• Published 1st Oct 2015
  • 2,709 Views, 38 Comments

Wings- A Difficult Experience - Crimson_Moon



Twilight Sparkle is one of the brightest mares in Equestria, both in knowledge and friendship. For some reason however, the mare's wings are doing their best to destroy her sanity.

  • ...
10
 38
 2,709

First Lesson: How Wings Work

The next morning happened just like the one yesterday: Twilight woke up, a smile on her face and the sun cascading her room in a golden hue, breakfast was served, and she enjoyed every second of it. What was different however, was that Princess Celestia, ruler of Equestria and her mentor and friend, was splayed out on the couch downstairs, reading a few books from the Library, which ironically, was also where she lived.

“Good morning, Twilight!” Celestia set the book down. “You had a good night’s rest, I hope?” Her smile never faltered. However, the smile was just a façade. Inside, she was panicking profusely. Their lesson for today is pretty much going to be something that every embarrassed teen Pegasus already learned back in school, and well, no doubt the purple alicorn was going to be embarrassed too after the explanation. Still, she knew not of the faux mask her fellow Princess used to conceal her real emotions, so Twilight nodded with excitement and vigor, eager to be taught yet again by Princess Celestia!

Then, it occurred to the purple mare. Celestia was in her house, and wasn’t offered breakfast! Way to go, Twilight! Good job on treating your guest right! *gasp* what if she doesn’t want to teach me?

“Twilight.”

What if she banishes me to the sun?!

“Twilight…”

What if she banishes me to the sun, and forbids me to never learn again?!

“TWILIGHT SPARKLE!” Celestia didn’t want to watch the flurry of worried expressions on her faithful student any longer. Yelling seemed a bit harsh, but everypony needs a good kick in the flank to snap back to reality every so often. Twilight Sparkle was no exception. Needless to say, it did the trick.

“Would you, um, like some breakfast, Princess?” the purple alicorn sheepishly smiled.

I should have expected that she’d freak out over something as simple as breakfast. Celestia thought. “It’s fine, Twilight. Spike already made me something to eat.” A lie, but still enough to satisfy her student.

“Speaking of, where did he run off to? I saw him last night, but there was no trace of him this morning!”

The Princess chuckled. “It’s alright, Twilight. I sent him off to…Rarity’s? I think that was the name.” I really need to memorize the names of Twilight’s friends when I get a chance…

“Oh,” she chuckled nervously. “Good.”

The next few hours were spent catching up amongst one another over a cup of tea. It was a nice chat of different subjects. Celestia droned on about the various treaties and paperwork that she had to go through, while Twilight talked about her friends, and lessons she learned ever since the coronation. The pearl alicorn always thought that talking was always pleasant when between her and her faithful student. They made her actually smile, not like that mask she uses to hide so many emotions that she buries deep within the subconscious. Reality snapped back however, when said student asked the question.

“Where should we begin, Princess?” the mare said.

Gently, Celestia set down her tea and put it to the side, an indicator that school was back in session. “Please Twilight, call me Celestia. We’re both royalty now and alone to boot! We don’t need to be formal right now.” She held Twilight’s forelegs with a gentle grace to comfort her. Then she realized what her body just did, and shot her hooves back to the ground, earning a blush on her cheeks and a slight twitch in her wings. Before her student could speak, the lesson started.

“Lesson One:” she said, bringing a chalkboard closer, and using her magic to write the words.

“Pegasus physiology.”

Ever the diligent student, the purple alicorn already had a quill and some parchment to take notes on the side just in case. A hoof shot up almost immediately before continuing. “Yes, Twilight?”

“Pr-Celestia, Why are we learning Pegasus physiology? Why not alicorn physiology?”

“Hmm. That is a good question, Twilight.” Celestia answered. “If I’m not mistaken, you already know how to use your horn, and know how the rest of your body works, right?” She received a nod from the eager student.

“Then the answer should be clear, don't you think?" She smiled. "Moving on,” Celestia said, whilst writing on the chalkboard. “A Pegasus has many different traits due to their wings that allow numerous feats.” She drew a detailed diagram of the wing of a pegasus. “Each wing holds around 3500 different feathers that allow for flight. The Primary feathers are most essential, as these are the longest feathers on the body that can be fully rotated for thrust. Without these, Pegasi would not be able to fly forward with the speed they have, and would be very difficult on account of wind resistance. They are also exceptionally painful to remove.”

She peeked over to her student, and noticed that her wings were splayed out, and Twilight was studying them. Twilight yanked on one of her primaries with magic, and found out that Celestia was right. “I told you, Twilight!” the pearl alicorn chuckled. Clearing her throat, she continued the lesson. “The magical aspects of a Pegasus’ wings are due to a gland just behind the connecting tendon to the pony’s body. It is highly sensitive, and is popularly known as the…” she paused, putting on a more embarrassed look and blushing profusely. “T-the, um…” the more she talked the more flustered she got, and the more tongue tied too!

“The…what?” Twilight tilted her head innocently.

With a sigh of defeat, Celestia finally found the words. “The ‘Pegasus G-Spot’.”

Now it was Twilight’s turn to get some red in her cheeks. “S-so, y-you mean that if I-”

“Yes.”

“And another pony-”

“Yes”

“And they want to-”

“Please, Twilight I can only say the word so many times!”

The purple mare stopped her stammering, but her wings weren’t finished talking. They popped out, and became stiff, like many nights before.

“They did it again!” Twilight exclaimed with annoyance. She tried pushing them down with magic, just like before but only popped out yet again, breaking the grip her horn had around them.

“Twilight, you need to listen: If you keep forcing them down, the worse off you’ll be.” Celestia said in a calming voice.
She couldn’t her mentor anymore. The mare was frantically trying to push them down. “Why won’t they go down? WHY WON’T THEY GO DOWN?” She tried harder this time, using both her hooves and her magic, before Celestia held her tightly. The purple alicorn started hyperventilating, panicking more than ever.

“You need to stop, Twilight! It won’t help!”

Her eyes looked at Celestia, but panic gripped her so much, that it was doubtful that she could hear anything, so Celestia did the only thing
she thought of doing, and slapped her back into reality.

She held her cheek that the Princess struck. She still had a bit of panic filling those lavender eyes. Another slap, this time on the other cheek.

“I’m sorry Twilight.” She hugged her student.

“What’s wrong with my wings?” Twilight sobbed into her mentor’s barrel.

Oh Twilight, you really have no idea, do you?

“Shh, it’s okay. It’s nothing to be scared about.” She held her student close, letting her sob away the night.

We took longer than I thought…

“I’m here for you, Twilight, always and forever.”

The sobbing continued well through the night, close to lunar apex. It finally died down around midnight. “Twilight, are you okay?” she asked her student. No response came.

“Twilight?” still nothing. She let go of the hug, and looked at the mare before her. She was fast asleep, lightly snoring. “My faithful student.” She smiled. The sight was very adorable: the purple Alicorn’s head nestled deeply into the fur of Princess Celestia. Her muzzle had a soft smile on it, like nothing would make her happier than using her teacher as a comfortable pillow. That’s how it started: Celestia’s sprout of love for her student. Nothing more than a seedling, but still there. Not even daring to move a muscle, Celestia levitated over a quill and some parchment that Twilight still kept beside her. She wrote a letter to Spike, telling him to take the day off tomorrow, and go have fun in the town.

“Tomorrow will be different.” She smiled.


“W-why don’t you stay the night, Spikey-wikey?” Rarity fluttered her eyes at the baby dragon.

It took him most of his willpower to fight the urge to just jump up and say yes, but Twilight needed her, and he knew how bad of a cook she was in the mornings! Not to mention, having the Princess over was probably making her a nervous wreck. “I… I wish I could say yes, Rarity. You have no idea how badly I want this!” he exclaimed. “But Twilight needs me. I hope you understand, Rarity.”

Drat! He won’t budge. Rarity thought, so she went for Plan B: the Guilt Trip.

Putting on her best sniffling, betrayed face, Rarity stammered “B-but don’t you *sniff* like me?” her eyes turned into soaked dinner plates, and she could have sworn that she heard the dragon’s heartstrings break, one by one.Gotcha! hook,line, and-. Suddenly, he looked like he was going to barf, earning a disgusted gasp and a look of shock from Rarity. “Of all the rude-”

The dragon burped, and out popped a letter, neatly rolled up. “Ooh, is that a letter, spike?” she asked curiously.

“Yeah, it must be from Twilight.” He read the letter, and his entire body brightened up. “On second thought Rarity, I’ll take you up on that offer!”

Finally! I thought I’d never be able to get the dragon to leave the two lovebirds alone!

He rushed up the stairs to the spare room that he has slept in many a night when it got too late after helping his super crush with fashion, and with Twilight’s approval.

The unicorn picked up the letter, and read it.

Dear Spike the Dragon,
It has come to my attention that you have been stressed out lately, and could use a break. As my power holds, I bestow upon you one vacation day, and leave up to you what that day will be filled with.

With all the warmest regards,

Princess Celestia of Equestria

Her smile grew 10 sizes after reading the letter. “Ooh, you are quite the smitten kitten, aren’t you Princess?” she said aloud.

Rarity turned to her calendar. “Only 3 more days until the date! Oh, I hope you and Twilight will like it!” she beamed.

Author's Note:

Naught but the beginnings of fluff! Still super-cute, or at least i thought!

Also for clarification, i pretty took most of the feathers and stuff off of google and wikipedia, and am in no way an expert of birds. The feather count is based on how many a bald eagle has, which according to the WWF, is 7000 total, so i just divided the number in half, and said that was how many were on each wing of a Pegasus. It seemed like a good number, so i moved on to the primaries.

According to Wikipedia, the primaries are used for thrust in a bird's flight, and can be rotated to minimize wind resistance.

It being painful to remove i added for the story's sake. Not sure if they are painful to remove or not.

Also, Lunar Apex is just a fancy word for "Midnight"