• Published 21st Sep 2015
  • 492 Views, 17 Comments

My Little Monster Hunters: Hunting is Survival - Unbound Bass



4 Ponies who would have never worked together under normal circumstances must now fight together to save the lives of innocent ponies. All while risking their own.

  • ...
 17
 492

Ch.1 As Fate Would Have It

Chapter 1: As Fate Would Have It


The brown stallion opened his eyes and was greeted with the sight of a dark red ceiling and the sounds of a bustling hub of...well...he had no idea. Dr. Whooves stood up and was greeted by the sight of three mares that were all in some kind of sleep state. He noticed the bustling ponies all around him. Every single one of them was clad in armor of all sorts and had some kind of weapon on their back. One of the other ponies began to stir. It was the golden one with the green hair that had pink streaks. She sat up on her haunches and rubbed her eyes.

"What in the name of Celestia happened last night?" The golden mare said slowly. "Wait where the heck am I?" She noticed the Doctor.

"Hello ma'am." The Doctor let out as the mare looked around some more. He noticed they all had some kind of clothing on. It wasn't armor like all of the ponies around them, but it was more some sort of undergarment.

"Oh...um...Hi Dr. Whooves. Where are we?" The golden mare asked calmly. The Doctor was taken aback.

"How did she know my name?" The Doctor was silent for a moment. He had a revelation when he recognized her. She was one of Derpy's friends.

"Miss Bass?" The Doctor questioned.

"Yep. That's me!" The mare said loudly. The other two mares began to wake. The Rainbow-haired one was the first to speak.

"It's too early Applejack. Stop trying to wake me up." She opened her eyes and took in her surroundings.

"What...the...buck?!?!" Rainbow Dash looked around some more and noticed a certain pony with purple hair with mint streaks.

"STARLIGHT GLIMMER!!! WHAT DID YOU DO!?!?"

"Wha-!!!" The mentioned mare could only let out a partial word before she was tackled by the Pegasus.

"WHERE IS APPLEJACK!?!?" Rainbow questioned aloud. She was beginning to draw a crowd.

"I don't know!!! Get off me!!!" The unicorn yelled as she picked up the cyan mare with her magic.

"What did you do?!?!" Rainbow screeched her question again.

"I didn't DO anything..." The unicorn took in her surroundings. "where are we?" The Doctor took a turn to speak up.

"I have no idea, and it isn't this Starlight Glimmer's fault...it's mine..." The stallion hung his head in shame.

"What did you do Doc'?" Bass asked softly.

"Let's just say I had a not-so happy accident..." The Doctor looked up at the three mares staring at him. "I do not know where we are or why you all are here. None of you were with me when it happened." A random pony in the crowd spoke up.

"You're in the Guild Gathering Hall for Hunters." The crowd began to dissipate.

"Hunters?" Rainbow Dash asked aloud.

"What do they mean by that?" Starlight continued Dash's question.

"Didn't you hear the Doc? We don't know what all this means." Bass said. She was currently surveying the surroundings more closely. She had approached a pony who seemed to be selling goods of all sorts. Around that time a group of four ponies walked in through the large doors to one side of the Gathering Hall. They all looked wounded. One of them had an entire foreleg missing, instead he had a bandage in its place. He seemed to be walking bipedal. The Doctor questioned how this was in his head then decided to test it for himself. He stood up and didn't seem to have trouble balancing. The two mares that were still with him followed suit.

"Awesome!!!" Rainbow screeched.

"Interesting..." Starlight said looking down and seemingly trying to figure out how this was. Bass came walking back to them, she was also on two hooves, she was carrying a book.

"I don't think you're going to like this everypony..." Bass said with a worried expression. "this world is based on some kind of hunting business that sends expeditions into the wild to slay or capture dangerous or important monsters."

"Intriguing..." The Doctor said. "That explains the weapons and armor, and the injured hunters over there."

"Does that mean we get weapons and armor too!?!?" Rainbow asked practically jumping up and down.

"Let's go see..." Starlight said. The group decided to stay together. They were all in the same boat, and it only made sense that they stuck together. The others followed Starlight out the door opposite to the one the injured came through. They were met with a desert city that was bustling with hunters and pony denizens alike. Starlight looked around then pointed to a sign that read...

Val Haybar Armory! New Hunters Welcome!

"Let's go get some equipment." Starlight said smiling.

"Awww yeah!!!" Rainbow yelled. The Pegasus noticed that Starlight seemed different. Rainbow simply thought that maybe the unicorn knew how serious their predicament was.

"Why do we need weapons and armor?" The Doctor questioned the unicorn mare.

"Well, do you have a way back Doctor?" Starlight looked back at him. The Doc was silent. "That's what I thought. If we are going to live here for an extended period of time we need some way to sustain ourselves. Food isn't going to be free ya' know."

"She's right Doc." Bass spoke up. The golden Pegasus had been reading more of the book. "We all have some money to start with I think."

The whole group checked their pockets. Sure enough everypony had a bag with some golden coins in it. They continued to walk to the armory. When they entered they all took in the sheer size and amount of weapons and armor that it had inside its wooden walls.

The pony behind the wooden counter shouted at them as soon as they walked in.

"Welcome to the Val Haybar Armory!!! Fresh Hunters I assume?" The stallion asked.

"Yes. Sir how much would it cost to get us the most basic equipment you have?" Starlight asked.

"One set of Derring Armor and one starter weapon of choice on the house for every new hunter!!! Anything after that is paid for."

"Then can you get us fitted for our equipment?" Starlight asked surprised slightly that something was free in this world.

"Yes ma'am I can!!! May I ask each of you what kind of weapon you'd like?"

"Ooooo!!!! Can I get that GIGANTIC sword???" Rainbow asked flying in circles.

"Yes you can!" The stallion matched her volume exactly. He wrote it down.

"May I get that staff there?" The Doc asked a bit more politely.

"Yessir." The stallion wrote that down as well.

"I'll take that sword there." Bass said.

"Sorry ma'am those come in pairs." The stallion said.

"Even better!!!" Bass yelled. It was almost as loud as Dash.

"I'd like that bow sir." Starlight said lastly.

"Of course." The stallion wrote the last one down. "Follow me."

The group complied and he took them to the back and pointed each to a set of armor for each of them.

"You can put those one while I get your weapons." The stallion trotted off.

The group each began putting on their armor. The sets were identical except for which gender they were for and the special holes they had for either wings or a horn.

The stallion came back and gave each pony the weapon they had requested.

"Happy Hunting!!!" The stallion shouted as they left the armory.

The group waved back. They noticed the bustle had died down. Rainbow was first to notice the bounty that was on the board near the Gathering Hall doors. It read...

Seltas spotted in the Everfree!!! Hunters needed!!! BEWARE!!! This Seltas is as big as they come be prepared!

"I think we have our first mission everypony." Dash said looking back at her new companions.