• Published 6th Jun 2012
  • 5,373 Views, 13 Comments

Rarity and Sweetie Belle: Adventures in Sisterhood - NovaForce2157



Rarity and Sweetie Belle strengthen their sisterly bonds in different stories each chapter.

  • ...
8
 13
 5,373

Chapter 1: Sisterly Love

Chapter 1: Sisterly Love

Rarity was working at a break-neck pace, sewing and hemming, adding ribbon and gems, and attaching ribbon and lace. She had to fill this order perfectly, and she only had until tomorrow! Sweetie Belle watched her sister work; the analysing look of a diligent student on her face.
Sweetie watched the pure-white unicorn run back and forth, left and right as she rushed to complete her project. She was talking to herself, nearly hyperventilating.
"Sis, maybe you should take a break. You don't look very well."
"No, I simply can't stop now! If I don't complete this order in time, my reputation would be ruined! And that would be the WORST. POSSIBLE. THING!"
"What do you have left to do?"
"I still have to trim the ribbon, bedazzle the collar, and add the fringe!"
"That doesn't sound like it would take very long. You should take a break, if not the afternoon off. You can always finish tomorrow."
"I suppose it wouldn't hurt. If I overwork myself, my craft might suffer!"
"Get out of here, then. Go take a bath or a nap or something." Sweetie Belle pushed her marshmallow sister up the stairs with her head. She knew that Rarity had had a stressful week, and that this order was very important to her.
When Rarity reached the top of the stairs, she turned around.
"Thank you for looking out for me, Sweetie. I might work myself to death if it weren't for you."
With a small smile, she turned and went down the hall to relax.


Sweetie Belle looked at her sister's craft. It was pretty, but it was still basic for a Rarity dress. She remembered what still had to be done, and looked at the customer's request.
"Hmmm... I bet I could finish this for her. I have the notes and the to-do list..."
Her mind was made up. Sweetie snipped and cut. She shaped and trimmed the ribbon to perfection. She bedazzled the collar, carefully placing each gem in exactly the right place. She added fringe and ribbon and lace, and, as her own little touch, she added a light coat of glitter to the cloak.
It was perfect. With Rarity's framework, and her vision, Sweetie had made the most beautiful dress she had ever seen.


Sweetie Belle hid behind some rolls of fabric in the studio room, and waited for Rarity to descend the stairs. Sure enough, her older sister trotted down the staircase, about to return to her craft.
Rarity walked with her eyes closed, humming Pinkie's favourite "Smile Smile Smile". When she reached her work area, she opened her eyes. And froze.
'Here it comes' Sweetie thought, almost unable to contain her glee.
Rarity panicked. She started hyperventilating, turning back and forth rapidly. She started to twitch.
'This isn't the right reaction.' Sweetie worried.
Rarity's pupils shrank to pinpricks. "SWEETIE BELLE!!!" she screamed.
Sweetie emerged from her hiding place slowly, trying to hide her eyes behind her cotton candy bangs.
"Yes Rarity?" she whimpered.
"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? IT TOOK ME ALL WEEK TO MAKE THAT DRESS!"
"But I-"
"THIS ISN'T AT ALL WHAT MY CLIENT ORDERED! A WEEK'S WORTH OF WORK, DOWN THE DRAIN!"
"I was just trying to help-"
"OUT! JUST GET OUT! I DON'T WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN!"
Sweetie ran into the kitchen, hid under the sink and cried.


'She's never yelled at me like that before.' Sweetie thought, warm tears streaming down her face. 'I was only trying to help.'
'Maybe she's right.' she thought as a fresh wave of tears engulfed her. 'Maybe I should just leave. She's better off never seeing me again. I'm just a burden for her anyway.'
"Sweetie Belle?" a muffled voice asked from the other side of the cabinet. "Are you in there?"
"Leave me alone! I'm never coming out!" Sweetie called back.
"I want you to come out here with me." Rarity said in a kind voice.
"Why?" sniffled the filly. "So I can screw something else up?"
"Sweetie Belle." Rarity said, in a tone so tender and sadly longing that it would break any stallion's heart. She opened the cabinet, and gently pulled her sister out.
"Sweetie, I can make a new dress. That's my job. I can probably manage to throw something together by tomorrow. It's you that I can't replace." she brushed Sweetie's pink-and-purple mane out of her eyes.
Sweetie looked up into her sister's sapphire eyes. She stayed in eye contact for a very long time, and then fell apart. She sobbed into her sister's chest, spilling tears onto her pelt.
"You are the best sister I could ever ask for!" she bawled. "I love you so much!"
"I love you too Sweetie Belle. You are the greatest little sister in Celestia's kingdom, and a wonderful friend. I love you more than you could possibly imagine. And I will never stop loving you for as long as I live." she embraced her sister tightly, letting her vent her emotions into her coat.
Sweetie Belle started to calm down, and Rarity kissed her on the forehead twice. Sweetie stretched up and kissed her sister on the cheek so lovingly and tenderly, Rarity herself almost started to cry. After one final squeeze, the older asked the younger: "You did make a beautiful dress, Sweetie. In fact, it may be the prettiest dress I've ever seen. If it's okay with you, I'd like to wear it every once in a while. It's just that the customer wanted something simpler. Would you like to make a new dress with me?"
"Are you serious?" Sweetie asked in awe, "Are you sure?"
"I'm positive." her sister replied.


The two sisters snipped and stitched, cutting fabric and sewing it together. They worked all evening, and all morning Friday to complete the dress. They successfully finished it on time, and the customer, who turned out to be Mrs. Cake, thought it was wonderful.
"You should hire her as an assistant!" she said with a wink.
"You know, Mrs. Cake..." Rarity said, nuzzling her sister's muzzle with her own as her client left the store "I just might."