• Published 1st Oct 2015
  • 3,621 Views, 45 Comments

Aria's Challenge - Gear Works



Aria decides to be a bully to get what she wants. But there's one student that she couldn't break, and she hate him the most. When they are forced to work on a project together, she learns that there's a better way to get what she wants.

  • ...
7
 45
 3,621

Who's The Bully Here?

My name is Gear Works, but some people call me Gears. I’m what you would call a geek, because of my love of geeky things, but I don’t look like the type with the nerdy glasses and pocket protectors. I look more like to average person. I attended a school in Baltimare where I was bullied a lot during middle school. But I started to learn how to deal with bullies by not giving in to them. When I started high school, some bullies almost crossed the line with me, until some other students about their size stepped in and made sure they didn’t bully me again. That didn’t stop them from trying again. When my parents decided to go on a missionary trip, they were worried that things would get worse without them around. So they decided to transfer me to Canterlot High, where I was told it was a safer school to attend.

I learned during my first year at Canterlot High that some strange happenings were going on. Something about Equestrian magic appearing at the school. I mean if you told others that there were students who became fire demon princesses or mind controlling sirens, they would thing you were crazy. Well, it has happen, and I was lucky enough to avoid those encounters. Why, you ask? Another problem in my life is that I have a hard time finding a girlfriend, and for many reasons that I don’t want to get into. So I never went to the Fall Formal or the Battle of the Bands.

It’s been two weeks since the Battle of the Bands, and I’m just returning to school from a weekend of being by myself, making my way to my English class. I haven’t had much luck making friends for a while. Well, expect one who I met as a bully, before she was reformed, so to speak.

“Morning, Gears.” I looked up to see Sunset Shimmer looking refreshed as ever. She was known as the biggest bully in the school, but every time she tried to get into my head, I didn’t even budge. After a few weeks, she gave up on messing with me to focus on others because my willpower was strong. It wasn’t until after the Fall Formal that she was different. It was like the roles were reversed. She wasn’t bullying anyone, and everyone else was giving her mean stares. When I had a chance to talk to her alone, she explained what happened back in the Fall Formal and how she learned from her mistakes. The only problem was that no one was willing to give her a second chance...well, five other girls did at least. I promised that I would be willing to give her that chance and she became my first friend at this school, even if everyone else didn’t like her.

“Morning, Sunset. How did your science research go?”

“Don’t even remind me,” she replied. “I’m still trying to get the rainbow blast out of my system.”

“So, you have no idea where your magic comes from when you ‘pony’ up?” I asked.

“I might have to look outside the box if I plan to find those answers,” she replied. “So, how was your weekend?”

“Same as always,” I replied in a dull voice.

“How come whenever the weekend comes around, you look so depressed? There has to be something to do out there, besides going to Sugarcube Corner and grabbing a quick bite to eat. Is there something that has been bothering you?”

Just as she said that, a blue girl with the ponytail walked in with a hop and a smile. Her name was Sonata Dusk, one of the three so-called sirens that tried to take over the school during the Battle of the Bands. Since they lost their powers that night, they were believed to be tossed out of the school, until Sunset saw them and asked Principal Celestia to give them a second chance, hoping they will do the same thing that Sunset did after the Fall Formal. It was pure luck that everyone liked her more than her sisters because of her bubbly personality. She even got herself a boyfriend in a couple of days. Don’t know who the lucky guy was, but I guess I missed out on picking up a girlfriend easily.

As I was staring at her, Sunset picked up on why I felt so depressed every weekend. “I see. You still having a hard time finding a girlfriend.” I nodded. “I know I told you a few girls that I know to look into, but you said that there was something that separated you from each of them. I don’t know why you can at least ask one of them out.”

“Because I still have that fear of being rejected in front of everyone,” I said. “And if I recall, they were all members of The Rainbooms, who had to perform to stop the sirens’ magic.”

“I know,” she replied. “I guess you want someone who’s more normal, and we’re not as normal, with our ‘pony’ powers and all. Well, with everything coming back to normal, again, I can see if my friends know anyone who would be right for you. Best I can do after what you did for me.”

“This coming from a former unicorn, I’m grateful for your help,” I said.

It was after English class that I was making my way to my next class when I hear a voice calling me.

“Hey, Gears. Wait up. I want to ask you something?” I looked behind me to see Sonata running towards me, waving her hand. “Sunset said that you have been having a hard time finding a girlfriend.”

“That’s true,” I replied.

“Well, she told me why you won’t ask any members of the Rainbooms, so I was wondering if you would ask one of my sisters out,” she said.

“I’m sorry, but I have met your “sisters”, and I don’t see any chance of that happening.”

Sonata put on her sad face and said, “But why? Adagio would be nice to be with.”

“Adagio still likes to focus on her image,” I said. “She’s just like Rarity and her fashion sense.”

“Well, what about Aria?” she asked me.

“You have got to be joking,” I said. “Did you forget what happened the first day the three of you came to this school?”


I remember back to that day when they first came her. I was making my way to the computer lab when I saw Sunset coming my way.

“Hey, Sunset. I just heard you name being called on the intercom.”

“I know,” she replied. “I’m getting to show some new students the school. Wish me luck in making some new friends that don’t know about my past.”

“If they’re single girls, you know what to do,” I said.

“Don’t worry. I haven’t forgotten about our promise,” she said as she was making her way to the lobby.

It was after I finished what I needed to do at the computer lab that I was making my way out of the room when I bumped into a girl beyond the door.

“Hey, watch it, loser.” I looked to see that I crashed into a purple girl with pigtails.

I got back up and said, “Sorry, didn’t see you there. I was in a hurry.”

“Well, you should be sorry,” replied the purple girl.

“Hey, take it easy on my friend. He said he was sorry,” Sunset said in my defense. I noticed that this was the group that Sunset was giving a tour to. The others were a blue girl with a ponytail and a golden girl with big, puffy hair.

“Well, tell your friend that he should show some respect,” she replied.

“That’s enough, Aria,” the golden girl spoke, stopping the purple girl from causing any trouble. She looked at me and said, “Sorry if my sister was being rude. She has a hard time getting use to new people.”

“That’s because she acts that way to everyone,” said the blue girl.

“Oh, shut up, Sonata,” replied the purple girl.

“Will the two of you just shut up!” the golden girl said, giving them a mean stare.

“Well, I need to be on my way,” I said. “Hope you enjoy the tour.”


“Oh, that’s right,” Sonata said. “I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me.”

And at some point, she’s going to forget what I told her again.

“But don’t you have shop class with both Adagio and Aria at the end of the day?” Sonata asked.

“Yes,” I replied, “but Aria has been acting like a bully ever since you lost your powers. She’s already been forcing her partner to do all the work in our last pairing.”

“And you were paired with Adagio, right?” she added. “She showed me her queen chess piece, and said that you made a knight chess piece.”

“You are right about that,” I added. “She was able to catch on to the programming in creating the piece, but I didn’t feel a strong connection with her. I just don’t think it would work out with the both of us.”

“Well, I tried anyway,” she said in disappointment. “If I come up with anyone else, I’ll let you know.” And she just went on her way in a cheerful mood.

I decided to make my way to my next classes before heading to the cafeteria for lunch. There were times I spend it up in the library trying to catch up on my studying, but this time, I didn’t have any catching up to do. I was able to find a table to sit at, by myself. So I took out my sandwich and drink that I always do for lunch and just pass the time before my next class. Sunset would ask me to join her and her friends, but I felt like I stick out as the only guy in the group. Plus, the former sirens were sitting with them. That included Aria, who I just wanted to stay away from, because she was always acting like a bully to others, and I didn’t want to stir up any trouble. As I was eating my lunch, I noticed that Adagio was walking my way.

“Is this seat taken, Gears?” she said. I just shook my head, and she went to sit down next to me. “So Sonata tells me that you are having a hard time finding a girlfriend.” I placed my hand on my face in disgust. “I would be willing to take you out on a date, but she does bring up a good point. If I wanted a boyfriend, you wouldn’t be the type for me. I mean, you do look cute, but I want someone who’s better. No offense.”

“None taken,” I replied. “You always wanted to focus on your image more than anything else after what happened. No offense.”

“Nice counterattack,” she said. “Now I understand why you handle bullies with ease.”

“So, did you come over to ask me out or bully me?” I asked.

She let out a sigh and said, “It’s not like me to act like this, but I’m worried about Aria’s approach. I mean, Sonata got her bubbly personality to gain everyone’s trust, and she was able to get a boyfriend that quickly. Don’t know what they see in each other. And I have been trying to use my...body...to gain their trust, but I don’t think I’m doing a good job.”

“Well, I would think with your good looks, you can still win a guy’s heart, even if you don’t have a siren’s song,” I said.

“Very funny,” she replied. “But Aria’s idea of forcing others to do what she wants is going too far. She’s been bullying geeks, nerds, and weaklings as easy targets, without anyone else noticing. And if I recall, you’re a geek as well.”

“So what are you trying to say, anyway?” I said.

“Help her understand that there’s a better way. I don’t know how, but I don’t want to see her expelled from school for her actions,” she requested.

“I only just refuse what any bully asks me to do. I can’t just make them change who they are. That’s for them to decide.” Adagio started to get out of her seat and turned away before I spoke again. “But thanks for telling me this. At least I know what to expect for her in shop class. Maybe she will find out for herself what she needs to do, before it’s too late.”

“Well, thanks for listening to me,” she said. “I’ll see you in shop class. And I hope we work together on our next pairing. Somehow, I’ve become a fast learner from you.”


I was in shop class, where Mr. Iron Will was going to assign our new pairings for the next two weeks at a new station. The last two weeks I was paired with Adagio working on plastic crafting, where we made our own chess pieces. Aria was working with another student working on electronics, or more likely, forcing him to do her part of the work. As the parings were being made, Iron Will was about to announce Aria and Adagio’s pairing.

“Adagio, you will be working on wood working with Bright Idea. Aria, you will be working on computer programming with Gears.”

“WHAT?” Aria said. “I have to work with him?”

“Iron Will has made the pairings. Aria doesn’t like it, then Iron Will can give Aria a failing grade. That what Aria wants?”

“Fine, I’ll work with him,” Aria said.

Aria and me went to the computer station where we were to create a basic program that Iron Will wants us to work on. Aria was not pleased with working with me. She knew this because we have a tendency of running in to each other. She always try to blame me and threaten me, but I just made some counter comment to throw her off, making her more angry.

“Look,” Aria quietly said, “I would like to get a passing grade, so I hope you plan on doing all the work. If you don’t, then...”

“Then what?” I quietly cut her off in response. “You’ll beat me up? Or is it something worse.” She gave me her mean look. “Look, don’t expect me to do all the work for you like the last guy. You want a passing grade, then we work together, whether you like it of not.”

So I grabbed the programming book and laid it in from of her. I started to show her what she needed to learn, and all she did was let it go in one ear and out the other. When I ask her to show me how it was done, she said she “couldn’t understand”. The both of us were getting nowhere before class ended. Now I need to figure out how to make her understand before the both of us get a failing grade in class.


Next morning, I went to school, still wondering how I can get Aria to understand. With that on my mind, I didn’t realize that Sunset was trying to get my attention.

“Gears, is everything OK? You look out of it. Is something wrong with you?”

“Oh, I know, I know, I know,” Sonata said. “It’s because he’s paired up with Aria in shop class.”

“How did you know that?” I asked.

“Because she wouldn’t stop talking about how she has to work with you,” she replied.

“Is that a good thing or a bad thing?” Sunset asked.

“I don’t know,” Sonata replied. “All I know is that she won’t stop talking about him.”

“It’s a bad thing, Sunset,” I said. “She’s trying to make me do all the work for her. I’m trying to get her to learn the stuff, but she doesn’t give a ‘you know what’ about it.”

“Well, I’m sure you can find a way to make it work,” Sunset said.

“Thanks for your support,” as I rolled my eyes.


Day by day, I was dealing with the same problem with Aria in Shop class, and the two of us was getting nowhere in getting our assignment somewhat done. When I came to school on Friday, I knew I was running out of time in getting my shop assignment done, and trying to make it happen in under a week felt like it was impossible. As I came to the school entrance, Adagio stopped me from entering.

“Look, I can see you are having a hard time working with Aria in Shop class, and I know both of you have one more week to get the assignment done,” she said.

“And I haven’t made much progress in getting the assignment like I have in previous assignments,” I said. “How am I able to get her to work on it instead of leaving it to me.”

“Remember when I asked for your help in making her understand that there has to be a better way?” I nodded. “Just standing up to her isn’t enough to solve the problem.”

“So you want me to just give in to her demands?”

She shook her head. “You need to find some leverage to make her learn.”

“And how am I supposed to do that?”

“I don’t know. Maybe…take her out on a date.”

“ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! How is that supposed to help?”

“Make her see who you are…the real you. I know it sounds crazy, but if she can understand you better, maybe she can change. You have been having a hard time finding a girlfriend, Sunset told me. And the weekend is around the corner. You want to spend it by yourself worrying how to get that assignment done in a week?”

“She’s not going to go with me on a date. And if we try to date each other, it would be a big mess. It’s not going to happen.”

“Well, if I have to make it happen, then so be it.” She started to head off into the school.

“I don’t even know how that could work in the first place,” I asked myself.


After going through half of my classes, I was making my way to the cafeteria with my purple notebook with my Algebra II notes to look over before a test next period, when someone came out of one of the classrooms, crashing into me and knocking my stuff to the floor.

“Hey, watch it…oh you have got to be kidding me. AGAIN???” I looked up to see that it was Aria who crashed into me. “Why don’t you watch where you’re going, jerk.”

“Excuse me, but it was you who crashed into me!”

“Whatever. I’m out of here.” She grabbed her stuff, including her purple notebook, and left. I grabbed my stuff and made my way to the cafeteria.

I sat down at one of the small tables to eat while looking over my notes. I placed my purple notebook on the table to make sure I remember what was going to be on the Algebra II test, but when I opened the notebook, I saw what didn’t look like my own notes. It looked like music notes. I looked at the front of the book to see that it was Aria’s music notebook. That’s the only class that she can handle by herself without bullying anyone. Maybe she hopes to get her siren magic back, which I don’t see happening.

“Well, if she has my notes, they might as well be gone. I’ll just have to handle the test with what I have in my head. I know that’s the best I can do.” So I closed the notebook and went to finish my lunch. At that point, someone tapped my shoulder, surprising me in the process.

“Sorry if I scared you.” I saw that it was Sunset behind me. “I think this is yours.” She had a purple notebook in her hand. “And you might have Aria’s notebook by mistake.”

“I do. It’s right here.” I handed her Aria’s notebook and took my notebook that Sunset was holding.

“Adagio and me had to convince Aria to make the exchange with certain conditions, since this was her music notebook that she treasures. You might want to look at the end of your notes.” She walked back to sit with her friends for lunch.

I decided to take a look at what she was talking about in my notebook, only to find that there was a note on one of the blank pages.

Look, I heard that you are good in math, since this is your Algebra II notebook. I’m in Algebra I and have been trying to get others to do my work. But I’m not getting help when a test comes up and I need help. I might be regretting this, but I would like for you to tutor me in math so I can understand. I know you have my music notebook, which is something that I need, since music is my strong suite. If you can teach me Algebra I, I’ll help you get our Shop class assignment done in a week.

Aria

P.S. Sonata thinks that we are going on a date. So remember that this is not a DATE!!!

If this wasn’t the leverage that Adagio was talking about, I don’t know what is.


When I got to Shop class, Aria was at our station looking over the book that was in there. I looked at Adagio, who looked back at me and gave me a wink. I just gave a grin, knowing that she had something to do with this. I went over to our station to talk to Aria.

“So you need help understanding Algebra I?” I asked.

She sighs and said, “Yes, I do. I just wished I never bumped into you in the first place.”

“Well, now you’re stuck with me. And if you want me to help you, I need to see if you can finally understand what we have to do in this class.”

“Fine. I’ll listen this time. I just know Adagio would kill me if I didn’t.”

So we started working on our assignment, looking over what we need to do and how the program needed to be laid out. We worked on parts to see what would work and what wouldn’t. We only got a little bit done, but wrote down some notes in hopes to look them over this weekend before class started.

“So, is that enough to let you teach me how to understand Algebra I?” she asked.

“Well, I did do good on my Algebra II test earlier today, and you proved that you can get stuff done with some help, so I can tutor you on Algebra I…right now.

“Wait, you mean ‘now’ now?” she said.

“Well, more like in a few minutes,” I said. “Get your books that you need help and meet me outside. And don’t think you can back out of this.”

“Do I even have a choice?” She went out of the classroom to get her stuff. Adagio started to walk you towards me.

“Told you I can make it happen,” Adagio said.

“I just got lucky that she crashed into me at the right time,” I said.

“I’m sure you did,” she said with a giggle.

“Wait, did you have something to do with her crashing into me?”

“Maybe,” she responded, “but a siren doesn’t reveal all her secrets.”

“Too bad you’re not a siren.” She started to get angry, then just laughed it off. “Well, you’re a good siren at heart. One day, you’ll be able to sing without having to put anyone under your spell.”

“To sing naturally is all I want right now,” she said. “And I’ll let the fans decide if they like me or not.”