• Published 5th Oct 2015
  • 1,327 Views, 21 Comments

The Princess and The Seamstress - PortalJumper



A big political summit is coming up, and Luna needs help becoming a proper mare of the modern age. Thankfully, Rarity is always ready to lend a helping hoof.

  • ...
0
 21
 1,327

A Commission She Didn't Expect

The Princess and The Seamstress

Chapter 1: A Commission She Didn't Expect

"Sassy, have you gotten the new designs out to the windows yet?"

"Oh bobbins and bodkins, I haven't. Shan't be more than a moment, Rarity!" Rarity watched as Sassy Saddles hopped away from the counter to make her way to the back room of Canterlot Carousel, where all the newest designs she had cooked up were stored.

"I must say, Sassy, you certainly have learned quite a bit in such a short amount of time with me," she called to the back as she went back to looking over the racks. "You have my shelving system down to a tee! It took me almost three months to get it just right, and you've picked it up in just a few weeks."

"Well, that's only because I have such a marvelous teacher, Rarity. Especially after the grief I caused you with the opening and that Princess Dress fiasco, I figured I owed it to you to learn how you do things rather than try and assert myself on your design."

Seeing Sassy so diligently set herself to work gave Rarity's heart a flutter. It was always a bit nerve-wracking when she took these trips to Canterlot, but her apprentice's work in the shop never failed to bring her fears to rest. The Princess Dress had been quite the kerfuffle, but the way Sassy was laying the dresses so that every stitch was in place and every gem gleamed in the window light told her that she had made the right choice.

"Ooh, nicely done, Sassy," said Rarity as she looked over her protégé's hoofwork, "Especially on making sure that the 'Sequintessence' design is at the right angle so that it always catches the light. I couldn't have done any better myself!"

"Thank you very much, Rarity. We still have about 45 minutes before we have to open up," she added, gesturing to the wall clock. "What say we catch a quick breakfast? I know an absolutely marvelous little patisserie with the best butterscotch scones in all of Canterlot!"

"I wish I could, but there are still a few things I need to check up on here before we open up. If you could bring me back a scone and some youthberry and orange blossom tea, I would be forever in your debt." A flick of the horn drew her change purse out of her saddlebags, and she floated out five bits out to give to Sassy. "Here, I think this should cover it."

"Oh Rarity, you don't have to, this is my treat," said Sassy as she gave her boss' coins back to her. "You just get your work done and I'll be back in a tick!"

With a tinkle of the bell she was out the door, cantering down the street on her errand and giving Rarity a few precious moments of peace and quiet.

"It sure does feel nice to have somepony being generous to me for a change," she mused as she pulled out the ledgers from behind the counter. As much as she trusted Sassy with the day-to-day running of the business, Rarity liked to come up at least once a week to go over the inventory and check the books to make sure everything was in order. With the amount of bits some of her designs went for, it always payed to be careful with where the money goes. She had even gotten Twilight to teach her a basic teleportation spell so she could get from Ponyville to Canterlot without having to schedule the train every week.

"Hmm... seven orders for the Entrancement design, totaling one hundred and forty bits; eight Radiant Starlights totaling eighty bits... Business simply is booming, isn't it? Rarity, you clever fox, you've really done it this time haven't you..."

So lost in her work was she that she looked up with a start when a hoof rapped against the front door. She quickly levitated her glasses to the counter and went to answer it, slightly perturbed that somepony hadn't bothered to read the sign showing the opening and closing times.

"I do apologize, but we aren't open for business right now. If you'd like, you can come back in a half-hou—"

Rarity's canned sentence died coming out of her throat as her gaze craned upward to show, standing at her doorstep and resplendent in solar glory, Princess Celestia. Flanked by Princess Luna and a pair of Royal Pegasus Guards, she was the picture of elegance and grace.

And she was standing outside Rarity's shop.

"Oh my, I'm sorry, Rarity," began the princess sheepishly. "I must have missed the sign. Luna and I will come back later when you are actually open, if that suits your schedule better."

"No, nonono! Please come in, Your Highnesses! I was just going over the numbers for sales and whatnot, it's not nearly as important as the two of you! Please come in," she reiterated, opening the door wide and leading them in with a forehoof.

"Well, if you insist," said Celestia as she stooped under the lintel. Luna and the guards followed suit, casting approving glances around the store and its stock. "I do apologize for coming so early, but with the way our schedules are this is really the only time Luna and I get to walk through Canterlot together and see the business ponies setting up their wares."

"And when we saw the sign for Canterlot Carousel," interjected Luna, "the pair of us decided on the spot that we had to take a look for ourselves. Celestia has heard quite a lot about your Ponyville storefront from Twilight Sparkle's letters, but we've never had an opportunity to take in some of your couture. It often seems that we only ever travel to Ponyville when there is some sort of calamity at hoof."

"Well please take a look," Rarity said, doing her best to keep her voice level and knees upright. "Let me know if you see anything you like and I'll be more than happy to see that it makes you happy!"

"I'm sure you will," Celestia added with a chuckle. "Thank you for your hospitality and generosity."

As the princesses perused the store, Rarity's brain was running a mile a minute. The Royal Sisters themselves were in her shop, possibly thinking of buying some of her clothing! A sale to them could be as big a boon to her business as the Princess Dress was, before it became an absolute nightmare.

Still, the wait for one of them to come to her with a question was absolutely agonizing. She kept stealing glances at the wall clock and praying the princesses were gone before her regular clientele arrived; the mob that would crowd inside would be absolutely horrendous, and the last thing she needed was a call from the Fire Marshal about occupancy restrictions.

"Rarity, if I might borrow you for a moment?" Celestia called from the upper floor after what seemed to be an eternity. "I do believe that I've found what I am looking for."

"As do I," replied Luna from over by the changing rooms, "although there are a few design decisions I would like to request, if it isn't too much trouble."

"Oh, absolutely no trouble at all! I love when my customers offer up a challenge; it gives me a good opportunity to flex those sewing muscles."

Together the Sisters brought their selections, and it seemed that their public personas fit their personalities. The pair were holding selections from "Rarity's Royal Regalia," the collection she had opened up shop with. Celestia had Tripping The Light, the piece inspired by her, and Luna was similarly carrying her namesake piece, Over The Moon.

"Oh, these dresses are simply perfect for you two! You know, these pieces were inspired by the pair of you," Rarity added with a knowing glance.

"Really now?" asked Luna. "... Hmm, you know, I think I can see it now," she added as she looked over her dress, "Especially in the sparkles on the skirt. They match my mane in a most exquisite way."

"Back when I first set up shop in the city, I knew I would have to do something to attract the higher-class clients that are found in Canterlot. I agonized over the decision for days while they were getting the shop ready before I hit upon an absolutely marvelous idea; if I wanted the ponies of Canterlot to come, why not give them a line inspired by their city? I stayed up for two days straight designing the dresses, getting the fabrics and making sure they all worked together, and then viola! Rarity's Royal Regalia was born!"

"Well, it is simply humbling to be the reason these lovely gowns were created," Celestia said with a head bow. "I'm sure you'll need our measurements since we don't necessarily have the typical build of your customers. Should we set up somewhere?"

"Certainly, up on the center stage there is where I do my measuring and fitting. You go and get your tiara and other regalia taken care of while I discuss Luna's design choices. Luna, if you'll follow me to my inspiration station," she added, gesturing to the back room. Together they walked into the whirlwind of projects that was the back room while Celestia made small talk with her guards.

"So, tell me what it was you had in mind?" Rarity asked. "I'm certain you know your tastes better than I, and I want to make sure you're happy with... Your Highness, are you listening?"

When Rarity turned to address the younger sister she noticed that she was peering out the door with an intense gaze. Rarity herself just barely got a peek out before Luna slammed it shut and gave Rarity a worried glance.

"Princess, is something the matter?" Rarity asked, unsettled by Luna's sudden change in demeanor.

"In a manner of speaking, yes. What I am about to tell only stays between you, me, and the fabrics," Luna said as she gestured to the shots of cloth scattered about the room.

"Very well then; I pride myself on my discretion when it comes to my business," Rarity affirmed with a zip of a hoof over her mouth.

After a quick pause, Luna clutched at Rarity's shoulders with a look of absolute desperation on her face.

"I need your help!" pleaded the Princess. "Celestia and I are to be meeting with a series of dignitaries from all over the world for a political summit and I need help in making an appearance that will suit my station!"

"I-but you-WHAT!?" Rarity stammered. "Your highness, surely you of ALL ponies must be a veritable master of making appearances! You are one of the Royal Sisters of Equestria; this must be second nature to you."

"Normally, yes, I am as characteristically unflappable as my sister," Luna answered as she composed herself. "Unfortunately, there are a few certain guests that I would rather not have to run into but am being forced to."

"Oh, pish-posh! Surely you've had to deal with unpleasant ponies before? What makes these ones any different?"

"Oh, just the simple fact that they happen to be the Alicorns who reared Celestia and me and they see me as a failure to both them personally and our race as a whole because I turned into the living embodiment of darkness and disharmony over what was, at the end of the day, a jealous fit exacerbated by a bit of dark magic."

Rarity could feel her previous sense of dismissive self-confidence drain out of her as quickly as her jaw had dropped open. She tried to speak up but found that the words just wouldn't come out before Luna finished her statement.

"Does that properly elucidate the matter, Rarity?" Luna finished with a snort.

"It... does, Princess, and something tells me that this is going to be a much harder quandary to tackle than I thought. Why can't you go to Cadance or Twilight about this, maybe bring them with you to this summit?"

"It would do no good. They are both quite young Alicorns, still relatively new to their abilities and the burden that our race carries with it. Ursus and Gemini would see it as a sign of weakness if I were to use them to vouch for my good nature."

"I take it that they are your mother and father?" Rarity asked

"In a sense." Luna replied curtly. "Due to our long lives and the fact that Alicornhood can be conferred by magic as well as by birth, we tend to not have the same familial ties that the other pony races have. Celestia and I were more like their wards. They taught us, fed and clothed us, gave us a home; all the regular amenities you'd expect of parents, but there wasn't a strong bond like you may have with your parents or with Sweetie Belle."

"That sounds positively horrid," replied Rarity. "To not have anypony who really cares for you during your formative years must've been hard on the both of you."

"Well, that's why I'm thankful I had Celestia. She was such a firm bastion of kindness and friendship, I relied on her almost as much as I did on our caretakers." With a calming sigh, she continued, "But that is a story for another day. I need your help, Rarity. You are easily the most graceful and genteel pony I know of, and I doubt anypony could help me the way you could. Can you do this for me?"

Rarity mulled it over for a good while, taking in the pros and cons of what the Princess was asking. This would be a monumental undertaking to be sure; there was all the cultural and historical information on Alicorns she would have to learn, in addition to working out some sort of schedule with Luna to ensure that they could study in a clandestine manner.

But at the end of the day, what sort of bearer of the Element of Generosity would she be if she said no?

"... Alright Luna, I'll do everything I can to make sure you are prepared for this. No matter the challenge."

No sooner had the words left her lips was she swept up in a great big hug, one disproportionately strong compared to the size of the pony giving it.

"Thank you so much! This means the absolute world to me!" Rarity had never seen Luna so happy, and it made the burden she had just placed on herself a little bit easier to bear.

"It's no trouble at all, Your Highness," answered Rarity. "I'm going to need a few days to do some research on Alicorn customs, but please come by the shop next week and I'll be here ready and raring to go."

"Certainly," Luna answered. "I'll clear out my schedule for that evening so we can do our work in secret. How does nine o'clock at night sound?"

"Absolutely splendid, Your Highn—"

"Rarity," interjected Luna, "there's no need for such formality. You are my teacher and I your pupil, so you can just call me Luna. Now, about those dress alterations," she added.

"Yes, let's get back to that," Rarity said. She had a feeling she wouldn't be doing much sewing for a while, so it would be best to enjoy it while she could.

* * *