• Published 6th Jun 2012
  • 5,365 Views, 13 Comments

Rarity and Sweetie Belle: Adventures in Sisterhood - NovaForce2157



Rarity and Sweetie Belle strengthen their sisterly bonds in different stories each chapter.

  • ...
8
 13
 5,365

Chapter 2: Sweetie Belle's Special Talent

AWESOME CONTEST TIME!!! I'm no good at songwriting, so PM me some creations of your own. The best lyrics by the end of July will be put in the story, along with YOUR NAME!!!



Chapter 2: Sweetie Belle's Special Talent

Sweetie Belle watched as her sister examined her newest creation, deciding what colour of ribbon to put on it.
"Can I help, sis?" she asked.
"No!" Rarity said, perhaps a little too quickly. Sweetie Belle's face sank, her eyes becoming watery. "Oh no no no no no," she said, trying to rectify her hastiness, "I just mean that I don't need help right now. You know I would let you help any other time, but this is an important order, and it must be filled just so. Fancypants will kill me if I don't pick the right shade of yellow out of the seven basic tints. I just need you to stay out of the way for a little while."
"Oh. Okay." Sweetie perked up a little, but Rarity could tell that she was disappointed that she couldn't help her big sister.
"Actually, Sweetie Belle, there is a way you could help." she said, inspiration striking.
"Really?" Sweetie Belle looked almost like a puppy, her eagerness showing in every part of her body. She was practically vibrating. Rarity made a mental note to let Doctor Whooves look into that. "Yes. It's entirely too quiet for me to work. Why don't you sing your big sister a song so she doesn't get bored."
Sweetie was filled with mixed emotions. Her big sister was proud enough of her to ask her to sing? Sweetie loved to sing. On the other hoof, Sweetie didn't like to sing in front of people. Rarity was her sister, but she was stills somepony other than the CMC, and she wasn't even quite comfortable singing in front of them. What if Rarity didn't like her song?
"Sweetie Belle?" Rarity's voice broke her trance. It was now or never. Sweetie Belle opened her mouth, took a breath, and began to sing.


"*Enter Awesome Sweetie Belle Song here*"


Sweetie ended her song, opened her eyes, and saw Rarity almost in tears.
"What's wrong, Rarity? Was it a bad song? Am I not a good singer? I'm sorry, I shouldn't have even tried in the first place." Sweetie hung her head, waiting for the inevitable stuttering lie, or something that was supposed to be encouraging but was actually hurtful.
Rarity lifted her little sister's head with her hoof. Sweetie Belle was shocked-her big sister was crying, but she was smiling!
"Sweetie Belle, you haven't done anything wrong. That was the most beautiful thing that I have ever heard! You certainly have a talent for singing! Did you write that song yourself?"
"Y-Yes." Sweetie said, still a little surprised at her sister's reaction.
"How long ago?"
"Um... Well, I kind of wrote it one word at a time while I was singing it." Sweetie said, not sure if that was an appropriate answer.
Rarity held her sister tight. "Luna's stars, Sweetie Belle, you have an amazing talent. I don't think anyone else in Equestria can write and sing like you!"
Sweetie Belle's heart swelled with pride. Her big sister thought she had talent! She was so happy; she almost started to cry too.
"I love you sis." she said, and she hugged her big sister back.


"You know, you should enter the Ponyville talent show."
"Oh please, sis. You know how that worked out last time."
Sweetie Belle and Rarity were sitting at the kitchen table, eating grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. Sweetie had been allowed to help cook this time, but Rarity was careful to select her duties. She was allowed to assemble the sandwiches, but not flip them. She could add the seasonings to the soup, but not stir. Together they had managed to make a meal that hadn't destroyed the whole kitchen.
"Yes, but the last time you entered, you entered with your friends, and you all tried to be something you weren't. This time, you'd enter by yourself; doing something you knew you were good at."
"I don't know, sis. I'm not really comfortable singing in front of an audience."
"Oh, is that all? Well, we can fix that fairly quick."
"Can we?"
"Sweetheart, you're talking to the mare that got Fluttershy to be a model."
"Oh. I suppose you're right. There's no possible way that I'm a worse case than Fluttershy."


Sweetie Belle gulped. Her sister had assembled an audience of herself, the remaining Crusaders, and Fluttershy. She knew that there was no way that anyone here would laugh at her or make fun of her, but she was still nervous. She just didn't do crowds, and if three was company, four was far too many.
"Any time you're ready, dear." her sister called.
Sweetie took a deep breath, and sang.
It was a short song, something she made up when she was very small, but it did the trick. She showed off her vocals for a minute or two, and ended the song.
Applause erupted.
"A beautiful performance!" shouted Rarity.
"That's my girl!" Scootaloo whistled.
"That there's the purdiest dern song Ah've herd since Doggy Parton!" Apple Bloom yelled.
"Yay!" Fluttershy "shouted".


This time it was bigger. Rainbow Dash and Applejack had showed up, bringing Twilight and Pinkie Pie with them. Sweetie wasn't sure if she could sing to the Mane Six and the CMC combined. That was eight people, and four was scary enough. She had gained a little confidence from her first performance, however, and as soon as her sister said "Ready when you are.” she sang.
This song was a little more complex. It was something she wrote just one year ago. She had planned on sharing it with the CMC, but their talent-a-thon had been rained out that year. After all, Applejack's treehouse didn't have windows.
When she finished, she once again heard the sound of a happy audience.
"You got spunk, kid!” Rainbow Dash called from the audience.
"Ah haven't herd somethin' like that since Granny Smith was young!" Applejack yelled.
Sweetie Belle blushed. Granny Smith's lullabies were legendary. She had heard a recording of Granny singing while baking pies in her youth, and it was stunning.
Pinkie Pie didn't say anything, she was taking notes. Scribbling furiously, she was getting ideas for a new song, and Sweetie had given her a lot to write about.
"Sweetie Belle, that was amazing." Twilight commented. "Now do you see why I was confused when you told me Scootaloo was singing last year?"
"Hey!"
"Um... no offence kid."
"Yeah, you're probably right." Scootaloo said.
And everyone laughed.


This was it, the big night. Sweetie Belle was wearing the dress she had finished for Rarity a week ago. She smiled as it reminded her if how much her sister loved her.
"It's almost your turn." Rarity said. "Are you ready?"
"I-I think so." Sweetie said. Then after hearing the applause for a previous act, she hid behind her sister's legs. "No. No I'm not ready at all."
"Come on, Sweetie. You've practiced for this. It'll be easy. You just have to try."
"Those are grown ponies, sitting there, judging me."
"You go out there, and make those ponies jealous. The only ones judging you are the ones who don't deserve your voice anyway! Your sister and your friends love you very much, and we believe in you! Now go out there and sing." she pushed her sister toward the stage.
Sweetie took a deep breath, trotted onto the stage, and gave the performance of her life.


As she walked offstage, she hugged her sister tight.
"Thanks for the nudge, sis. I don't know if I could have made it through without you."
"What are sisters for?" Rarity nuzzled her sister's neck as they embraced.
"Sweetie Belle, I think you found your talent." Twilight said.
"What?" Sweetie Belle asked, then, processing the words, looked at her flank.
It was blank for a moment, and then, in a flash of white light and glitter, a cutie mark appeared. It was a microphone with purple and blue gemstones around it.
"Oh thank you sis!" Sweetie redoubled her hold on Rarity.
"Why on earth are you thanking me?" her big sister asked.
"Because if you hadn't believed in me, and helped me overcome my fear, I never would have found my talent!" She kissed her sister on the cheek, and nuzzled her face against Rarity's.