what does he want with the girls?" he asked quickly.
"No idea, perhaps its to get at me. I want you to accompany them and bring them back to me." she said her face falling slightly "please." shock crossed his face.
"Oh fine, but we're going to need more then just him." he said pointing at Goodlands.
"I'm going to, ya know." said Spike quickly.
"As am I." said Gilda
"Still, we're going to need more help. If i know this rabid mongrel as well as i think i do, he'll throw everything at us, as soon as we enter his chamber. We're going to need more power then this.. Uh no offense." he said looking over at them.
"Fine." she said a stern look coming over her face. "TRIXIE!" she shouted out loud, to which a small unicorn mare stepped into the room.
"The Great and Powerful TRRIXIE has arrived." she said upon entering the room.
"Seriously?" asked Discord not hiding his doubt one bit. "This is your help?" he held a thumb up over his shoulder at her.
"The Great and Powerful TRRIXIE is more then capable of handling any challenge." she boasted.
This garnered uproarious laughter from Discord. Even Spike smacked his forehead.
"We're doomed." Spike said under his breath..
"Um, not to complicate matters here" said Gilda "but I'm not sure i can carry all of them on my back."
"Your right. We'll need another. A pegasi would do. But where to find one on such short notice." asked Celestia thinking out loud. A loud crash outside the window made them all turn.
"Your mail your highness." said a small pegasi entering into the room via the window she'd just smacked into.
"Derpy, good timing." she said looking at the small pegasi.
"DOOMED!" said Spike, this time not even trying to conceal his voice. This sent Discord into hysterics.
"I always deliver your mail at this time your highness. Do you have a letter that needs to go out?" she asked in her sing song voice.
"No, but i do have a request of you. We need another flyer, and you'll do perfectly." she said glaring at Discord again. "Will you help them on their quest?" she asked.
"Indubitably.." she said looking over at the others. "Where are we going?" she asked.
"To mount Doom." muttered Spike.
"Yes what is this quest you wish to send The Great and Powerful TRRIXIE, and these other fools on anyway?" asked Trixie to Celestia.
"I need you all to go with Goodlands, Spike and Gilda here and save the girls from certain danger." she said looking very serious.
"You expect The Great and Powerful TRRIXIE to go and help Twilight Sparkle?" a look of disgust crossed her face.
"Only if Trixie wishes to fulfill her promise." she said with a wry smile.
"Very well." she grumbled as her face turned red.
"Well shall we crack then chaps?" Discord asked in a very sing-song voice "I have an entire Mr. Ed collection i'm supposed to be watching." he said walking towards the balcony. They all nervously nodded and headed in the same direction.
"Good luck every, uh one." said Celestia looking uneasy.
Spike hesitantly climbed up onto the back of Derpy, Discord abruptly and hastily picked up Trixie and then proceeded to cradle her in his arms, much to her annoyance, and Gilda flew over and picked up Goodlands with her talons, then they headed out towards the island of the Jackal.

Goodlands couldn't remember ever being part of a stranger crowd of misfits. Derpy with Spike on her back, followed by Discord holding an uneasy Trixie, and Gilda flying with Goodlands under her who had to constantly look forward, else he felt uneasy. It was a long way down if she suddenly got tired and dropped him. He would then be Flatlands he thought. This didn't help.
"So how did come to be in Celestia's Service?" Goodlands heard Discord asking Trixie as he flew on his back.
"I was put into service to make up for my misdeeds against Twilight and her friends. Look could you just watch where you're going? I'm sick enough as is. I don't particularly like heights." she said as she looked ahead, her legs trembling visibly even from this distance.
"Suit's yourself." he responded and dropped his head back.

After several hour's of flight, Spike doing his best to give Derpy directions, to which she'd try and follow without making him queasy. Spike finally noticed a small island off in the distance, which made Gilda remark that she was glad, as she was getting tired, and didn't want to drop Goodlands, which didn't make him feel any better. They soon touched down upon the small island. All of them glad to be on solid ground. Except Discord who still stayed in the air, and just floated along beside them.
"It's this way." said Spike his legs shaking after what had to be a rather interesting ride. "Come on the girls could be in serious trouble." so off they hurried towards the same direction as he'd come last time he were here. They soon came to the same crevice in the mountain he'd seen before and slowly entered it. They each worked their way through, again Discord was the exception who just popped himself on the other side. They walked as Spike nervously explained the difference of stalactites and stalagmites. They kept going until they came to the glowing mushroom that had stumped Twilight, this of course Discord plucked and ate at once.
"Illuminating." he exclaimed as they all stared at him.
"What is wrong with you?" asked Trixie starring at Discord in disgust.
"My dear pony, i don't know where to even begin answering that question." he said with a large grin on his face.
"Well, don't. We haven't the time to ponder that perplexing conundrum. Let us be on our way." said Goodlands moving between the both of them. They headed off once again toward the large opening where Spike had seen Monsoon. Upon entering the clearing they spotted the girls all going about in manual labor, shifting rock and moving it from one place to another.
"Twilight." exclaimed Spike as he ran over to her. She was using her magic to move rocks, and paid him no attention. "Twilight its me. Spike." he said coming over and standing right in front of her. "Twilight?" he asked waving his arm in front of her face.
"She will not answer. She is currently busy, can you not see?" asked a booming voice. They all turned to look at the newcomer as he made his way towards them. "Sadly these ponies are not much use. That beast was much better at the task then these girls will ever be, but they are doing the best that they can." he held his arms out to show that each was working tirelessly.
"You will release them, and now. No pony should have to be put through this... Why have you done this? What have you done to them?" asked Goodlands stepping forward.
"Who are you? You are not Celestia." he said looking over at him, then noticing Discord "You.." he exclaimed "when did you become the old nags lapdog? It would seem she has taken over your mind as well. No worries." he pointed his finger at Discord "That one!" he shouted.
Immediately Twilight turned her head towards Discord and used her magic on him, he was caught in a strange pink bubble and moved over to a place in the wall. He tried to get out as she did so, but every time he'd try to disappear he'd reappear right back inside of the bubble.
"Twilight what are you doing?!" he exclaimed shock on his face. "We're friends don't you remember? Why are you doing what he wants?" Wham! He was stuck inside a strange prison encapsulated in the rock wall.
"Keep trying if you might. Every time you use your magic, the cells will simply drain it from you." The Jackal gave a small laugh.
"Twilight snap out of it, come on we're here to get you out of here. We're going to take you home." said Spike pushing on her chest, but to no avail.
"She cannot hear you, little nuisance. The Jackal has her now." at this he gave a maniacal sort of laugh but it didn't last very long. "All of your friends are now under the control of The Jackal."
"No!" exclaimed Spike "this cant be. So what is she a zombie then?" he asked glaring at the Jackal.
"No little nuisance, she's simply doing what her master has commanded her to do." he grinned wickedly. He pointed his finger at Spike, then Twilight used her magic to fling him away. It was if he were a stone she was simply discarding. Luckily Derpy caught him mid flight and she put him down in front of the others. As the Jackal had pointed at Spike Goodlands noticed that the necklace around her neck glowed a strange orange color, which made him ponder if those necklaces where the cause of all of this.
"Why? Why do this?" asked Goodlands once again stalling for time, and to get answers.
"The Jackal has already explained it, These ponies stole his beast of burden. That Monsoon was a much better digger then these ponies will ever be. Thus she had to be replaced. They took her away from here, and so they have taken her place." he looked coldly at Goodlands while he explained all of this.
"How? How did you corrupt their minds?" he asked pointing at Twilight.
"You see they are not wearing simple accessories, those allow one to control the minds of another. A gift from a pony with a deep-seated grudge against a certain entity that should be on display there." he said pointing to Discord. "This pony wants revenge, and is willing to pay a lot to receive their just reward. The specification were not relevant, so the Jackal did not ask." again he smiled.
"But how did you know where to find us?" asked Spike his teeth beginning to show in the form of a growl.
"These ponies gave away their home location. Does the little nuisance not remember the last time he encountered The Jackal? Twice two of them said the name of their hometown. Ponyville!" he said this last bit with a growl. "The Jackal sent word to this pony about the 'encounter' and that pony sent the ever useful Scales there in order to bring thee Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Twilight Sparkle here. He gave them the necklaces as he was ordered to, and they were to come here when no one was around to see them leave. The Jackal believes that Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Twilight Sparkle, carried the Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity here. Once they had arrived they were put to work immediately." he spoke of this as though he were explaining one plus one to a three year old.
"My brother?" asked Spike "But how did he get to Ponyville?" he asked.
"The Jackal does not know, nor does he care. That was dealt with, from his side."
"What exactly are you looking for here though?" cut in Goodlands, to which Jackal turned his eyes back towards him.
"There is a core here somewhere on this island. Once The Jackal finds it and unlocks the power contained within, The Jackal will become immortal. Then The Jackal will have enough power to remove any obstacle in his search for the fabled objects of power that are said to be scattered around Equestria. Once they have been found The Jackal will absorb their power, and have complete dominance over all." he grinned broadly.
"So you're doing all of this, just so you can rule the world." Goodlands asked.
"Of course." The Jackal said smoothly.